Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What films have you watched recently? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• westwest Frets: 974
    Reasonably *
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Gosling is quite wooden. 

Still Gosling > R.Reynolds.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

For me the film was killed stone dead at that point.  I hadn't expected to like it but gave it a go because of the director.  As you say, that about-change in plot direction was really clunky, and who the hell thought it was a good idea to cast John Legend as... himself?  He's as wooden as wood can be.
    You mean almost as wooden as Gosling?

I haven't seen it, and probably won't. He nearly killed Blade Runner 2049 stone dead, and he's pretty poor in Barbie too.
    He was playing a robot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    Free State of Jones

What a cracker

9/10
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    JezWynd said:

He was playing a robot.
    Replicant, not robot - although I take your point that he was supposed to be artificial. He was still less lifelike than Ana de Armas playing a hologram though…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:

He was playing a robot.
    Replicant, not robot - although I take your point that he was supposed to be artificial. He was still less lifelike than Ana de Armas playing a hologram though…
    I really disliked Bladerunner 2049 when I saw it at cinema but subsequently have watched 4 or 5 times on Blu-ray and I now love the film. It’s a very relaxing watch, in large part due to his performance.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Offset said:
    Shrews said:
    Lifeforce (Prime)

Nude spacegirl (Mathilda May) causes carnage in London when she turns out to be a space vampire.

Loved this film back in the day, it's utterly bonkers. Beware : that's not intentional. It starts off like Alien, turns into Species, evolves into Dracula Dead and Loving It and ends like 28 Weeks Later.

It really needed Christopher Lee and the Twins of Evil to get the maximum effect and probably would've benefitted from being a musical number with Tim Curry in suspenders and Meatloaf on a motorbike.

Nevertheless, if you get to watch one film over the Halloween period make sure it's this one.

10/10
    Ha!  I loved this back in the day too.  I really don't know how Frank Finlay, Colin Firth or Patrick Stewart found themselves in it but they did add a bit of gravitas to a film which is, as you say, utterly bonkers.

I feel inspired to watch it again :-)
    I just watched it. I’d heard of it but somehow never seen it. Utterly bonkers indeed and I’ve never seen quite so much overacting, especially from Patrick Stewart. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    boogieman said:
    Offset said:
    Shrews said:
    Lifeforce (Prime)

Nude spacegirl (Mathilda May) causes carnage in London when she turns out to be a space vampire.

Loved this film back in the day, it's utterly bonkers. Beware : that's not intentional. It starts off like Alien, turns into Species, evolves into Dracula Dead and Loving It and ends like 28 Weeks Later.

It really needed Christopher Lee and the Twins of Evil to get the maximum effect and probably would've benefitted from being a musical number with Tim Curry in suspenders and Meatloaf on a motorbike.

Nevertheless, if you get to watch one film over the Halloween period make sure it's this one.

10/10
    Ha!  I loved this back in the day too.  I really don't know how Frank Finlay, Colin Firth or Patrick Stewart found themselves in it but they did add a bit of gravitas to a film which is, as you say, utterly bonkers.

I feel inspired to watch it again :-)
    I just watched it. I’d heard of it but somehow never seen it. Utterly bonkers indeed and I’ve never seen quite so much overacting, especially from Patrick Stewart. 
    I re-watched it.  They don't get much more mad.  Love it.

9/10.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    edited September 2023
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

For me the film was killed stone dead at that point.  I hadn't expected to like it but gave it a go because of the director.  As you say, that about-change in plot direction was really clunky, and who the hell thought it was a good idea to cast John Legend as... himself?  He's as wooden as wood can be.
    You mean almost as wooden as Gosling?

I haven't seen it, and probably won't. He nearly killed Blade Runner 2049 stone dead, and he's pretty poor in Barbie too.
    Cmon!! Perfect actor to play a replicant.

Edit: someone beat me to it.
  • Fantastic Mr fox (rewatched, saw it upon release way back when)

Wow, this is much funnier and quirkier than I remember. Lovely characters and observations about human nature too.

My 1 of 3 favourite Wes Anderson movies alongside Moonrise Kingdom & Rushmore.

9/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    71.   Netflix

A young soldier gets separated from his unit in Belfast during The Troubles

Proper hold your breath tense at times

7/10
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Reptile (2023) on Netflix.

Really enjoyed it, had a strong noir vibes.
    Del Toro was fantastic, as usual. It was nice to see Alicia Silverstone after what felt like decades.
    Plot twist wasn't very surprising but nevertheless, strong 7/10
    Cocaine Bear (2023), Prime.

Coke-filled bag chucked out of plane by drug smuggler.  Bag found by large black bear, who ingests said toot and goes on a hugely enjoyable killing spree.  That, my friends, is all you really need to know - aside from the fact that the late, great Ray Liotta makes his final appearance here and to whom the film is dedicated.

Great fun, very amusing in places, very gory and altogether thoroughly entertaining.

8.5/10
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    You may like Winnie the Poo- Blood and Honey.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    The Wonderful World of Henry Sugar (Netflix) - it's a Wes Anderson short (about 45mins) based on a Roald Dahl story. And it's ... odd. It's the usual WA visual style that's so lovely to watch, colour perfect, minimal contrast and no shadows. But there is no actual acting - despite the starry cast. It's all a series of monologues delivered direct to camera. And I don't think the story is strong enough. 6/10
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    goldtop said:
    The Wonderful World of Henry Sugar (Netflix) - it's a Wes Anderson short (about 45mins) based on a Roald Dahl story. And it's ... odd. It's the usual WA visual style that's so lovely to watch, colour perfect, minimal contrast and no shadows. But there is no actual acting - despite the starry cast. It's all a series of monologues delivered direct to camera. And I don't think the story is strong enough. 6/10
    I saw there are several of these Roald Dahl shorts now on Netflix, some less than 20 minutes long.  They look interesting.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    edited October 2023

Gambit (2012)

Prime. 

Silly art fraud frolic with a huge stellar mostly British cast.

A financially embarrassed expert art curator (Colin Firth) works for a horrid billionaire (Alan Rickman) and decides to seek revenge on him by conning him into buying a fake Monet, but his carefully worked ridiculous plan requires the help of an eccentric and unpredictable Texas rodeo queen (Cameron Diaz). 

It's silly. So, relax, with some wine, popcorn and enjoy the excellent cast having some fun. Firth's comedy timing is top notch and Alan Rickman is such a sad loss, the guy was pure gold. Unfortunately, Mr Rickman gets more naked than Ms Diaz.

6/10
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    edited October 2023

Heart of Stone (2023)

movie Netflix

Double agent embedded in MI6 races to stop a hacker from stealing its most valuable and dangerous weapon.  We like spy stuff and the leads are nice looking but we only watched just over 10 minutes or so - absolutely shit. Probably meant for 12 year olds with zero intelligence.

2/10

• I loved the Anderson Dahl films - all of them were stories that couldn't really be done as normal movies (I think Poison was a Hitchcock Presents and a Tale of the Unexpected, but was basically three chaps in a room and not as interesting as it was here), and the Enhanced Jackanory style really suited them. 

Poison was interesting in that it wasn't referring to the snake (that would be venom, not poison), but Harry's racism that lay just below the surface. I think the ending was slightly different in the original story, but that was still the point, and interestingly not what we'd associate with Dahl. 

I think if the viewer is prepared to just go with them as they are, as something a bit different, they certainly won't be bored. 

And what was in the hay rick...?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Nowhere (Netflix)

For reasons too complicated (and slightly spoilerific) to explain, a pregnant woman finds herself trapped, alone, in a leaky shipping container floating far out at sea.  Is there any chance of rescue before she runs out of food or the container sinks?

I quite like these high-concept movies with a very small cast in some kind of peril - think Buried, Frozen (no not that one), Crawl, Fall, The Dive - but this one feels like it's really struggling to maintain interest for the better part of two hours.  It could've easily been 20 or 30 minutes shorter.  It's alright.  There's a cute baby, and a CGI whale.  But I can't honestly recommend it.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    edited October 2023
    Retirement Plan.
    Good, not too OTT Nic Cage film. I enjoyed it but it is totally lacking in surprises.

"In The Retirement Plan, when Ashley (Ashley Greene) and her young daughter Sarah (Thalia Campbell) get caught up in a criminal enterprise that puts their lives at risk, she turns to the only person who can help - her estranged father Matt (Nicolas Cage),currently living the life of a retired beach bum in the Cayman Islands. Their reunion is fleeting as they are soon tracked down on the island by crime boss Donnie (Jackie Earle Haley) and his lieutenant Bobo (Ron Perlman). As Ashley, Sarah and Matt become entangled in an increasingly dangerous web, Ashley quickly learns her father had a secret past that she knew nothing about and that there is more to her father than meets the eye."

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    I loved the Anderson Dahl films - all of them were stories that couldn't really be done as normal movies (I think Poison was a Hitchcock Presents and a Tale of the Unexpected, but was basically three chaps in a room and not as interesting as it was here), and the Enhanced Jackanory style really suited them. 

Poison was interesting in that it wasn't referring to the snake (that would be venom, not poison), but Harry's racism that lay just below the surface. I think the ending was slightly different in the original story, but that was still the point, and interestingly not what we'd associate with Dahl. 

I think if the viewer is prepared to just go with them as they are, as something a bit different, they certainly won't be bored. 

And what was in the hay rick...?
    I'll give the other 3 a go. Ms GT has decided not to bother with them (and she also loves WA).

(The bit that really bugs me is the replacement of acting with deadpan 4th-wall-breaking constant narration, which demands full attention and that means that I don't have time to enjoy the sets and cinematography.)
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    edited October 2023
    Shrews said:
    Lair Of The White Worm (Prime)

Hugh Grant in a pre 4 Weddings horror film. He plays Hugh Grant in the start of his Hugh Grant career alongside Amanda Donohue who plays a very memorable part and is genuinely scary as a very seductive, white-worm-worshipping-wicca-woman.

Surreal and cultish, but definitely memorable. Just don't go around her gaff for a bath. Although, coming to think of it, what a way to go!

8/10
    I was a teenager when I saw that film. Still remember the scene you mention! I wasn't aware that Hugh Grant was in it. :D 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    The Tape  2021 Prime

A simple but charming low budget tale of a Cornish girl who admits to being the worst house cleaner in Cornwall.
    However when tasked with looking after a house for the summer she finds an old four track tape recorder and decides to try and record some songs on it. Folk singer Martha Tilston plays Tally, the optimistic and free spirited house keeper. She is a wonderful singer whose style reminds me of a young Kate Bush. 
    A dreamy, hypnotic little film that will definitely lift your spirits.. oh and Cornwall is beautiful.
    The ending is a touch overdone, but otherwise a very satisfying watch.

7.5/10
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 163
    This site is very cool. Just type in a film you like and it comes up with a map of similar films. You can then click on one of those films to create a new map. Great idea!

https://www.movie-map.com/
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Pjon said:
    Shrews said:

Hugh Grant in a pre 4 Weddings horror film. He plays Hugh Grant in the start of his Hugh Grant career alongside Amanda Donohue who plays a very memorable part and is genuinely scary as a very seductive, white-worm-worshipping-wicca-woman.

Surreal and cultish, but definitely memorable. Just don't go around her gaff for a bath. Although, coming to think of it, what a way to go!

8/10
    I was a teenager when I saw that film. Still remember the scene you mention! I wasn't aware that Hugh Grant was in it. :D 
    Me either, although strangely I do remember Amanda Donohue. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    boogieman said:
    Pjon said:
    Shrews said:

8/10
    Me either, although strangely I do remember Amanda Donohue. 
    Ms Donohoe still looks pretty good.  She went out with Stuart Goddard (aka Adam Ant) back in the day, and I remember being unbelievably jealous. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    Watched Reptile on Netflix last night.  Really enjoyed it, some great acting, really well paced whodunnit 

8/10
  • Watched 65 at the weekend. Adam Driver plays a space courier transporting people between colony planets to pay for the healthcare of his sick daughter. Unsurprisingly, the 'one last job' goes badly wrong and he finds himself trapped on Mesozioc Earth with the only other survivor - a young girl played by Ariana Greenblatt. The pair of hem have to fend off a succession of smart dinosaur predators to reach the only surviving escape pod. Just to put the tin lid on it, it turns out that the asteroid belt that caused their crash is about to inflict the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event on Earth, and end the dinosaurs.

It wasn't as bad as some reviewers would have you believe, but it's a very thin plot backed up with some ropey CGI and only saved by decent turns from the lead pair. Conspiracy theorists are probably out looking for the remains of the ship wherever in Oregon it's been fossilised.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    mgaw said:
    Watched Reptile on Netflix last night.  Really enjoyed it, some great acting, really well paced whodunnit 

8/10

Was one of the first horror movies i saw and went to theatre with a girl........you can imagine my horror at the jump scare when i must have cleared half a dozen seats. My date was impressed.....if we are not talking about a remake you will know the scene of which I speak
    tae be or not tae be