Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Rugby Union Thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot
1366367368369370372»

Comments

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    The RFU want to sell out twickenham every match, the Fiji game 2 months ago was barely half full as there doesn’t seem to be as much interest if it’s not a tier 1 opponent. The lower tier teams do need more exposure and game time, I just don’t think there’s a fan base to support it unless the big unions are willing to share the wealth a bit better, I’d go and watch them play Portugal et al if they were willing to drop the ticket price but that’ll never happen. I’ve started going to women’s football games with my daughter, tickets are cheap, great atmosphere, record crowd for a women’s league game
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    What happens if Scotland or Wales finish bottom - Think they have once or twice since it has been a 6 nations tournament 
    They drop out. Just like everyone else would. It cannot be a reserved slot system. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    edited October 2023
    What happens if Scotland or Wales finish bottom - Think they have once or twice since it has been a 6 nations tournament 
    They drop out. Just like everyone else would. It cannot be a reserved slot system. 
    At which point the 6N folds. Financially, dropping out of the 6N would ruin Rugby in Wales / Scotland - they simply wouldn't recover. I'd say a second tier European International Tournament is required to establish itself (teams / standards and money) before promotion/ relegation could be considered. Or go back to an amateur only game?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1324
    elstoof said:
    The RFU want to sell out twickenham every match, the Fiji game 2 months ago was barely half full as there doesn’t seem to be as much interest if it’s not a tier 1 opponent. The lower tier teams do need more exposure and game time, I just don’t think there’s a fan base to support it unless the big unions are willing to share the wealth a bit better, I’d go and watch them play Portugal et al if they were willing to drop the ticket price but that’ll never happen. I’ve started going to women’s football games with my daughter, tickets are cheap, great atmosphere, record crowd for a women’s league game
    Twickenham prices are ridiculous…… drop the prices and host games around the regions. By the time you have travel costs, early starts or even hotel bills, watching England at HQ is an expensive business. Attendance might be the the same but better atmosphere and you promote the game in the regions…..?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Given the degree of entertain on offer for England supporters right now, I couldn’t justify the expense of a trip to Twickenham, probably plus night out and stopover in London. 

If I want to stick needles in my eyes I may as well do it on the cheap. 
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    rsvmark said:
    elstoof said:
    Twickenham prices are ridiculous…… drop the prices and host games around the regions. By the time you have travel costs, early starts or even hotel bills, watching England at HQ is an expensive business. Attendance might be the the same but better atmosphere and you promote the game in the regions…..?
    Then you still have the Twickers overhead.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    rsvmark said:
    elstoof said:
    Then you still have the Twickers overhead.
    Nah, flog it. Better still convert to the London HS2 terminus! 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4255
    rsvmark said:
    Changing topic slightly. One commentator mentioned that one of the lower ranked nations (I can’t recall who….. ) now had no test matches planned after the World Cup. None. And yet our autumn internationals were announced as (yawn) Australia, ABs and the Boks. I don’t know who makes these decisions but with the national game in crisis, players going to France either for the dough or because they are offered a decent contract (a well known player from one of the clubs who went bust was offered an annual salary of £50k btw) There is a lack of funding and investment in the international lower tiers, so why don’t we play Fiji, Georgia, USA etc in the autumn internationals- they are massive money spinners and should be used to share financials and promotion globally. Or is that just too simple?

Why dont we invite these third tier mations to tour the UK? Play the better clubs, even possibly Wales , England 'A' teams. It would give a good chance for coaches to try out new talent. And while we are on that subject why dont countries have Probables vs Possibles matches anymore?? Would be a nice little earner, no?
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    hywelg said:
    rsvmark said:
    Changing topic slightly. One commentator mentioned that one of the lower ranked nations (I can’t recall who….. ) now had no test matches planned after the World Cup. None. And yet our autumn internationals were announced as (yawn) Australia, ABs and the Boks. I don’t know who makes these decisions but with the national game in crisis, players going to France either for the dough or because they are offered a decent contract (a well known player from one of the clubs who went bust was offered an annual salary of £50k btw) There is a lack of funding and investment in the international lower tiers, so why don’t we play Fiji, Georgia, USA etc in the autumn internationals- they are massive money spinners and should be used to share financials and promotion globally. Or is that just too simple?

Why dont we invite these third tier mations to tour the UK? Play the better clubs, even possibly Wales , England 'A' teams. It would give a good chance for coaches to try out new talent. And while we are on that subject why dont countries have Probables vs Possibles matches anymore?? Would be a nice little earner, no?
    There's some "history" to address first.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-rugby-union-england-fiji-finance-idUKKBN13D1FU
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4255
    edited October 2023
    exocet said:
    hywelg said:
    rsvmark said:

There's some "history" to address first.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-rugby-union-england-fiji-finance-idUKKBN13D1FU

Yeah that is a bit unfair. Maybe World Rugby need to force the host nation to pay, say,  10% of gate receipts to the visiting Union.  More competition is good for the sport, but it can't prosper if all the second two tier countries don't pay the opponents anything at all (which is what that article suggested was policy and that the RFU were being very generous in giving £75k out of £10m)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    exocet said:
    At which point the 6N folds. Financially, dropping out of the 6N would ruin Rugby in Wales / Scotland - they simply wouldn't recover. I'd say a second tier European International Tournament is required to establish itself (teams / standards and money) before promotion/ relegation could be considered. Or go back to an amateur only game?
    I fully appreciate you can't have a reserved slot system - But equally how can you have a 6 nations tournament without Scotland or Wales - I recall Scotland have finished last, not sure if Wales have ?

Awkward one in many ways - Finances, crowd support for say a Georgia or Portugal v 6 nations team inc TV support which will determine ad stream revenue - Yet the game needs to develop and move on

As a matter of interest, we know it is common for the Aussies and NZ in particular to pull promising players from say Samoa, Tonga, Fiji etc - Have any of the 6 nations yet pulled from Portugal, Georgia etc at international level - Not encouraging it, just a thought 
    Portugal are arguably a France B team, half the squad are French players from the 2nd division with Portuguese ancestry. The professional Georgians also play in France as they’re entitled to work in council of Europe member states, it would be straightforward to qualify for the French team under residency but I don’t recall that happening yet
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192

Nah, flog it. Better still convert to the London HS2 terminus! 
    Believe it or not I agree with the first bit.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• exocet said:
    I fully appreciate you can't have a reserved slot system - But equally how can you have a 6 nations tournament without Scotland or Wales - I recall Scotland have finished last, not sure if Wales have ?

Awkward one in many ways - Finances, crowd support for say a Georgia or Portugal v 6 nations team inc TV support which will determine ad stream revenue - Yet the game needs to develop and move on

As a matter of interest, we know it is common for the Aussies and NZ in particular to pull promising players from say Samoa, Tonga, Fiji etc - Have any of the 6 nations yet pulled from Portugal, Georgia etc at international level - Not encouraging it, just a thought 
    Wales have finished last quite a few times in 5 nations, and I’m sure they have in 6 nations as well. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Apparently Shrek has decided that as the Ford/Farrell combo didn’t work…. Ford is getting dropped for the weekend.

*#&*#**&#£ #*@%&£
    Scotland bottom 2015, 2012, 2007, 2004
    France bottom 2013
    Wales bottom 2003
  • Apparently Shrek has decided that as the Ford/Farrell combo didn’t work…. Ford is getting dropped for the weekend.

*#&*#**&#£ #*@%&£
    Well, according to the rumours, you can't drop the man who makes the selection decisions for you ;)
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Apparently Shrek has decided that as the Ford/Farrell combo didn’t work…. Ford is getting dropped for the weekend.

*#&*#**&#£ #*@%&£
    Unbelievable. I was going to write some more but I can't put together the words that properly reflect my astonishment, disbelief and outrage.

Unbelievable. 
    Blimey. It’s all in the times this morning.

Ford dropped
    Smith replaces Steward 
    Erasmus accuses French of ‘simulation’
    Eddie Jones confirmed by Sydney Herald for zoom interview with Japan
    Irelands calm press conference after confirming team a day early 
    wales options at no 8
    Start of the premiership on Friday 

Anyone would think it’s a slow football news day!
    All that licking of Farrell’s arse never seems to get Ford anywhere
  • England are like Ireland when a Farell says to do something ...they do it.  Hes a malign influence within the England squad.
  • tbmtbm Frets: 541
    My wife reminded me  last Sunday that over a year ago we bought tickets to see the Lion King in Dublin with the kids. It's on  Saturday night at 7.30. I mean, I hate musicals with a raw passion anyway, but f*ck me..... 

I'm hoping for a 6Ns last 4. Good odds I'd say. Ire v NZ and Fra v Boks a toss of the coin maybe slightly favouring the Europeans, Wales should beat the Pumas. Eng v Fiji? I dunno. I really don't!  

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.