Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Rugby Union Thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    scrumhalf said:

What’s being overlooked is that Danny Care, about to draw his pension, is our best 9 in the squad. 

Yes, we thought precisely this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    sev112 said:

It occurs to me the difference between the very good sides in this WC and the others is that the runners SPRINt onto the ball and into attack, wheras the others especially England “run” and then are surprised when the 15 man line of defence tackles them 

Ireland yesterdays their speed of individuals in attack is soo much faster than England and their ilk who seem to almost jog onto the ball. Wales are miles better when they do this but don’t always, Samoa yesterday were amazing when they did this
    You're not wrong, but it's more about timing and communication than about effort or individual pace. 

You can't sprint onto a popped pass if the scrum half has to fight for it in the ruck and ends up putting it behind you. 

It's very hard to get momentum from the backs without top class recycling from the forwards. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112 said:

It occurs to me the difference between the very good sides in this WC and the others is that the runners SPRINt onto the ball and into attack, wheras the others especially England “run” and then are surprised when the 15 man line of defence tackles them 
    The biggest thing I've noticed about England is that, about 70% of the time, they stop before contact. That's as well as just not taking the ball at speed (which is the bare minimum you'd expect from professional players), and the complete lack of tactical awareness with decoy runners etc.

I've seen better rugby played by sixth form teams. There's just no ambition or desire - they're playing negatively, as though they're just trying not to lose.

Now, you could forgive this given that there's a new coach and a new setup...if it was a new team completely unfamiliar with each other. However, Borthwick is basically playing the exact same team Eddie Jones failed with - most of them have had years playing together at international level. He's even trying to play the same daft experiments - Farrell at 12 doesn't work, especially with Tuilagi at 13, because that completely nullifies the best parts of both of their games; it was an interesting gimmick to begin with, because it foxed teams who weren't expecting it. Once every other team in the world figured it out, and exploited the gaping hole caused by a lack of mass at 12, it should've been chucked in the bin.

I guess the problem is that Ford is a better fly half than Farrell, and Farrell can't be dropped because that's the rule.

The end result is that Borthwick is failing in exactly the same way as Jones did. We scraped through the easiest pool (the points totals don't come close to showing what really happened in each of the games), and if Fiji don't dump us out of the tournament it's going to be a cricket score in the semis.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 505
    Things that piss me off about rugby. One. Endless scrum resets wasting huge amounts of playing time. Yep, we had that again for about the first time in the tournament.  Two. People (in fairness mostly Andy "sideways glance, look up, look down, sideways glance, rinse, repeat" Farrell) taking f**king forever to kick at goal. How I chuckled when the timer hit zero.  
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    HerrMetal said:
    Things that piss me off about rugby. One. Endless scrum resets wasting huge amounts of playing time. Yep, we had that again for about the first time in the tournament.  Two. People (in fairness mostly Andy "sideways glance, look up, look down, sideways glance, rinse, repeat" Farrell) taking f**king forever to kick at goal. How I chuckled when the timer hit zero.  
    100% agree and that clock is still ticking down during the scrum resets and the kicks at goal

Simple analysis- 8 kicks at goals in a match, which is perfectly acceptable, and you have spent 10% of the game with 29 players just hanging around doing nothing - The time spent with the ball in play is far to low IMO - Maybe I’m considered a peasant, to many, as I prefer to watch Rugby League , certainly at club level, but the ball is in play far more than in Union 

Farrell has always taken to long IMO with his extended preparation before taking his kicks - I find him boring to watch- IMO a #10 should have flair, vision and skill - in comparison to the likes of B Barrett he is well behind- Very bland as a player- I think if it wasn’t for his kicking he’d have been dropped a long time ago 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    For years the England game has been based on taking the ball into contact and recycling it. Again, and again. Offloading ranked just behind dropping your shorts during the national anthem.

It's dull, and it's not attracting new players to the game or new spectators.

Why bother to pick wingers? Pick a couple of props at 11 and 14 and try and rumble over from 22 metres out.

The domestic game us about to crash. There isn't enough (legitimate) money to pay players what they think they are worth. The RFU are about to bugger up the Prem 2/Championship reform.

How many top domestic teams play exciting rugby? 
  • The sad thing is in 4 years time who do you think Borthwick will be picking.  Faz for definnite. Maybe Cipriani was right and Faz seems in control of the England team.  Fellow players have called him a coach.  He clearly isnt a very good one.  England need to move on from him and the older set after this world cup but I wouldnt be surprised to see all the usual names on the new 20 joint contracts.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Offset said:
    scrumhalf said:

What’s being overlooked is that Danny Care, about to draw his pension, is our best 9 in the squad. 

Yes, we thought precisely this.

The problem is that his game time has to be managed because of his age. If he starts and plays 60 minutes he will probably be wrecked for the next match.  I can understand Borthwick using him off the bench.

I can't understand him continuing to pick Farrell at 12 though.  It completely negates Tuilagi.  It also seems to inhibit whoever is playing 10, whether that's Ford or Smith.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    20 contracts : I couldn’t even get to 10 that (a) deserve it through performance at international level, and (b) will be around in 4 years time (both criteria compulsory)

Genge
    George (captain)
    Chessum
    Earl
    Ludlum
    Willis
    Mercer
    no scrum half
    Smith
    no centres
    no wingers
    Steward

Note no Sinckler or Itoje, the latter of who has not performed for the past 2 to 3 years. Arundel etc have not done enough yet to deserve a contract

• What I couldn’t work out (yeah Chinese writing too) is is why we didn’t just draw a line under Jones, imagine the way you’d want to play in 2027 and pick a squad that you hoped were capable of that and might get us there. Wright this one off and look forward. 

There didn’t need to be this zombie apocalypse of reliance on players past their play by date before the last World Cup. Had Borthwick done that he would have been forgiven much, but it looks like he’s morphing into how he was as captain of England. Dogged, dyed in the wool and incapable of seeing how to improve a failing side. 

"I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Good match this afternoon, between Japan and Argentina.  Japan were getting back into it until the last 20 minutes.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Nitefly said:
    Good match this afternoon, between Japan and Argentina.  Japan were getting back into it until the last 20 minutes.

Surely time that Japan were part of the 'Championship' every year now - But is it with NZ, SA, Aussies and Argies ?

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1786
    Claire Thomas' commentary is fucking woeful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    We were just debating that point.  Just had 4 different “superlatives” in a minute .

my wife said she liked it, I said I’d like commentators to tell us what is happening in rucks 
    edited October 2023
    "Monochrome marauders, hewn from granite, going straight up the guts". She's an English literature graduate that mastered in Mills and Boon.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    We’ve both agreed that she was much better in the last 10 mins, giving useful factual info on Fijis scrums and line outs 
    edited October 2023
    Blimey, are Fiji doing this to piss off the Aussies by staging a late comeback?

EDIT. They score as I typed the above. 
    Portugal managed by Nosferatu
    Portugallllllllllllllll
    Schnozz said:
    Portugal managed by Nosferatu
    I thought it was Peter Stringer. 

What a game, well done Portugal. 
    I think it’s Patrice Lagisquet, the 1980s French back
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257

Heh. 
    IMG_2844.jpeg 187.4K
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 118
    Cipriani has a book out now, I expect that may make interesting reading.
  • New Rankings are interesting, Georgia up 1 place after losing, Portugal same place after beating team 8 places above?
    Samoa down 2 places after narrow loss to team 6 places above them. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    sev112 said:
    We were just debating that point.  Just had 4 different “superlatives” in a minute .

my wife said she liked it, I said I’d like commentators to tell us what is happening in rucks 

'Close but no coconut'.

I mean....seriously?!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Is some of the dumb commentating aimed at the audience?

My mum has been watching some of the matches but has no clue what is going on.  It's on ITV in prime time and there will be people like my mum watching who have no clue what a ruck is, or a maul, or the difference between them.  Maybe they have gone the dumbed down commentary route deliberately.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    crunchman said:

My mum has been watching some of the matches but has no clue what is going on.  It's on ITV in prime time and there will be people like my mum watching who have no clue what a ruck is, or a maul, or the difference between them.  Maybe they have gone the dumbed down commentary route deliberately.
    I think that's the case; in one of the early matches I remember them explaining about touch kicks from their own 22 etc.
    drofluf said:
    crunchman said:

I think that's the case; in one of the early matches I remember them explaining about touch kicks from their own 22 etc.

The NFL has two different commentaries on the Superbowl.  I remember watching it on Sky Sports one year because the BBC had the dumbed down version aimed at an international audience with no clue about the game.  Thankfully Sky had the usual commentary.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    It's not remotely as dumb as the Americans commentating on rugby.

You'll find it on youtube - it's hilarious!
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    It's not remotely as dumb as the Americans commentating on rugby.

You'll find it on youtube - it's hilarious!
    Or this piece where they call Tom Youngs a prostitute https://www.indy100.com/news/insider-news-tom-youngs-prostitute-hooker-b1867092