Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Drinking and driving is illegal, apparently.. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Drinking and driving is illegal, apparently..

What's Hot

Comments

• euaneuan Frets: 1051
    Couple of concrete planters. Have the kids paint them. Sorted. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    DefaultM said:
    I’d love to let all the air out of his tyres and call the police or the council, but either they won’t turn up, or they will and I’ll get in trouble for touching his tyres.
    Imagine thinking you’re so important that you can endanger kids and cause a delay to all these families days, just because what? You don’t want to walk an extra 10 seconds?
    Just get some large stickers with “inconsiderate parking twat endangering children” made and casually stick one to his car every day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Dominic said:
    I ride into London and home again most days on a motorbike from Hertfordshire.
    On the A1 /A1 M and A41 ....there are lots of traffic lights and roundabouts......the joy of a bike is that I stream the traffic often passing lines of 100 cars or more at these junctures .
    I obviously see into the cars as I pass ......at least 25% of people are on the phone .On the way home I get sickened by the 'burning rubber 'stink of weed coming out the window of 1 in 30 cars . WTF.
       I can't think of anything worse than supping a coffee from a polystyrene cup when driving /walking etc .What's the problem with people.........can't they wait 15 minutes for a coffee ;with the plethora of Coffee chains everywhere you are never out of sight of a bloody coffee shop .
    If I want coffee I stop and enjoy a proper coffee ,served in a china cup and enjoy the experience ......take-away coffee isn't for me ,let alone in some awful oversized beaker with a spout.Thankfully I was weaned off my Tommy Tippee baby beaker at the age of 2 years and can't think of anything worse than drinking from one 60 years later.
    This is a needless Americanism .......you don't see people with their baby beakers in Europe (Spain,Italy etc ) where people drink a proper Espresso/Macchiato from a cup.......not gulping some awful 5th rate oversized plastic pint sized beaker of hot milk with a single shot of crap coffee somewhere near the bottom.That's not coffee anyway.
    One of the forum's finest "old man shouts at cloud" posts of recent times - bravo!
    Not really ,
    I don't give a fuck if people are happy to look like adult babies  but I'm a terrible snob about coffee ,I get 2 fuckers a week nearly knock me off my bike whilst on the phone and I really think getting drugged up while driving a car is a wanker thing to do .I am an old man but I would really like to get to be an even older man !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    I love the hypocrisy in threads like this.  Anything to do with rules or laws and the criticism of them or the way they're applied and there's always a handful of, let's be honest, liars, who will get up on their pedestal of virtue and cast scorn upon the filthy law breaking scum beneath them.

It's a very common, but sad, human trait.  A desperate need to be seen as being better than the rest, to claim the moral high ground.  Probably because the moral high ground is untouchable, it's very very attractive.  You get that, you win, and "winning" is the main goal of all of their social interactions.  

There isn't a driver here who hasn't, at some point, taken a bite of a choccy bar or a sip from a drink whilst at the wheel.  So let's ditch the condescending claims.  Nobody here is a perfect model driver, or anything else.

Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited October 2023
    Here we go.  Insult everybody again.  It's YOU on the high horse with that comment, not everybody else's hypocrisy while standing on a pedestal.  I will ask you again.  Have you watched the video in its entirety?  This is nothing to do with taking "a bite of a choccy bar or a sip from a drink whilst at the wheel", it's about the van driver not having either of his hands on the wheel at all while being videod by the police.  Of course most of us have done as you have mentioned, but not many of us would sail down the motorway with a mug in one hand and that arm resting on the door and then take the other hand off the wheel to pick our nose, scratch our face, scratch our balls, or whatever he was doing, especially while there is a cup holder right there on his dash to the right of the steering column.  Do you try to be obnoxious and argumentative or does it just come naturally to you?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    Emp_Fab said:
    I love the hypocrisy in threads like this.  Anything to do with rules or laws and the criticism of them or the way they're applied and there's always a handful of, let's be honest, liars, who will get up on their pedestal of virtue and cast scorn upon the filthy law breaking scum beneath them.

It's a very common, but sad, human trait.  A desperate need to be seen as being better than the rest, to claim the moral high ground.  Probably because the moral high ground is untouchable, it's very very attractive.  You get that, you win, and "winning" is the main goal of all of their social interactions.  

There isn't a driver here who hasn't, at some point, taken a bite of a choccy bar or a sip from a drink whilst at the wheel.  So let's ditch the condescending claims.  Nobody here is a perfect model driver, or anything else.

Did you type this whilst looking in a mirror?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Dominic said:
    Dominic said:
    I ride into London and home again most days on a motorbike from Hertfordshire.
    On the A1 /A1 M and A41 ....there are lots of traffic lights and roundabouts......the joy of a bike is that I stream the traffic often passing lines of 100 cars or more at these junctures .
    I obviously see into the cars as I pass ......at least 25% of people are on the phone .On the way home I get sickened by the 'burning rubber 'stink of weed coming out the window of 1 in 30 cars . WTF.
       I can't think of anything worse than supping a coffee from a polystyrene cup when driving /walking etc .What's the problem with people.........can't they wait 15 minutes for a coffee ;with the plethora of Coffee chains everywhere you are never out of sight of a bloody coffee shop .
    If I want coffee I stop and enjoy a proper coffee ,served in a china cup and enjoy the experience ......take-away coffee isn't for me ,let alone in some awful oversized beaker with a spout.Thankfully I was weaned off my Tommy Tippee baby beaker at the age of 2 years and can't think of anything worse than drinking from one 60 years later.
    This is a needless Americanism .......you don't see people with their baby beakers in Europe (Spain,Italy etc ) where people drink a proper Espresso/Macchiato from a cup.......not gulping some awful 5th rate oversized plastic pint sized beaker of hot milk with a single shot of crap coffee somewhere near the bottom.That's not coffee anyway.
    One of the forum's finest "old man shouts at cloud" posts of recent times - bravo!
    Not really ,
    I don't give a fuck if people are happy to look like adult babies  but I'm a terrible snob about coffee ,I get 2 fuckers a week nearly knock me off my bike whilst on the phone and I really think getting drugged up while driving a car is a wanker thing to do .I am an old man but I would really like to get to be an even older man !
    It was actually meant as a compliment on the nature of your prose, albeit something of a backhanded one :)

As for the weed bit - completely agree - nobody should be drinking or on drugs and driving - it's a serious offense for a reason.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023
    Steady on chaps!  I was referring to the accusations made against me of being a "Brainless twat" and a "Dangerous driver" for saying I often drank coffee or took a bite of a McMuffin whilst driving.  My post above was basically saying "Give over, you lying buggers - nobody is that perfect" (that you drive with your hands at ten-to-two, always follow every detail of the highway code etc).

Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Emp_Fab said:
    Steady on chaps!  I was referring to the accusations made against me of being a "Brainless twat" and a "Dangerous driver" for saying I often drank coffee or took a bite of a McMuffin whilst driving.  My post above was basically saying "Give over, you lying buggers - nobody is that perfect" (that you drive with your hands at ten-to-two, always follow every detail of the highway code etc).

I'm just glad I don't live in Wales so I'm unkiely to meet you coming round a bend on the wrong side of the road while your egg mcmuffin drops in your lap and scalding hot coffee scorches your 'nads.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    I'm sticking with my original assessment based on your opening post.

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    S56035 said:
    Bullying claim within 3 pages.

Page 4. Close enough.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    Emp_Fab said:

Just so you know, ten-to-two is deprecated, and it should be either quarter-past-nine (or quarter-to-three) or twenty-to-four. Because air bags and de-gloving (which is most unpleasant).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Emp_Fab said:

The biggest crime ,of course,being your choice of Vittles 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Snags said:
    Just so you know, ten-to-two is deprecated, and it should be either quarter-past-nine (or quarter-to-three) or twenty-to-four. Because air bags and de-gloving (which is most unpleasant).
    I really wish you hadn't mentioned that....  :#
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Sassafras said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I'm just glad I don't live in Wales so I'm unkiely to meet you coming round a bend on the wrong side of the road while your egg mcmuffin drops in your lap and scalding hot coffee scorches your 'nads.
    Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to jump out of the way these days.
    :D
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I have enjoyed the false equivalency argument of " I often drank coffee or took a bite of a McMuffin whilst driving" with "anyone else has ever sipped anything at the wheel".

Much like when habitual speeders think that if anyone else has ever gone 1mph over they are unfit to comment. Or habitual drunk drivers who find out someone else once had a glass of wine the evening before driving.

Emp - may I suggest the free Coursera "
    Introduction to Logic and Critical Thinking Specialization"? It'll do marvels for your ability to set out a clear, reasoned position for debate, which I am sure will improve your enjoyment of these discussions.

https://www.coursera.org/specializations/logic-critical-thinking-duke
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    Sporky said:
    I have enjoyed the false equivalency argument of " I often drank coffee or took a bite of a McMuffin whilst driving" with "anyone else has ever sipped anything at the wheel".

Much like when habitual speeders think that if anyone else has ever gone 1mph over they are unfit to comment. Or habitual drunk drivers who find out someone else once had a glass of wine the evening before driving.

Emp - may I suggest the free Coursera "Introduction to Logic and Critical Thinking Specialization"? It'll do marvels for your ability to set out a clear, reasoned position for debate, which I am sure will improve your enjoyment of these discussions.

https://www.coursera.org/specializations/logic-critical-thinking-duke
    That's a Mr Spock type of course whereas @Emp_Fab is more of a Captain Kirk.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    p90fool said:
    Sassafras said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to jump out of the way these days.
    :D

Speed limits don't apply to Emp, just like all the other rules.
    I give up.  Every fucking thread I start on here gets scrutinised to the n'th degree for the slightest hint of hypocrisy or inaccuracy.  Then the arseholes all pile on if something is seen as exploitable.  Of course there's an accusation of bullying IF THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

I've never attacked anyone here with a nasty insult yet I'm called a Brainless twat, a troll, an idiot, an attention seeking arsehole and many others.

Once upon a time this place used to be fun - there were decent folk on here.  I've been here since the days of Intermusic, then set up a lifeboat forum when Intermusic suddenly vanished.  I went out of my way to track down and contact as many members as I could and we all lived there while Lee set up this place and we all transitioned over.  I was a moderator too for some time then quit that because of the shit.

I don't know what this place is anymore.  It's clearly somewhere that doesn't want me any longer.  Even as I'm typing this, I know several of you are itching to be the first to make a "flounce" joke.  Crack on.....  That's all that seems to matter here these days, being the first to tear into other members.

I'm leaving you all to it.  Who's going to be the next target for ridicule and abuse?  I've certainly had enough of the juvenile antics.

Maybe things will get better in the future, maybe there's a chance The Fretboard will return to the fun place it was.... once, but I'm not hopeful this pervasive atmosphere of animosity and malevolence is in much danger of changing any time soon.

Go on, make your moronic 'flounce' jokes....

It's what you do best.

A huge thank you however to all the decent people here who've helped me through some awful times in the past.  You know who you all are XX
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    Hey, I called you Captain Kirk! He'd never quit!
    edited October 2023
    Except you started a thread like 2 weeks ago for the sole purpose of taking the piss out of and insulting strangers.
    When it didn't go as planned you started throwing insults around, calling people 'thick as logs' and various other things.

A load of people that would previously stand up for you no longer do, and some of them have actually told you that your behaviour is unacceptable. That isn't for no reason.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    The pigs completely missed his toaster in the arm rest. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6730
    edited October 2023
    Highway code says you should drive with both hands on the steering wheel when possible. 

Doesnt say it has to be your hands though.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Oddly the “scrutiny” only appears in a minority of threads, I don’t think it’s endemic to a change in spirit of this place. If only we could see a common factor in those threads….
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Snags said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Well worth pointing this out - was going to do so myself - even though steering wheels are actively designed to discourage 10-to-2 positioning these days (they put little bumps on to encourage your hands down to 9 and 3) people still use it.

To other styles that aren't "airbag safe" are what I call "the squirrel" where people put two hands right at the top of the wheel, horrifically beloved of tiny women in giant 4x4 monstrosities, or the "thumb of power" beloved of reps and boy racers - where one hand firmly grips the wheel like prison soap with the thumb oddly thrust forward under the top edge of the wheel.

There is also the "Won't control vehicle properly because I'm so much of a man" drivers who do everything, steering, parking, negotiating roundabouts, in a jerky, barely in control motion because they refuse to drive with anything but their palm on the bottom of the steering wheel.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • .......where one hand firmly grips the wheel like prison soap with the thumb oddly thrust forward under the top edge of the wheel.

Ive never heard that expression before and its given me a proper lol moment - thank you
    I had an airbag go off on my hands ......no de-glove but the tops of my thumbs up to the wrist had the skin taken off with a 2" friction burn on each one .......even that was very painful(as was the smack in the chest from the bag )
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2023
    I've got a prediction game when I'm driving (some people might call it actually paying attention).
    This morning's... Dropped my son off at school, my wife asked why I was still hanging about and hadn't set off yet even though no traffic.
    I said cos this lady in fronts kid got out a minute ago and she's been pissing about on her phone since. All of a sudden she's going to lunge out in to the road without checking her mirror to see I'm indicating and she won't indicate herself. I'd pull out now and she'd drive right in to the side of me then scream it was my fault.
    Spot on. Then I followed her through 3 junctions she doesn't indicate once, and doesn't even position herself where you can guess where she's going. Absolutely fucking ridiculous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    ^ Situational awareness :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Snags said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Well worth pointing this out - was going to do so myself - even though steering wheels are actively designed to discourage 10-to-2 positioning these days (they put little bumps on to encourage your hands down to 9 and 3) people still use it.

To other styles that aren't "airbag safe" are what I call "the squirrel" where people put two hands right at the top of the wheel, horrifically beloved of tiny women in giant 4x4 monstrosities, or the "thumb of power" beloved of reps and boy racers - where one hand firmly grips the wheel like prison soap with the thumb oddly thrust forward under the top edge of the wheel.

There is also the "Won't control vehicle properly because I'm so much of a man" drivers who do everything, steering, parking, negotiating roundabouts, in a jerky, barely in control motion because they refuse to drive with anything but their palm on the bottom of the steering wheel.
    Stop attacking me!

I do all of those things at times, but I'm mostly I'm a quarter-to-three-ish person (often closer to ten-to-two because of habit).
This discussion has been closed.