Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The Rugby Union Thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The Rugby Union Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Stay classy Boks….

Their attitude is so bad that I'd actually support Scotland against them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ewal said:
    sev112 said:
    ewal said:
    The lopsided draw looking dafter by the day - two of SA, Ireland, France and NZ going home at quarter finals stage.

Pointless going on about it... hey-ho...
    I don’t get this
    the draw is such that the winner needs to beat the other big teams, all this draw does is mean they have to beat one of them in the 1/4s rather than the semi.
    And if any of that “big 4” can’t beat ENG WAL FIJ ARG then they don’t really deserve to be in the final or even semi.
    Because it's also about how far you go in the competition and who you've had to play to get there.

England came in to the competition on poor form, but have had the opportunity to ease themselves in to it nicely against (very much relatively speaking) easier sides. While on other side of the draw, we've already two games that could've been the final.

I'm just a bitter Scot. Our best ever team in the professional era is not going to make it out the group stages, and will probably suffer as a result next time around.

The odds are always stacked the wrong way. Should be used to it by now.

On the plus side, you'll be able to enjoy watching England get buttf@cked in the quarter finals by Fiji.
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    That might be less painful than trying to tackle them
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • With 4 pools and about 4 contenders generally you get one in each pool, now the gap has closed between top and bottom of tier one you are gonna have more good teams in one pool. Happened in 2015 with Wales England and Australia in same pool. 
    Point is if you have aspirations of winning RWC sooner or later you have to face the big boys. 
    Scotland could beat Ireland and that will throw that pool wide open. 
    Whether they will is another matter, but they certainly have the ability to win.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I do wonder whether Ireland have already played their final, rather like England vs. NZ in the semis last time around. I do hope not but I feel that the intensity that Ireland brought to the SA match will be hard for them to match again so soon so there may be a glimmer of hope there for Scotland.

I'd love to see another northern hemisphere team win it, of the two probables, I'd prefer Ireland but would be happy for France to claim it. Another factor is Wales - a win against Argentina and they're in the semis; they shouldn't progress further than that but you never can tell. It's certainly interesting...
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    I do wonder whether Ireland have already played their final, rather like England vs. NZ in the semis last time around. I do hope not but I feel that the intensity that Ireland brought to the SA match will be hard for them to match again so soon so there may be a glimmer of hope there for Scotland.

It wouldn’t look too hopeful for me for Scotland. Ireland have been hitting the levels they are at for a few years now. Isolated brilliant performances have become consistent high standards. Their results remind me a little of the England 99-03 side but are probably better. They have multiple 6 nations titles and away series wins in the south. I seriously think they are the side to beat. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Open_G said:

It wouldn’t look too hopeful for me for Scotland. Ireland have been hitting the levels they are at for a few years now. Isolated brilliant performances have become consistent high standards. Their results remind me a little of the England 99-03 side but are probably better. They have multiple 6 nations titles and away series wins in the south. I seriously think they are the side to beat. 
    I dunno...I'm not saying this because I'm English, but I don't get the same sense of complete dominance about the current Irish side as I did with the England's 2003 team. That's not to say that I don't think they'll win, but that's as much to do with the fact that all of the southern hemisphere teams are very weak compared to back then - even SA aren't to be feared so much as they were with the strange vulnerabilities that they've developed.

And, of course, then there's England - who have the irritating habit of getting far further in the WC than they have any right to, and playing Fiji then France/SA...there's actually a chance of getting to the final when it really, really shouldn't be possible with this team, especially if SA pull something out of the bag against France.

Then again, there's an equal chance that we'll get trounced by Fiji. Life in the Borthwick era is weird.
    <space for hire>
  • tbmtbm Frets: 541
    Jaysus, NZ are destroying a decent Italy side. They look like they’re out to prove a point. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    They play some lovely stuff. To think some pundits were suggesting an upset was on.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • camfcamf Frets: 1175
    NZ were very impressive from top to bottom. Great to watch. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Running rugby at its best. Would be happy see them or France win.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    I do wonder whether Ireland have already played their final, rather like England vs. NZ in the semis last time around. I do hope not but I feel that the intensity that Ireland brought to the SA match will be hard for them to match again so soon so there may be a glimmer of hope there for Scotland.

I'd love to see another northern hemisphere team win it, of the two probables, I'd prefer Ireland but would be happy for France to claim it. Another factor is Wales - a win against Argentina and they're in the semis; they shouldn't progress further than that but you never can tell. It's certainly interesting...
    My thoughts as well
  • There is still a possibility that last 4 could be from NH, doubt it very much but it’s there. Be nice if it’s a NH final, but I think S.A. will be in it. 
    It probably is the most open QFs to final ever at this stage
    FRA NZ SAf IRE FIJ WAL ENG - you could see any 2 of that 7 getting to the final when we know that when the pressure comes on big team don’t perform in this tournament when it matter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited September 2023
    Bloody hell, Georgia have properly shown up today. Absolutely playing out of their skins, and banging penalties over from both sides of the half-way line...wow.
    <space for hire>
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    ... and then ... ;) 
    sev112 said:
    FRA NZ SAf IRE FIJ WAL ENG - you could see any 2 of that 7 getting to the final when we know that when the pressure comes on big team don’t perform in this tournament when it matter
    Are there only seven teams in the quarter finals this tournament? Eng got a bye to the semi or something?
    Liked Romania's anthem. Notably in a minor key.
  • Commentator - he opens those long levers....
    Me - they're called legs!
    Commentators always call Blair's legs long levers...
    Main outcome of this evening is Darcy will get the start against Ireland. He probably would've anyway. Hamish Watson did well early on, but can't see him displacing Darge.

Ian McGeechan disagrees... Suppose he knows his rugby.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    Portugal are a joy to watch. Skill and attacking intent from 1 - 15. Unfortunately those same skills deserted them on more than one occasion when close to line but even so, mightily impressive. 
    C'mon pundits I know Ireland are obviously odds on favourites next week, but please stop talking as if the quarter final line-ups have already been finalised...

If only the Ireland team would similarly write off Scotland's chances, but sadly they're too professional for that.
    ewal said:
    sev112 said:
    Are there only seven teams in the quarter finals this tournament? Eng got a bye to the semi or something?
    No I just didn’t think Japan or ARG are playing well enough to get through to semi,  it the others could

Wow, SAF Tonga ref has completely new Yellow Card protocol - “I don’t think it’s a yellow card” - well, as per all the others, it is head to head, it has nothing to do with whether it is high degre of danger or not.  head to head by tackler is yellow card, and then and only then does not hugh degree of danger / mitigation come in for the Red Card consideration

they are astonishingly inconsistent. 
    And now Etzebeh, exactky the same as Curry, payer jumps and lends and gets hit in the face head to head, but not even a yellow card,  the nonsense goes on 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Who was the ref?
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    edited October 2023
    Who was the ref?
    Luke Pearce. Personally it felt like a good call at that instant. The offending player was stationary ‘ falling on one knee when the head contact was made. Strictly speaking though - inconsistent decision to have made.

I’ve also grown weary of TMO interventions in this WC and would be happy to see them used only if requested to do so  by the ref. In the Portugal v Aus match yesterday, Portugal were never going to win but they appeared to score in 2nd half after a lot of good work to get themselves into a scoring position. A driving maul went over, Australia penalised for infringing (Yellow given) - try awarded to hooker - every neutral fan was happy. The TMO interjected - “ball was clearly dropped before being touched down” - none of the replayed angles clearly showed the ball being dropped…perhaps my eyes are duff but eventually ref reversed decision and to rub salt into the wounds, declared that a penalty try could not be awarded either, because it wasn’t beyond doubt that the carded players actions prevented the score. That felt wrong to me. My views were not at all influenced by the presence of the excellent Portuguese hooker in my fantasy team
  • PjonPjon Frets: 203
    Talking of high tackles, did anyone else notice the apparent high tackle by an Ozzie prop, iirc? There was a TMO check, the cameras focussed on the prop, with a quick replay of what looked like an shoulder driven upwards, and then the ref started looking at Kerevi's forearm 'smash'. Because of lack of replays, I'm wondering whether Australia should have had two players sent off simultaneously. (Although, I'm not sure that Kerevi warranted a yellow. It looked like a clumsy attempt at a fend, not an actual forearm smash to me.)
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 144
    TJT1979 said:
    Agreed. 

I still don’t know why they do the draw so far ahead though. I’d have thought a year would plenty to organise whatever it is that depends on what the groups were. 

They’ve changed that for next time. It’s going to be much closer to the event.
    Do you have a link to something on that? I’d like to read further. Cheers