Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    How bad do you reckon the collapse will be?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • camfcamf Frets: 1175
    Bad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Why was Buttler trying to turn that ball to the leg side.  I don't think he's a test batsman in English conditions.  Might be ok in places like India where it doesn't move much for the quick bowlers.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 21788
    How many overs will Broad bowl tonight then? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 423
    tFB Trader
    England 4 down at the close, heavy roller overnight, Stokes/Bairstow/Ali to make hay tomorrow. Gives Broad/Woakes an extra half day to rest, England to lead by 150. Burns to carry his bat ending up on 180+

HA - that's the plan. More likely to be 6 down by the close. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited August 2019
    Isa Guha on the Sky commentary... 3

Well done Rory Burns. He looks like a 1930s cad with that haircut and sticks his arse out when he bats but he does look like he has a nice firm arse so all good. Keep going lad, get them runs in.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Would be great to have a healthy 1st innings lead - Lyon looks to be a threat
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    Something about Lyon I just find annoying - even without the Gary.
    Something about Lyon I just find annoying - even without the Gary.
    The Aussie chatter picked up on the stump mics when “Garry” bowls is so annoying,

“Aaah well bowled Garry” 

No it wasn't he's 0-79 heading towards his century of runs leaked. I hope Garry gets some hand shakes when we finally smash him for 100-0. He's getting turn but Rory Burns has picked him and neutralised him.

Get through the first hour this morning and let's push onto 100+ lead hopefully.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited August 2019 tFB Trader
    Great to see Burns get a ton - Most of us had him as a no no for the team - So let's hope he builds on this with renewed confidence

His haircut reminds me a bit of 'Arfer' in Peaky Blinders
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    Burns has played a blinder here. I bet the Aussies wish they'd picked Mitchell Marsh now. They really do have no back-up bowling at all to give the seamers a rest. (Though I'm surprised Smith hasn't had an over or two.)
    No it wasn't he's 0-79 heading towards his century of runs leaked. I hope Garry gets some hand shakes when we finally smash him for 100-0. He's getting turn but Rory Burns has picked him and neutralised him.

Apart from that LBW decision that wasn't given when Burns was on 21. 

Scoring a debut century hasn't been a problem for many openers in recent years. Lyth did it, Sam Robson did, even Joe Root did before succumbing to failure at the top of the order. Compton and Jennings both had more than one... so the rush to say that England have sorted out the opening pair is somewhat premature to my mind. Burns's ton is only the start. If he doesn't push on, we're back to square one (or the likely talk of Sibley or Zak Crawley to come into the side). 

edited August 2019

Scoring a debut century hasn't been a problem for many openers in recent years. Lyth did it, Sam Robson did, even Joe Root did before succumbing to failure at the top of the order. Compton and Jennings both had more than one... so the rush to say that England have sorted out the opening pair is somewhat premature to my mind. Burns's ton is only the start. If he doesn't push on, we're back to square one (or the likely talk of Sibley or Zak Crawley to come into the side). 
    What a cheery soul you are  =)

edited August 2019
    Garry strikes! dammit.

Never fear...Moeen Ali strides out to bat with his 12 month batting average of a whopping 16... =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2019
    ...and back to the pavilion Moeen goes. FFS when will they drop this clown? He just lifted his bat and watched it pass through and castle off stump, useless.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Steve Smith's calling the shots in the field and is directing Paine

What a cheery soul you are 

I'll stick to hyperbole about how Burns is now nailed on for the next three years then. 

Stuckfast said:
    Told you we were right to keep faith with Mo! Good knock from Siddle though.
    And now? :D

• shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    Can I put my bails theory here?

I think they are failing to dislodge because even though they have the same weight, size and centre of gravity - the new bails are much heavier in the centre around the axis, due to the electronics and battery for the silly lights.
    That means they have a very different "moment of inertia" - (I'm pretty sure that's the right term - been a long time since A level physics). In effect the central mass pulls them back to the centre point.
    Surely they've had an engineer consult on this?
    I can't be right, can I?
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380

Of course he was a little lucky, had a narrow escape but he wasn't as lucky as Joe Root when the ball clipped the stump with a fair degree of force without dislodging the bail!  Who do you think should open?  IMO, it seems first class cricket isn't producing enough players who are collecting a mass of runs.  I remember looking at the total runs stats from a few years back and it seemed there were a number of a players scoring 1000+ in a season, last couple of years in comparison far fewer players are scoring those kind of runs. 

I have more faith in Rory Burns as an opener than I do with Jason Roy, who's batting seems very monosyllabic and even though he scored 10 runs he could have been out a number of times before his dismissal. 

Am I alone in thinking Bairstow looks a bit of sorts?  It goes without saying that Moeen Ali's been uncertain with the bat for a while now.  I'd like to see Ben Foakes back in the fold at some point in time. 

I don't really care who plays as long as Englands win, somehow, someway.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    Moeen's form has collapsed. We need him to get back to his old form and take a five-fer now.

However, he's shaved his head and he plays better when he's shaggier. Maybe it's his aerodynamics. 
    Woohoo, Warner's gone.

C'mon England!!! 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    Another umpiring howler. 

I've been a cricket fan for a long time but I cannot recall a time where the umpiring has been to such a poor ramshackle amateur and idiotic standard.  
    Of course he was a little lucky, had a narrow escape but he wasn't as lucky as Joe Root when the ball clipped the stump with a fair degree of force without dislodging the bail!  Who do you think should open?  IMO, it seems first class cricket isn't producing enough players who are collecting a mass of runs.  I remember looking at the total runs stats from a few years back and it seemed there were a number of a players scoring 1000+ in a season, last couple of years in comparison far fewer players are scoring those kind of runs. 

I have more faith in Rory Burns as an opener than I do with Jason Roy, who's batting seems very monosyllabic and even though he scored 10 runs he could have been out a number of times before his dismissal. 

Am I alone in thinking Bairstow looks a bit of sorts?  It goes without saying that Moeen Ali's been uncertain with the bat for a while now.  I'd like to see Ben Foakes back in the fold at some point in time. 

Burns capitalised on the luck and I'm glad for his and England's sake that he has scored runs. I'm just saying that some of the articles coming out reviewing his knock saying that he's cracked the opening problem for England is incredibly premature when we've seen other players score centuries and get dumped quickly and when he's opening up with a chap who hasn't yet nailed down his position. 

Partly the problem is that first class cricket isn't structured so that players can produce a mass of runs. When someone was in form in the past, you'd have a clear run of games. Now it's far more patchy. It's been a tough year for batsmen in Div 1, I think only one double ton so far this season. 

Bairstow's a bit like Hick in that his feet aren't great at moving early in his innings. Ends in a bad position and so gets bowled a lot. I think he's safe for now but should he floor a chance or two, miss a stumping perhaps, the pressure will be right back on him. 

I take my hat off to the people who've gone to the game today in fancy dress. Some of them have really gone the extra mile.

I've just seen the 1966 world cup team (complete with a bloke in a Bobby Charlton wig) chase someone dressed as the Jules Rimet trophy and lift him up.

Genius. 
    Another umpiring howler. 

I've been a cricket fan for a long time but I cannot recall a time where the umpiring has been to such a poor ramshackle amateur and idiotic standard.  
    England tour to Pakistan 1987. 

If the umpires get overturned four times in an innings the teams should get an extra review. 
    scrumhalf said:
    Woohoo, Warner's gone.

C'mon England!!! 
    he knew he'd hit that but stood his ground....tosser, it's not like any England player would ever stand in the crease when they know they were out =). Good review and a good Edgbaston send off for the amateur decorator as his run drought continues.