Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What films have you watched recently? - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1896
    axisus said:
    I found The Whale on Amazon Prime today. What a superb film. Brendan Fraser is fantastic in this and has rightly been recognised as so (best actor Oscar). I found it very emotional, had a real lump in my throat at times. It's not a film for everyone, it is based on a play so it has a certain narrow scope, basically the whole thing is set in a couple of rooms of his house, and it is totally dialogue/character driven.

Hat's off also to Sadie Sink (Max from Stranger things) who I would say is shaping up to be an excellent actress. Well, to be honest she's there already ...

For me 9/10
    I watched this a few weeks ago. I nearly gave up after 10mins as I thought it was going to be formulaic misery tourism. I glad I stuck it out as the film developed into something very different to what I was expecting. There are some very powerful extended scenes which give the film an almost theatre like quality. I'd agree with 9/10, excellent film. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Offset said:
    Lansky (2021) Netflix

Harney Keitel stars as Meyer Lansky, the notorious mob boss and head of a huge gambling empire.  Now retired and in his old age, Lansky hires a formerly successful but now-struggling writer to document his remarkable life.  Meanwhile however, said writer has been forced to work for the FBI who want one last shot at getting their hands on Lansky's ill-gotten gains.

This is a tour-de-force performance from Keitel.  Although the elderly Lansky appears charming and is obviously extremely astute, Keitel manages to imbue a totally ruthless core into his character.  It really is a great piece of acting as he also manages to make the aging mobster likeable.  The flashbacks to his early life and subsequent career show him for what he really was however - a man driven by money and power who would do whatever it took to achieve both.

I was rooted to this film from start to finish.  It is not without its' faults - some of the flashback sequences feel a little flimsy and rushed, and Bugsy Siegel's character is pure cliche.  However Keitel's mesmeric performance makes up for these shortcomings and I found the whole thing thoroughly enjoyable.

Keitel - 10/10
    Overall - 8/10
    I'm intrigued. 

Have you seen Boardwalk Empire? It's tv series produced by HBO. 
    It's probably up there with Sopranos and The Wire for me. 
    Lansky, Al, Luciano, Genovese family... all present ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    Offset said:
    Lansky (2021) Netflix

Harney Keitel stars as Meyer Lansky, the notorious mob boss and head of a huge gambling empire.  Now retired and in his old age, Lansky hires a formerly successful but now-struggling writer to document his remarkable life.  Meanwhile however, said writer has been forced to work for the FBI who want one last shot at getting their hands on Lansky's ill-gotten gains.

This is a tour-de-force performance from Keitel.  Although the elderly Lansky appears charming and is obviously extremely astute, Keitel manages to imbue a totally ruthless core into his character.  It really is a great piece of acting as he also manages to make the aging mobster likeable.  The flashbacks to his early life and subsequent career show him for what he really was however - a man driven by money and power who would do whatever it took to achieve both.

I was rooted to this film from start to finish.  It is not without its' faults - some of the flashback sequences feel a little flimsy and rushed, and Bugsy Siegel's character is pure cliche.  However Keitel's mesmeric performance makes up for these shortcomings and I found the whole thing thoroughly enjoyable.

Keitel - 10/10
    Overall - 8/10
    I'm intrigued. 

Another vote for Broadwalk Empire. Top stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    ^ Bone for tuna.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    rze99 said:
    Offset said:
    Lansky (2021) Netflix

Keitel - 10/10
    Overall - 8/10
    I'm intrigued. 

Thanks @BigBearKris and @rze99 - I'll definitely check that out.
  • Similarly ... big thanks for tip off. Anything that can match The Wire is a must watch ... it's my new frontrunner :+1: 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    edited September 2023
    The Talking Pictures channel shows lots of old horror movies but also throws up the odd vaguely remembered film from my youth. I can remember going to see Confessions of a Driving Instructor at the cinema when I was a testosterone-laden spotty teenager. So I recorded it for a laugh, and to see if it really was as naughty and hysterically funny as my teenaged self thought. Unsurprisingly, I suppose, it turns out to be a complete pile of shite, it’s one saving grace being the lovely Liz Fraser parading about in her undies. Don’t bother otherwise. 2/10. (Zero for the film, 2 for the pneumatic Ms Fraser.) 
  • boogieman said:
    The Talking Pictures channel shows lots of old horror movies but also throws up the odd vaguely remembered film from my youth. I can remember going to see Confessions of a Driving Instructor at the cinema when I was a testosterone-laden spotty teenager. So I recorded it for a laugh, and to see if it really was as naughty and hysterically funny as my teenaged self thought. Unsurprisingly, I suppose, it turns out to be a complete pile of shite, it’s one saving grace being the lovely Liz Fraser parading about in her undies. Don’t bother otherwise. 2/10. (Zero for the film, 2 for the pneumatic Ms Fraser.) 
    I saw Robin Askwith in a theatre production once, possibly the worst thing I’ve ever seen on stage. However, I saw him interviewed not that long ago where he was funny and he has popped up on a few TV shows, his career having a bit of a late renaissance. I think the Confessions series were a double edged sword for him, giving him fame but completely typecasting him. He can play on that ironically now; comedy being tragedy plus time. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    edited September 2023
    boogieman said:
    Yes, they've been showing the Confessions films and the Adventures films. They are truly awful. I like the nostalgia of them though, the decor and furnishings of the homes, the cars and the lack of traffic, local shops etc.

The nudity is usually a young woman, typically full frontal and never heard of a Ladyshave (to be fair, I don't think they'd been invented back then) and Robin Asquith's ass bobbing up and down, usually sped up to get the clip over with as soon as possible.

Yes. Lis Fraser! 

On the subject of Talking Pictures they had a film on recently that I'd never heard of and it was about Punk and New Wave. It was made around that time, not years later and Bob Geldof featured a lot being interviewed. It wasn't great but I was surprised that I'd never seen it before, not even on YouTube. 

Can't remember its name!

** Edit: Just found it. It was called British Rock (1980) Director: Wolfgang Büld. It was on Friday at 1.40am 

• Flight 

Film 4 

It’s a film about addiction more than it is about flying a plane but there is a chunk of that if that’s your interest. Some comment on IMDB about the nude scene which Film 4 seem to have removed for this showing. 
    Has that thing of being a film about which I had almost no knowledge and little expectation so just watched it. And got quite engrossed in it. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Seraphim Falls 

Watched this last night for the first time in many years. Always liked the intensity and brutality of it ... I like Westerns that have an edge.

Apparently, both Neeson and Brosnan are both fans of Westerns and loved making this movie. I think the locations and scenery are stunning ... the whole tone of the movie feels authentic and credible and the tension never backs off.

Yes, it's probably a bit slow (some may say tedious) in places but I think that's part of it's power ... if you like a soundtrack of pop-guns and ricochets then this isn't for you but if you like Unforgiven or High Plains Drifter or Pale Rider then you'll probably get on with this.

A solid 8/10 IMHO
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    Haych said:
    I’ve been away so have seen quite a few recently. 

Bohemian Rhapsody

Mixed feelings about this one. I’m not a Queen/Mercury aficionado but felt like it skimmed the surface of both stories and I didn’t like Remi Malek’s portrayal of Freddie - he still seemed to be doing his Bond villain character to me. Where did they get the Brian May clone though!! 6/10

Bohemian Rhapsody was filmed a few years before No Time To Die, wasn't it? I saw them in the order they were released and don't remember thinking that Freddie was behaving like a Bond villain.... :D 
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    rze99 said:
    Offset said:
    Lansky (2021) Netflix

Keitel - 10/10
    Overall - 8/10
    I'm intrigued. 

And another +1, it was excellent, if not the fastest paced series. There were some epic episodes.

I was talking about it last week with one of my younger colleagues (he's 22, I think). He was re-watching it, having loved it the first time. I told him that Robert De Niro makes an uncredited appearance in American Hustle, playing one of Lansky's henchmen. American Hustle was set in the 70s or 80s, so what I thought of as ancient history - Al Capone, bootlegging, etc - actually overlapped with my lifetime. My colleague just pointed out that's because I'm old! :D 
  • axisus said:
    Brio said:
    Stratavarious said:
    Yep. Some memorable scenes for a kid. Up there with First Men In The Moon.

Just rewatched that. Realised I much preferred The Mouse on the Moon. So I'll watch that next...
    Where did you see it? I’ve been dying to watch again for decades!
    I’ve not watched anything since Xmas new year  but. I’d love to see this again . I didn’t realise it was so new I’d always thought it was a 50s or earlier film 
    boogieman said:
    I saw Robin Askwith in a theatre production once, possibly the worst thing I’ve ever seen on stage. However, I saw him interviewed not that long ago where he was funny and he has popped up on a few TV shows, his career having a bit of a late renaissance. I think the Confessions series were a double edged sword for him, giving him fame but completely typecasting him. He can play on that ironically now; comedy being tragedy plus time. 
    I saw him in a pantomime at Wimbledon Theatre in the late 80s ( it was a works Xmas do, gawd knows who thought a pantomime was a good idea). It was very corny as you can imagine but RA was probably the best thing in it, although that’s probably not saying much. I have no idea how or why I remember this but it was the first time I’d heard the “how do you turn a duck into a soul singer?” joke. 
  • Barbie

Enjoyed it, not much more to say.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • A Royal Night Out..

I don’t know if I’m more embarrassed to say I clicked on it rather than the fact I actually watched it to the end once I did!   

It’s a variation on the Audrey Hepburn Roman Holiday theme of an incognito princess out on the town with princesses  Elizabeth & Margaret escaping the palace to join in the London VE Day celebrations.  The Princess Liz character worked well but the Margaret character was a poor fit.

Could be nice if you have some tween girls in the house…  might be vomit inducing otherwise.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Shrews said:
    Blue is the Warmest Colour

Ooh, err, Mrs.

Don't watch it with your kids or your parents, and be aware your wife might give you a slap and call you a pervert.

A sexually curious student girl finds that missing something with a girl she meets in a club.

Plenty of sex and nudity on show. In fact I can't think of another mainstream movie that is so sexually graphic. Not sure it needed that much either. That said, the two leads were excellent and the story seemed realistic and well told.

For films with graphic sex scenes this didn't leave the same impression as say Betty Blue where the scenes were (for me) necessary to show her character and the people she had in her life. This film just seemed to overdo it and actually took away from what was essentially a love and breakup story.

This film could have been made as a 15, even a PG, perhaps concentrating more on the emotions of the leads and actually become a film of beauty. But sadly, for the story, I think it will just be know more the sex scenes.

7/10 (with a blush, from a bloke who sat through Emanuelle, Debbie Does Dallas and Deep Throat without batting an eyelid).

What platform did you watch it on?

Asking for a mate.

my mate said thanks for telling him about it 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Watched a couple of old horror films on Talking Pictures last night. 

Dr Phibes Rises Again. Surreal, cheesy, poorly acted, terrible special fx, basically rubbish. Loved it. Vincent Price saves it of course. 

The Food of the Gods. Giant animals*  develop in a small rural community through eating some weird fungusy stuff that flows like a spring. Then start attacking and killing people!!! Bloody awful, I turned it off after 30 minutes.  

* obvious missed opportunity for “big cock” joke when one of the lead characters inadvertently walks into a barn full of giant chickens. Actually the giant chicken attack might be the only reason for watching it, but only because it’s so inadvertently funny. It’s so obviously a fake plastic chicken head and it’s really awfully done. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Last Of The Mohicans (the 1992 Daniel Day-Lewis one)

Still looks great, still sounds great, still a great story. A solid 9/10.

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    Finding Your Feet (Film 4)

Not a typical film I'd choose to watch being in the mould of Marigold Hotel, Quartet etc but it was actually quite good. Imelda Staunton was excellent and Celia Imrie always reliable. I don't particularly like Timothy Spall as an actor but he was decent in this and seemed to have lost a lot of weight (good for him).

Older woman finds out her hubby is playing away and decides to leave. She meets up with another chap and they begin a friendship but then he tells her he is still married although his wife has advanced alzheimers. It doesn't sound a barrel of fun admittedly but it was entertaining enough to keep me watching without overdoing the inevitable sentimental stuff.

One of the better films of that ilk IMO. 7/10
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    3:10 to Yuma 2007
    True Grit 2010.
    Both remakes and both better than the originals. 8/10 for Yuma and 9?10 for True Grit.
    I'm watching Hang Em High and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly tonight if sleep proves difficult..
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    "I’ve not watched anything since Xmas new year  but. I’d love to see this again . I didn’t realise it was so new I’d always thought it was a 50s or earlier film"

It was earlier, 1964. There was a made for TV remake in 2010. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    The Ballad Of Tam Lin

(Sometimes otherwise known as The Devil's Widow.)

1970 "folk horror" with Ava Gardner, Ian McShane, Stephanie Beacham, Joanna Lumley in a cameo, and a couple of others you might recognise, based on the old Scottish folk tale of the same name (also done by Fairport Convention). Directed by Roddy McDowall - best known as an actor for Planet Of The Apes. What made it look interesting to me was that the outside locations are near where I live, in particular Traquair House near Peebles which I'm very familiar with from many arts events and summer festivals I've been to over the last twenty years or more. Given the cast list I thought it might be an overlooked minor gem.

Hmmmmmm.... to say it's 'of it's time" is perhaps the kindest thing I can think of. The only real horror is the acting! Poor script, clichéd characters, unconvincing interior sets, clumsy direction, and not scary. Ava Gardner was clearly having a laugh. (I hope :).) McShane, Beacham and Lumley are more wooden than a milking stool. McDowall wisely returned to in front of the camera after this, never to direct a film again.

I can only say don't bother unless you have a curiosity as to what Traquair - or McShane, Beacham and Lumley perhaps - looked like in 1969.

3/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    Broken Embraces. I thought that Pain & Glory was Almodovar's crowning achievement but Broken Embraces might beat it for depth, wisdom and superlative film making. The story is convoluted and moves back and forth in time but is never less than completely captivating. Penelope Cruz is wonderful (as always in Almodovar's movies) and the entire cast are pitch perfect throughout. I'm gushing, but really, it's a film that entirely merits it. 10/10.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:
    The Ballad Of Tam Lin

(Sometimes otherwise known as The Devil's Widow.)

1970 "folk horror" with Ava Gardner, Ian McShane, Stephanie Beacham, Joanna Lumley in a cameo, and a couple of others you might recognise, based on the old Scottish folk tale of the same name (also done by Fairport Convention). Directed by Roddy McDowall - best known as an actor for Planet Of The Apes. What made it look interesting to me was that the outside locations are near where I live, in particular Traquair House near Peebles which I'm very familiar with from many arts events and summer festivals I've been to over the last twenty years or more. Given the cast list I thought it might be an overlooked minor gem.

Hmmmmmm.... to say it's 'of it's time" is perhaps the kindest thing I can think of. The only real horror is the acting! Poor script, clichéd characters, unconvincing interior sets, clumsy direction, and not scary. Ava Gardner was clearly having a laugh. (I hope :).) McShane, Beacham and Lumley are more wooden than a milking stool. McDowall wisely returned to in front of the camera after this, never to direct a film again.

I can only say don't bother unless you have a curiosity as to what Traquair - or McShane, Beacham and Lumley perhaps - looked like in 1969.

3/10
    It still sounds vaguely tempting… where’s it showing? 
  • edited September 2023
    The Nun 2.

Pretty good carry over from the first movie, though it perhaps outstays its welcome by 20 mins or so.

All the way through the film I was trying to remember what movie it was referencing throughout, turns out it was The Nun (1) I was getting my Conjurings and Nuns mixed up as they are part of the same "universe". 6/10 Perfectly acceptable spooky jumpy movie
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Dead poets society - first time since 17. 10/10. 
    Watched because my nephew is off to uni and thinking of a present to give him before he goes and this raised up the rankings quickly.

A great watch for dads in similar situations.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • BtrcuBtrcu Frets: 96
    Offset said:
    munckee said:
    @Offset missus munckee loves nothing more than movies with brutal gangland violence, the nastier the better.  So I mentioned I’d heard good things about Bull - it was a hit she loved it. 

The budget and timescale put many Hollywood films to shame. Great acting and interesting story, good pace throughout. 

I second your 8/10. 
    I'm reliably informed that Kill List (also starring Neil Maskell) is even better and in a similar vein to Bull.  On my list.
    Kill List is very good film, but not a particularly nice one. I enjoyed it though.

Calibre - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6218358/ is a little similar, in general atmosphere and Wasteland - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1981140/?ref_=nm_flmg_c_22_act is also worth a watch (Neil Maskell is in this as well, although in a smaller role).

• Went to see Past Lives.

It's so beautifully written and acted. Not one wasted scene, glance or piece of dialogue.