Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). The cricket thread - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    I'll be just jazzing and looking to make my 200th MCC appearance (189 now) and also am skippering Duke of Norfolk's XI v MCC on 19th June at Arundel. Also skippering MCC at Lords v MCC YC's in May.

I may turn out for my club but not unless they're desperate! My idea of cricket is sensational grounds, great teas, good company.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    I'll be just jazzing and looking to make my 200th MCC appearance (189 now) and also am skippering Duke of Norfolk's XI v MCC on 19th June at Arundel. Also skippering MCC at Lords v MCC YC's in May.

I may turn out for my club but not unless they're desperate! My idea of cricket is sensational grounds, great teas, good company.
    I recall the days when Arundel was an early visit for a touring side - And I think either Cambridge or Oxford Uni or a combined X1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 10838
    I would point honourable members in the direction of comments made in relatio to the 4th test, 3rd test, 2nd test and first test.

AAAARRRGGGHHHHH
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Gassage said:

Do you get free Arundel tickets for fb members ? :) although might be willing to slum it al Lords if not ;) 

lucky git :)
    I always loved captaining, it just seemed to be perfect cricket, esp on long slow warm sunny days 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 204
    Not sure if this will interest many on here, but South Africa today beat India in the 3rd Test at Newlands in Cape Town to win the series 2-1, after losing the first. I've watched much of it (online here in Germany) and it has been a real exhibition of the Test game. The bowling was generally excellent, the batting perhaps less so with some great exceptions, such as Pant's ton in the 3rd Test and Peterson's 3 fine innings. I'm sorry it's over.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 423
    edited January 2022 tFB Trader
    The SA v IND series was excellent. I do love it when the Indians whinge about the umpiring and DRS system. 

I had tickets for the final/prospered final test match ENG v IND next summer, but it got chang@Gassage ;;; and moved elsewhere, so our tickets are now valid for the south Africa test match instead. Looking forward to it!

I agree with @Gassage - there is something awe inspiring about playing a nice game of cricket at a gorgeous ground.

actually @Gassage you might know the answer to this as it has been a few years since I last played there.

it is claimed (and disputed) to be the birthplace of cricket - it’s a stunning cricket pitch in Hampshire, with a lovely pub on the boundary edge dedicated to cricket and the history of cricket. Full of memorabilia. It is claimed that is where the original rules were written. Played there a few times on the Hampshire club/county scene, but the name escapes me. Begins with an H?
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HerrMetalHerrMetal Frets: 505
    Hambledon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    The second string English attack took 3 for 12 at Hobart, including both Smith and Warner for ducks. Just imagine what the scoreline might have been if Jimmy hadn't been left out. A pitch perfect for him and panic amongst the opposition batsmen.  Instead they picked a mediocre trundler and left Jimmy in the changeroom, giving away 200 runs at least. WTF were they thinking? I reckon Chris Silverwood is Australia's best player.

• Tannin said:
    The second string English attack took 3 for 12 at Hobart, including both Smith and Warner for ducks. Just imagine what the scoreline might have been if Jimmy hadn't been left out. A pitch perfect for him and panic amongst the opposition batsmen.  Instead they picked a mediocre trundler and left Jimmy in the changeroom, giving away 200 runs at least. WTF were they thinking? I reckon Chris Silverwood is Australia's best player.

Harmison mentioned during commentary that Anderson wasn’t fit, it seemed to surprise the other commentators who hadn’t heard that either 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    English Test cricket has been dire for years. As long as Root's "Lessons will be learned" mantra fends off any real action, nothing will change. Getting rid of Silverwood wouldn't magically transform the England Test team but it would be one heck of a start! It's a far cry from the England Test team I watched as a small boy :) 
    188 all out. One bloody eight bloody eight.

That's what the Aussies should have got after being 12-3.

We'll have to improve somewhat to reach the level of "crap". 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Embarrassing. England should just leave the field and take a slow boat home.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Mellish said:
    English Test cricket has been dire for years. As long as Root's "Lessons will be learned" mantra fends off any real action, nothing will change. Getting rid of Silverwood wouldn't magically transform the England Test team but it would be one heck of a start! It's a far cry from the England Test team I watched as a small boy :) 

Crawley seems to have the Boycott knack of running out his partner!
    crunchman said:
    Mellish said:

Crawley seems to have the Boycott knack of running out his partner!
    :). England had the Aussies 12-3. That's about as good as it can get, or that's what I thought. But the Aussies did what we seem incapable of doing: they batted their way out of trouble and went from 12-3 to 303 all out (wasn't it?). 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    The depressing thing about the 188 was how good Billings looked. I’m a Kent fan and don’t rate him as test class, but he was organised, relaxed and positive in defence and attack. If only the rest of our lot had that mindset
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    What's Billings like as a keeper?  He looks better than Buttler but that's not a particularly high bar.  My worry is they will keep him in the side ahead of Foakes and then he will drop a clanger at a key moment.
    I'm also a Kent fan and what may be in Sam's favour is that he has captained Kent. I'm under no illusion that had Foakes been in Oz he might have got the call, but if we're doing succession planning for when Root quits as captain then Sam has to be in with a shout.
    If you guys are up for it, on Freesports later tonight it's Australia v West Indies (Ch64 on Freeview) :) 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    crunchman said:
    What's Billings like as a keeper?  He looks better than Buttler but that's not a particularly high bar.  My worry is they will keep him in the side ahead of Foakes and then he will drop a clanger at a key moment.
    Outstanding athlete, fielder and a good keeper, though doesn’t always keep for Kent as he’s skipper. Keeps in bbl and I wouldn’t worry about him standing up in India if it comes to it
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    Oh dear oh dear.

I suppose, as others have said, the final indignity at least means the ECB can't sweep this under the carpet. But whether Harrison & co will acknowledge that ultimately it's their fault is another matter.

And well bowled, Mark Wood.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    It's no surprise that our coach wasn't named Silverware...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Thank God it's over, that's my thoughts - makes you proud to be British! :) 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Have we won the first test yet?
    Don't worry chaps, nobody in the world can touch us in The Hundred. In much the same way as nobody willingly dives head-first into a pile of elephant poo.

Sadly, getting gubbed down under is no rarity but to have been bowled out twice on successive days in less than a full day's play isn't remotely good enough. Root got a shocker today but the all-round inability to make the connection between needing to not get out and not trying to hit the cover off the ball says it all.

It can't be easy to tour away from home in these times but still, what a load of crap. 
  • Mellish said:
    Thank God it's over, that's my thoughts - makes you proud to be British! :) 
    If it's OK with you the English and Irish can bask in the glory of this team all by themselves...;-)

Recency bias and all that but this must be a strong candidate for worst Ashes series ever. I know they've avoided the whitewash but only by a single wicket. Absolutely abysmal from start to finish. 
    My "proud to be British" was totally facetious. And it's not just down under where we can't win the Ashes. Have a butcher's when we last won it at home. 2001, is that right? :) 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Let's hit the rewind button and introduce a new rule for the 2021-2022 Ashes.

The visiting side gets to bat three times (twice in a row for the second and third digs). We will assume that the visitors' 3rd innings results in a score equal to the average of the first two.

First Test, Brisbane. England win the toss and bat. 
    England: 147, 297, and 222 = 666. Australia: 425 and 241 for 6 on the morning of the 5th day. Australia win by 4 wickets.

Second Test, Adelaide. Australia win the toss and bat.
    Australia: 473 and 230/9d = 703.  England: 236, 192, and 62 for 7 = 704. England throws the bat in the third innings to score a hard-fought win late in the final session of the last day.

Third Test, Melbourne. Australia win the toss and send England in.
    England: 185, 68, and 126 = 379. Australia: 416/8d and 114/2 = 381.  Australia wins by 8 wickets late on the fourth day.

Fourth Test, Sydney. Australia win the toss and bat.
    Australia: 416/8d and 265/6d = 681.England: 294 and 270/9 = 564. (No third innings.)  Draw.

Fifth Test, Hobart. England win the toss and send Australia in.
    Australia: 303 and 155 = 458. England: 188, 124, and 147 = 459/8. England wins by 2 wickets.

Result: 2-2 with one draw. The hosts retain the Ashes.

A rain-affected draw in Sydney, a fairly one-sided match on the MCG, but three close games decided by narrow margins on the last day. 

All in favour?

I've always remembered what a small man (must have been in his 90s  with a Father Christmas white beard) told me at an England v WI game at Lords. He said "England Test players just do enough to avoid the axe". I look at the squad today and I think he had a point. 
    Mellish said:
    I've always remembered what a small man (must have been in his 90s  with a Father Christmas white beard) told me at an England v WI game at Lords. He said "England Test players just do enough to avoid the axe". I look at the squad today and I think he had a point. 
    I remember reading something similar about your average county player decades ago. They do enough to earn a contract for next season, but not a great deal more. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7708
    Mellish said:
    I look at today's Squad and think some of the batters didn't do enough to avoid the axe.