Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Rugby Union Thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 144
    Thank you sir. There’s nothing solid there but it’sgood to see the intention is there. 

On another note, I’m pretty disappointed to see Borthwick using Farrell at 12. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    edited October 2023
    A predictable lack of imagination, he’s simultaneously our best player, too good to drop, but also not good enough to play at 10. Ford-Farrell hasn’t worked very well for the last 6 years, but maybe this time eh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Commiserations to Jonny Wilkinson for losing his record to a thug whose England career should have ended long ago. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Bloody hell. Crap box kick and a third try for Samoa.

This is going to take some effort to come back from. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Yes, the England of the warm up matches is back. 
    edited October 2023
    Eng messy as hell. 

Annulling the third Samoa try seems harsh… the footage of the supposed knock-on looked far from conclusive to me.  
  • I know it's pointless asking, but at what point is Borthwick going to admit that his first-choice team is actually pretty shit and his preferred tactics don't work?

It's all being torn to pieces by a team who've had a fraction of the games since the last World Cup. If he's not embarrassed, I don't know what would do it.
    <space for hire>
  • Borthwick doesnt learn much does he.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    not a great day for wales nor england to be fair.
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:
    Commiserations to Jonny Wilkinson for losing his record to a thug whose England career should have ended long ago. 
    Agree and not half the player his dad was
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Faz should have come off, not Ford.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023
    Farrell can't be subbed, the entire structure of the game would disintegrate. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023
    And now he buggers up a penalty by taking too long.

Half-brained half back. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1786
    Welcome back Farrell
    Fuck me. What a cock up.
    edited October 2023
    Terrible. 

There appears to be inconsistency with the reffing in the scrums. There have been quite a few cases where Eng’s scrum dominates and advances, where most refs would give advantage. Brace hasn’t given one. The local commentators here in Arg are saying the same thing. 

(In no way does this excuse or explain Eng’s pathetic performance!! Unless there’s a significant change we won’t win the QF)
    Fiji must be crapping themselves. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • England had no right winning that, and they only did because they were playing against 14 men.

I was actually rooting for Samoa there, and I'll probably be doing the same for Fiji in the quarters.
    <space for hire>
    Farrell should never play (centre) again.

Delete as applicable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Wow, Ireland are so tight it’s amazing. Well-oiled, well-trained but adaptable, confident in their abilities. Amazing. 
  • Wait, what?

Two tries in two minutes. Surely not?
    <space for hire>
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Eng v Sam was a good game for the neutral but a horror-show for Eng fans. Gawd...

Ireland look imperious with iron defence but the Scots disappointed.
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 118
    Yeah Ireland were showing why they're number 1. The defense for those 17 phases in first half was like a brick wall.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Rkphilpot said:
    Yeah Ireland were showing why they're number 1. The defense for those 17 phases in first half was like a brick wall.
    I still worry that against SA/NZ in a final* they might suddenly feel the pressure. 

* I can’t remember the permutations so I’m not sure who they’d theoretically meet in a final. I think these three are the teams to beat. France is close but I think they’re half a step behind the rest. 
  • Well I think my concerns over whether Ireland had already played their final against SA were for nought.

I really can't believe England though. The last match of the pool stage and we still can't work out who our best fly half or scrum half is. Spoiler alert: it's not Farrell or Mitchell but might have been the guy who started at 10 and who finished at 9 or the other guy who came on moonlighting as fullback and/ or winger that sometimes gets a run out at 10.

That was so bad it made my eyes hurt.
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
    It seems thst most people's preferred options for the backs are not those of Borthwick.

What’s being overlooked is that Danny Care, about to draw his pension, is our best 9 in the squad. The likes of Dan Robson have been passed by for reasons not obvious to many of us.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited October 2023
    scrumhalf said:
    It seems thst most people's preferred options for the backs are not those of Borthwick.

What’s being overlooked is that Danny Care, about to draw his pension, is our best 9 in the squad. The likes of Dan Robson have been passed by for reasons not obvious to many of us.
    Or, perhaps, that the oldest guy in the squad was still faster than any of the trundling starting XV.

I mean, the first try came from a lock on the wing, and he didn't look particularly out of place. FFS.
    <space for hire>
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    scrumhalf said:

Or, perhaps, that the oldest guy in the squad was still faster than any of the trundling starting XV.

I mean, the first try came from a lock on the wing, and he didn't look particularly out of place. FFS.
    They do look slow to be honest, which is why I'd play Marcus Smith every game, just to shame the others into breaking into a trot occasionally. 

And yes, Danny Care always looks dangerous, even behind a shit pack. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457

It occurs to me the difference between the very good sides in this WC and the others is that the runners SPRINt onto the ball and into attack, wheras the others especially England “run” and then are surprised when the 15 man line of defence tackles them 

Ireland yesterdays their speed of individuals in attack is soo much faster than England and their ilk who seem to almost jog onto the ball. Wales are miles better when they do this but don’t always, Samoa yesterday were amazing when they did this