Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Silver Sky SE - only £599 - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Silver Sky SE - only £599

What's Hot

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4008
    sweepy said:
    If there was a maple board version for £599, it’d be in my hands now  ;)

You might be in luck....  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    dazzajl said:
    It’s going to be great playing guitar isn’t it but what a gopping range of colours. 
    The colours are decent in person, just do not photograph well. 
    I stand totally corrected!! Saw the M*A*S*H green one today and it’s gorgeous. A really well made guitar that feels amazing and plays so nicely. 

Anyone looking for a new Strat in the £600 range who doesn’t get one of these is an idiot. And I say that as big fan of Squier and Mexi Fenders. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Mine arrived today from Peach via Reverb, even got the £50 off code to work! Went for the Moon White (Custard). Haven't bought from Peach before was a little surprised to find guitar only single boxed with a little foam to the top and bottom of the box then more padding around headstock in the gig bag, but got here in one piece.

A few dirty marks on the neck (thankfully came off with a bit rubbing) and two pieces of loose solder in the pickup cavity that were rattling round were the only issues.

Been 22 years since I bought my last 'brand new' guitar (still own that guitar too), early days but very impressed so far.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mark123 said:
    I welcome this mainly as there will probably be plenty around the £400-450 mark secondhand next year. 
    Thats what i was thinking but if the new batch next year go back to £800+++ S/H these will sell for at least the same price if not more.
    I welcome this mainly as there will probably be plenty around the £400-450 mark secondhand next year. 
    I remember buying 2 2015 LP Jnrs for £270, and they were everywhere at that price. They are now £750 now.  
    Gilly said:
    I doubt it because the new price will be going up so the 2nd hand price will inevitably rise when you can no longer buy these new for £599.
    I get all those points, but I think the initial shortage has given way to an oversupply (these are SE rather than USA models after all), and we are headed into a recession so (a) fewer people will be buying new especially if the prices go up, and (b) lots of impulse purchases will end up being offloaded.

Anyway, it’s not the right time for me to buy - I encourage others to do the same so there are more for me to pick from next year
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I am still tempted by these. Also the discount S2 McCarty SC's at Andertons
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mark123 said:
    Thats what i was thinking but if the new batch next year go back to £800+++ S/H these will sell for at least the same price if not more.
    I remember buying 2 2015 LP Jnrs for £270, and they were everywhere at that price. They are now £750 now.  
    Gilly said:
    I doubt it because the new price will be going up so the 2nd hand price will inevitably rise when you can no longer buy these new for £599.
    I get all those points, but I think the initial shortage has given way to an oversupply (these are SE rather than USA models after all), and we are headed into a recession so (a) fewer people will be buying new especially if the prices go up, and (b) lots of impulse purchases will end up being offloaded.

Anyway, it’s not the right time for me to buy - I encourage others to do the same so there are more for me to pick from next year
    It was probably part marketing/part covid that led to the initial low supply. Now there are absolutely loads out there hence £599. Be interesting to see how the market reacts at +£400 and a recession. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Very, very tempted by one of these.

Has anyone actually bought and been living with one of this PRS SE Silver Skys?  They seem to impress everyone in the shop!

I can't exactly pop to Andertons or Peach to buy one, but tempted!

Might become my new default guitar for where I'm not just hammering at something with humbuckers, does it do a good Gilmour as well as Mayer?!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My mate bought one of the green ones when they first dropped to 599, having recently sold his USA SS.  He has also previously owned a Suhr Classic amongst many other strats.
    He is seriously impressed with it.  Visited earlier for a catch up and he’s let me borrow it for a few days.
    Now, I’m really a tele player, but have owned a number of strats over the years at various price points. The only one that has stuck around is an old roadworn 60’s strat that I’ve stuck a Dimarzio SDS1 in the bridge.
    If I was looking for a strat right now, I’d have no hesitation in buying one of the SE’s on offer.
    It does everything you need a strat to do really well. Stays in tune, plays nicely, fretwork and overall finish is great and sounds really nice.
    Pickups sound stratty, without being weak or scratchy. The bridge pickup works very well.
    I’d quite happily gig this thing tonight without any worries.
    My only problem now is talking myself into not buying one. The green finish is lovely. As mentioned above, much nicer than the photos let on.
  • DrHungryDrHungry Frets: 104
    Has anyone actually bought and been living with one of this PRS SE Silver Skys?  They seem to impress everyone in the shop!
    I've had one about 6 months and I'm still very happy with it. My original thoughts haven't really changed, it's comfy to play and sounds nice and strattish to my ears. It's stood up to gigging but admittedly plays second fiddle to a tele (it never complains though).

I'm not really up to emulating Mayer or Gilmour but the pickups seem versatile enough to me. Here's my entry for Solo Of The Month from earlier this year which features the SS SE for all the lead parts - seems to cover quacky, spiky and fat well enough (if I say so myself  )

My only gripe with it is that I bought it used for £100 more than you can pick them up new now 
  • DrHungry said:
    I've had one about 6 months and I'm still very happy with it. My original thoughts haven't really changed, it's comfy to play and sounds nice and strattish to my ears. It's stood up to gigging but admittedly plays second fiddle to a tele (it never complains though).

I'm not really up to emulating Mayer or Gilmour but the pickups seem versatile enough to me. Here's my entry for Solo Of The Month from earlier this year which features the SS SE for all the lead parts - seems to cover quacky, spiky and fat well enough (if I say so myself  )

My only gripe with it is that I bought it used for £100 more than you can pick them up new now 
    I need to get back into SoTM , if for nothing else to hear some exciting and inspiring entries . That sounded fantastic Dr Hungry
    I ordered one :)

Hopefully coming tomorrow... incoming NGD!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2170
    I feel sorry for the dealers like World Guitars who persist with their £899 examples. Three hundred quid is a big percentage difference.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Strat54 said:
    I feel sorry for the dealers like World Guitars who persist with their £899 examples. Three hundred quid is a big percentage difference.

It's a very competitive market right now.  GAK's January sale is starting now and they have the Hollowbody IIs at £825 and £819 and a Standard at £829 while the Silver Sky's are £799 except for the Moon White which is £979.

It's a crazy world.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Mine has arrived and is a beautiful thing, fantastically well put together and very nicely set up.

Need to have a proper play :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rlw said:
    Strat54 said:

It's a very competitive market right now.  GAK's January sale is starting now and they have the Hollowbody IIs at £825 and £819 and a Standard at £829 while the Silver Sky's are £799 except for the Moon White which is £979.

It's a crazy world.
    Hollowbody is under £500 in some places. Utter madness. Very cheap feeling guitar though, after going to try one to buy I think they are overpriced. 
  • rlw said:
    Strat54 said:

It's a crazy world.
    Hollowbody is under £500 in some places. Utter madness. Very cheap feeling guitar though, after going to try one to buy I think they are overpriced. 
    Where??
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    rlw said:
    Strat54 said:

It's a crazy world.
    Where??

Yeah what he said 
    Mine has arrived and is a beautiful thing, fantastically well put together and very nicely set up.

Oof this isn't helping lol. I am on the fence having already sprung for an S2 592
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1257
    edited December 2022
    rlw said:
    Strat54 said:

It's a crazy world.
    Where??
    +2....
    I had a look online and £575 is the cheapest.
    roberty said:

Oof this isn't helping lol. I am on the fence having already sprung for an S2 592
    If you want a Strat, this is a really good deal. The neck feels lovely and won’t disappoint. Aaaaaand since the prices will almost certainly go up, if you bail down the road it shouldn’t be to painful. 

Captain Enabler, at your service;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajl said:
    Nah, buy my LPB roadworn one for £625 instead ;)
    dazzajl said:
    Vinteras are nice but not a fan of the 7.25" radius. Good deal for someone who is!
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1271
    8.5 is actually a really nice radius for vintage feel but also not feeling like the top E is falling off the fretboard (honestly this is how I feel about all 7.25. Might just be my cack handed playing though!) The 9.5 on a lot of Fender CS stuff, of which I have a Strat, is super comfortable too but the neck does feel a bit wider and not quite as vintage. 

Like I say to everyone that asks, the SE Silver Sky is the best £599 you’ll spend. I have had loads of guitars and I have friends in the industry so hang around lots of guitars and I will stand by that statement. The neck is of a quality that the PRS core line would be proud of. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    rlw said:
    Strat54 said:

It's a crazy world.
    I'm guessing, but I bet they did not buy any, or were not offered any at the crazy deal price that PRS UK will have offered to 'select' dealers, pre Christmas - Hence their dealer cost price will be higher, hence the higher 'asking' price 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    rlw said:
    Strat54 said:

It's a crazy world.
    I'm guessing, but I bet they did not buy any, or were not offered any at the crazy deal price that PRS UK will have offered to 'select' dealers, pre Christmas - Hence their dealer cost price will be higher, hence the higher 'asking' price 
    World Guitars only have any SS SEs because it was a condition of ordering certain Core models
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    TimmyO said:
    rlw said:
    Strat54 said:

It's a crazy world.
    World Guitars only have any SS SEs because it was a condition of ordering certain Core models
    And going back 5 years ago, or so, that is one reason I dropped my PRS dealership - At the time I was in the top 3/4 UK dealers, even hit #1 one year, based on turnover with PRS UK - But it changed when we could not just cherry pick the USA Core models , which was effectively my gig/strength - I did not want to be an S2 or SE stockists, but it was expected of me, so I choose to walk away 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    edited December 2022
    Strat54 said:
    Feel sorry for World Guitars ?!?!

Wow. There lack of flexibility in the marketplace is well known, imho.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2091
    Right, I’m going to pull the trigger today. 

Thinking the green one, but haven’t seen it in the flesh. Reminds me of Clapton’s 7up strat. Any opinions on colours, now a few have them in their hands? 

I like the red, but not for £100 extra. 
    Barnezy said:
    Right, I’m going to pull the trigger today. 

Thinking the green one, but haven’t seen it in the flesh. Reminds me of Clapton’s 7up strat. Any opinions on colours, now a few have them in their hands? 

I like the red, but not for £100 extra. 
    I thought the green was far far nicer in the flesh than it looks in any photos. Not a million miles from Fender’s (should have been called) M*A*S*H’ocaster.