Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What Are You Listening To Now ? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What Are You Listening To Now ?

What's Hot

Comments

• New Withered Hand LP

https://witheredhand.bandcamp.com/album/how-to-love-album-2023 ;

If this isn't my favourite record of 2023 this will be a very good year. Its incredible. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The new Paramore album is excellent. I've not listened to them in the past so don't know much about them, but I loved the 'This is Why' single last year and the album carries this style on. The guitar tones are so good, kind of a fendery post-punk/new wave clean/break up sound, with quieter lush modulated sections. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    Chapter Four by Avenged Sevenfold

It's a band I've never really listened to before.  I started to listen to them this past month after watching a short YouTube documentary about their drummer The Rev (James Owen Sullivan).  I started with their 2nd album Waking The Fallen as it was one mentioned on the YouTube documentary that The Rev played & contributed to the songwriting on.

I was expecting the vocals to be quite different tbh, they are definitely more melodic than I thought.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    PhilW1 said:
    Green Lung
    saw them support Clutch before Xmas  and was really impressed so having a Green Lung binge on yoootube today.
    Gotta say I’m even more impressed the more I hear, heavy ,doomy, 
    sabbathy, (even a bit Uriah Heepy to me)
    Brilliant stuff

Its Queen. Lots and lots of early Queen
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Reverend said:
    PhilW1 said:
    Green Lung
    saw them support Clutch before Xmas  and was really impressed so having a Green Lung binge on yoootube today.
    Brilliant stuff

I love Green Lung.  Love the references to folk horror and things like Tombs of the Blind Dead.  I've got a Blu-ray edition of The Wicker Man with woodcut-style artwork by the guy who did the cover of Woodland Rites.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    PhilW1 said:
    Green Lung
    Brilliant stuff

I love Green Lung.  Love the references to folk horror and things like Tombs of the Blind Dead.  I've got a Blu-ray edition of The Wicker Man with woodcut-style artwork by the guy who did the cover of Woodland Rites.
    I have a print by the artist hanging in my hallway. I've not seen them live yet, but Scott has seen my band so perhaps I ought to at some point,
  • Alternating between Rush’s Moving Pictures and Iron Maiden’s Killers.  Wife isn’t happy as I’m drowning out her Lana Del Ray
    Killers is probably my fav Maiden album 

Currently i am mostly been listening to Anemone - The Brian Jonestown Massacre
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 189
    edited February 2023
    I don't know what they are singing about but the music sounds interesting.

파란노을 (Parannoul)

I'm listening to the early Dio albums.  On original release in the 1980s, I bought the first four studio albums as they came out, but increasingly lost interest and I don't think I have any of the later ones.

I absolutely loved - and still love - Holy Diver and I've listened to it hundreds of times over the years.  Somehow the subsequent albums never had anywhere near the same impact on me... and listening to them now I can see why.  There is some great stuff on The Last in Line and Sacred Heart, but some of the songs are really weak.

Right now I'm listening to the fifth album, Lock Up the Wolves, for the first time ever!  There are still lots of "oh, that sounds like..." moments, but young guitarist Rowan Robertson (in his only album with the band) adds a heavier, slightly bluesy swagger which I really like, and the keyboards take more of a back seat.
    Delain - Dark Waters

I'm not really keen on symphonic metal and I haven't heard much of Delain's earlier material, but somehow I've latched on to this one.  The songs are very catchy and melodic - they all sound very similar, to be absolutely honest - but new singer Diana Leah has a stunningly beautiful voice.
  • Black Country Radio. 

My youngest son is trying to get a slot on there and also get paid to sort their podcasting. In the meantime he’s guest presenter for an hour. So the delights of Taylor Swift, George  Ezra and ads for van servicing as well as my son’s velvet YamYam tones. 

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    This is quite good if you want a break from guitar music, it needs a bit of volume though.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Been hammering Master of Puppets this week. 

Such a great album. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 807
    "Tributaries"  - Larry Coryell, JOE Beck and John Scofield

"There And Back" - JEFF Beck.  I haven't played this for ages.  The 2nd track "Too Much To Lose" has a 30-second solo which is still one of the most brilliant solos I've ever heard.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Just listening to 6Music, Marc Riley show, well just because...
    He's played a couple of tracks from David Bowie's 16/05/1972 Ziggy Stardust BBC session.
    Moonage Daygream & Suffragette City.
    Fuck me, the sound quality & playing were amazing, the band were so tight that it was like listening to the album.
    Not all old stuff is good, but some certainly is. BBC sound engineers are pretty damn good generally too.
    Just found this, no idea of the quality but enjoy, ignore, whatever...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    He's played a couple of tracks from David Bowie's 16/05/1972 Ziggy Stardust BBC session.
    Fuck me, the sound quality & playing were amazing, the band were so tight that it was like listening to the album.
    Not all old stuff is good, but some certainly is. BBC sound engineers are pretty damn good generally too.

I was just thinking the same thing about the BBC!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    Small Faces Ultimate Collection. I really like them, and this just reinforces that. Great songs with loads of humour played with real personality and power. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Vintage65 said:

I was just thinking the same thing about the BBC!

Agree & that's from the perspective of a Joy Division / Martin Hannett fan.
    edited March 2023
    Agree & that's from the perspective of a Joy Division / Martin Hannett fan.
    I'm an early Bowie fan too, both are big influences on later music.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 476
    The nineteenth album by The Necks, released last week.

https://thenecksau.bandcamp.com/album/travel
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Esbjörn Svensson Trio. Seven days of falling. A great album to sort my accounts to whilst looking out the window at winter skies.

https://youtu.be/Ka9HS_4SIIw
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Puppet. Dreadful cheesy nonsense - like if Andrew WK bought a synth and vocoder. Brilliant. You will all hate it. :) 

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    https://youtu.be/uErKI0zWgjg

In tribute to Emp’s current guitar discussion. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849
    Today I am listening to CSN and David Crosby's first solo outing 'If Only I Could Remember My Name'.
    I'd purchased his last three albums last year cos I was blown away by how good they were  so hix death recently was particularly poignant.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 506
    edited March 2023
    Currently playing, ‘From Nothing To A Little Bit More’ by the Wigan indie band, The Lathums.
    Really enjoyable, please give it a listen

https://youtu.be/KrDnjE_VENs

https://youtu.be/1QINXLRx5Dk

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Plini - Handmade Cities and Finnvox Sessions

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Rival sons Rapture 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Small Faces Ultimate Collection. I really like them, and this just reinforces that. Great songs with loads of humour played with real personality and power. 
    My favourite band. Recently got into Humble Pie. Black Coffee is fantastic

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• 26.226.2 Frets: 486
    The last few days:

Fleetwood Mac 1969-74 box set
    Dream Syndicate - Ultraviolet Battle Hymns
    Rain Parade - Perfume River (live)
    The Jam - Setting Sons
    The Pretenders II
    La Düsseldorf- Viva
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Previously, Sugar Horse's Phil Spector In Hell

Now, Deadmaus's Pets

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."