Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 11th February 2023, Firebird Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 11th February 2023, Firebird Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited February 2023
    roberty said:

...I can do the rhythm on Symphony of Destruction and I'm confident you can play a face melting solo @stratman3142, there are no key changes in the solo and it's in E
    I've just made a chart for myself for Symphony Of Destruction, so I can help out on rhythm. I'll have to improvise a solo on the spot though as I'll never remember the original, so don't build your hopes up

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594

Die Laughing (Therapy)
    @Jonathangus, as you're doing vocals and guitar, do you need another guitar to back you up?
    If so. are there any takers?
    I could do guitar, but then we'll need someone to do bass. I've done a tab for the bass if it helps.

If we need to drop some, are there any very simple tunes that the singers know that we can throw in at short notice to jam on?

Will either need someone to add some guitar, or take over the singing.  Playing single chords on the beat is about my limit if I'm trying to sing at the same time.

If the guitar, bass and drums are sorted I can step in on Vocals - they are more in my range so should be able to muddle through once Ive made a song sheet.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:
    roberty said:
    @stratman3142 can you send me the spreadsheet? I'm too lazy to filter the usernames manually lol

Hopefully the link below will work for anyone that wants to download the spreadsheet.

https://app.box.com/s/cfk4dbnq0r5ffkcf38p56zwxpac1dklr

Got it, thanks. I filtered it down to these members.

I'll start a group chat in a bit. With 9 people that would be £17.77 each

bobblehat
    Brocco
    Jonathangus
    mart
    mrkb
    onlyonebradders
    roberty
    stratman3142
    Vibetronic
    Am I forwarding the money to yourself again Rob? Still have details from last time.
    @roberty What times do we have the room booked for? Am dropping the wife at her mates in Bristol so need to give her likely timing.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Is it 9-5? 10-6? Anyone know?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    As usual, I'm not going to manage to be there much before 10:30.
  • mrkb said:

Die Laughing (Therapy)
    @Jonathangus, as you're doing vocals and guitar, do you need another guitar to back you up?
    If so. are there any takers?
    I could do guitar, but then we'll need someone to do bass. I've done a tab for the bass if it helps.

If we need to drop some, are there any very simple tunes that the singers know that we can throw in at short notice to jam on?

Will either need someone to add some guitar, or take over the singing.  Playing single chords on the beat is about my limit if I'm trying to sing at the same time.

If the guitar, bass and drums are sorted I can step in on Vocals - they are more in my range so should be able to muddle through once Ive made a song sheet.
    Cool - I'll stick with the guitar then.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• mrkb said:
    The website says the opening times on a Saturday are 2pm to 6pm. Am I missing something?

It's not a competition.
    mrkb said:
    The website says the opening times on a Saturday are 2pm to 6pm. Am I missing something?

I saw 10am-11pm somewhere. My wife wants to know when she can visit her mate in Bristol, so Im getting hassled! What time is the booking @roberty ?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    mrkb said:
    mrkb said:

I saw 10am-11pm somewhere. My wife wants to know when she can visit her mate in Bristol, so Im getting hassled! What time is the booking @roberty ?
    Pretty sure it's 10-6, I am double checking now. Will start a group message with payment details today
    @mrkb the booking is for 9-5 but we can change this to 10-6 if we prefer. I said to leave it for now unless there is a preference in the group for the later time
    edited February 2023
    roberty said:
    @mrkb the booking is for 9-5 but we can change this to 10-6 if we prefer. I said to leave it for now unless there is a preference in the group for the later time
    Thanks - Ive got a 2 1/4 hour drive to get there so 10 is better for me, but can get there for 9.30 if majority prefer a 9am start.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • If we've got the room from 9, those of us that are local can spend the first hour or so getting drum kits and amps set up, with a view to starting around 10-ish.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• roberty said:

...I can do the rhythm on Symphony of Destruction and I'm confident you can play a face melting solo @stratman3142, there are no key changes in the solo and it's in E
    I've just made a chart for myself for Symphony Of Destruction, so I can help out on rhythm. I'll have to improvise a solo on the spot though as I'll never remember the original, so don't build your hopes up

I shouldn’t worry too much… I’m guaranteed to f*** up in the half time bits!
    roberty said:

I shouldn’t worry too much… I’m guaranteed to f*** up in the half time bits!
    Ironically I've memorised the solo but I can't fucking play it (!)

If we've got the room from 9, those of us that are local can spend the first hour or so getting drum kits and amps set up, with a view to starting around 10-ish.
    That's a good idea

If we're looking to pad out the song list Pretty Vacant was fun last time
  • Pretty Vacant, Teenage Kicks, Rocking In The Free World and Wishing Well are all possible simple options if someone can sing them.
    It's not a competition.
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 77
    Although a soul song, Knock On Wood could be a good option to busk on the day. Clapton and Bowie have both done covets, and we could extend the shuffle in A and E for some extended soloing. 

Would be happy to play on Wishing Well again, and take a turn in the band for Teenage Kicks and Rocking In The Free World.

Sunshine Of Your Love could be another option for busk8ng on the day.
    Logistics: how is the parking at Firebird?    I'll aim to be there for 9.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited February 2023
    There's a final song list at the end of this post. I'll print off a few copies to bring with me.

I've put @mrkb down as lead on 'Die Laughing Therapy'

I've put myself down as lead guitar on 'Symphony Of Destruction'

I'm assuming @roberty can do both vocals and guitar on 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love'

I think that just leaves 'Dr Feelgood' and 'Girls Girls Girls' as lacking a guitarist. I might be able to blag my way through those on guitar if someone can do bass, but it will be a bit rough because I haven't worked on the guitar parts.

Remember anyone can play on a song they're not down for, because we can do multiple run throughs.

**Image removed. See more recent post for the latest update of the song list**

It's not a competition.
    There's a final song list at the end of this post. I'll print off a few copies to bring with me.

No - Im singing and rhythm - so Jonathangus can do his proper guitar bits.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:

No - Im singing and rhythm - so Jonathangus can do his proper guitar bits.

Sorry, I misread your earlier post.

Here's a corrected version.  Again, just a reminder that we can flex things on the day, now we've got this to work from.

https://i.imgur.com/N0wsrd3.png

It's not a competition.
    Brocco said:
    Logistics: how is the parking at Firebird?    I'll aim to be there for 9.
    There'll be no one there at 9. Plenty of space. It's in a fenced in industrial area
    I'm assuming @roberty can do both vocals and guitar on 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love'
    100% chance I can attempt it, 80% chance I can pull it off
  • Sorry, tried and failed with last ditch attempt to get my sister to babysit (she's out all day). Hope you all have a great day and get some good footage so I can at least watch after the event!
    Grooving to Acdc

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Solid effort lads. Good to see you all
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sorry, tried and failed with last ditch attempt to get my sister to babysit (she's out all day). Hope you all have a great day and get some good footage so I can at least watch after the event!
    You were missed! Hope to see you next time
    Thanks for a great day guys, look forward to the next one. 

@digitalscream can you unpin this now please. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    How does a September date suit everyone for the next one?
  • mrkb said:
    Thanks for a great day guys, look forward to the next one. 

@digitalscream can you unpin this now please. 
    Done - hope everyone had a great time :)
    <space for hire>