Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The TV Thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The TV Thread

What's Hot
1303132333436»

Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    edited September 2023
    Just started watching the new series of Top Boy. 

As others have said, it's a top notch gangster drama.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    edited September 2023
    Series 2 of Wheel of Time has started on Prime. We’re three episodes in and for me it’s much better than the first series. The pacing has improved, the CGI is less noticeable and obviously the characters are well bedded in now. I’m still not convinced that Rosamund Pike was a great choice as a lead character as she’s very wooden, her expression barely ever changes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    boogieman said:
    Series 2 of Wheel of Time has started on Prime. We’re three episodes in and for me it’s much better than the first series. The pacing has improved, the CGI is less noticeable and obviously the characters are well bedded in now. I’m still not convinced that Rosamund Pike was a great choice as a lead character as she’s very wooden, her expression barely ever changes. 
    That’s fairly positive. I’ve been debating whether i could either be bothered to watch series 2 as s1 was not great. 
    Finished Top Boy.

Excellent! 

• Kilgore said:
    Finished Top Boy.

Excellent! 

This is great to hear - I'm looking forward to watching last season.
  • The Woman in the Wall 

BBC/iPlayer

Fairly slow. Quite grim. But clever and some great performances. 
    Seems to have had some bad reviews in Ireland for making drama out of a national tragedy but great reviews in the UK where we seem to be less concerned! 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    * Yep, Our Maud has been quite gripped by it - most miffed that she had to wait for episodes instead of being able to binge it.

Just binged The Long Shadow.

Drama about the Yorkshire Ripper murders.

It doesn't focus on Sutcliffe at all. It's more about the shambolic police investigation. The unfounded assumptions and bad management from senior officers that led to the investigation going down a succession of blind allys and missed opportunities to catch him earlier.

The victim blaming attitudes of the time that considered the girls to be 'just' prostitutes and the reluctance to take seriously those who survived the attacks.

It  holds a mirror up to contemporary  police behaviour and failings, violence against women etc, etc.

The above makes it sound a bit dry, but it was cracking drama at the same time with a cast including Toby Jones and David Morrissey.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Just finished watching series 2 of Wheel of Time. Thought it was very good, certainly head and shoulders above series 1, looking forward to the next one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Bargain on Amazon prime.
    Being compared favourably to Squid game, though I'm not convinced.
    Can't say much about it without giving the plot away.
    Episode 1 opens with young woman in school uniform negotiating price for selling her virginity. 8/10
    Episodes 2-6, 5/10
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Up to date with Only Murders. Gone from silly to very silly but it has a helluva cast list. 

Started on Mr Mercedes on Star. Jeepers it’s grim at times but also quite gripping. Brendan Gleeson doing a fine job as Detective Hodges. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Is anyone watching "Gen V".  Its a The Boys - spin-off.  Same gory, dark humour, set in a university for young and aspiring superheros.   Up to episode 3 and looking good so far.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited October 2023
    Is anyone watching "Gen V".  Its a The Boys - spin-off.  Same gory, dark humour, set in a university for young and aspiring superheros.   Up to episode 3 and looking good so far.
    Not started yet, but I intend to!

Edit:  Four episodes in.  At the start I was thinking hmmm, new characters, I may not like them... but it's fantastic.