Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Post-Lockdown pedal building - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    I don't recommend Blu-Tak as it can be tricky to remove completely afterwards and gets gooey when heated. I have had reasonable success using masking tape to hold small short-legged components like WIMA caps whilst soldering.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I do not have a PCB holder and I think I will snap one up thanks @Cookiemonster ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2021
    roberty said:
    I do not have a PCB holder and I think I will snap one up thanks @Cookiemonster ;;

I've just ordered this one. I buy a lot of bits from Switch Electronics - no affiliation, just a happy customer.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Finished off two builds tonight. Both Fuzzdog kits. 

Ram's Head Muff, and a double headed Llama - two Red Llamas in a single box. The RL is my favourite drive pedal but I find myself moving between low and high gain all the time so putting two in one box seemed like a good idea.

Annoyingly it'll need to wait to tomorrow to try them out but the switches and LEDs are behaving themselves so that's a good start! 

Next up is a clone of an EQD Grand Orbiter. Will be a much trickier build I think... 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Oh, and the pink enclosure came from Tayda. I used their drilling service. Great value - probably worked out at about a tenner shipped. Got here in less than a month. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Nice! The Tayda box looks great too. 

On my side of things, my fancy boxes are finally headed my way after being sent back to NY but not marked Return to Sender, so they came back to Dubai, then back to NY via LA. They’re coming back via my tame forwarding agent this time so should be with me at the weekend…
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited October 2021
    @stickyfiddle nice work mate. The double llama is a great idea

I've got a couple of builds on the go at the moment but got some guitar mods to finish first. I set up a soldering desk at my new place and organised my bits and bobbins, it's made a hell of a difference

Here it is in a rare moment of calm and order

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Not read the whole thread so apologies if this has been covered - but back in the day when I was into pedal building the best thing I ever did was make a Beavis Board http://beavisaudio.com/beavisboard/docs/HackersGuideToTheBeavisBoard.pdf so that I could

1. chuck together potential builds on a breadboard to see if I wanted to make them

2. Easily connect any build (breadboard or soldered) into my rig to try or troubleshoot 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    FINALLY! 

Now I have to work out what's going in them...

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Those look great. 
    Those look great. 
    Yup - definitely worth waiting for. No idea how well they'll hold up long-term but they look great right now and shouldn't be any worse than most powder coated stuff I reckon. I definitely want to build a TS into one of them, as I've actually never had a proper one, then I'm open to suggestions... 

The same guy has been putting some other circuits into top-mount Boss enclosures which is a lot of fun too. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    FINALLY! 

Now I have to work out what's going in them...

Almost a shame to drill em!
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • Built this tonight - a Fuzzdog clone of the Dinosaural TubeBender. Another Tayda enclosure, not sure of the knobs so they may get changed. 

Only had a quick play but seems like a cool circuit. This is a fairly legendary pedal that hardly anyone seems to have actually played. I don't think its groundbreakingly unique but I do like it a lot. Need to have a better play with it over the weekend. 

• Another one built this morning.

Grand Orbiter Clone --- probably my favourite phaser and the clone is absolutely spot on to the original. 

Was a little bit fiddly doing the pots/off board wiring but I'm pleased that I've greatly improved my wire dressing! 

Grand Orbiter Clone --- probably my favourite phaser and the clone is absolutely spot on to the original. 

Was a little bit fiddly doing the pots/off board wiring but I'm pleased that I've greatly improved my wire dressing! 

I built that one as well. Tight squeeze in the box. I did mine as top mounted jacks

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• Nice!

With hindsight I should have done top mounted jacks but hey ho. I'm at the "still pleased when it works first time" stage :-D
    Another one built this morning.

Ooh - what’s the name of the Fuzz Dog kit? I’m not exactly short of phasers but my interest is somewhat piqued!
  • Keefy said:

Ooh - what’s the name of the Fuzz Dog kit? I’m not exactly short of phasers but my interest is somewhat piqued!
    I did the Jed's one.

https://www.jedspeds.co.uk/product-page/phases-of-the-moon

Keefy said:

I did the Jed's one.

https://www.jedspeds.co.uk/product-page/phases-of-the-moon
    Thanks I’ll check that out.
  • The Fuzzdog kit is called the Moon Phaser. 
  • The only thing I don't like about the Fuzzdog one is that the control layout is different to the original. This is very much a first world problem but if you're used to the original it makes your head hurt at first - and I nearly put the pots in the wrong places! 
  • The only thing I don't like about the Fuzzdog one is that the control layout is different to the original. This is very much a first world problem but if you're used to the original it makes your head hurt at first - and I nearly put the pots in the wrong places! 
    I think the pots might be different on the Jed's as well. Plus it has the vibe setting to confuse even more 

Have you tried the EQD trem. That's my favourite build 

I think the pots might be different on the Jed's as well. Plus it has the vibe setting to confuse even more 

The EQD has a vibe setting too, it's one of the reasons I like it! 

I have played the EQD version of their tremolo but haven't built a clone. I might do, although given my amp is a PRRI I don't really feel like I need much tremolo in a pedal. 

The EQD has a vibe setting too, it's one of the reasons I like it! 

I have played the EQD version of their tremolo but haven't built a clone. I might do, although given my amp is a PRRI I don't really feel like I need much tremolo in a pedal. 
    It's more like Spaceman3 in a box. So a different type of trem

• euaneuan Frets: 1051
    Which trem kits are these?
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    edited November 2021
    euan said:
    Which trem kits are these?

Fuzzdog makes a Vox Repeat Percussion kit, which is what the Earthquaker Hummingbird is based on.

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/product/repeater

It's a very specific thing though, so may not be what you want from a tremolo pedal.

I can't see anywhere that sells a kit for the EQD Hummingbird specifically, but there's a stripboard layout:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/04/earthquaker-devices-hummingbird.html

...the 2n2646 transistors look to be an expensive proposition though, as electronic components go.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• My trem is a hummingbird I can't remember where I got the PCB. I will open it up and have a look

• Oh and I have some 2646 if anyone decides to build

Oh and I have some 2646 if anyone decides to build

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter