Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Football Thread. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4389
    I'm looking forward to tonight's match. I think that looks like a great man u starting XI
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Went to the West Ham game tonight. I feel our conceded goals were soft. Things didn't go our way and we hit the woodwork a few times. Not the result we wanted but if we play as we normally do we can definitely score against them in Germany. COYI!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Went to the West Ham game tonight. I feel our conceded goals were soft. Things didn't go our way and we hit the woodwork a few times. Not the result we wanted but if we play as we normally do we can definitely score against them in Germany. COYI!

Good luck for the 2nd leg - all to play for 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    Bidley said:
    Fulham fan here, worried that we've taken our feet off the gas already. Hope Mitrovic turns up next season, although he seems to get found out in the prem.

Hoping I don't have to look forward to another season of celebrating draws and/or conceding less than 3 goals.
    I think Fulham might be a different proposition next year.   Mitro might need replacing as he doesn’t seem to be able to cut it, in the prem - and it would be great if you could have kept Carvalho for another season, but a couple of decent signings could see you okay. Rather than the dozen really average ones last time (Mawson FFS!  ;) )

Anyway, Putney is always a good away trip with plenty of boozers, so despite the rivalry, I’m glad we’re in the same division again. 
    edited April 2022
    Who do you chaps think will win the title? I'm thinking Liverpool might just pip Citeh. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    Bidley said:
    Fulham fan here, worried that we've taken our feet off the gas already. Hope Mitrovic turns up next season, although he seems to get found out in the prem.

Hoping I don't have to look forward to another season of celebrating draws and/or conceding less than 3 goals.
    Having seen all the top teams now at the Hawthorns, we've often said that pretty much any of the top six would probably be top if they had a Mitrovic - although even he was pretty blunt against us. But watching Bournemouth and Blackburn especially, both were clearly far superior teams to us but neither could have hit the proverbial barn door with a banjo. Had they had a decent striker they would both have demolished us quite easily.

Would you say that was fair? Or at least there would be teams closer to you than they are if they'd had a Mitrovic
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    and 10 mill for Jack Clarke was a good move as well  Tony !
    Well, he looked promising at the time,  Great season for Leeds, and would have slotted nicely into a gap in our line-up.

But he seems to have lost the confidence or something ... not done a lot at Sunderland on loan, so I guess that’s his chance, blown.
    :(

We've bought some duffers that's for sure... Ndombele for starters... 
    Ndom-who?  Nope, not one I remember.  Forgotten all about him.

At least, I’m *trying* to forget all about him.

FS: 1 moody Frenchman.  Can kick a football, but only when he can be bothered.  Anyone wanna swap for a pair of boots (size and condition unimportant),
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Who do you chaps think will win the title? I'm thinking Liverpool might just pip Citeh. 

I obviously hope so, but where do you see City dropping any points? I'm finding it very hard to see that happening with their remaining fixtures. 
    Who do you chaps think will win the title? I'm thinking Liverpool might just pip Citeh. 

I obviously hope so, but where do you see City dropping any points? I'm finding it very hard to see that happening with their remaining fixtures. 
    West Ham on Mark Nobles last home game. :) 
  • Who do you chaps think will win the title? I'm thinking Liverpool might just pip Citeh. 

West Ham on Mark Nobles last home game.  
    That would be sweet. I'd be very happy for him, you, and me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1591
    Slippy g could win the title for Liverpool.... 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

I obviously hope so, but where do you see City dropping any points? 
    Yup - already played Spurs twice this season
    :D
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Watch Sonny's second goal on MOTD tonight, it's a beaut.

And now, it pains me to say it, but Come On You Irons. 
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 860
    Slippy G... That's original and not overused at all 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    indeed.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Yesterday I was at the Charged Up Outdoor event at Farnborough. I was wandering around and on one stand I found a replica of the Premiership trophy. Except it wasn't. It was the real one. The guy asked if I wanted my pic taken next to it. I pointed I out I'm an Everton supporter so I'm not even allowed to look at it.
    How the Heck did we beat Chelsea today when you look at the teams we've lost to this season?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Great 3 points against the jellied eel munchers yesterday. Though I can't believe that 
      a team as piss poor as the Gunners can actually be in fourth place.   :o
    edited May 2022
    Great 3 points against the jellied eel munchers yesterday. Though I can't believe that 
      a team as piss poor as the Gunners can actually be in fourth place.   o
    Can I just say, your away fans were probably the quietest fans I've ever heard. Apart from the odd ARSENAL ARSENAL' they barely made any noise. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2890
    RobDavies said:
    Bidley said:

I think Fulham might be a different proposition next year.   Mitro might need replacing as he doesn’t seem to be able to cut it, in the prem - and it would be great if you could have kept Carvalho for another season, but a couple of decent signings could see you okay. Rather than the dozen really average ones last time (Mawson FFS!  ;) )

Anyway, Putney is always a good away trip with plenty of boozers, so despite the rivalry, I’m glad we’re in the same division again. 

Yeah Mitro will need competition for sure. I think 3 or 4 genuine quality additions and we should be ok (rather than the scattergun approach you mention!)

Carvalho is yet another young player who we get one good season out of before his contract expires (see Dembele, Pat Roberts) or he gets poached (Sess, Smalling). I know that's football, and we've done it ourselves, but it still smarts!

Yes I've always felt Brentford was about as good-natured as a local rivalry can be, it's nice to see them hold their own in the Prem.
    Bidley said:

Having seen all the top teams now at the Hawthorns, we've often said that pretty much any of the top six would probably be top if they had a Mitrovic - although even he was pretty blunt against us. But watching Bournemouth and Blackburn especially, both were clearly far superior teams to us but neither could have hit the proverbial barn door with a banjo. Had they had a decent striker they would both have demolished us quite easily.

Would you say that was fair? Or at least there would be teams closer to you than they are if they'd had a Mitrovic

Well yes, having a forward who can put away 40+ a season is always going to make a massive difference, but I don't think he'd have kept Peterboghorror or Derby up, put it that way :)

But our last season he was in the Championship he was banging them in for fun, and we just managed to squeeze through the playoffs. Players like Harry Wilson have been a revelation too.

So if you're saying Mitrovic has carried us then no, I wouldn't say that was entirely fair.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    No I'm not suggesting he's carried you at all, you've created the opportunities as a team and all the way through the season. But what I mean is, there are other teams who have looked just as good, but didn't have a goalscorer.

It's a poor quality league this year, you went up the same time we did last time I think and that was a much better quality league. Hopefully you've built on it each year and will do better next season - I can't see anybody else going up and doing anything other than Fulham.

I think the best side we've seen at the Hawthorns this season was Preston, bizarrely. But then we probably dragged the better teams down to our shitty level (we certainly did to Bournemouth!)
    It seems mad to me that anyone would suggest that Ronaldo is any kind of problem at Man UTD. He's saved them multiple times and they'd be 10th and out of the group stages of the CL if it wasn't for him. He seems to be the only player who cares. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    No I'm not suggesting he's carried you at all, you've created the opportunities as a team and all the way through the season. But what I mean is, there are other teams who have looked just as good, but didn't have a goalscorer.

It's a poor quality league this year, you went up the same time we did last time I think and that was a much better quality league. Hopefully you've built on it each year and will do better next season - I can't see anybody else going up and doing anything other than Fulham.

I think the best side we've seen at the Hawthorns this season was Preston, bizarrely. But then we probably dragged the better teams down to our shitty level (we certainly did to Bournemouth!)
    I think you're right. I thought Blackburn were good too. The sound of Dike's hammy snapping v Peterborough is still reverberating across the Black Country. This has been the weakest Chumpionship I can remember and we'll be lucky to finish in the top 10 pfft.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    It seems mad to me that anyone would suggest that Ronaldo is any kind of problem at Man UTD. He's saved them multiple times and they'd be 10th and out of the group stages of the CL if it wasn't for him. He seems to be the only player who cares. 
    It's a two sided coin. Yes, he's scored a lot of goals and that is great, but the flip side is that he is ageing, doesn't/can't run as much, isn't always a 'team' player etc. You can't build a team around him at this age, and he can be seen to be stifling planning how you want a team to play. You really want a setup like City/L'pool where they have very cohesive teams. For whatever reason, most of the Man U team have been poor this season. There was no reason to think they would be this bad (second last season) so maybe Ronaldo has unbalanced things?

I don't know to be honest, but the guy has had a stellar career. I don't blame him if he buggers off for Champions league football elsewhere. 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Yayyyyyy!!! Go Luton!

Fulham 7 - Luton 0

slinks home with tail between legs ......
  • Weaver85Weaver85 Frets: 63
    edited May 2022
    Great 3 points against the jellied eel munchers yesterday. Though I can't believe that 
      a team as piss poor as the Gunners can actually be in fourth place.   o
    You're Rod Liddle and I claim my five pounds 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    axisus said:
    It's a two sided coin. Yes, he's scored a lot of goals and that is great, but the flip side is that he is ageing, doesn't/can't run as much, isn't always a 'team' player etc. You can't build a team around him at this age, and he can be seen to be stifling planning how you want a team to play. You really want a setup like City/L'pool where they have very cohesive teams. For whatever reason, most of the Man U team have been poor this season. There was no reason to think they would be this bad (second last season) so maybe Ronaldo has unbalanced things?

Exactly.  I heard this being debated on the radio the other week.  Pundit no.1 was arguing that Ronaldo has scored a significant percentage of Man U's goals this season, so without him they wouldn't have won the games they did win, therefore he's their most valuable player.  Pundit no.2 didn't make his case very well, but I think his argument was that if they hadn't had to accommodate Ronaldo, more goals might have come from other players and maybe they'd have functioned as more of a team.  So contradictory as it seems, perhaps he has held them back.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2339
    edited May 2022
    Philly_Q said:
    axisus said:

Exactly.  I heard this being debated on the radio the other week.  Pundit no.1 was arguing that Ronaldo has scored a significant percentage of Man U's goals this season, so without him they wouldn't have won the games they did win, therefore he's their most valuable player.  Pundit no.2 didn't make his case very well, but I think his argument was that if they hadn't had to accommodate Ronaldo, more goals might have come from other players and maybe they'd have functioned as more of a team.  So contradictory as it seems, perhaps he has held them back.
    I doubt it myself. He's been their star player this season. A star player with multi million pound signings around him who don't want to play and he's also their oldest player. I'd be embarrassed if I was a Man U fan. The reason he is their star player is that he is a born winner, whatever team he has played for he has proved this. Who else in that team is the same?

They've been dogshit for years, relatively speaking. There is something seriously wrong with the whole club setup. The best manager they had since Ferguson was Mourinho and they sacked him. 

On the upside, as a Palace fan, I love watching them disintegrate while Liverpool and Man C play football at a level that Man U are unlikely to achieve. It's delicious.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    @Springywheel , are you a liverpool fan ?  Honest question and I’m not trying to provoke but as a Palace fan , I chortle when I hear the slippy g stuff . He’s one of the greatest midfielders of my lifetime and liverpool are incredible at the moment so I would have thought throw away stuff like that would just bounce off .

The only player we’ve ever had close to Gerard was Wrighty and he buggered off to Arsenal for his best years.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2339
    @Springywheel , are you a liverpool fan ?  Honest question and I’m not trying to provoke but as a Palace fan , I chortle when I hear the slippy g stuff . He’s one of the greatest midfielders of my lifetime and liverpool are incredible at the moment so I would have thought throw away stuff like that would just bounce off .

The only player we’ve ever had close to Gerard was Wrighty and he buggered off to Arsenal for his best years.
    'Shaun Derry, Derry
    He's better than Stevie G,
    More faithful than John Terry, 
    Shaun Derry, Derry'.