Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The TV Thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1625
    Slow Horses, Apple TV. Based on the excellent Slough House books. I'm on the second season and it's been great with an excellent cast.
    It basically revolves around MI5 agents who have been put on the scrapheap for various cockups or misdemeanours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 855
     ennspek said:
    Slow Horses, Apple TV. Based on the excellent Slough House books. I'm on the second season and it's been great with an excellent cast.
    It basically revolves around MI5 agents who have been put on the scrapheap for various cockups or misdemeanours.
    It stretches credulity a tad but it's it's really entertaining and Gary Oldman is fabulous.

Now watching Liaison also on Apple TV. Another thriller series with MI5 involvement and the French equivalent of. 
    The first episode was okay but I need to watch more before giving it a thumbs up or down. I like Vincent Cassel though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 931
    Just binged ‘Chewing Gum’  
    absolutely bonkers, the lead actress, who I think wrote it is brilliantly bonkers too
    great fun
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Rewatching The Sopranos. Just cos. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    I lieu of doing anything useful I have been watching a lot of telly. Entire series of Unforgotten (it’s okay) and two series of Back to Life (BBC but currently on Netflix). Back to Life was really interesting, bit of a different comedy-drama thing. Some flaws but 25 minute episodes. 
    I meant to add - Back to Life is set in Hythe in Kent. I don’t think I’ve ever been to Hythe but the programme features local landmarks so if anyone is from there it would be must see TV! 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    I lieu of doing anything useful I have been watching a lot of telly. Entire series of Unforgotten (it’s okay) and two series of Back to Life (BBC but currently on Netflix). Back to Life was really interesting, bit of a different comedy-drama thing. Some flaws but 25 minute episodes. 
    I thought Unforgotten was great. I'm saving the new one to binge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ennspek said:
    For obvious reasons it has changed a bit in the new series, I’m a bit undecided. Although I did watch the entire series over three nights so it clearly wasn’t too bad! 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    edited March 2023
    Be warned. A new series called Night Court is airing in the States.
    Starring Melissa Rauch from Big Bang Theory it is terrible. Slow, weak and 'gentle' comedy with feeble characters you are left stunned by its insipidness. She made a fortune from BBT, why did she feel the need to do this?
    It's on a par with the remake of Open All Hours or final series Last of the Summer Wine.
    Brio said:
    Be warned. A new series called Night Court is airing in the States.
    Starring Melissa Rauch from Big Bang Theory it is terrible. Slow, weak and 'gentle' comedy with feeble characters you are left stunned by its insipidness. She made a fortune from BBT, why did she feel the need to do this?
    It's on a par with the remake of Open All Hours or final series Last of the Summer Wine.
    Does she do the Bernadette voice or use her normal voice? 

edited March 2023
    Normalish. You can still hear Bernie.
    edited March 2023
    Try Ep1

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    Edge of Darkness the 80s version. BBC IPlayer. Still brilliant despite the age. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    ennspek said:
    Missed this before. I've just finished series 3, really enjoying it.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    On Amazon Prime - Goliath starring Billy Bob Thornton. Really liking it, and Billy, who plays an alcoholic, washed-up lawyer, is cooler than a fridge.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    On Amazon Prime - Goliath starring Billy Bob Thornton. Really liking it, and Billy, who plays an alcoholic, washed-up lawyer, is cooler than a fridge.
    Binged that a while back, and really enjoyed it!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Buggrit! We don't have an actual tellybox, so we haven't been watching Endeavour. No idea if it's any good or not, but that little nod to John Thaw I saw in this tweeted clip is wonderful.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    @Offset ;

I can see that final episode of 1923 has been released so I may binge it now. Did you stick with it? Worth it?
    Yes - really liked it.
    Ted Lasso. Apple I think. Sport coaching hijinks. Alternately funny, moving, sad and saccharine. Overall it's good fun and very well cast.
    We Need To Talk About Cosby.

Four part series on BBC. 

Certainly not comfortable watching at times but extremely well made. Covered a lot of ground I didn’t know about the Bill Cosby story and lots of food for thought. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I'm watching Outlast on Netflix.  It's a reality show (broad term, that) about a group of people trying to survive up to 45 days in the Alaskan wilderness.  Something like Bear Grylls' The Island, I guess, but with a Lord of the Flies element... it's good.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    goldtop said:
    Buggrit! We don't have an actual tellybox, so we haven't been watching Endeavour. No idea if it's any good or not, but that little nod to John Thaw I saw in this tweeted clip is wonderful.

We watched the final series last week. Funny to think it’s finished. Brilliant show!
    I thought Roger Allam, and Anton Lesser were fantastic, and Roger Allam had some great lines..
    Anton Lesser totally F’d me up when his characters wife was killed, and he went to pieces..
    Shaun Evans, of course, was excellent as the younger Morse.. just such a great show, all round..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Just whipped through series 5 of Unforgotten - my fave detective drama. As always, it is one story told over six 1hr episodes.

I have to admit I found it hard work for the first half. One of the lead characters has been replaced and I just wasn't liking the new person at all. As always though it was a great story, weaving together a bunch of seemingly unassociated characters. I have to admit that the end made me feel rather sad. I can't say why without spoiling things but you will know why if you see it. 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4537
    Better on BBC Iplayer 

only watched it because part of it ( the car being stopped ) was filmed on the bypass less than a mile from my house. 

It was actually decent watch. 
    Just started the latest season of Seal Team. Early doors but it still seems to be veering down the soap opera route....
  • axisus said:
    Just whipped through series 5 of Unforgotten - my fave detective drama. As always, it is one story told over six 1hr episodes.

I have to admit I found it hard work for the first half. One of the lead characters has been replaced and I just wasn't liking the new person at all. As always though it was a great story, weaving together a bunch of seemingly unassociated characters. I have to admit that the end made me feel rather sad. I can't say why without spoiling things but you will know why if you see it. 
    I think they were quite clever: they knew that whoever came after Nicola wotsit would be disliked by a majority of the audience. So they ran with that, and made the new person unlikeable, and disliked by the other detectives. But of course they built in a reason for that, and hoped that in the end, sympathy would win out. Personally, I think they succeeded.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    axisus said:

I think they were quite clever: they knew that whoever came after Nicola wotsit would be disliked by a majority of the audience. So they ran with that, and made the new person unlikeable, and disliked by the other detectives. But of course they built in a reason for that, and hoped that in the end, sympathy would win out. Personally, I think they succeeded.
    Yeah, they did. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited March 2023
    Great Expectations

I'm a Dickens fan so it was inevitable that I'd start watching the latest BBC adaptation - by the writer of Peaky Blinders, apparently, although I've never really watched PB so I don't know if this is in his style.  

The opening scene suggests they've taken at least some major liberties with the plot, but then it goes back in time and this first episode is, in fact, pretty faithful to the book.  Looking good so far...
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1684
    Just finished S1&2 of "Mayor of Kingstown" which I think was recommended here. 
    We've enjoyed it. I like Jeremy Renner and he was pretty good in it. 
    Not very believable though, bit "preachy" and full of unfinished plots. Still - quite entertaining 20 episodes. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    goldtop said:
    We just watched Gervais' After Life. It's terrible, and I don't really know why Ms GT chose it, as she normally hates him.

It was billed as a dark comedy, but it's just not funny. The writing was all over the place, so many dead ends (sic) and extended nothing-burgers. I did like Gervais in The Office and Extras, but this was both dull and annoying. He cannot act emotionally - his character's grief never felt authentic. The only good thing about his character was that he (as a writer) surrounded himself with worse characters.

I even started disliking the dog when it staged the 'intervention'.

Bah! 1/10
    It got a lot of love on here but I think I managed two episodes before giving up. 

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who thought Afterlife was shite

Ricky Gervais was born to be David Brent but everything else he's done has been pretty dire. 

He's maybe not been too bad in some of the movies he's been in. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    goldtop said:
    We just watched Gervais' After Life. It's terrible, and I don't really know why Ms GT chose it, as she normally hates him.

It was billed as a dark comedy, but it's just not funny. The writing was all over the place, so many dead ends (sic) and extended nothing-burgers. I did like Gervais in The Office and Extras, but this was both dull and annoying. He cannot act emotionally - his character's grief never felt authentic. The only good thing about his character was that he (as a writer) surrounded himself with worse characters.

I even started disliking the dog when it staged the 'intervention'.

Bah! 1/10
    It got a lot of love on here but I think I managed two episodes before giving up. 

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who thought Afterlife was shite

Ricky Gervais was born to be David Brent but everything else he's done has been pretty dire. 

He's maybe not been too bad in some of the movies he's been in. 
    I enjoyed After Life. Brian Gittins is the star - absolutely hilarious. Check out the outtakes on YouTube, which never fail to make me chuckle.