Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Western Jam, Saturday 2nd October, 2021 -- Factory Studios, Bristol - Events Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Western Jam, Saturday 2nd October, 2021 -- Factory Studios, Bristol

What's Hot

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    edited September 2021

Is anybody bringing anything with P90s?

Yes.  (LP Special, with Wolfetone Mean & Meaner.)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Brocco said:
    … the roles previously taken by Vibetronic … any takers?
    Can't help you there, sorry. 

Some of the songs scheduled to be performed by Vibetronic, I have never heard. Those of them that I have heard at some point in the past, I do not know how to play.

bobblehat said:
    Do we know who's bringing what and is everyone happy to share?
    Promotional videos for That's Entertainment and Just What I Needed show RIC and 'Ray, respectively. So, I shall probably bring a Warwick or a Fender Jazz out of devilment.

Is anything on the set list fretless?

Guitar-wise, something random. (Probably something that I hope to sell! :yum: )

I could bring my new special if I manage to put it back together before the weekend. Still undecided about swapping the pickups over

Got this reverend with a faux 90 in the bridge, sounds somewhere between a Tele bridge and a P90 to me. Could bring it along if anyone is interested in it. I'm a bit clumsy on Fender size necks 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited September 2021
    roberty said: 
    I could bring my new special if I manage to put it back together before the weekend. Still undecided about swapping the pickups over
    Don't sweat it. If I'm that concerned about having P90s, I shall have to bring something of my own. 
    Be seeing you.
  • Brocco said:
    mart said:
    I was planning to bring a bass head, but I'd be happy to bring along a cab for it too.
    Thanks. Seems like we have the gear angle well and truly covered. Let's not forget that we need to try and fill the roles that Vibetronic was down for  
    a few thoughts based on the running order that @mart put together (which you can find at the top of page 20), motivated by doing all we can to retain the setlist as it is:

• Priority tracks seem to be Under The Bridge, Johnny B. Goode and Is She Really Going Out With Him on which only Vibetronic is down to play guitar
    • Easy fixes may be available on Keep Your Hands To Yourself (@bobblehat is down for vox and has mentioned that he likes to play guitar on the tracks he sings) and Cold Hard Bitch which @nickos236 and @stratman3142 know as they are down to provide vox and bass respectively
    • That leaves us with needing to fill lead guitar duties for You Give Love and You Really Got Me 
    Please do step forward with specific offers, and don't worry about putting yourself forward for lots of roles, as these things usually find their own balance in the end 

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited September 2021
    @Brocco I think @spark240 is down for rhythm guitar on one run through of 'Is She Really Going Out With Him'. So I think guitar is covered on that one.

I could do lead on You Give Love and You Really Got Me but it might be better to give someone else a go,  as I'm already down for lead on a couple already.
    It's not a competition.
  • @stratman3142 thank you, I missed that there were two run-throughs of !
  • ... Is She Really that is
  • Just to throw the elephant into the room, how many people attending are close to Bristol and how many have fuel to travel?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2021
    Just to throw the elephant into the room, how many people attending are close to Bristol and how many have fuel to travel?
    About 90 miles for me from Exmouth but I've got a full tank.
    It's not a competition.
  • Just to throw the elephant into the room, how many people attending are close to Bristol and how many have fuel to travel?
    no issue for me as I'm only about 33 miles away
  • About 3/4 full.  Enough to get to Bristol and back.

Also, just to squeeze in a second elephant - the dreaded C-word.  I'm assuming we're all double-jabbed, doing regular LFTs, etc.?   What's the latest policy from Factory on all this?  Particularly thinking of vocalists sharing the mic. 

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

edited September 2021
    @Jonathangus  ;;yes (for me)

And what about the dreaded P word. What's the parking like?

It's not a competition.
  • @Jonathangus  ;; yes

And what about the dreaded P word. What's the parking like?

not too bad actually - small industrial estate with not much activity last time we were there (also a Saturday)
    edited September 2021
    I can play guitar on You Really Got Me. Not anything like @Vibetronic though, I'm still reeling from that years later. Could quite happily drop Johnny B Goode
    107 miles. Filled up late yesterday evening with enough filthy Diesel to drive up and back twice.
    Be seeing you.
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    edited September 2021
    Based on what people have offered to cover, the setlist is now looking like:
    ORDERSONGVOCALSDRUMSBASS LEADRHYTHM 1RHYTHM 2
    1Rocksbobblehatonlyonebraddersmartbobblehatspark240bobblehat
    2Hard To Handlenicos236onlyonebraddersmartstratman3142spark240
    3Under The BridgeJonathangusonlyonebraddersroberty???
    4You Give Love A Badnicos236onlyonebraddersmartstratman3142spark240
    5Lil' DevilbobblehatonlyonebraddersmartJonathangusBroccobobblehat
    6Richard IIInicos236onlyonebraddersstratman3142Jonathangusroberty
    7Keep Your Hands To Yourselfbobblehatonlyonebraddersmartstratman3142bobblehat
    8Is She Really Going Out With Himnicos236onlyonebraddersmartn/aspark240
    9You Really Got Merobertyonlyonebraddersspark240robertyBrocco
    10That's Entertainmentnicos236n/aFunkfingersn/amart
    11Hard To HandlebobblehatonlyonebraddersmartJonathangusBroccobobblehat
    12Just What I Needednicos236onlyonebraddersFunkfingersspark240Brocco
    13Rocksnicos236onlyonebraddersmartbobblehatspark240
    14Lil' Devilbobblehatonlyonebraddersstratman3142Jonathangusbobblehat
    15You Give Love A Badnicos236onlyonebraddersmartrobertyBrocco
    16Richard IIIrobertyonlyonebraddersstratman3142Jonathangusroberty
    17Cold Hard Bitchnicos236onlyonebraddersstratman3142???Brocco

I've dropped JbG and the 2nd Is She Really, so that just leaves gaps on Under the Bitch and Cold Hard Bridge.

@stratman3142 this also leaves you playing 4 songs in a row at the end - are you ok with that, or do you want us to try and swap things round to avoid that?
    I could do You Give Love a Bad Name too. I am not down for much. Anyone up for guitar on Under the Bridge? I got the bass line ready. It's very pretty
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    roberty said:
    I could do You Give Love a Bad Name too. I am not down for much. Anyone up for guitar on Under the Bridge? I got the bass line ready. It's very pretty
    Ok, I've put you down for guitar on the 2nd run of You Give Love, which gives @stratman3142 a break. 
    I had a quick look at Under, but I don't think I can nail that in the time available. 
  • thought re Under The Bridge - @Jonathangus is down for vox but may also know the guitar part? Perhaps a switch to guitar if we could find someone else to sing the track (assuming Jonathan is not wedded to the vocal part)?
  • regarding Cold Hard Bitch, @stratman3142 knows the second guitar part but is currently down to play bass. We could similarly solve this one by Stratman moving to guitar (assuming he is happy to do so) if we can find a volunteer to play bass?
    edited September 2021
    roberty said:

I think I could get through Under The Bridge if you really want to do it, but it might have to be my interpretation and perhaps a bit strummy compared to John Frusciante. I'll give it a go, provided I can have a veto on any recording if it doesn't go well

It's not a competition.
    @stratman3142 nice one

I feel like there would be better participation in the two that I am down to sing and play if someone else would like to do the singing or playing. These are you really got me and Richard iii at the moment. I'd like to give Richard iii a belt down the mic
  • roberty said:
    @stratman3142 nice one

You haven't heard me play Under The Bridge yet :)

Still I'm too old to care and I don't mind a laugh at my expense.

It's not a competition.
  • roberty said:

I think I could get through Under The Bridge if you really want to do it, but it might have to be my interpretation and perhaps a bit strummy compared to John Frusciante. I'll give it a go, provided I can have a veto on any recording if it doesn't go well

Nothing wrong with strummy.  Strummy good.

• roberty said:

I feel like there would be better participation in the two that I am down to sing and play if someone else would like to do the singing or playing. These are you really got me and Richard iii at the moment. I'd like to give Richard iii a belt down the mic
    I'm definitely up for guitar on You Really Got Me, especially if we do it a bit Van Halen. That's more in my comfort zone.

It's not a competition.
    @stratman3142 sounds good :)
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    Sorry guys im usually on top of this but circumstances means time is not on my side , me and Nickos will def be there and jamming along ;-)...Im bringing couple of guitars' Kemper and DX12 and the TE Bass combo ok? 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    edited September 2021
    roberty said:

I'm definitely up for guitar on You Really Got Me, especially if we do it a bit Van Halen. That's more in my comfort zone.

I've just noticed @Brocco is down for rhythm guitar on You Really Got Me, so does that mean you wouldn't need to sing and play lead guitar at the same time? If so, I can stay out of that one.

Also, as far as I can tell, there's really only one guitar on Richard III and @Jonathangus is already down for lead, so does that mean you're covered for that one as well.

It's not a competition.
  • Also, as far as I can tell, there's really only one guitar on Richard III and @Jonathangus is already down for lead, so does that mean you're covered for that one as well.

Ah, but who's going to do the Theremin solo?   :)

This discussion has been closed.