Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Drinking and driving is illegal, apparently.. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Drinking and driving is illegal, apparently..

What's Hot

Comments

• Dominic said:
    I really don't understand the people that feel the need to banquet in their car whilst driving or not .....can't think of anything so uncomfortable or a less enjoyable way of eating other than weirdos who walk along whilst forking from a container 
     Whatever next .....A Swiss family holding a full-on Fondue evening complete with gas burner whilst en route from Geneva to Zurich ?

Exactly, hot tubs built into cars are understandable, but eating or drinking a coffee/tea while driving?  That's just plain far out weird.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Whatever next .....A Swiss family holding a full-on Fondue evening complete with gas burner whilst en route from Geneva to Zurich ?

Any decent Swiss family would have the raclette gill on the go...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1252
    We didn't see the bit where he struggled with the red line thingy to get the cellophane off the box of Yorkshire.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Brio said:

Any decent Swiss family would have the raclette gill on the go...
    and the potatoes boiling on the radiator 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • And while we're banning eating... let's ban eating on the cinema.
    Why not, I hate the climb to the roof 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    And while we're banning eating... let's ban eating on the cinema.
    Yet all the Everyman Cinema Group venues have a waiter and a full menu (and cocktails )
    but I find the eponymous 'Spielburger ' a bit cheesy !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    Dominic said:
    I really don't understand the people that feel the need to banquet in their car whilst driving or not .....can't think of anything so uncomfortable or a less enjoyable way of eating other than weirdos who walk along whilst forking from a container 
    Years ago I played with an alto saxophone player who one day switched to the soprano sax, and over the next few months improved amazingly, leaving me in the dust.  Later I asked what made him change to the soprano and find his niche.  He explained that because the soprano was smaller and straight, being a continental truck driver he could practice for a few hours a day by putting the truck on cruise control and steering with his feet while playing.
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    We have loads of single lane roads hereabouts. The majority of people drive carefully and politely on them - not dawdling, but sensible.

A few weeks ago a chap came 'round a blind corner far too fast at me - fortunately I was going slowly enough that I could scoot at bit to the side.

I'd swear he was eating a choc-ice. Until he went into a hedge.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    @Brio @Sassafras I wish there was a way to get footage of your in-car activities.  I can guarantee neither of you have stuck religiously to the law when it comes to snacking or drinking whilst driving.  I can't prove it obviously, I just know it's true.

Incidentally, are you aware that you can all report people for mobile phone use, dangerous driving, tailgating, whatever, if you have dashcam footage that clearly shows the offence and the registration (and ideally the offender's face).  Google Operation Snap.

If I invested in at least two dashcams, I could get hundreds of people a week prosecuted based on the number of offences I witness.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    Wrong Emp. I'm a cyclist. And guess what, I've never run a red light either. Helps I live in a rural area no doubt.
    And if I make a mistake the result would usually be my death not anyone else's.
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    Emp_Fab said:
    @Brio @Sassafras I wish there was a way to get footage of your in-car activities.  I can guarantee neither of you have stuck religiously to the law when it comes to snacking or drinking whilst driving.  I can't prove it obviously, I just know it's true.

Incidentally, are you aware that you can all report people for mobile phone use, dangerous driving, tailgating, whatever, if you have dashcam footage that clearly shows the offence and the registration (and ideally the offender's face).  Google Operation Snap.

If I invested in at least two dashcams, I could get hundreds of people a week prosecuted based on the number of offences I witness.
    Have you lost count? 
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Brio said:
    Wrong Emp. I'm a cyclist.
    In that case, I apologise.  I cannot imagine you've ever caused a car driver to curse you or your chosen method of transportation.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Emp_Fab said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-66966006

Seems rather harsh.  I regularly grab breakfast at McDonald's drive through on my way to work and drink coffee with one hand whilst steering with the other.  Me and pretty much every driver going through every drive-through across the land.
    Honestly, I would have expected you to say the exact opposite.  It seems like precisely the kind of thing you would get all worked up about and say it's endangering people's lives.
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 878
    Emp_Fab said:
    Brio said:
    In that case, I apologise.  I cannot imagine you've ever caused a car driver to curse you or your chosen method of transportation.
    that works both ways ;)
    edited October 2023
    Emp_Fab said:
    Brio said:
    Yep, I do that just by having a bike on the road. No logic needed.
    Did you know that Jimmy Savile was a car lover, as were Hitler and Shipman? Do you feel you should be judged by the actions of your fellow motorists and lumped in with them.
    Anyway back to my post jamming lunch and beers at the local asian buffet. You'll be pleased to know I travelled there by bus.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    edited October 2023
    Emp_Fab said:

You'd be wrong. There's no opportunity to have a picnic on a motorbike.

BTW, your signature seems prophetic:

"Let's hurry to love others, cause they are leaving this world so quickly".

Seems like you're helping people to leave the world even more quickly by your dangerous driving!!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Dominic said:
    I ride into London and home again most days on a motorbike from Hertfordshire.
    On the A1 /A1 M and A41 ....there are lots of traffic lights and roundabouts......the joy of a bike is that I stream the traffic often passing lines of 100 cars or more at these junctures .
    I obviously see into the cars as I pass ......at least 25% of people are on the phone .On the way home I get sickened by the 'burning rubber 'stink of weed coming out the window of 1 in 30 cars . WTF.
       I can't think of anything worse than supping a coffee from a polystyrene cup when driving /walking etc .What's the problem with people.........can't they wait 15 minutes for a coffee ;with the plethora of Coffee chains everywhere you are never out of sight of a bloody coffee shop .
    If I want coffee I stop and enjoy a proper coffee ,served in a china cup and enjoy the experience ......take-away coffee isn't for me ,let alone in some awful oversized beaker with a spout.Thankfully I was weaned off my Tommy Tippee baby beaker at the age of 2 years and can't think of anything worse than drinking from one 60 years later.
    This is a needless Americanism .......you don't see people with their baby beakers in Europe (Spain,Italy etc ) where people drink a proper Espresso/Macchiato from a cup.......not gulping some awful 5th rate oversized plastic pint sized beaker of hot milk with a single shot of crap coffee somewhere near the bottom.That's not coffee anyway.
    One of the forum's finest "old man shouts at cloud" posts of recent times - bravo!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Dominic said:
    On the A1 /A1 M and A41 ....there are lots of traffic lights and roundabouts......the joy of a bike is that I stream the traffic often passing lines of 100 cars or more at these junctures .
    I obviously see into the cars as I pass ......at least 25% of people are on the phone .On the way home I get sickened by the 'burning rubber 'stink of weed coming out the window of 1 in 30 cars . WTF.
       I can't think of anything worse than supping a coffee from a polystyrene cup when driving /walking etc .What's the problem with people.........can't they wait 15 minutes for a coffee ;with the plethora of Coffee chains everywhere you are never out of sight of a bloody coffee shop .
    If I want coffee I stop and enjoy a proper coffee ,served in a china cup and enjoy the experience ......take-away coffee isn't for me ,let alone in some awful oversized beaker with a spout.Thankfully I was weaned off my Tommy Tippee baby beaker at the age of 2 years and can't think of anything worse than drinking from one 60 years later.
    This is a needless Americanism .......you don't see people with their baby beakers in Europe (Spain,Italy etc ) where people drink a proper Espresso/Macchiato from a cup.......not gulping some awful 5th rate oversized plastic pint sized beaker of hot milk with a single shot of crap coffee somewhere near the bottom.That's not coffee anyway.
    One of the forum's finest "old man shouts at cloud" posts of recent times - bravo!

Certainly in the last 10 minutes.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Sassafras said:
    I don't see the problem, I often skin up while steering with one foot.
    You are Anthony H. Wilson and I claim my five Guineas.
    Be seeing you.
    Dominic said:
    "Drinking coffee from a polystyrene cup, you say?  Bloody philistines!"

Distinguished Gentlemans Ride un modo alternativo di stare in sella -  Cravatte Italiane
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Sassafras said:
    There's no opportunity to have a picnic on a motorbike.
    I'm saying nowt....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    I think the cup holder is to keep your drink from spilling while you get to your destination, not so you can have it any time you want while driving with 1 hand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    Philly_Q said:
    Dominic said:
    "Drinking coffee from a polystyrene cup, you say?  Bloody philistines!"

Distinguished Gentlemans Ride un modo alternativo di stare in sella -  Cravatte Italiane
    Looks like a publicity shot for the "Distinguished Hipsters Gentleman's Ride".

Looks like a publicity shot for the "Distinguished Hipsters Gentleman's Ride".

I think it is.  I actually searched for "posh bikers" and ended up with The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride, which I'd never heard of.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    To be fair they do no harm & also raise money for charities, so live & let live  ;)
    edited October 2023
    That uploading footage to get a prosecution thing is a load of bollocks. There's a silly bastard that parks on the keep clear outside the school every single morning and afternoon. I got photos and videos of him doing it, can see everything that you'd need. 
    It's been months and nothings happened, he still does it every day.
    The Headteacher got 2 bollards shaped like kids that said don't park here. The guy parked in between them. The Head stood there one morning and the guy parked next to him. He said "excuse me but you can't park here" and explained why. He said I'll only be a minute and just did it anyway.
    Meanwhile the kids can't see to cross the road, but thats not so bad because all the rest of the cars are at a stand still anyway because they've not room to go round the corner while he's parked there.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    DefaultM said:
    That uploading footage to get a prosecution thing is a load of bollocks. There's a silly bastard that parks on the keep clear outside the school every single morning and afternoon. I got photos and videos of him doing it, can see everything that you'd need. 
    It's been months and nothings happened, he still does it every day.
    The Headteacher got 2 bollards shaped like kids that said don't park here. The guy parked in between them. The Head stood there one morning and the guy parked next to him. He said "excuse me but you can't park here" and explained why. He said I'll only be a minute and just did it anyway.
    Meanwhile the kids can't see to cross the road, but thats not so bad because all the rest of the cars are at a stand still anyway because they've not room to go round the corner while he's parked there.
    Use a key to etch the word 'twat' down the side of his car and slash his tyres.  He'll get the message.
    I’d love to let all the air out of his tyres and call the police or the council, but either they won’t turn up, or they will and I’ll get in trouble for touching his tyres.
    Imagine thinking you’re so important that you can endanger kids and cause a delay to all these families days, just because what? You don’t want to walk an extra 10 seconds?
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    Just go outside and stand in the spot, tell him to jog on if he asks you to move?
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
This discussion has been closed.