Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    It's going to be compelling viewing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    scrumhalf said:
    It's going to be compelling viewing.
    Yep, I didn't expect much "value" viewing from this Test but it's been really good and the outcome is not certain, so yes, looking forward to tomorrows play. Only 15-20% change of rain before lunch so should get a good day in even if a few showers are around.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    That batting was woeful in the middle order.  The worry is that they don't seem to have it in them mentally to bat properly in a test match - no patience at all.  How many of them got out driving at balls they shouldn't have been driving.

Moeen looks like he has no clue against the short ball.  If he can't cope with Rankin, he'll get eaten alive if they make the mistake of playing him against the Aussies.

edited July 2019
    Well, that didn't last very long, did it?

182 to win, cloudy overhead. This could get very tense. 
    Why is TMS so far behind the action?

Listening to TMS while I work, with Sky on in the other room.  TMS seems to be best part of a minute behind.
    What are you listening on? On DAB I find them to be slightly ahead of Sky. Online commentary is always a bit behind, as is the Sky phone app. 
    Ireland now 24-5.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1506
    This is such a weird game.

Game should be wrapped up by tea easily. Maybe even before then.
    scrumhalf said:
    What are you listening on? On DAB I find them to be slightly ahead of Sky. Online commentary is always a bit behind, as is the Sky phone app. 
    Via BBC website on the PC I'm working on.

Looks like England are redeeming themselves.
    32-7 now.

Could be all over soon, might need extra hlaf-hour before lunch. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    The conditions are pretty much perfect for quick bowling.  The ball's moving all over the place, near enough impossible to see the ball to play shots.  Great execution by Broad and Woakes though. 
    Woakes & Broad loving these conditions, Root doesn't look overly happy though...mind on other things? or embarrassed over the batting performance.

The Ashes squad announced later.

edited July 2019
    Don't know what all the fuss was about.  :)  
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1506
    38 all out...fucking hell.

Lowest Test score since 1955 apparently.
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    crunchman said:
    Well the bowlers are.. we've got some of the best batters but they don't do test cricket. Apart from Leach who'll be dropped. Boycs should give them some of his thoughts!
    I watched the post match interviews with Root & Trevor Bayliss and they were definitely subdued, I guess a win against Ireland isn't a major scalp with what's coming up but they both seemed a little off colour to me.

I watched the post match interviews with Root & Trevor Bayliss and they were definitely subdued, I guess a win against Ireland isn't a major scalp with what's coming up but they both seemed a little off colour to me.
    I think there was a significant element of "if we bat like that against the Aussies we'll be chasing shadows".
    crunchman said:
    Well the bowlers are.. we've got some of the best batters but they don't do test cricket. Apart from Leach who'll be dropped. Boycs should give them some of his thoughts!
    That's what you get when you place your focus on white ball cricket for the last 4 years.

crunchman said:
    The bowlers are good in these conditions against Ireland.  I'm not convinced that they will be against Smith on a good pitch.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    That's what you get when you place your focus on white ball cricket for the last 4 years.
    A friend just told me that isn't this the 3rd or 4th time in the last 3/4 years we have been bowled out in 1 session ????
    Bit worrying that Root is saying that the pitch was sub-standard and that there wasn't a balance between bat and ball.

From what I can see, it was the batting that was sub-standard.  The number of loose shots from the England batsmen, including Root himself, was far too high.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    crunchman said:
    Bit worrying that Root is saying that the pitch was sub-standard and that there wasn't a balance between bat and ball.

From what I can see, it was the batting that was sub-standard.  The number of loose shots from the England batsmen, including Root himself, was far too high.
    Root said the same after the CWC final, he said the pitch was "horrible". His charging down the pitch was horrible! Perhaps he just doesn't like batting at Lords.

Pitches like this make the game far more interesting than the flat ones that they score 600 on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I agree, Ian Ward has suggested The Ashes is going to battle of the bowlers.

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 423
    tFB Trader
    The Aussie batting lineup is just as prone/naive as the England batting.
    The team that bats the best will win the Ashes, because both sets of bowlers are superb. I think it will be similar to the India series last summer, sessions swinging either way, but a closer overall scoreline. 3-2 England.  Can't see there being any draws!

Delighted we won the WC but now I hope the ECB will put the same effort/resources into rebuilding the test team as they did with the OD team. I was dead proud of the England test team from 2010 to 2015. Hard to blame Bayliss as he was bought in to develop the OD team but the test team has been poor for 4 years now. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited July 2019 tFB Trader
    So what is our Ashes team likely to be for the 1st Test  - I said likely not should be

Roy
    Burns
    Denly
    Root
    Stoke
    Bairstow
    Curran
    Woakes
    Broad
    Archer
    Leach

I assume Anderson still not fit - If he is I can see them leaving out Curran - Personally I'd leave out Woakes - maybe tough on him after the WC and yesterday's 6 for 17

Don't think any of us are convinced by Burns + Denly

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 21788
    crunchman said:

The pitch was not-sub standard. London has had some utterly mental climatic conditions over the last few days and cricket has suffered accordingly. The hottest July day on record came with some humidity that hung around. Root might want to observe that England scored 300 during the best day for batting and that Glamorgan down the road to the Oval in the evening, when the humidity crept up and the ball did all sorts, got rolled for 44 in the T20. 

Coming out and saying he has no doubts about the batting and blaming it all on the pitch is fucking laughable when your number 11 has nearly cracked a ton.  

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    Coming out and saying he has no doubts about the batting and blaming it all on the pitch is fucking laughable when your number 11 has nearly cracked a ton.  
    Got to feel sorry for Jack Leach, bats the best out of any of the English batsmen and is rewarded for his great performance by being dropped for the Ashes. 
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 423
    tFB Trader
    Yes feel bad for Leach being dropped from the squad.

To be fair I'd hate to be an England selector this week. Too many options for the bowling, not enough for the batting making it very difficult to pick an 11.

1) Roy
    2) 
    3) 
    4) Root
    5) 
    6) 
    7) 
    8) Curran/Ali
    9) Woakes/Archer
    10) Broad
    11) Anderson

Fill in the gaps! I don't think Archer will play first test, we'll see. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    Still think Roy is too gung ho as an opener but they all are.
    We've seen Stokes play slow and sensible but yeah maybe not his temperament to be 2 or 3.
    Wonky pitches might come in handy if Smith gets set.
    Really looking forward to it.