Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Adam Jones Epiphone - anyone want to hazard a guess as to when they’ll be announced? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Adam Jones Epiphone - anyone want to hazard a guess as to when they’ll be announced?

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    stonevibe said:
    Offset said:
    I don't see the point of the guitar or who it's aimed at.  I presume it'll be left on a hanger with the strings facing the wall.  Take away the 'artwork' and it's just another Epiphone LP, albeit an overpriced one.
    • Tool fans (they love collectables it would seem)
    • Anyone wanting a maple three-piece neck Les Paul Custom under £3-4k new
    • Fans of Silverbursts
    • Fans of the artists on the rear of guitars
    • Advanced Dungeons & Dragons players from the '80s
    • Guitar Collectors
    • Fans of Adam Jones
    • Reverb Bedroom Dealers
    So for use as a guitar... hardly anyone on that basis :-)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 6677
    I got one as I like maple neck Les Paul Customs and so it was currently the cheapest way to get one. I'm not a Tool fan and I am not a huge fan of Silverburst finish (prefer plain black).

Admittedly I did play AD&D as a kid in the early '80s, so you got me.  ;)
    You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    stonevibe said:
    I got one as I like maple neck Les Paul Customs and so it was currently the cheapest way to get one. I'm not a Tool fan and I am not a huge fan of Silverburst finish (prefer plain black).

Admittedly I did play AD&D as a kid in the early '80s, so you got me.  ;)
    Ha ha!  Well as long as it floats your boat, that's all that matters.  That I don't personally get it is neither here nor there :-) 

...and if you tire of it, well... you won't lose money on it that's for sure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MaakMaak Frets: 52
    edited January 2023
    Offset said:
    I don't see the point of the guitar or who it's aimed at.  I presume it'll be left on a hanger with the strings facing the wall.  Take away the 'artwork' and it's just another Epiphone LP, albeit an overpriced one.
    Tool fans seem to be okay with paying a lot of money for Tool related things.  I went to a gig last year and the prices for some of the merch was crazy.

The big prices were for signed items, but still.  That's a loooot of money!

Not my photo, but here's a sample;

I count myself as a fan.  I got one of the epiphones with the bees.  I prefer that rather than a signed programme for 850 quid!!!  I'm not as keen on the beserker (despite being a frazetta fan)  I think the bees artwork suits the guitar finish/colour better.  I also like Mark Ryden's stuff as well, so double bonus!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    I’m sorry but it becomes a point when you are taking the piss out of your fanbase. I like Tool, but I went to see The Cure (who will probably outlast Tool) and their T-shirts were £20.00. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3165
    edited January 2023
    I’m sorry but it becomes a point when you are taking the piss out of your fanbase. I like Tool, but I went to see The Cure (who will probably outlast Tool) and their T-shirts were £20.00. 
    I hear ya, and this isn’t a defence of Tool but lets say you only release one album every 10 years and gig infrequently.  the vast majority of a band’s actual income comes not from the sales or streaming of their records but on ticket sales and merchandise , perhaps that’s why their chancing their arm asking such high prices and perhaps that’s why there seems to be a que of people lined up to pay those prices because £60 a t shirt every ten years is ok with them ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’m sorry but it becomes a point when you are taking the piss out of your fanbase. I like Tool, but I went to see The Cure (who will probably outlast Tool) and their T-shirts were £20.00. 
    I have to agree with this, and it's also no secret about MJK's open dislike of fanbois. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the pricing was in part influenced by that out of some twisted sense of mockery of them. 

I'm fortunate enough to have seen Tool a couple of times now, and I went to the O2 gig last year too. I really wanted to buy one of their posters, but I could not justify the asking prices at all - it's just pure consumerism at that point. 

Ironically, I didn't mind paying a £400 premium* for the Epi VoB sig, as that would have at least had some functional purpose for me and the artwork and limited factor was simply a nice-to-have.

*the Jerry Cantrell Wino LPC sig seems a fair baseline; The extra for the AJ gets you an SD Distortion pickup, generic tuners (instead of Grovers), silverburst finish, artwork, and a different case… bargain :bleep_bloop: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • £250 for a poster is an absolute piss take, even if it’s signed 

I really wanted the new Slash book by Gibson with all the pics of his guitars.  2 versions at £250 and £1000. No thanks, £250 a book. Gibson prices as usual 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 847
    edited January 2023
    Just listened to Tool for the first time, gotta say and sorry to whoever this offends but fuck me what a load of wank.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    lamf68 said:
    Just listened to Tool for the first time, gotta say and sorry to whoever this offends but fuck me what a load of wank.
    @lamf68 everyone who's dealt with you always says what a lovely nice chap you are!  ;)  But hey, all opinions are valid.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    I'm not really much of a Tool fan (too much self indulgent filler material for me), but I love a silverburst LP. The artwork on these is very ugly though.
    Philly_Q said:
    lamf68 said:
    @lamf68 everyone who's dealt with you always says what a lovely nice chap you are!  ;)  But hey, all opinions are valid.
    I thought I'd have a random run through of Tool numbers across the years before forming an opinion.  I'd obviously heard of them and probably heard some of their stuff unknowingly but I wouldn't have known Adam Jones from, errm, Adam.

I'd have to say I'd side with Rich on this one.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lamf68 said:
    Can I be excused? I only wanted a silver burst lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 847
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    lamf68 said:
    I thought I'd have a random run through of Tool numbers across the years before forming an opinion.  I'd obviously heard of them and probably heard some of their stuff unknowingly but I wouldn't have known Adam Jones from, errm, Adam.

I'd have to say I'd side with Rich on this one.
    I’d honestly never heard of them until this guitar popped into the domain. I’ve been spraying all day with Damned Damned Damned and Machine Gun Etiquette on repeat, popped Tool into Spotify for twenty minutes and will never listen to them again. On the guitar front, if it was a Captain Sensible signature model I’d probably buy one 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited January 2023
    lamf68 said:
    Can I be excused? I only wanted a silver burst lol
    Course you can :-)

I confess I bought a signature model around 8 years back because the spec of the guitar interested me.  I had zero interest in the artist or band associated with it.  I chopped it in after a short period of time because it was a crap guitar.

I'm a Hendrix, Winter, Gallagher nut amongst others.  Would I be interested in a (overpriced) signature model for any of them?  Not on your life.  Fender do multiple sigs for JH and one for RG, and Gibson do a JW Firebird and a JH V.  I have my own Firebird and a Strat.  I'm interested in making them mine, not trying to look like my heroes.  God forbid someone might expect you to play like them as well :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Maak said:
    Offset said:
    Tool fans seem to be okay with paying a lot of money for Tool related things.  I went to a gig last year and the prices for some of the merch was crazy.

The big prices were for signed items, but still.  That's a loooot of money!

Not my photo, but here's a sample;

I count myself as a fan.  I got one of the epiphones with the bees.  I prefer that rather than a signed programme for 850 quid!!!  I'm not as keen on the beserker (despite being a frazetta fan)  I think the bees artwork suits the guitar finish/colour better.  I also like Mark Ryden's stuff as well, so double bonus!
    My son bought a Brass Against t shirt, didn't realise it was £35! 

Venues invariably take a cut on merchandise and Resorts World (where we saw Tool) certainly do. So although some of those prices are taking the piss there's a point at which it's not worth their while selling stuff. Merch at all the NEC owned venues is always crazy expensive. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I just had a call from Andertons asking if I wanted to pre-order one of the Berserker models before release as I bought my (short-lived) Veil-of-Bees model from there. 

While I can't help but feel that's a nice gesture to the lucky few who managed to snag a VoB model and would want to get the rest of the set, it also feels pretty unfair to anyone else who wasn't able to get an Epi AJ at retail prices the first time around! 

I declined btw, though if anyone wants the new one I could probably call up and get it reserved still under my name if that helps?!

• My son bought a Brass Against t shirt, didn't realise it was £35! 

Venues invariably take a cut on merchandise and Resorts World (where we saw Tool) certainly do. So although some of those prices are taking the piss there's a point at which it's not worth their while selling stuff. Merch at all the NEC owned venues is always crazy expensive. 
    Support bands have to match the headliners prices too...
    The Adam Jones Korin Faught Sensation model has been spotted.

You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    Gross. Just release the plain one already!
    Think the plain back will probably be last 

• PabcranePabcrane Frets: 477
    These painting editions (although not my kind of thing) are pretty amazing though.
    These were also spotted

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    Plain please and £200 off 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    Oooh, I like the Faught version!
    Good grief.  Each to their own etcetera but I just do not get it.
    The newly leaked Julie Heffernan model now looks to be the third release.

• duotoneduotone Frets: 885
    stonevibe said:
    The newly leaked Julie Heffernan model now looks to be the third release.
    @stonevibe ;

https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/AdamJonesArtCollection

Have the artworks/rear of the guitars been available, so people can wait for their favourite to be released or is it very secret squirrel?

• Latest version now in stock at Andertons. 

Epiphone have increased the price by £200. Now £1349 which is an absolute joke 
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 698
    In stock at other stores for the same price too. Didn't the first two sell out instantly, or before they even hit the stores?

Wonder if its the price increase or "artwork" on this one that's holding people back. Or that the first two runs have catered for the ones desperate to get one.

By the time they get around to releasing the standard one without artwork, epiphones will be nearly 2k at this rate.