Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Clare_Bear's smiley happy thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Clare_Bear's smiley happy thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9793
    I have just caught up with the designer of my Trilogy VTi, and arranged with him to overhaul it. 'Tis a much loved piece of kit and I'd be very happy to have it back in operation again. No disrespect to the Quads and Radford I've been using while it's not in service, it is just nice to have the choice!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    edited August 2018
    I was driving down a residential street today when I clocked a large Chihuahua sniffing a parked car wheel on the road side.  Very dangerous place for a little dog, so I stopped until he'd lost interest and had trotted onto the pavement.  Immediately, several kids came running out of a nearby house followed by several adults, shouting a dog's name.  They spotted him in seconds and whilst one kid hauled the wayward mutt inside, one little girl was still running around, obviously distraught, calling "Daphne!, Daphne!" and looking under cars etc.

I figured there was another mutt who had made a run for if so decided to do a quick recce of the area seeing as I was in the car and they were on foot and the little bugger couldn't have got that far in a short time.  Very shortly after, I turned up a road a few streets away and spotted a little Chihuahua puppy looking rather lost.  I stopped the car, opened the door and called "Daphne, come and see me".  She trotted over the road and climbed onto my outstretched hand.

She was cold and shaking a bit and I headed back to where the family were searching.  The father spotted her in my arms and came running over.  He was very grateful and shook my hand a lot.  The little girl came running over in floods of tears and was ecstatic to have her little doggy back safely.

blush 
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    Emp_Fab said:
    I was driving down a residential street today when I clocked a large Chihuahua sniffing a parked car wheel on the road side.  Very dangerous place for a little dog, so I stopped until he'd lost interest and had trotted onto the pavement.  Immediately, several kids came running out of a nearby house followed by several adults, shouting a dog's name.  They spotted him in seconds and whilst one kid hauled the wayward mutt inside, one little girl was still running around, obviously distraught, calling "Daphne!, Daphne!" and looking under cars etc.

I figured there was another mutt who had made a run for if so decided to do a quick recce of the area seeing as I was in the car and they were on foot and the little bugger couldn't have got that far in a short time.  Very shortly after, I turned up a road a few streets away and spotted a little Chihuahua puppy looking rather lost.  I stopped the car, opened the door and called "Daphne, come and see me".  She trotted over the road and climbed onto my outstretched hand.

She was cold and shaking a bit and I headed back to where the family were searching.  The father spotted her in my arms and came running over.  He was very grateful and shook my hand a lot.  The little girl came running over in floods of tears and was ecstatic to have her little doggy back safely.

blush 
    Brilliant job! Hats off to you for that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • i lost our little chihuahua puppy today, my daughter was heartbroken....then a greasy fat man puled up in an old capri and opened the door .......and to our amazement there she was, shivering and cold, terrified of the big man but safe..thankyou
    4reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    edited August 2018
    I was so tempted to stick a comedy false ending to that, like “I said goodbye and pulled away - straight over the dog” or “I picked up the puppy, and now I’m quids in, I’ll get at least £500 for it.”

lol 
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • After a summer of very few students, including some classes where there were more teachers than students, there were quite a lot of kids at judo class tonight. 

Good news for the coffers, but I'm knackered.

Here's hoping that they come back and become regulars.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Put my mum's old house on the market last Wednesday.

Accepted an offer yesterday for £20k more than we thought we'd get. Cash buyer, no chain. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 11742
    Sporky said:
    Put my mum's old house on the market last Wednesday.

Accepted an offer yesterday for £20k more than we thought we'd get. Cash buyer, no chain. 
    Nice one, especially as there’s lots of talk at the moment about the housing market being flat. 
    We were sensible about the asking price and what we'd accept. It's also a lovely house in a really quiet road, but you can be in London in under an hour.

We're going to be house hunting in a couple of months - deliberately targeting ones that have been on the market for a while and being downright brutal with offers... 
    Sporky said:
    We were sensible about the asking price and what we'd accept. It's also a lovely house in a really quiet road, but you can be in London in under an hour.

We're going to be house hunting in a couple of months - deliberately targeting ones that have been on the market for a while and being downright brutal with offers... 
    Moving? Haven’t you not long spent shedloads (groan)  of money on your workshop? Or is that going with you? @Sporky ;
    The building will stay, the contents will come with us and go into a garage or a new dedicated workshop depending on where we end up.

Lady BMcH and I are both keen to have neighbours who are further away.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sporky said:

Lady BMcH and I are both keen to have neighbours who are further away.
    Same as us. Our neighbours are nice people, but they’ve got a 15 year old daughter who apparently can only shout rather than talk and has just started having parties that would put a Motörhead gig to shame, volumewise.  :s
    Our immediate neighbours are fine, but there's a family across the street who regularly have people trying to break their door down or sitting outside revving their engines and beeping the horn because they're too lazy to get out and ring the bell...
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2394
    I've been saddened (I know, grow a spine) by all the vitriol in recent political threads so I thought that bumping up this smiley happy thread (the antidote to the perpetual grumble/rant thread in BCD) was overdue. It's been neglected for ten months which surely doesn't mean that nothing good (other than new gear) has happened to anyone in that time? Just forgotten I suspect.

Fifteen months ago @clare_bear herself made a brief return and hoped to get back into guitar playing so hopefully that worked out.

Assuming it's not all gloom and doom everywhere (heaven forbid) it would be good to see this thread continued with more tales to bring a smile and remind us what's good about life. For my part, I live with the loveliest woman on the planet so every day is good :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 293
    yesterday was the 21st anniversary of the neurosurgery that saved my life, that is certainly something to be very happy about, and yes I am smiling :) ...
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    After a shitty week riddled with depression and anxiety that finished with having to give one of my team a shitty review and notice of being put on observation, I am actually starting to feel a little better.

I finished two pedal builds yesterday (my first in at least 3 years), we're going to see family in the UK in 2 weeks, followed by a few days in Rome to relax with MrsF, where I will be eating my bodyweight in gluten free pizza. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Jimbro66 said:

Fifteen months ago @clare_bear herself made a brief return and hoped to get back into guitar playing so hopefully that worked out.

So lovely to see this thread still going - and being used for it's original purpose of spreading positivity.

Yes, I have been playing my guitar again - thanks for asking
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Nice to hear from you @clare_bear , I hope you and yours are all well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Nitefly said:
    Nice to hear from you @clare_bear , I hope you and yours are all well.

Thank you @Nitefly . All good thanks. Hope all is good with you. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    My wife keeps notes of comments from my autistic son that make us laugh (of which there are many) she found one yesterday where he didn't want to go to school one morning and so dragged himself into the room by his finger tips and said he couldn't go to school as his spine had 'fallen out during the night.'

It was nearly good enough.... 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    I logged onto my uni a day early, from a cave in Wales (user error when I booked my holiday) and found that I've passed the MSc I've been grafting at for a couple of years.  This has made me... I can't even remember what this emotion is...
    I'm super-realistic about it, I know an MSc is not pushing back the frontiers of science but it's a thing to me.
    Condensing a long story:  my strengths are qualitative but somehow I ended doing quantitative lab-based work.
    Love/Hate.
    I'd never have gone this way except because of the long story.  But I'm glad that I did.
    It's a bit like today:  Wales is feckin' weird:  one minute you're in a coffee shop in Abergavenny then you're in the middle of nowhere looking for a waterfall.  Waterfalls are "down" I went "up" and ended up on top of Pen-y-Fen. 
    So I'll ache tomorrow. 
    TLDR:  I passed something that wasn't a poo; don't follow me if you need to get anywhere.
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Grunfeld said:
    I logged onto my uni a day early, from a cave in Wales (user error when I booked my holiday) and found that I've passed the MSc I've been grafting at for a couple of years.  This has made me... I can't even remember what this emotion is...
    I'm super-realistic about it, I know an MSc is not pushing back the frontiers of science but it's a thing to me.
    Condensing a long story:  my strengths are qualitative but somehow I ended doing quantitative lab-based work.
    Love/Hate.
    I'd never have gone this way except because of the long story.  But I'm glad that I did.
    It's a bit like today:  Wales is feckin' weird:  one minute you're in a coffee shop in Abergavenny then you're in the middle of nowhere looking for a waterfall.  Waterfalls are "down" I went "up" and ended up on top of Pen-y-Fen. 
    So I'll ache tomorrow. 
    TLDR:  I passed something that wasn't a poo; don't follow me if you need to get anywhere.

Yay! Some good news! Congrats!!
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    Congrats @Grunfeld. A fitting reward for all that graft and something to be really proud of.
  • 479 unread posts! Anyway, congrats to @Grunfeld :bleep_bloop: 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    edited September 2019
    479 unread posts! ..........
    A very worthwhile read as antidote to all the political squabbling poisoning this forum
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    @Grunfeld that is fantastic news indeed - well done matey!

• I completed Inktober.

Got to drag out some techniques I've not use in years, and learned some new stuff.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Tonight is my last night of stoptober haven’t had a drink since 19th September. 

I have found it fine. Missus Munckee not so much!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    I completed Inktober.

Got to drag out some techniques I've not use in years, and learned some new stuff.
    @snakemanStoo I only found out about that this morning -- way too late to join in but it's right up my street.  Well done and I hope it was fun.

@munckee nice one!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited April 2021
    Bumping this because a) we all need a bit of positivity right now, and b) I just finished a massive project that's taken the last 2.5 years, and was the first thing I was put in fully charge of after my last promotion. Huge milestone and an even bigger relief to have it off my plate. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter