Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Bairstow, Morgan and Buttler dismissals were shocking. 
    Yes all 3 shots were to egotistical in such circumstances - The run rate was easily achievable - The issue was to stay in and accumulate - Get close then attack if needs be in the last 10/15 overs - I bet if we had accumulated on a 4 or 5 run rate/per over, with wickets to spare, then the Aussies would have felt the pressure
    100% agree. If we all can see it and know it why the hell doesn't someone tell them to wake up? We need Sir Alex Ferguson to give them one of his half time pep talks.
    Not sure they have the technique to deal with short balls without pulling/hooking.  That's why Morgan is no longer in the test team, and Bairstow and Buttler have to be hidden down at 5, 6, 7 in the order.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited June 2019
    A short ball can be safely be left time after time if you can get out the way quick enough. Bowlers soon tire of it. This was their undoing in the Ashes down under a few years ago, I remember seeing Stokes jumping up in the air trying to get his bat on top of the short ball from Mitchell Johnson and getting in all sorts of a pickle as they felt the need to get bat on ball. Just duck it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    A short ball can be safely be left time after time if you can get out the way quick enough. Bowlers soon tire of it. This was their undoing in the Ashes down under a few years ago, I remember seeing Stokes jumping up in the air trying to get his bat on top of the short ball from Mitchell Johnson and getting in all sorts of a pickle as they felt the need to get bat on ball. Just duck it.
    They don't though.  They seem to be compulsive hookers.  Not sure if they are in the Hilditch league (showing my age) but they aren't far short.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Think it was the Bairstow wicket - One of the Aussie commentators showed a close up of the build up to it - Finch had the deep fielder move further round the boundary - Ball was delivered to entice Bairstow and he totally fell into a premeditated trap

I know it is easy to say wow when all goes well, like Morgan's innings a match or two ago - But they need to adapt to conditions and the situation - The run rate in this case, was far more accommodating to  chase down - Just pick them of without taking any risk

The wicket of Vince and you have to accept such good deliveries - But don't gift them your own wicket as per Butler, Morgan and Bairstow

Yet we moan about the run chase and the failing of the top 5-6-7 batsmen - Yet in this instance the bowlers appear to have been let of the hook - Yet they barely tested Finch + Warner - Granted a couple of half chances, but very rarely did we trouble them - Yes we have pace, but at times we don't ask enough questions - To one dimensional - Certainly didn't pitch it up enough

The wicket of Vince and you have to accept such good deliveries - But don't gift them your own wicket as per Butler, Morgan and Bairstow

Vince wasn't blameless.  Yes the ball swung, but he had a gap between bat and pad that you could have driven a double decker through.  He doesn't need to be going for an expansive drive like that second ball.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    The problem is that this sort of gung-ho batting has been successful in two-team ODI series where, if we're bing honest, nobody gives a crap if it goes wrong in one game out of three or four.

This. however, is an entirely different competition and should require a different (or at least adjusted) mindset.

I said it ages ago but there isn't enough variation in our bowling attack, and what we have there isn't performing that well. When did we last consistently keep decent opposition to small totals?
    New Zealand not helping us out.  48 for 4 at just over 3 an over.
    Great fighback by the Kiwis, and they've got an early wicket as well.
    Pakistan are pushing on, could have a game on here

edited June 2019 tFB Trader
    The CWC is starting to come to life now  - That table is starting to compress a bit around positions 4/5/6 and even NZ aren't through yet - So few dead rubber games to come yet - Interesting

Pakistan + Sri Lanka both play before we play India, so possible that we could be down in 6th before the next match - A plus point for us is a better run rate if level on points -
    Good win by Pakistan, that’s how you do it. Puts England under even more pressure.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30192

Lawrence of A-Failure ....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 423
    tFB Trader
    Good win by Pakistan, that’s how you do it. Puts England under even more pressure.
    Yep and Babar is a superb batsman. No shame in losing to Pakistan....Sri Lanka on the other hand. I think England will qualify with 2 more points, on NRR. I’m hoping the sun bakes edgbaston and Durham over the coming days and get some harder batting friendly wickets. Loving the “par” scores of this World Cup but would like to see a couple of high scoring games in England’s final 2 games, seems to be our only chance of winning. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    tFB Trader
    I've cleared my schedule for tomorrow. Competely free day and beer. England to win, Vince to score 150+ and Archer to skittle Australia out for 200.

HA. Wishful thinking. 
    Me too, on hols in Kos but found a way to get TMS on the phone so will be listening ball by ball by the pool in baking heat!
    @RandallFlagg can I ask how you got TMS abroad? I’m abroad for the India game on Sunday....

edited June 2019
    I've cleared my schedule for tomorrow. Competely free day and beer. England to win, Vince to score 150+ and Archer to skittle Australia out for 200.

HA. Wishful thinking. 
    Me too, on hols in Kos but found a way to get TMS on the phone so will be listening ball by ball by the pool in baking heat!
    @RandallFlagg can I ask how you got TMS abroad? I’m abroad for the India game on Sunday....
    I used my work iPhone, I can get TMS on Radio 5 Live Sports Extra via the TuneIn Radio app when using cellular data (4G) but not on local wi-fi. I think my company somehow sets up and locks down some features on our work phones (we cannot save data to iCloud, I can sign in but not access or save data to iCloud from my work iPhone) and the cellular networks thinks I'm in the UK but when on Wi-Fi the apps know I'm outside the UK.

Perhaps some IT wiz can explain it better.

tFB Trader
    ^thanks, I’ll find away. You can normally stream the audio off YouTube. 

Go Rabada
    edited June 2019
    SA look like they are going to help England's cause, cantering to a win over SL barring a batting collapse.

Big day for England on Sunday, I'm priming the BBQ and getting the ciders in.

NZ has Aus in all sorts of a pickle at Lords!

NZ has Aus in all sorts of a pickle at Lords!
    Sme fantastic catches, but NZ fielding in long-sleeved black shirts in this heat.
    NZ taken the foot off the Aussie throat and Aus rebuilding. Game on here.

tFB Trader
    Mmmmm Afghan / Pakistan game was a thriller. Call me sceptical, I wonder if the afghan captain deliberately threw that game.

absolutely inexplicable decision to bowl himself for that over that conceded 18 runs and then to bowl himself again for the final over.

this being the captain who was controversially appointéd on the eve of the tournament. Bonkers. Oh well, England have to win tomorrow now. 

edited June 2019
    Mmmmm Afghan / Pakistan game was a thriller. Call me sceptical, I wonder if the afghan captain deliberately threw that game.

absolutely inexplicable decision to bowl himself for that over that conceded 18 runs and then to bowl himself again for the final over.

this being the captain who was controversially appointéd on the eve of the tournament. Bonkers. Oh well, England have to win tomorrow now. 
    Who knows, with Asian market betting he may have taken a bung to drop the game. Would be a shame if the whiff of corruption was to infest the CWC.

At the other match Aus are choking NZ with both hands and keeping it tight.

tFB Trader
    100%  essential now we beat India - Loose and it is out of our control in that if Pakistan beat Bangladesh, then we are out

Looking forward to it from 10.30 onwards
    I have this ominous feeling that the Aussies are going to win this. Their bowling attack is pretty bloody good.
    edited June 2019
    scrumhalf said:
    I have this ominous feeling that the Aussies are going to win this. Their bowling attack is pretty bloody good.
    Yep, that's been my thought from their first match, Aus look solid and just don't lose the belief that they can win and are always, always aggressively working to win. Look at yesterday's match, NZ had them them at 92-5 at one point but Aus relentlessly rebuild to get a defendable total and then bowl sharply to contain NZ.

If England were 92-5 they would be all worried faces, panic, recklessly slash with the bat and collapse or just fizzle out. It's like England just lose the belief and lack the mental strength to stay calm and get out of those situations. It's only Ben Stokes that has shown that strength and discipline and determination to overcome the situation in this tournament.

it's not batting, bowling or fielding coaching they need, there's more than enough talent in the team to easily win this tournament, it's emotional intelligence, self and situational awareness they need to work at. 

England need to win against India and NZ, then smash through the semis and final, they need to believe it and deliver it and deal with the unexpected situations intelligently such as sudden wicket losses or bowlers being heaved for repeated 6s.

But, Pakistan can't be ruled out, they are unpredictable but have started playing some excellent cricket, If England flop then I could see Pakistan getting to the final.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    Re Afghanistan- my mate is about to take over as Dir of Cricket for them (Andy Moles) and he said that there's a huge ego issue with Gulbadin and a few others.....I think it was arrogance not match fixing!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    tFB Trader

But, Pakistan can't be ruled out, they are unpredictable but have started playing some excellent cricket, If England flop then I could see Pakistan getting to the final.
    I might agree with you on that - Pakistan can morph from brilliance to despair but when they play with that emotion they can be electric - No shortage of skill, it is  a case of which team will turn up 

My worry with England is the bowling attack is to one dimensional - Pace is fine, but I don't think we are clever enough about any variation with in that and adjusting to the needs of the moment in time and conditions - Need to be more 'cunning' at times

Let's see what today brings - I'm in for the long haul today
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    I get the feeling England are going to get a walloping today. India in front of a home crowd are always formidable. 
    edited June 2019
    I get the feeling England are going to get a walloping today. India in front of a home crowd are always formidable. 
    I know, I'm having a medicinal vodka and coke to settle the nerves...been banished to the man cave but watching on the 27" iMac via SkyGo app and got the near field monitors on nice and loud.