Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Post-Lockdown pedal building - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    ^^^ I think the helping hand would be more versatile. You could use it to clamp more than just PCBs- jackplugs or sockets etc 

... because if you can handle a pedal kit you'll find all sorts of other soldering jobs you can do. Pots, pickups, cables...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Yeah, I agree the general helping hand is more flexible and thus more useful
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    Pedals I'm actively working on atm: 

The Warden (PedalPCB)  (too deep for a 1550 - ordering a 125b) 

A passive octaver with a momentary switch and it's own buffer:

A Ghost Reverb (Fuzzdog) - again too deep for 1550... needs a 125 (thanks to my choice of electrolytic caps)

Which means this will be used to house a Timmy with a switchable clipping section:
    Jan Ray / Timmy / Dumkudo:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 828
    edited June 2021
    benga said:
    Once again this forum proves how nice it is  Thanks for all the advice. 

I saw that soldering station recommend in a few places Cookiemonster - if I get in to it I might slip it on to my birthday wish list. And thank you so much for the offer of help - you may regret that  o  

Last question and I promise I’ll hit the order button…

PCB holder

I have the holder, but will get a helping hand at some point.

I do like a bit of good old blu tak as well, which I learnt from Marcus Reeves

I would spend a bit more on the helping hand that one has some interesting reviews

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• benga said:
    Once again this forum proves how nice it is  =) Thanks for all the advice. 

I saw that soldering station recommend in a few places Cookiemonster - if I get in to it I might slip it on to my birthday wish list. And thank you so much for the offer of help - you may regret that  :o ;) 

Last question and I promise I’ll hit the order button…

PCB holder

If you do get into buy either a Jed's Peds or fuzz dog test kit. Best purchase you will make

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• slowpilgrimslowpilgrim Frets: 132
    Hey guys, I want to build a spring reverb for my vibro champ and looking around for options. I was thinking of getting a BJF kit from moodysounds, either with the spring in the pedal or the universal driver that uses an external tank. I’m a bit concerned about the size of their pedal tank:

https://moodysounds.com/en/reverb-kit-tank/

maybe the tank is too small for a good reverb. With the universal driver I could use a bigger tank mounted in the bottom of the cab:

https://moodysounds.com/en/universal-reverb-kit/

Are there any other alternatives for DIY spring reverbs with actual springs?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    I built a version of Craig Anderton’s Center Stage - the build diary is here. I did it as a rack unit but the original concept was for a pedal linked to a spring tank. I ended up using a MOD medium delay 9.25 inch tank which still gives a long smooth reverb effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    The Accutronics long tank mounted inside the pedal is 5.3". Seems short but maybe that would suit the 8 inch speaker quite well. I've had issues with big pad reverbs like the OBNE Dark Star just completely swamping it.
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 828
    edited June 2021
    Hey guys, I want to build a spring reverb for my vibro champ and looking around for options. I was thinking of getting a BJF kit from moodysounds, either with the spring in the pedal or the universal driver that uses an external tank. I’m a bit concerned about the size of their pedal tank:

https://moodysounds.com/en/reverb-kit-tank/

maybe the tank is too small for a good reverb. With the universal driver I could use a bigger tank mounted in the bottom of the cab:

https://moodysounds.com/en/universal-reverb-kit/

Are there any other alternatives for DIY spring reverbs with actual springs?
    Not a spring but I built the ghost echo and it's just fantastic

edited July 2021

The Warden (PedalPCB)  (too deep for a 1550 - ordering a 125b) 

A passive octaver with a momentary switch and it's own buffer:

A Ghost Reverb (Fuzzdog) - again too deep for 1550... needs a 125 (thanks to my choice of electrolytic caps)

Which means this will be used to house a Timmy with a switchable clipping section:
    Jan Ray / Timmy / Dumkudo:

lovely finish on that compressor!

I'd like to make a nice fuzz w/ NOS ge transistors, rather than pay for someone else's. Does anyone have any tips on buying and testing them? Do you just bulk buy off the 'bay and test them individually? If I just want a pair for a fuzz face, I assume I would need to order 30 or so to have a good chance of getting the right values?
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    You can get specific values from mouser, things like forward voltage and leakage all play a part.
    they don't seem to sell old transistors? unless i'm looking in the wrong place. I'm specifically after some CV7005s/OC72s.
  • StuCStuC Frets: 8

That enclosure looks a bit flimsy... I'd stick with metal.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    StuC said:

That enclosure looks a bit flimsy... I'd stick with metal.

Makes for a very transparent pedal...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bengabenga Frets: 19
    Order placed with JedsPeds for a Bass Fuzz as my first build  =) Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. You may regret it  ;) 
    benga said:
    Order placed with JedsPeds for a Bass Fuzz as my first build  =) Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. You may regret it  ;) 
    One of us.. one of us...
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    Has anyone built the Two Dozen Silvertone pedal by Fuzzdog? 

I quite fancy it - and I refuse to own a JHS pedal so their twin twelve is right out - but there's bugger all info or clips out there on this fuzzdog, which seems to be based on a fairly unique schematic and not a copy of anything.

It also uses SMD FETs which make me nervous because I bet I'd fry them.

Thoughts?

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Two_Dozen_Silvertones/p847124_18265209.aspx
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 140
    Has anyone built the Two Dozen Silvertone pedal by Fuzzdog? 

I quite fancy it - and I refuse to own a JHS pedal so their twin twelve is right out - but there's bugger all info or clips out there on this fuzzdog, which seems to be based on a fairly unique schematic and not a copy of anything.

It also uses SMD FETs which make me nervous because I bet I'd fry them.

Thoughts?

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/Two_Dozen_Silvertones/p847124_18265209.aspx
    With that kit the PCB has through holes as well as pads for the surface mount FETs so you might be able to source some through hole FETs elsewhere and use those instead.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534
    need to see what all this 'tonebender' fuss was about :)

so I built one and it's great fun - not the most complex build, which is probably best considering my ability. 

Kept the case plain and added a little emblem to give it something.

got the kit off ebay from a guy who clearly bought them but then didn't bother...

but it came from here:

https://www.musikding.de/The-Bender-Mk2-Germanium-Fuzz-kit

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1534

and another this time a Dallas Rangemaster clone which i got with the tone master kit. Hadn't even heard of it but it's been fun to play with... and some times just ear splitting with the amount of treble boost!

https://www.musikding.de/The-Range-Germanium-Treblebooster-kit
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 808
    Nice classy looking pedals right there, iconic.
    Yeah, good stuff - they look great. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    edited August 2021
    Decided to find out what all this Tone Bender fuss was about...

• Folks, I love the knobs that @stickyfiddle has used here, and I've used them on builds before, but does anyone know if there's a source of "the same, but smaller"? I am doing a 1590BB build, but need to fit four knobs across the space where Sticky's is only three. I think I probably need something closer to 14mm than 20mm! Also, more general question - good (UK) source of knobs where postage isnt ridiculous?

• Banzai definitely do similar ones in silver that I’ve used a few times. They do various sizes so you can get whatever you need. They’ve been a nightmare on actually sending stuff correctly and on time for my last couple of orders though…
  • Folks, I love the knobs that @stickyfiddle has used here, and I've used them on builds before, but does anyone know if there's a source of "the same, but smaller"? I am doing a 1590BB build, but need to fit four knobs across the space where Sticky's is only three. I think I probably need something closer to 14mm than 20mm! Also, more general question - good (UK) source of knobs where postage isnt ridiculous?

Jeds Peds ! They have there own range now as well

• Had anyone had any success using the "apply with a brush" hammerite paint (instead of the spraypaint stuff?).

The question I'm really asking - has anyone found a sensible solution to buying pre-painted enclosures if you don't own a pillar drill? 
  • I've used brushed on hammerite (green) and it worked fine.
    The only thing is it doesn't take some paints and things on top, if you were planning on painting designs or clear coating it.
  • Had anyone had any success using the "apply with a brush" hammerite paint (instead of the spraypaint stuff?).

The question I'm really asking - has anyone found a sensible solution to buying pre-painted enclosures if you don't own a pillar drill? 

Predrilled from Tayda !! 

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12324
    edited September 2021
    Had anyone had any success using the "apply with a brush" hammerite paint (instead of the spraypaint stuff?).

Predrilled from Tayda !! 
    Trying to order one now, but having issues making the drilling portal work... Followed the instructions but my order hasn't appeared in the portal and we're well past the fifteen minutes they told me to wait. 

Any tips?  

Edit: it automagically worked. 

Will report back when it eventually arrives...