Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What films have you watched recently? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8201
    Iron Man 3, I thought it was tops.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    holnrew said:
    Iron Man 3, I thought it was tops.
    You know it's a true story, right? ;) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Chocolate

Quite an odd, verging on distressing,movie at the start but becomes more about the martial arts fight sequences.One for anyone who likes a film with people with learning disabilities karate chopping ladyboy gangsters. The end credits are interesting - out takes of people getting hurt!

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited October 2013
    Pacific Rim

I'm halfway through watching this right now and as far as I can tell it's basically Power Rangers with bigger budget and worse acting. I don't know if it was the lenses or film quality or just the CGI/green screen lighting match done badly but it looked more like a TV show than a movie. 

I get that it's basically just an excuse for giant robot to fight on screen but it's really total rubbish. How were so many geek blogs creaming themselves over this earlier in the year?!

Also, I have no idea why everyone thinks Idris Elba is so good. Between this and Prometheus I seriously don't get it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Yes, "Pacific Rim" was shite.

We watched "The Iceman" yesterday - very good indeed :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Also, I have no idea why everyone thinks Idris Elba is so good. Between this and Prometheus I seriously don't get it.
    I liked him in Luther.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

I liked him in Luther.
    I haven't seen Luther!

• Also, I have no idea why everyone thinks Idris Elba is so good. Between this and Prometheus I seriously don't get it.
    I liked him in Luther.
    I haven't seen Luther!
    Then you're missing out. I advise starting from series 1 though if you're going to watch it.

I liked him in Luther.
    I haven't seen Luther!
    There you go then! By the third series it was getting a bit silly but if you can find the first series well worth a look at least.
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

He was pretty good in The Wire. And Thor. In fact I thought he was good in Pacific Rim as well.

Yup - I'm defo pro-Elba.

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Pacific Rim was a lot of fun. :P
    ddlooping said:
    I'm now 20 mins from teh end. It's shiiiiiiiiite :D
  • Idris Elba is really good on the story time on CBeebies too.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    ddlooping said:
    Finished now. SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITE!!!!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Go watch Luther.

Not just fir his performance, but also for Alice.

Yum.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 9764
    Fretmeister,you are a wise man.Have a wisdom.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    Fretmeister,you are a wise man.Have a wisdom.
    I said Luther first! Where's my wisdom!?! young people today, mumble, mumble...
    ~X(
    ddlooping said:
    Finished now. SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITE!!!!
    On a big screen, with the sound quite loud and the analytical part of my brain switched off I found it fun. :)
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 9764
    OK EricTheWeary I'll give you a wisdom too,I'm feeling generousThe wisdom for Fretmeister though was for the Alice reference.She's hot in a phsyco hose beast kinda way.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    breakstuff;53494" said:
    OK EricTheWeary I'll give you a wisdom too,I'm feeling generousThe wisdom for Fretmeister though was for the Alice reference.She's hot in a phsyco hose beast kinda way.
    O:-)
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2939
    Go watch Luther.

Yum.

I thought I was weird for liking Alice...

Pacific Rim was capable of being brilliant - but the script was so absurd so often that it could never have been more than really stupid... ooh, lets pick up a boat to use as a sword (a Very long, thin ship) then a few scenes later let's activate the built in super sharp mega sword.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    The Graduate. One of my all time faves.
    I play at my dining room table.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    "Wristcutters. A love story". Nuts but good fun. Tom Waits, that kid from Almost Famous and a eastern European guy with a bad moustache who drives a car with a black-hole under the passenger seat...and they're  all dead. What's not to like. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Go watch Luther.

Yum.

Yeah Alice great in theory, but I bet you wouldn't be able to get to sleep after.
    Go watch Luther.

Yum.

Yeah Alice great in theory, but I bet you wouldn't be able to get to sleep after.
    I could... I'd help her hide bodies - she's sexy fun.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited October 2013
    Myranda said:
    Go watch Luther.

Yum.

I could... I'd help her hide bodies - she's sexy fun.
    Historically though she has killed everyone she's slept with and a hell of a lot she has only spoken too - Good luck.
    She didn't kill loofa so as long as I intrigue her I'll be fine - and I'm tough, there could be sexy wrestlings
    White House Down - another 2 hours of mindless popcorn fun. :)
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 2983
    Silver Linings Playbook.

I was expecting the worst.    But actually, this was really good.  My missus made me watch it, honestly.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    Go watch Luther.

Yum.

Wisdom. Alice was incredibly hot, maybe it was that fact that she was a dangerous, devious, bitch. And Idris Elba was brilliant.