Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What films have you watched recently? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    The Adjustment Bureau.

Somebody in Hollywood has the idea that anything ever written by Philip K Dick can be made into a movie. The evidence here would suggest otherwise, although wether the appalling smushiness was part of what he originally wrote I don't know.

I guess the nice thing to say is that it is classic Hollywood - not a word or a scene ( a few bare shoulders aside) that couldn't have made it to the silver screen in the 50's.
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    equalsql;53666" said:
    "Wristcutters. A love story". Nuts but good fun. Tom Waits, that kid from Almost Famous and a eastern European guy with a bad moustache who drives a car with a black-hole under the passenger seat...and they're  all dead. What's not to like. 
    Excellent film that. Quite odd, but good.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Think someone on here said, when it 1st came out, not as good as the series. Think I'd agree with that, it was very well done, but it never managed to capture the greyness of 70's Britain, which the series did so well. As the whole sub text was that dreariness and greyness (the whole faded nation not willing to give up it's place in the world despite being a boring little place) it was a bit of a glaring omission.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Having not watched the series, in general I liked Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, but thought it suffered from being paced a bit badly.  There was a big build up to the mystery, but then the conclusion seemed to be delivered in a very short sequence leaving a slight 'well is that it?' feeling. 

I also thought (having not known the story) that the editing and direction did everything to strongly incriminate each other character except Colin Firth's, so much so that he actually stuck out as the most obvious suspect because he was clearly meant to be the one you least suspect.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Prometheus

I'd put it off because I'd heard a lot of bad things about it, but tbh I really enjoyed it. I suspect a lot of criticism was a reaction to the uber-hype that foreshadowed it? In any case I'd give it a solid 7/10.
    All practice and no theory
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325

I also thought (having not known the story) that the editing and direction did everything to strongly incriminate each other character except Colin Firth's, so much so that he actually stuck out as the most obvious suspect because he was clearly meant to be the one you least suspect.

NO SPOILERS, GODAMMIT!!!
    randomhandclaps;56571" said:
    Having not watched the series, in general I liked Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, but thought it suffered from being paced a bit badly.  There was a big build up to the mystery, but then the conclusion seemed to be delivered in a very short sequence leaving a slight 'well is that it?' feeling.  I also thought (having not known the story) that the editing and direction did everything to strongly incriminate each other character except Colin Firth's, so much so that he actually stuck out as the most obvious suspect because he was clearly meant to be the one you least suspect.
    the book does that as well. Enormously long, complicated mystery and the conclusion is a bit ' oh, is that it?' However, it is all that detail and hand wringing in book and film that's more important. I enjoyed the film a lot more the second time I saw it when I could forget about the plot.
  • ddlooping said:

I also thought (having not known the story) that the editing and direction did everything to strongly incriminate each other character except Colin Firth's, so much so that he actually stuck out as the most obvious suspect because he was clearly meant to be the one you least suspect.

NO SPOILERS, GODAMMIT!!!
    Don't worry, I didn't mention with character Colin Firth is! ;)
  • Argo, wasn't expecting much but ended up really enjoying it
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    ddlooping said:

NO SPOILERS, GODAMMIT!!!
    Don't worry, I didn't mention with character Colin Firth is! ;)

Tell me what movies you'll be watching soon and I won't tell you their endings via PM. ;)
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Finally got round to watching Seven Psychopaths - very funny in places, but not as wonderful as it perhaps likes to think, but Sam Rockwell and Christopher Walken were as enjoyable to watch as always.
    Finally got 'round to it myself; I enjoyed it a lot, very 'In Bruge' but I guess what do you expect - and Tom Waits, dammit!  :)
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 673
    Cloud Atlas. Been looking forward to watching this for ages and wasn't dissapointed, properly epic I can see me watching it again soon. I'd really like to see a whole movie set in neo-Seoul.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    Breakfast Club. Still a stone cold classic. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    S.W.A.T.

Dire.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8201
    The Internship. I liked it.

The Way Way Back, a bit heavy handed with its message, but pretty enjoyable.
    My V key is broken
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426

I also thought (having not known the story) that the editing and direction did everything to strongly incriminate each other character except Colin Firth's, so much so that he actually stuck out as the most obvious suspect because he was clearly meant to be the one you least suspect.

Exactly. I knew it was going to be him from about halfway through.

I watched most of Gregory's Girl tonight (will catch up on the rest later) - beautifully-made, gentle fun. And amazingly, nowhere near as dated as I expected. Either that or I'm *really* old and 1980 just doesn't seem that long ago... :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2013
    ICBM said:

I watched most of Gregory's Girl tonight (will catch up on the rest later) - beautifully-made, gentle fun. And amazingly, nowhere near as dated as I expected. Either that or I'm *really* old and 1980 just doesn't seem that long ago... :)
    I love Gregory's Girl.  I remember watching it in the 90s and thinking it had aged, now I watch it and don't think it has as it is just a classic.  A truly great British film.
    Lemony Snicket's Unfortunate Series of Events.

I put it on for the kids, and I ended up really enjoying it. Jim Carrey was excellent as Count Olaf.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited October 2013
    Magic Boys  

advice  DONT WATCH

(see my thread- Its official)

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.

I put it on for the kids, and I ended up really enjoying it. Jim Carrey was excellent as Count Olaf.
    Pity there were no sequels. Have you/your kids read the books? My youngest has often been a poorly motivated reader but he enjoyed those and my eldest loved them. I read the first one with them and I love its quirkiness and the images it creates. 
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "Smiley" - shit

"Spiders" - pretty shit

"Carrie" - (1976 version) - never seen it before, it was great. I have little hope for the remake however.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • I got Spiders 2 some time ago for £1, and I think I  was ripped off.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Pity there were no sequels. Have you/your kids read the books? My youngest has often been a poorly motivated reader but he enjoyed those and my eldest loved them. I read the first one with them and I love its quirkiness and the images it creates. 

No - but I might get one now.

The kids are currently devouring David Walliams' books. I've read 2 of them, "Mr Stink" and "Gangster Granny" and I thought they were excellent. Walliams really seems to have understood the appeal of Roald Dahl without ripping him off.
    I got the bluray of The Addams Family. After not being available for so long I wondered if I would still love it.

I did.

Raul Julia was amazing. Perfect performance.
    fretmeister;62887" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

fretmeister said:

No - but I might get one now.
    Been a few years since I read them or seen the film ( my kids are teenagers now) but IIRC the film is a composite of the first three books. I think there are 13 in the series.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    EricTheWeary said: The Adjustment Bureau.
    As usual for a PKD adaptation, they makers missed the point. I'd recommend the source material, "The Adjustment Team" which is freely available on the web owing to an error with filing the US copyright.

Talking dogs. Should have been in the film.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    World War Z. What a festering sack of bollocks.
  • Fancying something with an old-fashioned British feel to it I whacked Reach For The Sky into the DVD player recently. Jolly decent film, old boy.

Although it did leave me wondering about which episodes in Douglas Bader's life had been "transposed" or otherwise edited for "artistic reasons". Maybe I should read the book to find out
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    Just saw 'Captain Phillips' at my local cinema the other night - SUPERB!! One of the most gripping films I've seen. Rumour has it that 'Gravity' is even better.

Also, taped Memento off Film4 a few weeks ago - just watched it - Very good except for the fact that the last few minutes didn't record!!! 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • HAL9000 said:
    Also, taped Memento off Film4 a few weeks ago - just watched it - Very good except for the fact that the last few minutes didn't record!!! 
    Basically he discovers it was all a dream and he's still an actor trapped in Neighbours.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter