Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The TV Thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    1883 on Paramount +

Haven't watched Yellowstone yet (it's next for a binge, I think) - this is a pre-prequel. I watched it as was told no spoiler for the main series and that's true. It's one of the best Westerns I've seen - if you love a slow burn, realistic Western, you'll love this. If you like fast-paced action stuff, you won't

Basically following a pioneer wagon train out of Texas towards Oregon. Beautiful scenery, well acted, some brutal realistic scenes and the always superb Sam Elliot with another great moustache. 

9.5/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Chuffola said:
    1883 on Paramount +

Haven't watched Yellowstone yet (it's next for a binge, I think) - this is a pre-prequel. I watched it as was told no spoiler for the main series and that's true. It's one of the best Westerns I've seen - if you love a slow burn, realistic Western, you'll love this. If you like fast-paced action stuff, you won't

Basically following a pioneer wagon train out of Texas towards Oregon. Beautiful scenery, well acted, some brutal realistic scenes and the always superb Sam Elliot with another great moustache. 

9.5/10
    What, you mean he has different moustaches for different films, rather than use his own one? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Chuffola said:
    1883 on Paramount +

9.5/10
    It’s the best of the three series for me. Yellowstone is totally watchable but it’s basically Dallas with tits and killing.  

1923 is good but not as good as 1883
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1896
    Watched the second series of The Bear on Disney Plus. Set in a Chicago restaurant it has excellent acting, storyline and soundtrack.   
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Lodious said:
    Watched the second series of The Bear on Disney Plus. Set in a Chicago restaurant it has excellent acting, storyline and soundtrack.   
    My son is working his way through this so I keep watching bits and getting caught up. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Nitefly said:
    JEM said:
    goldtop said:
    We've run out of TV series to watch on Netflix, so we've started on the Spanish "Money Heist".

Two episodes in - does it get better?

No, it just gets more and more ridiculous.
    I loved the original series. Second one not so much, Korean remake was just odd (and even more ridiculous, you might not have thought it was possible but it was). 
    It is fairly low budget, fairly silly, eye popping product placement, quite sexy, possibly homophobic (the second series seems to over compensate for this and also has a shed load of violence but by then they were making it for the American market). Enjoy it as Spanish quirkiness. My son’s boss is Spanish and lives in Spain (works entirely remotely) and apparently it was a national obsession. 
    @goldtop - what @EricTheWeary says is all true; I'd add that I was very curious as to how they would do it, so I watched all of series 1 and stayed interested.  This is unusual for me as I normally have the attention span of a tadpole.

Series 2, however... suffice to say, I lost interest, but Our Maud ploughed on to the bitter end!   ;)

I should have listened to you guys. It's like a badly written soap opera, goes on and on with the same themes done and then undone. And super stupid 'relationships'. The number of times they pull guns on each other - ooh some drama - but you know they're going to put them away. 

Ms GT is ploughing on with them, I got as far as the 1st episode of the second part and that's enough for me.

Next! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2023
    Joe Pickett on Paramount +, first series was entertaining with some really nice scenery, second series is great from start to finish, watched it in a few days.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I watched a couple of episodes of Celebs Go Dating this week.  Dear god....
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Just started Around the World in 80 Days. The David Tennant one. 2 episodes in and liking it.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Philly_Q said:
    I watched a couple of episodes of Celebs Go Dating this week.  Dear god....
    That's a couple more than I would have done under any circumstances.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Philly_Q said:
    Haych said:
    We have started watching Only Murders in the Building and are now close to the end of season one.

I really like it.  It's well made, light hearted and has enough intrigue to make you want more.  The characters are well written and with Steve Martin and Martin Short in the leads, plus Selena Gomez, it's well acted and feels like quality stuff.

It also has the element of trying to guess who dun it.  It's on Disney + if anyone wishes to give it a try.
    Yeah, I'll probably be starting on the third series very soon.  The characters can be a bit annoying at times but the storylines, once they get going, are pretty good.  And I'm developing a sad-old-man crush on Selena Gomez.

It's very easy watching and they get some serious guest stars. Martin Short is a constant delight. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1252
    "One Piece". 
    I'm one episode in and really enjoyed it.  I've never watched the anime.  Feels silly, fun, ridiculous, and very well made.

Thoughts?
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Ok..
    Im a big fan of top boy on netflix. 
    Was happy to hear the final season was to be released yesterday so had allocated yesterday evening to watch the full 6 episodes / 5 hours of it.
    Id seen a 4/5 review of it a week or so ago so was expecting it to be maybe as good as the rest, but fuck my goat its an absolute banger. 
    If you have not heard of top boy and vaguely interested in things like the godfather, breaking bad etc.. Watch the lot you shouldnt be disappointed. Confusingly the series are split, into summerhouse 1+2 (watch first), then standard top boy - remaining. Thats the sequence.
    Has everything, highly recommended. For me better than breaking bad and pure UK authenticity with some of the actors chosen from actually growing up in the area etc.
    An utter masterpiece of a final series 12/10.

Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    Just finished The Stranger on Netflix. Watchable and decent characters, but the various strands of the plot all fell to bits as they rushed to end it, and the final episode was daft. 6/10
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    swiller said:
    Ok..
    Was happy to hear the final season was to be released yesterday so had allocated yesterday evening to watch the full 6 episodes / 5 hours of it.
    Id seen a 4/5 review of it a week or so ago so was expecting it to be maybe as good as the rest, but fuck my goat its an absolute banger. 
    If you have not heard of top boy and vaguely interested in things like the godfather, breaking bad etc.. Watch the lot you shouldnt be disappointed. Confusingly the series are split, into summerhouse 1+2 (watch first), then standard top boy - remaining. Thats the sequence.
    Has everything, highly recommended. For me better than breaking bad and pure UK authenticity with some of the actors chosen from actually growing up in the area etc.

It’s a great series isn’t it. 

I preferred the original Channel 4 series to the Netflix series, but it’s still good. 

I watched the first episode last night. Enjoyed it. 

Thought the immigration bit was a bit Disney, but I think that’s the difference between the Channel 4 vs Netflix production. It was far more believable on Channel 4. Since Drake took over it’s more Hollywood. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    edited September 2023
    boogieman said:
    Chuffola said:
    1883 on Paramount +

9.5/10
    What, you mean he has different moustaches for different films, rather than use his own one? 
    Actually, he does.  Saw him in an interview where he explained he grows the moustache to match the character and he needs three weeks notice before turning up with the full version.  Its why he didn't have a moustache in Justified.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    swiller said:
    Ok..

Cheers @swiller ;
    I plan on signing up to Netflix for a month or two to watch this. Thoroughly enjoyed the other 4 series after @Danny1969 sang its praises.  I take it this is the end of the series, never to return again?
    edited September 2023
    I have 1 episode left to watch of The Bear Season 2 (Disney+) & am halfway through Season 2 of Atlanta (Disney+) Thoroughly enjoying both of them & would definitely recommend both if you are looking for something to watch.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    duotone said:
    swiller said:
    Ok..

Cheers @swiller ;
    I plan on signing up to Netflix for a month or two to watch this. Thoroughly enjoyed the other 4 series after @Danny1969 sang its praises.  I take it this is the end of the series, never to return again?
    apparently yes. It was rapper drake who funded this one as he loved it. 
    I suspect however and massively hope, that it will be an ongoing franchise. But it does also kind of conclude with this season.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    edited September 2023
    On holiday my daughter started watching The Last of Us. 

I can’t say I’ve actually watched it all but I’ve seen enough bits dipping in and out to know that I want to. 

When I saw a few bits in the first episode I thought, oh great, another zombie apocalypse thing. But the more of it I saw the more I realised it was actually really well done and the zombie stuff was only part of the backstory. 

The characters seemed incredibly well written and the different timelines that tell their backstory makes the viewer actually care about what happens to them. 

I got the gist of the story but need to watch it end to end. The bits I have seen I really enjoyed. To say that it’s a TV series of a video game kinda blew my mind a bit. 

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Watching 'Money Heist: Korea – Joint Economic Area'.
    It is excellent.
  • octatonic said:
    It is excellent.
    @octatonic did you watch the original Spanish ones? Interesting what they have and haven't brought across from the original. I suspect that the Korean one is better viewing if you aren't distracted by points of comparison. 
    edited September 2023
    swiller said:
    duotone said:
    swiller said:
    Ok..

Cheers @swiller ;;
    apparently yes. It was rapper drake who funded this one as he loved it. 
    I suspect however and massively hope, that it will be an ongoing franchise. But it does also kind of conclude with this season.
    @swiller ;;

Reading into it now it seems like Season 1 (4 episodes) &  Season 2  (4 episodes) were done for Channel 4 (2011-2013) & then it was cancelled. 

So Season 3 (10 episodes), Season 4 (8 episodes) & Season 5 (6 episodes) all have Drake’s backing/money.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49598537

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    octatonic said:
    It is excellent.
    @octatonic did you watch the original Spanish ones? Interesting what they have and haven't brought across from the original. I suspect that the Korean one is better viewing if you aren't distracted by points of comparison. 
    I haven't.
    I'm learning Korean so watching just K Drama at the moment.
  • octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    It is excellent.
    I haven't.
    I'm learning Korean so watching just K Drama at the moment.
    Ahh. Essentially it's the same plot (except for the reunification of Korea obviously) and mostly the same character names. Just Korean cultural references and no nudity and no mention of homosexuality.Probably the Korean one has tighter plotting as a benefit of being a remake. 

• I just started The Sopranos.

Late to the party as always! 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I just started The Sopranos.

I'm so jealous you have that journey ahead of you!
    Enjoy.
    I'm watching Warrior series 3 on sky.  It's not the wire but if, like me, you like kung fu and westerns then it's pretty great.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    I just started The Sopranos.

Enjoy.
    It’s still the best tv series to come out of the US as far as I’m concerned and I definitely need to watch it again. Haven’t seen it for about 10 years and I’m sure I’ve forgotten an awful lot of it. 
  • boogieman said:
    I just started The Sopranos.

Enjoy.
    It’s still the best tv series to come out of the US as far as I’m concerned and I definitely need to watch it again. Haven’t seen it for about 10 years and I’m sure I’ve forgotten an awful lot of it. 
    Same here - I even have it all ready for rematch, but just don't have time atm.

It's definitely top3 for me. Along with The Wire and Boardwalk Empire. 

Breaking bad, Game of Thrones, Succession- all quite close as well.