Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 11th February 2023, Firebird Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 11th February 2023, Firebird Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited January 2023
    roberty said:
    @stratman3142 okay so not detuned but played in the same position

Yes. Is that OK for your vocals?

If I'm playing on it and we have to tune down, I'll need to borrow somebody's fixed bridge guitar, because the guitars I'll be bringing have floating whammy bars.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I can probably chug some power chords on Jailbreak.  It's about my level.  

@onlyonebradders are you still OK to do Jailbreak? No problem if not.

@Jonathangus do you want to play Jailbeak on your own or with me? Now I listened to it properly I've realised it's quite straightforward, but I'm happy to bow out.

Btw. @roberty and @Jonathangus, I assume it will be the album version (just over 4minutes) rather than the shorter single version. Also, I'm assuming it will be in F# which is a semitone higher than the original sounds, as they're tuned down a semitone on the original.

If you can handle the lead parts, I should be able to learn the rhythm by then.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited January 2023
    I can probably chug some power chords on Jailbreak.  It's about my level.  

@Jonathangus do you want to play Jailbeak on your own or with me? Now I listened to it properly I've realised it's quite straightforward, but I'm happy to bow out.

Btw. @roberty and @Jonathangus, I assume it will be the album version (just over 4minutes) rather than the shorter single version. Also, I'm assuming it will be in F# which is a semitone higher than the original sounds, as they're tuned down a semitone on the original.

If you can handle the lead parts, I should be able to learn the rhythm by then.

Actually there isn't much lead to speak of. We'll make it a joint effort on that one then.

It's not a competition.
  • @Vibetronic and @roberty can I just double check the key we're going to use for Dr Feelgood and Girls Girls Girls.

They're tuned down to D standard on the original versions.

It's not a competition.
    edited January 2023
    I've done charts for the ones I'm playing on. PM me your email, if anyone wants copies.

Although I've only done bass tab for the Motley Crue songs.

It's not a competition.
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 77
    As @Neilybob will sadly be unable to make it, we need to rethink the song list a bit. There's an updated list at the end of this post.

Get well soon @Neilybob

Die Laughing (Therapy)
    Any takers for bass on this one?

Jailkbreak (Thin Lizzy)
    He was down for 2nd guitar on Jailbreak, which I believe he suggested this as a song. I wonder whether we should drop it, to ease the load on @onlyonebradders and @roberty who are already heavily loaded. Also, it would save me from learing it (which I haven't played before) and possibly free me up to fill some of the other gaps.

Be Yourself (Audio Slave)
    Any takers for lead guitar on this? Could you cover the guitar parts @Brocco as you're already down for 2nd guitar, and it's mainly one guitar on the original as far as I can tell. Or would you prefer to stick to 2nd guitar in a support role, in which case we need someone for the Lead guitar slot

Spread Your Love (BRMC)

Gold On The Ceiling ((The Black Keys)

stepping well outside my comfort zone, but if we can find a suitable drum track, I'll give the lead lines a go on Be Yourself

more generally, perhaps we could use the drum track idea to include a few more (well known) tracks, as we seem to be a bit light on the number of tunes
    edited January 2023
    Brocco said:
    ...stepping well outside my comfort zone, but if we can find a suitable drum track, I'll give the lead lines a go on Be Yourself

I'll put you down for lead on 'Be Yourself' for now then. But let me know how you feel closer to the date. I would have had a go, but have realised that some of the bass parts I've volunteered for are a bit trickier than I first thought, and need more work than anticipated. 

Brocco said:

...more generally, perhaps we could use the drum track idea to include a few more (well known) tracks, as we seem to be a bit light on the number of tunes

Some of the songs in the current list are basically quite simple when stripped down to their bare essentials. If we don't worry too much about the precise details they could be used as a vehicle for jamming with multiple run throughs with different players.

As I said before, I've made charts for the ones I'm playing on, but they might be OTT because I tend to cram in a lot of detail.

I could post 'bare bones' text based chord charts for a few of the simple songs in the list, so we could use those as a basis for jamming and it might save people time in learning stuff.

It's not a competition.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    I'm curious to see what @stratman3142 s chart look like. When i learn new songs I just write down the simple basic chord structure for the whole song, but I hear about how pros use charts but I don't know how to create them.  Could be handy. 
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    If we're still needing bass for spread your love on the ceiling, I can probably manage both. 
  • mart said:
    If we're still needing bass for spread your love on the ceiling, I can probably manage both. 
    That would be excellent. I'll put you down for those.

It's not a competition.
    edited January 2023
    I'm curious to see what @stratman3142 s chart look like. When i learn new songs I just write down the simple basic chord structure for the whole song, but I hear about how pros use charts but I don't know how to create them.  Could be handy. 
    Well I'm certainly not a pro and I wouldn't assume my charts are representative of pro charts.

I did play for a covers band that also did James Bond theme music many years ago and the band leader (who went to The Royal College of Music) provided charts. I used to get charts in Sibelius so I could learn the parts by a combination of ear and looking at the charts, because I can't actually siight read (apart for basic chord charts) so I was just using the charts as a reminder.

He also used to ask me to double check the charts. I often had to tweak the charts and simplify them a bit because some voicings weren't actually practicable on guitar.

These days I use Musescore for general purpose band charts, and Guitar Pro for transcribing solos.

If you PM me your email, I'll send you examples, but don't assume my way is the right way.

edit: sorry I've just realised I've got your email already from the SotM challenges. I'll sort out a couple of examples and email them to you when I get chance.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• Btw. @roberty and @Jonathangus, I assume it will be the album version (just over 4minutes) rather than the shorter single version. Also, I'm assuming it will be in F# which is a semitone higher than the original sounds, as they're tuned down a semitone on the original.

Sorry, just read this properly.  Been looking at this version, but in standard tuning rather than down to Eb:

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• onlyonebraddersonlyonebradders Frets: 19
    edited January 2023
    I can probably chug some power chords on Jailbreak.  It's about my level.  

Possibly… I can get by at the mo but it’s messy.  I’m practicing whatever is the main version from YouTube. I rip all the videos to MP3 and practice to them. Mainly struggling with the half time bits in Symphony of Destruction at the mo… 
    edited January 2023
    @Jonathangus yes that the version I was listening to.

So on that recording, the first chord sounds like it's an Eb. But they're tuned down a semitone, so they're actually playing it as if it's an E.

I just wanted to confirm that @roberty is OK with it being played without it being tuned down a semitone, so it will effectively sound like it's a tone higher than the original.

If that's too high for the vocals, we can tune down a semitone but it would be good to know in advance. I currently only plan to bring two floating vib. guitars and a bass. If we're tuning down, I'll need to borrow a fixed bridge guitar or bring another (fixed bridge) guitar with me.

It's not a competition.
  • onlyonebradders said:
    ...Possibly… I can get by at the mo but it’s messy.  I’m practicing whatever is the main version from YouTube. I rip all the videos to MP3 and practice to them. Mainly struggling with the half time bits in Symphony of Destruction at the mo… 

You need to recover, so we can drop songs that you're not comfortable with. As long as you're not feeling overloaded, you could propose a list of alternative simple songs that you're comfortable with.

It's not a competition.
  • IIRC, at the first jam we exhausted the list of songs and it turned into an actual jam of the 'what can anyone play?' variety.

@Jonathangus yes that the version I was listening to.

So on that recording, the first chord sounds like it's an Eb. But they're tuned down a semitone, so they're actually playing it as if it's an E.

I just wanted to confirm that @roberty is Ok with it being played without it being tuned down a semitone, so it will effectively sound like it's a semitone higher than the original.

If that's too high for the vocals, we can tune down a semitone but it would be good to know in advance. I currently only plan to bring two floating vib. guitars and a bass. If we're tuning down, I'll need to borrow a fixed bridge guitar or bring another (fixed bridge) guitar with me.

Yes, I'm playing it in standard tuning, so it starts with an E chord, then into the A5 - E5 - F#5 riff.  All of which sound like themselves, if that makes sense.  So we're a semitone higher than the track.

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    Thanks for the charts @stratman3142 they look v professional. Much closer to an actual score then i imagined.  Cheers

• ...If that's too high for the vocals, we can tune down a semitone but it would be good to know in advance. I currently only plan to bring two floating vib. guitars and a bass. If we're tuning down, I'll need to borrow a fixed bridge guitar or bring another (fixed bridge) guitar with me.

Yes, I'm playing it in standard tuning, so it starts with an E chord, then into the A5 - E5 - F#5 riff.  All of which sound like themselves, if that makes sense.  So we're a semitone higher than the track.

I've just checked and I can tune my AZ2204 down a semitone if necessary. It takes quite a few passes because the tension on the whammy springs keeps pulling the other strings up in pitch. But once retuned the guitar remains playable. I was concerned it might fret out, but there doesn't seem to be that much effect on the action.

It's not a competition.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    How are we going to end "On a Plane"? original fades out, is there a live version that has a suitable ending?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Brocco said:
    ...stepping well outside my comfort zone, but if we can find a suitable drum track, I'll give the lead lines a go on Be Yourself

I'll put you down for lead on 'Be Yourself' for now then. But let me know how you feel closer to the date. I would have had a go, but have realised that some of the bass parts I've volunteered for are a bit trickier than I first thought, and need more work than anticipated. 
    Im happy to play Rhythm as well as sing on Be Yourself so can fill in basic chords under Broccos playing.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited February 2023
    Here's an updated song list.

Me and @Jonathangus down as joint guitars on 'Jailbreak'

@mart added on bass for 'Spread Your Love' and 'Gold On The Ceiling'

@Brocco on lead guitar and @mrkb on rhythm guitar for 'Be Yourself'

We still need a bass role for 'Die Laughing'

'Tush' isn't attracting any more interest so perhaps I'll remove it at the next update. 

**Image removed. See more recent post for the latest update of the song list**

It's not a competition.
  • mart said:

Unlikely I'd quite manage the latter at my age :)

It's not a competition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    mart said:
    Unlikely I'd quite manage the latter at my age :)
    https://youtu.be/50kP4S0peAs

• Brocco said:

...more generally, perhaps we could use the drum track idea to include a few more (well known) tracks, as we seem to be a bit light on the number of tunes

Some of the songs in the current list are basically quite simple when stripped down to their bare essentials. If we don't worry too much about the precise details they could be used as a vehicle for jamming with multiple run throughs with different players.

As I said before, I've made charts for the ones I'm playing on, but they might be OTT because I tend to cram in a lot of detail.

I could post 'bare bones' text based chord charts for a few of the simple songs in the list, so we could use those as a basis for jamming and it might save people time in learning stuff.

As I posted earlier, as an example, here's a bare bones (much simplified) description of Gimme Shelter. Is this any use to others? If so, I could do the same for a few others, that could be used as the basis for jamming.

Gimme Shelter (bare bones parts):

There are essentially only two parts, and the bare bones are:

Part 1: 
    | C# / / / | B / / / | A / / / | A / B / |
    (can play sus4 on C# and B chords)

Part 2: 
    | C# / / / |
    (can play finger bounce on 6th, "like Status Quo")
    (can also throw in the occasional sus4 and bluesy stuff)

Here's the structure of the original, but we can look at each other and wing it, knowing there are only two basic parts.

Gimme Shelter (bare bones structure)

Intro (the guitar intro is based around the Part 1 chords)
    Part 1: x 6   

Verse 1
    Part 2: x 8  

Chorus 1
    Part 1: x 2 

Pre-verse (gtr fills)
    Part 2: x 4  

Verse 2

Chorus 2

Pre-verse (harmonica on original version)

Solo over chorus chords
    Part 1: x 3 

Chorus 3 (backing vox sing chorus on original)

Pre-verse (fills)

Verse 3

Chorus End (repeats to end cue, gtr fills towards end)
    Part 1: x N 
    It's not a competition.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 493
    @roberty ;  What are doing regards to payment? Are we just paying the balance on the day?

Brocco said:

As I posted earlier, as an example, here's a bare bones (much simplified) description of Gimme Shelter. Is this any use to others? If so, I could do the same for a few others, that could be used as the basis for jamming.

Gimme Shelter (bare bones parts):

There are essentially only two parts, and the bare bones are:

Part 1: 
    | C# / / / | B / / / | A / / / | A / B / |
    (can play sus4 on C# and B chords)

Part 2: 
    | C# / / / |
    (can play finger bounce on 6th, "like Status Quo")
    (can also throw in the occasional sus4 and bluesy stuff)

Here's the structure of the original, but we can look at each other and wing it, knowing there are only two basic parts.

Gimme Shelter (bare bones structure)

Intro (the guitar intro is based around the Part 1 chords)
    Part 1: x 6   

Verse 1

Chorus 1

Pre-verse (gtr fills)

Verse 2

Chorus 2

Pre-verse (harmonica on original version)

Solo over chorus chords

Chorus 3 (backing vox sing chorus on original)

Pre-verse (fills)

Verse 3

Chorus End (repeats to end cue, gtr fills towards end)
    Part 1: x N 
    on the basis that this has made me listen to the track, I would say it's a useful basis for some loose jamming structure 
    edited January 2023
    Brocco said:

Brocco said:

on the basis that this has made me listen to the track, I would say it's a useful basis for some loose jamming structure 

There are a few others that would fall into this category. The ones that immediately spring to mind are:

Roadhouse Blues
    Let's Dance (except the verse chord voicings are slightly tricky if you're unfamiliar with them)
    Hard To Handle
    Keep Your Hands To Yourself 

It's not a competition.
    mrkb said:
    Brocco said:

Im happy to play Rhythm as well as sing on Be Yourself so can fill in basic chords under Broccos playing.
     :) this is good news! 
  • Guys, I'm really sorry about this. I'm officially out. 

I have to fly to Newcastle on the 11th - I’m really disappointed about this and letting you guys down. I was looking forward to this bash.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Guys, I'm really sorry about this. I'm officially out. 

I have to fly to Newcastle on the 11th - I’m really disappointed about this and letting you guys down. I was looking forward to this bash.

Sorry to hear that. I've removed you from confirmed list on page 1.