Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Zelda - Tears of the Kingdom - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Zelda - Tears of the Kingdom

What's Hot
Big gameplay video just out and looks amazing :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6qna-ZCbxA
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    In the spirit of slyly shitting on people's for sale threads, I have no interest in Zelda but that looks bloody amazing
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    I'm looking forward to it.

It comes out the day before my wedding.

Thankfully I am marrying a Zelda fan, so there is a good chance we will be playing this for some of the honeymoon :D 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • randellarandella Frets: 3847
    Preordered it for my wife's birthday. She's a massive Zelda fan, put God-knows how many hours into Breath of the Wild.

Hopefully she hasn't also got into reading niche guitar forums as well. Although she's dropped enough hints about getting it, so it won't massively spoil the surprise :lol:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    WezV said:
    I'm looking forward to it.

It comes out the day before my wedding.

Thankfully I am marrying a Zelda fan, so there is a good chance we will be playing this for some of the honeymoon :D 
    Nice! And congrats!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 958
    edited March 2023
    i am not going to watch the video as i want to play the game without any pre knowledge of what is going on etc.

am very much looking forward to it though (haven't pre ordered it as i just bought a guitar/some locking tuners so no funds at present).
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It doesn't give much away, just demonstrates some new abilities

Imagine if someone showed 10 minutes of breath of the wild. You couldn't spoil much of the story in that time
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1416
    I’m really, really going to have to buy a Switch
  • ah thanks @WezV ; i will check out the video 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

I am massively caught up in the fan theories for this one.

Mostly to do with the links to Skyward Sword, which was conveniently re-released recently.  We all wanted a remake of Twilight Princess,  but that isn't what they gave us???

Skyward sword was one of the poorest selling games, but massively important in Zelda lore being the first in the timeline.

Breath of the wild was the latest in the timeline, and heavily referenced Skyward in a lot of subtle ways. Tears seems to have even more of that in more obvious ways.

Given the trailers we have seen so far it seems likely we will be creating a new master sword to seal away the ancient evil once and for all, and seeing more of the links between Zelda and the Goddess Hylia.... just like Skyward. 

The logo also suggests we are going full circle.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • i really wanted to like skyward sword (i have played both the wii version and the switch) but just couldn't get to grips with the motion controls and the joystick flicking on the switch version unfortunately. it is a great game apart from that for sure.

That's the problem with it.  It was constrained by what they could do at the time, and the switch version is still only slightly better.

The ideas they had for it were much grander, and finally started to be seen in BOTW.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2517
    tFB Trader
    It is amazing what they can do on a Switch..  That draw distance on the video looks mighty impressive.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    i really wanted to like skyward sword (i have played both the wii version and the switch) but just couldn't get to grips with the motion controls and the joystick flicking on the switch version unfortunately. it is a great game apart from that for sure.
    Breath of the Wild was my first Zelda experience.  So, naturally, Skyward Sword was disappointing, the controls were terrible.  I just let the kids play that one.

But the kids are counting down the days until Tears of the Kingdom.  Zelda has made for great bonding at my house.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    am very much looking forward to it though (haven't pre ordered it as i just bought a guitar/some locking tuners so no funds at present).

@racefaceec90 Not a PRS SE Standard 24-08 by any chance?
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    edited March 2023
    But it ain’t Windwaker or Twilight Princess..   

I will give BOTW a 3rd go, but it just never sticks for some reason.. too many weapons breaking all the time became boring very quickly.
    edited March 2023
    But it ain’t Windwaker or Twilight Princess..   

I will give BOTW a 3rd go, but it just never sticks for some reason.. too many weapons breaking all the time became boring very quickly.
    I feel like I'm the only person on earth who didn't have an issue with that. 

Anyway, if you'd watched the video you'd be relieved to know there is a new Fuse ability that lets you stick stuff together to make bigger more durable weapons... 

This is a stick and a rock:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited March 2023
    I didn't like the weapons thing, but it quickly becomes a relatively minor issue as you progress through the game. 

I would love a re-release of windwaker and twilight, but still have both  on the gamecube.

I've never had Wind Waker - it's the only 3D Zelda I haven't played (or completed, for that matter). 

I wasn't that bothered by Twilight Princess as it just felt like a retread of Ocarina, but would be happy to play it again if they release the HD version on Switch
  • Brio said:

@racefaceec90 Not a PRS SE Standard 24-08 by any chance?
    yes it is  hopefully will arrive on friday :-)

• BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    I've been following the saga on Singletrack under my nomme de cycle of Eddiebaby.
    edited March 2023
    Brio said:
    I've been following the saga on Singletrack under my nomme de cycle of Eddiebaby.
    ah that explains it :-D nice to see you here :-) 

edit i have to admit that windwaker and twilight princess are my 2 favourite zelda games (have a wii u with the hd remasters but also completed the gc versions). fantastic games.

• CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Btw, Zelda music is also lovely and readily available on Apple Music etc.

I’m happy to say that it is responsible, in part, for inspiring my youngest to take up music.  Flute and piano.
  • Recently finished Link’s Awakening HD on Switch which brought back happy memories of my old GameBoy. 
    Still dipping into BOTW now and then. I’ve finished the main quest and found all the shrines so mainly just exploring. Considering the expansion pack to tide me over til TOTK is released. 
    And yes, the music has always been a highlight. 
  • i did watch the video in the end and i have to say the game looks amazing (both looks and what you can do with new mechanics too).

i do love botw but i just cannot get into playing it much as i'm rubbish at games tbh and prefer to watch others playing it on twitch etc. although the open world is fantastic and i do love just wandering about.   am not trying to slate the game at all i must add as it is one of the best games ever made for sure.

i will definitely be buying the game for sure :-)

edited May 2023
    well i am definitely looking forward to playing it in 3 days time (bought the digital download version).

i have done my best not to read or see anything about the game bar the nintendo videos and have been replaying botw in readiness also (am rubbish at both but man what a game it is/love just wandering exploring). 

hopefully the game won't be overly complex regarding controls timing etc for an old gaming duffer like myself :-D

edit for some reason i can shield return the guardian lasers now a lot better than i could before and also discovered shield surfing too (i know i am the last person on earth just about to have discovered this feat of travel). 

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    I really liked Zelda on first release...cant help thinking the graphics area little too retro for me now...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    I really liked Zelda on first release...cant help thinking the graphics area little too retro for me now...
    I will never understand why people think games that aren't falling over themselves to look like photos are any less fun
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086

I took ages to buy BotW and even stopped playing it for a little while as I wasn't getting into it (mostly because riding a horse was a pain to begin with) but absolutely loved it eventually.

I have the new one pre-ordered so I will be playing it on Friday.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Just watched all the trailers. It looks bloody amazing!
    Reviews are in. I guess it's ok then?

IGN- 10/10
    VGC- 10/10
    GameSpot- 10/10
    Metro- 10/10
    Inverse- 10/10
    ComicBook- 10/10
    Checkpoint- 10/10
    CGMagazine- 10/10
    Nintendo Life- 10/10
    God is a Geek- 10/10
    Screen Rant - 10/10
    Game Informer- 9.75/10
    Digitally Downloaded- 9/10
    The Guardian- 5/5
    Empire- 5/5
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter