Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Drinking and driving is illegal, apparently.. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Drinking and driving is illegal, apparently..

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    Yeah that's the one. The other day I pulled in to the right hand lane to pass a Bentley that was doing 30 in a 40. I pulled back in to the left hand lane well ahead of it and said "ZOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!" and she asked wtf I was on about. Next thing he blasts down the right hand lane and starts weaving in and out of cars until I see him again at the traffic lights a minute later. Must have cost a fair bit in fuel but at least they were winning the race for a bit eh?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    To @Emp_Fab ;
    I'm sorry you feel victimised .......I do see instances where people have been a bit personal ;I have often criticised your viewpoints because they happen to contradict mine or my political/social viewpoint (that's what makes a discussion ) .We are all entitled to our own perspective thankfully but I have never called you names etc .or simply piled on to disparage/ridicule  you as some have enjoyed doing.
    I have also found some of your comments about topics such as travel/food and culture a bit mis-informed or slightly unworldly but that's your business and hurts nobody so it doesn't deserve spite in return.
    I'm with you up to this point .
    But ; what generates the responses you have sometimes been subjected to,I think, is the slightly schizophrenic nature of some of your posts and follow-ups which are designed to be both provocational and then you become a bit defensive when somebody rises to your bait and contradicts or questions your motive ;
    You are one of the first to stand up and scream that some fairly innocuous newspaper headline has racist overtones or interpret something innocent as offensive and then you come up with some Corkers like hearing German spoken / the streets of Berlin giving you a chilling uneasiness /fear of WW2 and the feeling that the Gestapo are about to pounce from around the corner OR
    the childish snigger behind the hand about a bloke being called Ali Bongo (guffaw,guffaw,funny African name ha ha ) and simultaneously picked on a poor couple of kids little function band being called White Harmony ( obvious Hitler Youth with their white stratocaster ! ) Heaven only knows what you make of those Aryan bastards The Average White Band !
    Haven't we all cooked a fondue,eaten Corn on the cob , prepared a sushi platter etc etc whilst driving type contradictions
    I think this is what provokes people to reciprocate by having a poke and a bit of joshing .....ok the odd comment has been a bit more spiteful but it's not worth quitting over ........I hope.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dominic said:
    I had an airbag go off on my hands ......no de-glove but the tops of my thumbs up to the wrist had the skin taken off with a 2" friction burn on each one .......even that was very painful(as was the smack in the chest from the bag )
    That sounds awful...... I've never heard the expression de-glove and it's throughly unpleasant to consider it. I didn't even know that the 10 - 2 thing wasn't a thing anymore! 

Hope you've recovered. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Dominic said:
    I had an airbag go off on my hands ......no de-glove but the tops of my thumbs up to the wrist had the skin taken off with a 2" friction burn on each one .......even that was very painful(as was the smack in the chest from the bag )
    To be fair, you shouldn't have been nicking it from the car.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Dominic said:
    That sounds awful...... I've never heard the expression de-glove and it's throughly unpleasant to consider it. I didn't even know that the 10 - 2 thing wasn't a thing anymore! 

Hope you've recovered. 
    Totally ,thankyou ......it really wasn't that terrible ,I suspect I was quite lucky .....a bit like two nasty little burns but it was quite a high impact collision and I'm sure the airbag did a lot more good than harm .
    My thumbs were back to normal in 10 days so no big deal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    DefaultM said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I love the hypocrisy in threads like this.  Anything to do with rules or laws and the criticism of them or the way they're applied and there's always a handful of, let's be honest, liars, who will get up on their pedestal of virtue and cast scorn upon the filthy law breaking scum beneath them.

It's a very common, but sad, human trait.  A desperate need to be seen as being better than the rest, to claim the moral high ground.  Probably because the moral high ground is untouchable, it's very very attractive.  You get that, you win, and "winning" is the main goal of all of their social interactions.  

There isn't a driver here who hasn't, at some point, taken a bite of a choccy bar or a sip from a drink whilst at the wheel.  So let's ditch the condescending claims.  Nobody here is a perfect model driver, or anything else.

Did you type this whilst looking in a mirror?
    Are you 9?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    edited October 2023
    Man, I love you @Emp_Fab.  And I think you got a good portion of these dudes pegged.

Fwiw I don’t really trust or feel comfortable riding with drivers who use two hands.  It’s a nervous look.  Also, biomechanically, it really is easier to maneuver with one hand.  I like my left hand at either 11:55 or 6 (I’m left handed).  Never been in an accident, and I came up driving on the mean streets and freeways of metropolitan Southern California.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    When I see Formula 1 drivers steering with one hand while stuffing their faces with burgers and coffee, I'll reconsider my opinion of what I think is safe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    Cranky said:

Never been in an accident, and I came up driving on the mean streets and freeways of metropolitan Southern California.
    How does the saying go?

"Never been in an accident but I've seen plenty"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Sassafras said:
    When I see Formula 1 drivers steering with one hand while stuffing their faces with burgers and coffee, I'll reconsider my opinion of what I think is safe.
    But they have loads of accidents, even when they're not (AFAIK) eating their burgers?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Cranky said:
    DefaultM said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I love the hypocrisy in threads like this.  Anything to do with rules or laws and the criticism of them or the way they're applied and there's always a handful of, let's be honest, liars, who will get up on their pedestal of virtue and cast scorn upon the filthy law breaking scum beneath them.

It's a very common, but sad, human trait.  A desperate need to be seen as being better than the rest, to claim the moral high ground.  Probably because the moral high ground is untouchable, it's very very attractive.  You get that, you win, and "winning" is the main goal of all of their social interactions.  

There isn't a driver here who hasn't, at some point, taken a bite of a choccy bar or a sip from a drink whilst at the wheel.  So let's ditch the condescending claims.  Nobody here is a perfect model driver, or anything else.

Did you type this whilst looking in a mirror?
    Are you 9?
    Are you cranky?
    edited October 2023
    Cranky said:
    Man, I love you @Emp_Fab.  And I think you got a good portion of these dudes pegged.

Fwiw I don’t really trust or feel comfortable riding with drivers who use two hands.  It’s a nervous look.  Also, biomechanically, it really is easier to maneuver with one hand.  I like my left hand at either 11:55 or 6 (I’m left handed).  Never been in an accident, and I came up driving on the mean streets and freeways of metropolitan Southern California.
    The guy says vile things like paedophilia isn't a big deal. When he gets called out on these things he doubles down or plays the victim card and says he's being bullied for just wanting to have an adult discussion.

The funny thing is that after he made those paedo comments, doubled down on them and I lost my temper, I had a conversation with the mods that made me feel regret for losing my temper with the guy. 
    I feel silly about that now because his continuing contributions show there are no misunderstandings, it's all deliberate none stop bullshit.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    @DefaultM - that last comment might well be deemed as a personal attack - maybe edit that a bit before it gets flagged / actioned?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    DefaultM said:

The guy says vile things like paedophilia isn't a big deal. When he gets called out on these things he doubles down or plays the victim card and says he's being bullied for just wanting to have an adult discussion.

The funny thing is that after he made those paedo comments, doubled down on them
    Er.....  what the actual fuck are you talking about ? "Paedophilia isn't a big deal" ??

Are you sure you're taking your meds regularly?  Maybe you need to go back to your doctor, or perhaps school for a few more years because if that's what you took from that thread you clearly have difficulties in basic comprehension.

I'm frankly stunned that you could think that.  I mean...  how...   where did you...  just ..WTF ???
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    TTony said:
    Sassafras said:
    But they have loads of accidents, even when they're not (AFAIK) eating their burgers?
    Yeah, but think how many more they'd have if they were.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Sassafras said:
    I believe Mercedes are asking for that, apparently Hamilton does it better than Verstappen.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    edited October 2023
    @DefaultM - with my admin hat on, you really really need to provide a reference for those accusations. I've searched through the whole site, and I can't find anything remotely supporting your assertions.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited October 2023
    Cranky said:

The streets and the lanes are much wider there, the roads are generally a lot less twisty, and most cars are automatics.  It doesn't rain there very often nor get a lot of snow or ice unless you venture up the mountains.  It's what you are used to of course, but I found it an absolute dawdle to drive there compared with here.  Yes the LA freeways are very wide with many more lanes than British motorways and there is a lot of jinking around between lanes whereby you have to be astute and aware of your surroundings just as much as you have to on British motorways, but awareness has nothing to do with having as full control of your vehicle as possible at all times.  I drive with both hands on the wheel a lot of the time while in urban areas, but at all times (other than gear changes) when I am on a motorway, and most certainly when I'm driving in high winds, heavy rain, or on ice.  I am trained and experienced enough at progressive and high speed pursuit driving that I could probably make you shit yourself within 30 seconds if I chose to.  I just prefer to "look nervous" I suppose.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @DefaultM - with my admin hat on, you really really need to provide a reference for those accusations. I've searched through the whole site, and I can't find anything remotely supporting your assertions.
    I presume he's referring to this thread:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/248155/schofield/p6
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    I use two hands on the wheel and ensure my hands are always set to the correct time. 

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    @DefaultM - with my admin hat on, you really really need to provide a reference for those accusations. I've searched through the whole site, and I can't find anything remotely supporting your assertions.

Specifically:
    @DefaultM - with my admin hat on, you really really need to provide a reference for those accusations. I've searched through the whole site, and I can't find anything remotely supporting your assertion.

We had a conversation about this by PM at the time. You asked me not to share the contents of this conversation so I won't.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Given that the massively-divisive Schofield thread(s) have now been raised, perhaps time to close this one?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833

Having a read back of that thread it's amazing his continued presence here is even up to him.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Given that the massively-divisive Schofield thread(s) have now been raised, perhaps time to close this one?
    I think disinterred might be more appropriate than raised. Given the swerve this thread has taken, you might be right.

• Done.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
This discussion has been closed.