Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Post-Lockdown pedal building - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Post-Lockdown pedal building

What's Hot

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    paulcaye said:
    Looks like a great project.

I am in the middle of doing a midi controlled fuzz, when I say in the middle of, I mean I have all the bits just not built it yet. 

Are you building from a kit, or making it up as you go along? ;)

If it's a kit, where's it from?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • paulcayepaulcaye Frets: 58
    paulcaye said:

I am in the middle of doing a midi controlled fuzz, when I say in the middle of, I mean I have all the bits just not built it yet. 

Are you building from a kit, or making it up as you go along? ;)

The fuzz is the basic fuzzdog bazz fuzz.  The midi part I have had on my breadboard for a while with a teensey unit.  Just have to put the two together, it is going to be completely controlled via midi, no knobs or switches.  Midi to switch on / off and change the settings, just need to get a few hours to put it together.  

Then it is onto bigger midi controlled things, assuming I don't frig it up and spend 4 months doing it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    edited April 2021
    paulcaye said:
    paulcaye said:

Are you building from a kit, or making it up as you go along?

The fuzz is the basic fuzzdog bazz fuzz.  The midi part I have had on my breadboard for a while with a teensey unit.  Just have to put the two together, it is going to be completely controlled via midi, no knobs or switches.  Midi to switch on / off and change the settings, just need to get a few hours to put it together.  

Then it is onto bigger midi controlled things, assuming I don't frig it up and spend 4 months doing it!
    That sounds really interesting - does that mean you'll be using the analogue out to control the resistors normally in the fuzz? 
    I saw a break-bout board for one of those... I'd be really keen to see that! 
    I guess the other approach would be 2 LDRs and an LED ... or is there a better way?

Re no knobs... small arduinos make using footswitch combos and holds so much more accessible. I was thinking about setting up a LERA ( http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/lera/lera.htm ) on the expression controller and using the two bank pedals to select the mode... 

• paulcayepaulcaye Frets: 58
    paulcaye said:
    paulcaye said:

Are you building from a kit, or making it up as you go along?

That sounds really interesting - does that mean you'll be using the analogue out to control the resistors normally in the fuzz? 
    I saw a break-bout board for one of those... I'd be really keen to see that! 
    I guess the other approach would be 2 LDRs and an LED ... or is there a better way?

Re no knobs... small arduinos make using footswitch combos and holds so much more accessible. I was thinking about setting up a LERA ( http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/lera/lera.htm ) on the expression controller and using the two bank pedals to select the mode... 

I am going to try with a digital potentiometer instead of the variable resistor in the fuzz and using midi (either PC or CC) messages to control the value upto 100.  I also have a LCD display to fit also, but not had chance to play with that yet.  

Once I have it working, then I can see at how I can expand it out.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    edited June 2021
    Here's my first ever build. A green ringer from JedsPeds. Worked first time, much to my amazement....

I cut the legs on the LED before I realised that I should have left them much longer,  so I had to replace that, which was a bit of a pain.

...and yes, I spent a while polishing that enclosure.
  • slowpilgrimslowpilgrim Frets: 132
    I have a silly question about vintage transistors. I fancy making a sun face clone with CV7005s. I’ve found a seller who tests them individually to suit Q1, but can’t find any high gain ones online for Q2. How do builders source their parts? I assume just ordering in bulk then praying you get some good ones?
    Also, is there a special type of paint pen you use on guitar pedals for doing fine script? Example here:

https://reverb.com/item/3827638-vemuram-jan-ray-clone

I've always painted on my lettering but this looks much more polished.
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 140
    Also, is there a special type of paint pen you use on guitar pedals for doing fine script? Example here:

https://reverb.com/item/3827638-vemuram-jan-ray-clone

I've always painted on my lettering but this looks much more polished.
    One of the finer tipped Posca pens will work for that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 337
    Posted this in the wrong place initially...

Well lockdown has kind of finished but I finally got around to building a kit which is Jed Peds Magna Vibes. At the pre switch and LED stage but it’s sounding lovely. Not keen on pure pitch vibrato but it’s a kind of tremolo / vibrato hybrid which I really like. Absolute bargain considering how much this kind of pedal sells for. Need to figure out how to make it go a bit slower, have some leads on that, photos when it’s boxed etc.

Update - Since I have worked out how to add pictures again (hit space!) here it is. Chorus blue was only working spray can I had. There’s a switchable Kl*n style buffer inside and I modded it a bit to go more slowly, gets more subtle the slower it goes but that’s fine with me. Loving the effect

Once in a while, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited June 2021
    Not quite in lockdown any more but these are too good not to share - saw them on Instagram and then on guitarworld. This guy in the US is doing a whole bunch of pretty custom enclosures, so I ordered a handful - some below and some others that I’ll unveil once I’ve worked out what I’m putting in them. A couple of rehouse jobs I think, and maybe a couple of new builds. 

Full review and separate post when they arrive! I’m hoping they’re as good as look in the demo images

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Awaiting my boxes from Tayda to box some up, I have so many to do now 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited June 2021
    It's still lockdown for another 5 weeks at least? I finished this last night. Not the prettiest but something I needed. SHO clone with an output attenuator and an input cap blend. The cap blend takes out some of the low bass which I hope will tighten things up when smashing the front end of an amp.  It is very subtle in its current form so will maybe look at lowering the small cap value if I can be bothered. I won't make any changes until I've tried it in anger (could be some time given the way things are going)

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Oh I got the hoof reaper clone kit from fuzz dog, without the enclosure tho.  That will be a fun build.  PCB is luxury after hand wiring/vero
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • roberty said:
    Oh I got the hoof reaper clone kit from fuzz dog, without the enclosure tho.  That will be a fun build.  PCB is luxury after hand wiring/vero
    Nice I did think about getting the reaper

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

Not quite in lockdown any more but these are too good not to share - saw them on Instagram and then on guitarworld. This guy in the US is doing a whole bunch of pretty custom enclosures, so I ordered a handful - some below and some others that I’ll unveil once I’ve worked out what I’m putting in them. A couple of rehouse jobs I think, and maybe a couple of new builds. 

Full review and separate post when they arrive! I’m hoping they’re as good as look in the demo images

middle one is a beauty, any idea how it's made? look like either paint dropped onto water and then the enclosure is submerged, like swirl painting but without swirling. or maybe just paint dropped onto the enclosure with some kind of carrier, like a solvent?

middle one is a beauty, any idea how it's made? look like either paint dropped onto water and then the enclosure is submerged, like swirl painting but without swirling. or maybe just paint dropped onto the enclosure with some kind of carrier, like a solvent?
    Yeah, I can’t wait to get them, though not sure what’s going on any yet. 

I believe that one is ink drops onto the pedal while it’s wet with some holding compound (possibly alcohol based). Keep an eye on the guy’s Instagram stories a lbs he does the odd demo clip of the process. 

https://instagram.com/gear_ant
  • bengabenga Frets: 19
    I’m in awe of all of you =)

This thread has got me wanting to have a go myself. Any recommended starter tool kits out there for someone that has none of of the required tools? Jedspeds had a kit but it looks like some of it is out of stock so l’d need to by extra bits anyway: https://www.jedspeds.co.uk/product-page/beginners-tool-kit
  • benga said:
    I’m in awe of all of you =)

This thread has got me wanting to have a go myself. Any recommended starter tool kits out there for someone that has none of of the required tools? Jedspeds had a kit but it looks like some of it is out of stock so l’d need to by extra bits anyway: https://www.jedspeds.co.uk/product-page/beginners-tool-kit
    You don't need much.
    I have a hakko now for the soldering iron. But you really don't need to spend that much to get started.

You need a soldering iron, some good choices online, Jeds sell one. Similar ones are on amazon or ebay, you will want a finer tip though.
    You need some solder 60/40 is recommended mostly. I actually use led free though 
    If you have screwdrivers etc you can pretty much get away with just this and a bazz fuss kit. Only a few parts and easy to make 
    If you can get a soldering iron that has a variable heat on it.
    Importantly you don't want the iron to low, it's actually better to be hotter.
    Watch some videos online of how to solder, there is a channel called diy pedals, you will learn a lot on that.
    For identifing parts that come with the kit, I would get a multi meter, it's much easier than reading the bands on the resistors.
    For the caps initially just Google or ask. 
    Lots of people will help.
    Down the line you can get a fairly cheap 15 tester that will tell you cap values and HFE if the transistor.

On Amazon you can get a pcb holder, and a plastic/ rubber matt that makes it easier and cleaner.

You do need some side cutters if you don't already have some.

• I started out with something like this, but the iron wasn't great. Actually more the tips. But I made a good few before I upgraded.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08C9YQ62T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_QE1C2A04R5Z9HPGDTG7R ;

I still have the bag/case though and still use the cutters I just upgraded most of it as I got better.

edited June 2021
    I've had a cheapish Weller for a long time that's done me pretty well. It keeps eating tips since I moved to abu dhabi - I assume because the voltage here is about 245V so the iron itself is getting too hot. I've almost run out of tips now so I see a temp-controlled unit in the not-too-distant future. 

Re starter kits, I'm a big fan of Fuzzdog stuff - try one of his 1-pot boosters as a starting point and you'll soon get into it. They usually have about 10 components on a simple board, so it's easy to sort your parts and relatively difficult to make mistakes :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thanks for the info. I’d started going down a rabbit hole thinking about getting some decent kit to start with, but you’re right - start small and see if it’s for me.

The kit Cookiemonster linked too looks like it covers most bases for a beginner.

Had a look at the instructions for both Fuzzdod and Jedspeds, and Jeds seems to have more detailed instructions for a total beginner so might start with one of their kits.

Down the line you can get a fairly cheap 15 tester that will tell you cap values and HFE if the transistor.

Showing my lack of knowledge here - what’s a 15 tester? Google’s not helping.
  • benga said:

Showing my lack of knowledge here - what’s a 15 tester? Google’s not helping.
    Sorry I meant £15, there is a whole bunch of these on eBay at varying prices.
    Example link below 
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transistor-Tester-Capacitance-Meter-Electronic-Component-NPN-PNP-JFET-LCR-TC1-/184862383896?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

• CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 828
    edited June 2021
    benga said:
    Thanks for the info. I’d started going down a rabbit hole thinking about getting some decent kit to start with, but you’re right - start small and see if it’s for me.

The kit Cookiemonster linked too looks like it covers most bases for a beginner.

Had a look at the instructions for both Fuzzdod and Jedspeds, and Jeds seems to have more detailed instructions for a total beginner so might start with one of their kits.
    I have used both Jeds and Fuzz Dog and I rate both.
    Jeds has a really fantastic support page on Facebook that helped me a lot at the start.
    If you want a good easy first one the Bazz Fuss is very easy with  really detailed instructions, it has like 6 parts, but sounds huge 
    Fuzz dog is super fast for postage and is highly recommended as well.
    Then there is Vero, if you like idea of that Bitsbox do kits.

The only think about that cheap solder kit is the tips do not last. So if you are thinking of spending the extra on a better iron that would be the area to invest in.
    I did find the cheaper kit useful for the tools etc. There probably are similar kits without the iron.

Definitely get a solder sucker ! That is a must for when you need to redo something or change a part.

Eventually I got tired of the poor quality iron and bought this 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077B9Q6SJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_5VTSPRF7NG93BF1P5BT2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Another thing is join all the diy pedal pages on Facebook and Reddit you will get lots of help on them.

Also if you don't mind drilling to your own boxes you can just get the board and source the components, which is what I do now.

I learnt a lot about soldering by buying some cheap PCBs to practice on from otalgia on eBay, for such a cheap price you can build some very good circuits. 

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 4817
    benga said:

If you think detailed instructions will help you (they will, IMO), Build Your Own Clone pedals go even further than Jeds Peds.

UK dealer is www.vibe-o-tronic.co.uk. Limited and less trendy choices, but really beginner friendly if they have something that takes your fancy.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Yeah, BYOC are decent - my first build was one of theirs and went very smoothly. Must've been 15+ years ago now. :o
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 828
    edited June 2021
    Yeah, BYOC are decent - my first build was one of theirs and went very smoothly. Must've been 15+ years ago now. o
    I haven't tried these, looks a bit expensive. But heard great things about BYOC

There is also the German site.  musikding kits. That's has pedal PCB ones which I would like to try

• benga said:

I have used both Jeds and Fuzz Dog and I rate both.
    Jeds has a really fantastic support page on Facebook that helped me a lot at the start.
    If you want a good easy first one the Bazz Fuss is very easy with  really detailed instructions, it has like 6 parts, but sounds huge 
    Fuzz dog is super fast for postage and is highly recommended as well.
    Then there is Vero, if you like idea of that Bitsbox do kits.

The only think about that cheap solder kit is the tips do not last. So if you are thinking of spending the extra on a better iron that would be the area to invest in.
    I did find the cheaper kit useful for the tools etc. There probably are similar kits without the iron.

Definitely get a solder sucker ! That is a must for when you need to redo something or change a part.

Eventually I got tired of the poor quality iron and bought this 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077B9Q6SJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_5VTSPRF7NG93BF1P5BT2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Another thing is join all the diy pedal pages on Facebook and Reddit you will get lots of help on them.

Also if you don't mind drilling to your own boxes you can just get the board and source the components, which is what I do now.

I learnt a lot about soldering by buying some cheap PCBs to practice on from otalgia on eBay, for such a cheap price you can build some very good circuits. 

If you get a kit and need a hand, I will be happy to help

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 808
    Yeah, BYOC are decent - my first build was one of theirs and went very smoothly. Must've been 15+ years ago now. o
    I haven't tried these, looks a bit expensive. But heard great things about BYOC

There is also the German site.  musikding kits. That's has pedal PCB ones which I would like to try
    Musikding are nice kits, but post brexit, might not be as cost effective.
    Fuzzdog are highly recommended, take care with options when ordering- boxes and knobs are not inc in full kits, but at the end of the day, something like the Emperor, which seems expensive, actually is very good value compared to the pedal it is based on.
    Something like the Noisy cricket is very rewarding, and IMO, the Angry Andy is a brilliant, simple first attempt.
    I did the Wrecktifier BECAUSE it is listed as a hard pedal, and it really wasn't that hard, just a good exercise in planning.
    Get a multimeter, a cheap iron and some good wire trimmers and you'll be golden.
    Once again this forum proves how nice it is  =) Thanks for all the advice. 

I saw that soldering station recommend in a few places Cookiemonster - if I get in to it I might slip it on to my birthday wish list. And thank you so much for the offer of help - you may regret that  :o ;) 

Last question and I promise I’ll hit the order button…

PCB holder