Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam 11th February 2023, Firebird Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam 11th February 2023, Firebird Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited February 2023
    * sticks head up above parapet"     -    guys,  going to try and come down and say hello / hang around for a bit if thats OK ? - what time are you kicking off ?  (Im assuming its room 5 or 6 ?) 

Also  @roberty ;;; do you want some £  towards the cost,  I did originally say I was def going to come..............happy to chip in a few sheckles     or bring the biccys  =) 

anything Ive got anybody particularly want me to bring?  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    roberty said:
    @stratman3142 can you send me the spreadsheet? I'm too lazy to filter the usernames manually lol

Hopefully the link below will work for anyone that wants to download the spreadsheet.

https://app.box.com/s/cfk4dbnq0r5ffkcf38p56zwxpac1dklr

Got it, thanks. I filtered it down to these members.

I'll start a group chat in a bit. With 9 people that would be £17.77 each

bobblehat
    Brocco
    Jonathangus
    mart
    mrkb
    onlyonebradders
    roberty
    stratman3142
    Vibetronic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Afternoon All,   Just wanted to check what gear everyone was bringing? 

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Im bringing -

Mic and stand (Dont want to share mics)
    Music stand
    Guitar - PRS Mccarty
    Drum stuff - cymbals, kick pedal, sticks
    Fractal Audio FM9 and FRFR cab
    Cup of coffee.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Is there a similar mixing desk with compression/reverb, etc at Firebird @Roberty
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BroccoBrocco Frets: 77
    I'll be bringing:

Matchless Lightning
    PRS Custom 24
    Pedalboard
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited February 2023
    I'll be bringing:
    Squier VM PJ bass
    Ibanez AZ2204

Helix LT (set up in stompbox mode)

HRD IV

Backup:
    Ibanez AZ2402
    Possibly my PRS S2 to detuned if needed

Roland blues cube artist

Boss CS-3 compressor
    Maxon OD9 (tube screamer)
    Spark Booster

It's not a competition.
  • Fractal AX8, FRFR cab (going to borrow one this time as mine has a dodgy connection), prob my Music Man Majesty and my BC Rich Gunslinger. 

@roberty and @stratman3142  - are you ok doing the two Crue songs in standard? I don't really have a suitable guitar that's set up for drop tuning! 
    Fine by me @Vibetronic ;
    @roberty and @stratman3142  - are you ok doing the two Crue songs in standard? I don't really have a suitable guitar that's set up for drop tuning! 
    It doesn't matter to me because I'll just tune my bass accordingly.

If all else fails, you can borrow my PRS S2. It has 10s on it, and it seems happy tuned down to D without feeling too floppy (as the actress said to the bishop). The whammy is decked when I detune it, so you can only push it down in pitch.

It's not a competition.
    mrkb said:
    Is there a similar mixing desk with compression/reverb, etc at Firebird @Roberty
    Dunno what effects are on the board but there's a PA. They have reverb in the little rooms. I can ask?
  • Vocal mic (again, no sharing).
    Fender JA-90
    Marshall 2204 + cab
    Boss pedalboard
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

edited February 2023
    I'll bring my vocal mic

I will bring a few guitars, mostly so anyone curious can have a go on them

And I'll bring my old Fender combo + some pedals

edit: and my bass guitar, nearly forgot
  • Is a snare provided, @roberty ?

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Is a snare provided, @roberty ?
    They have snares, I can make sure one is available if we need it
  • Sounds like we got everything covered. What time are we kicking off? 
    Which room do we have @roberty? Is it the Engine Room?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Which room do we have @roberty? Is it the Engine Room?
    Yep
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Wow, thats looks awesome !

Professional Rehearsal Space Bristol - The Engine Room (theengineroombristol.co.uk)

Do we get the use of the "green room" (which looks to have sofas)
    The Engine Room schematic
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    Guys can I throw in a few quid to help out as I backed our pretty late ...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    @roberty is the man to talk to - hes sorting payments.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    spark240 said:
    I honestly wouldn't think any less of you if you didn't. But it's very nice of you to offer
  • chaps, I'm really really sorry but I'm going to have to withdraw from this one. Our babysitter arrangements for the weekend have fallen through, and as my wife is out doing her sport stuff on Saturday, I've got to stay at home to do childcare. Less than happy about it - I had this arranged as soon as the date was agreed - but it's really not worth the hassle I'll get if I do go (which I got last time as it was another similar clash...I struggle to get out at weekends!). At least I'll know the songs for next time. I dropped Roberty a line last night to let him know this was on the cards and unfortunately I haven't been able to think of a way around it overnight, and my daughter is a bit too young to bring along yet. Really sorry for the time you've spent learning stuff you probably won't play; and I will of course still chip in towards venue hire, only fair. Was really looking forward to it and I hope you all have an excellent time. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited February 2023
    chaps, I'm really really sorry but I'm going to have to withdraw from this one....

That's a really pity but family have to come first. I was looking forward to being amazed by your playing again.

The songs that are affected are:
    Die Laughing (Therapy)
    Talk Dirty To Me (Poison)
    Dr Feelgood (Motley Crue)
    Girls Girls Girls ((Motley Crue)
    Symphony Of Destruction (Megadeath)
    I Believe In A Thing Called Love (Darkness)

Die Laughing (Therapy)
    @Jonathangus, as you're doing vocals and guitar, do you need another guitar to back you up?
    If so. are there any takers?
    I could do guitar, but then we'll need someone to do bass. I've done a tab for the bass if it helps.

@mrkb, as you're doing vocals and guitar, do you need another guitar to back you up?
    If so, are there any other takers?
    I could do guitar, but then we'll need someone to do bass. I've done a chord chart if it helps. The bass is mainly just pumping on the root notes. 

Any takers for guitar?
    I could do guitar, but then we'll need someone to do bass. I've done a tab for the bass if it helps.

Girls Girls Girls (Motley Crue)
    Any takers for guitar?
    Again. I could do guitar, but then we'll need someone to do bass. I've done a tab for the bass if it helps.

Any takers for guitar?
    Sorry I can't help with this one in the time frame

Any takers for guitar?
    Sorry I can't help with this one in the time frame

If we need to drop some, are there any very simple tunes that the singers know that we can throw in at short notice to jam on?

It's not a competition.
  • chaps, I'm really really sorry but I'm going to have to withdraw from this one....

That's a really pity but family have to come first. I was looking forward to being amazed by your playing again.

The songs that are affected are:
    Die Laughing (Therapy)
    Girls Girls Girls ((Motley Crue)

Oh Jeez, that really is quite a few! There is one other thing I can try - I'll see if my sister can babysit. She's only done it once before when our daughter was a lot younger, but now she's that much bigger it should be easier. I'll ask her this evening when she's back from work. Hadn't occurred to me before and there's no harm in asking!!
    I can play I Believe In a Thing Called Love on guitar

To be honest I haven't learnt the Motley Crue ones (saving vocals till last since that's the easiest)

I can do the rhythm on Symphony of Destruction and I'm confident you can play a face melting solo @stratman3142, there are no key changes in the solo and it's in E
     If we need to drop some, are there any very simple tunes that the singers know that we can throw in at short notice to jam on?

Could be useful to look at the list from last time
    Will be great if you can make it @Vibetronic but obviously no pressure
    edited February 2023
    I can do "Talk Dirty" on my own if needed, but its simple power chords and I can print out a few extra chord charts like one below if anyone fancies joining in. I make these for all the songs Im doing.

Heres the link
    https://1drv.ms/w/s!Ar53XK77YC-p2Hfz2GYPFFWG0MBR?e=GhahtU

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    image.png 51.8K

• Die Laughing (Therapy)
    @Jonathangus, as you're doing vocals and guitar, do you need another guitar to back you up?
    If so. are there any takers?

Will either need someone to add some guitar, or take over the singing.  Playing single chords on the beat is about my limit if I'm trying to sing at the same time.

I'm sure we can collectively come up with some songs on the day, like we did first time round.  Teenage Kicks?  Some other simple AC/DC songs?

Or we can muck about with gear.