Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Zelda - Tears of the Kingdom - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Zelda - Tears of the Kingdom

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    Reviews are in. I guess it's ok then?

IGN- 10/10
    VGC- 10/10
    GameSpot- 10/10
    Metro- 10/10
    Inverse- 10/10
    ComicBook- 10/10
    Checkpoint- 10/10
    CGMagazine- 10/10
    Nintendo Life- 10/10
    God is a Geek- 10/10
    Screen Rant - 10/10
    Game Informer- 9.75/10
    Digitally Downloaded- 9/10
    The Guardian- 5/5
    Empire- 5/5
    I really, really, REALLY need a switch. 

A friend of mine works at Head Office for GAME, and can use his discount on pre-owned consoles, so I might have to take advantage of that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If I do get Tears of the Kingdom I'm going to do my first run without a map and without teleporting. I did a mapless, no-teleport run of Breath of the Wild and it was far more enjoyable that way. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2517
    tFB Trader
    I havent played a Zelda since the wind waker.... I do have a switch and have Skyward Sword to play yet... I am thinking of not bothering with it and just getting the new one?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    The new one is looking like being one of the all time greats, even better than BOTW that is already one of the all time greats. 

Skyward Sword is fine but not on the same level imo (and most others' opinions too!)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader
    The new one is looking like being one of the all time greats, even better than BOTW that is already one of the all time greats. 

Skyward Sword is fine but not on the same level imo (and most others' opinions too!)
    So if I dont bother with Skyward Sword, should I play BOTW first?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    It shows taking your time and not rush it pays off.  

I haven’t ordered it yet but I think I will now!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Rabs said:

No need - it’s not heavily related. No Zelda games ever are because they always want new folks to have fun
    It shows taking your time and not rush it pays off.  

I haven’t ordered it yet but I think I will now!
    Same. I pretty much knew I would but wanted to wait for the reviews. It’s Joe downloaded and ready. Tomorrow evening’s going to be amazing
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    I have zero interest in this, and that makes me sad. I'd rather play Link's Awakening or something again instead. 

I'm sure its an amazing game, but it (and BOTW) are not Zelda games in my eyes. Zelda is about story and dungeons, not fannying around in a massive open world sandbox collecting seeds. 

I have further clouds to shout at so will stick to that. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    This one does apparently have dungeons, and a lot of very good puzzle-based shrines, if that helps. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    BOTW has a lot of story, just not told in the usual way.

I have high expectations  for this, and it's place in the bigger Zelda story.  Hope I'm not disappointed 
  • LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1179
    Can’t afford it this month but definitely getting it as soon as I can. Got a 2 week stint on an off shore lighthouse coming up and I need something to keep me off the rum. 
    Loved BOTW and still dipping into it, recently finished Link’s Awakening HD which took me right back to my gameboy days so can’t wait to get into TOTK
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 958
    game unlocked time to play :-D
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

edited May 2023 tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

No need - it’s not heavily related. No Zelda games ever are because they always want new folks to have fun
    More to the point.. Its that if BOTW is that good and I play the new one first and then go backwards, I may find it disappointing compared? If you see what I mean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 958
    well after playing the game for about 4 hours now i can say that it is amazing (am still currently on the first map part of the game).

i don't think many people will be disappointed with it tbh.
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Rabs said:
    I havent played a Zelda since the wind waker.... I do have a switch and have Skyward Sword to play yet... I am thinking of not bothering with it and just getting the new one?
    Skyward Sword is peanuts compared to BOTW, a brilliant game with good story, individual choice/agency, seamless controls and tons of fun challenges.  I don’t think it’s a bad idea to get BOTW prior to TOTK, but obvs I can’t say that it’s necessary.  
    edited May 2023
    Rabs said:
    Rabs said:

More to the point.. Its that if BOTW is that good and I play the new one first and then go backwards, I may find it disappointing compared? If you see what I mean.
    That may be fair. i don’t think you can go wrong with either though
    Cranky said:
    Rabs said:
    Skyward Sword is peanuts compared to BOTW, a brilliant game with good story, individual choice/agency, seamless controls and tons of fun challenges.  I don’t think it’s a bad idea to get BOTW prior to TOTK, but obvs I can’t say that it’s necessary.  
    Skyward sword is okay as a zelda game, but suffered from its frustrating motion controls.

What makes it still worth playing is its place in the Zelda story.  I'm hoping that we soon see why they chose to re-release it prior to TOTK.

Just waiting for an Amazon delivery today...I want a physical copy of this.  The delivery "by 11pm" message does not make me happy
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086

I bought Skyward Sword a while ago as I enjoyed it on the Wii and my first thought was "oh yeah, it's got this weird way of moving about". I shall still play it to a finish eventually, but it isn't the greatest game ever.

I played TotK for an hour last night and got to the first shrine - I'll be playing it a lot later once I've picked my daughter up.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    It begins… 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Rabs said:

You should play BOTW regardless of any other consideration on any subject whatsoever. It is a lovely game. Not flawless, but essential playing nevertheless. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I started BOTW today and played it for 3 hours when I was supposed to be working.

It's a great game. Hoping that when I have it wrapped up (which it seems won't be for a while, the game looks massive), I'll move onto TOTK.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Am also playing it! Remember that guy who said that his cousin was in hospital and completed BOTW in 10 hours or something. I often think about that :lol: 
  • I will get TOTK but wait for it I have been playing BOTW for 4 years on and off admitdly with large  gaps. 200 hrs of play. Not even gone to Hyrule castle yet lol. The new one is even bigger and sure will be a master piece as well. 
    Working my way through all the shrines then will beat Ganon. I have to finish it first lol or i will never forgive my self. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086

Game time so far: five or six hours

Number of vehicles created which have left without me: two

I am having fun despite that ;) and enjoying the new skills.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    edited May 2023
    I have fallen off many gliders

And now MrsF has taken over so I won’t get the Switch back for HOURS
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    I am shit at building stuff. My brain doesn't work like that! 
    I am shit at building stuff. My brain doesn't work like that! 
    My brain is ok-ish but I wish I could rotate in the other dimension...
    I just spent about an hour on Makasura Shrine near Kakariko. I was *this close* to doing it be building bridges uselign counterweights when I gave up and Googled it. There is a Zonai -related option that takes maybe 10 seconds. 

I feel foolish…

I'm loving it. 

I love that it rewards "cheating", or innovative thinking if you prefer.

I've done 3 of the 4 main story temples and got all the tears/master sword.  At that point I decided to slow right down and do as many side quests and shrines as possible as I just don't want to get too far

I've still barely touched the depths or sky???