Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Drinking and driving is illegal, apparently.. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Drinking and driving is illegal, apparently..

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-66966006

Seems rather harsh.  I regularly grab breakfast at McDonald's drive through on my way to work and drink coffee with one hand whilst steering with the other.  Me and pretty much every driver going through every drive-through across the land.
Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Storm in a tea cup 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    A cup of tea in a mug seems a bit silly. I get through about 2/3 of a pint of water on my morning commute to work though. No plans to stop. Also on longer journeys I sometimes have a cappuccino in one of those travel cardboard cups with a lid, or a bottle of fizzy. And drink is only held for a fleeting moment though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Then you are not in proper control of the vehicle. Imagine if you had to swerve, do an emergency stop etc. Best case - scalded genitals, worse case - you kill someone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Setting aside the fact that he should have both hands on the steering wheel, what's he supposed to do if he needs to change gears?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_Fab said:

Seems rather harsh.  I regularly grab breakfast at McDonald's drive through on my way to work and drink coffee with one hand whilst steering with the other.  Me and pretty much every driver going through every drive-through across the land.
    Which is supplied to you in a mug with a lid so you can sip it - then put it down in a drinks holder in your car.  Should you have to brake hard in an emergency - the drink spillage will be relatively minimal, and you probably will mostly be thinking about stopping the car.

That guy hasn't even troubled to buy himself a drinky cup that you can use properly in the car - if he was seen sipping briefly from one of those, putting it down in the cup holder and then putting his other hand back on the wheel - he wouldn't have been nicked.  If he has to brake suddenly will his mind, even for a second, be about the mug of tea he is about to empty on him, instead of controlling his vehicle to a stop?

It's all about proportion - a slap on the wrist for something like that and releasing the video makes the rest of us think about what we should or shouldn't be doing while driving.

I once had a guy tailgating me in a BMW while unwrapping a subway sandwich on his dash - people do not treat driving like what it  easily can be if you aren't careful, putting massive kinetic energy into two tonnes of metal.

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 833
    Bullying claim within 3 pages.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724

I once had a guy tailgating me in a BMW while unwrapping a subway sandwich on his dash - people do not treat driving like what it  easily can be if you aren't careful, putting massive kinetic energy into two tonnes of metal.

Earlier in the week I was driving behind a woman who was all over the place. Realised she had the sun visor straight down doing mascara in the mirror while she was driving. All it would have taken was me to bump in to the back of her car and it would have impaled her eyeball.
    Got next to her at the traffic lights and gave my horn a little honk so my wife could say that's really dangerous. Silly idea. She heard the horn and assumed someone was telling her the light had changed, started driving in to traffic  :#
    5reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Drink driving isn'topNothingOnTheTele said:
    Setting aside the fact that he should have both hands on the steering wheel, what's he supposed to do if he needs to change gears?

But you can't take your hands off the wheel anyway! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    He was doing fine until the police distracted him.

What, exactly, was the problem?  Driving without a lid?  

Why do they sell to-go beverages?  Why do they put drink holders in vehicles?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 878
    You haven't got the new speed cameras where you live yet then? All the speed cameras where I live have recently been replaced with these:

They work in both directions, and not only catch you for speeding. Apparently they will also get you for eating and drinking at the wheel, or using your phone.

I'm sceptical personally, I can't see how the camera would get triggered just because someone is eating at the wheel. More likely it takes a photograph after the speeding offence is registered, as an additional offence. Not worth the risk anyway however it works.

People who eat and drink at the wheel annoy me. It's normally young women that do it. Get ready, have your breakfast, do your makeup BEFORE you get in the bleeding car. Instead of holding everyone up with your crap driving because you are trying to multi task.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Have those 2 old men replaced speed cams, then?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 847
    Keiko said:
    You haven't got the new speed cameras where you live yet then? All the speed cameras where I live have recently been replaced with these:

They work in both directions, and not only catch you for speeding. Apparently they will also get you for eating and drinking at the wheel, or using your phone.

I'm sceptical personally, I can't see how the camera would get triggered just because someone is eating at the wheel. More likely it takes a photograph after the speeding offence is registered, as an additional offence. Not worth the risk anyway however it works.

People who eat and drink at the wheel annoy me. It's normally young women that do it. Get ready, have your breakfast, do your makeup BEFORE you get in the bleeding car. Instead of holding everyone up with your crap driving because you are trying to multi task.

Wigan Today says "contrary to rumours put about on social media they can’t measure other offences such as using a phone while driving."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • euaneuan Frets: 1051
    DefaultM said:

Earlier in the week I was driving behind a woman who was all over the place. Realised she had the sun visor straight down doing mascara in the mirror while she was driving. All it would have taken was me to bump in to the back of her car and it would have impaled her eyeball.
    Got next to her at the traffic lights and gave my horn a little honk so my wife could say that's really dangerous. Silly idea. She heard the horn and assumed someone was telling her the light had changed, started driving in to traffic  :#
    Last weekend I had a guy sit in front of me for the whole green cycle of a light. That’s when I noticed a balloon inflate. Then slowly deflate. Then inflate again. And witnessed him drive off at the next light and turn across the junction while inhaling the contents of the balloon again. 

At the next set of lights I pulled along side him as I was going straight and he was joining the motorway. I witnessed him reach into the backseat and grab a 1L canister and inflate another balloon. Off he drove onto the motorway huffing the contents again.

I don’t think it was helium 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited October 2023
    The van driver in the video was not fined for drinking his tea or coffee.  He was fined for not being in control of the vehicle.  His right forearm was resting on the door trim and he was holding the mug in that hand.  While doing so he had his left hand off the wheel on more than one occasion doing something up around his face with it.  Unless you are driving a car with disability modifications, you need to have one hand (or preferably both hands) on the steering wheel or you are obviously not in control of the car.  If I'm not mistaken there is an empty plate with an item of cutlery on it across on top of something at the passenger side.  I would guess that there is a strong likelihood he may also have been eating from that plate while driving prior to this, but obviously that's only a suspicion.  Taking your left hand off the wheel to change gear, to adjust your blower speed or temperature, or even lifting a proper "sippy" cup from a holder and taking a slug from it while still watching the road is not in itself an offence.  As long as you have the other hand properly on the steering wheel and your foot ready to brake if necessary you are in control of the vehicle and would normally not attract any attention from the police.  That driver fully deserved the fine, and it should have been higher.  Did you actually watch the video?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I don't see the problem, I often skin up while steering with one foot.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Emp_Fab said:

Well you are a brainless twat for risking peoples lives. As are the others. Hope that helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Emp_Fab said:

That's a bit like saying dangerous driving is fine because I and lots of other people do it regularly.
    Many people drive like wankers, doesn't mean they should.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    Actually, forget it. Just Trollboy spouting shit again.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    I remember once reading a Steve Morse interview where he admitted to playing his guitar whilst driving, steering with his legs!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    I ride into London and home again most days on a motorbike from Hertfordshire.
    On the A1 /A1 M and A41 ....there are lots of traffic lights and roundabouts......the joy of a bike is that I stream the traffic often passing lines of 100 cars or more at these junctures .
    I obviously see into the cars as I pass ......at least 25% of people are on the phone .On the way home I get sickened by the 'burning rubber 'stink of weed coming out the window of 1 in 30 cars . WTF.
       I can't think of anything worse than supping a coffee from a polystyrene cup when driving /walking etc .What's the problem with people.........can't they wait 15 minutes for a coffee ;with the plethora of Coffee chains everywhere you are never out of sight of a bloody coffee shop .
    If I want coffee I stop and enjoy a proper coffee ,served in a china cup and enjoy the experience ......take-away coffee isn't for me ,let alone in some awful oversized beaker with a spout.Thankfully I was weaned off my Tommy Tippee baby beaker at the age of 2 years and can't think of anything worse than drinking from one 60 years later.
    This is a needless Americanism .......you don't see people with their baby beakers in Europe (Spain,Italy etc ) where people drink a proper Espresso/Macchiato from a cup.......not gulping some awful 5th rate oversized plastic pint sized beaker of hot milk with a single shot of crap coffee somewhere near the bottom.That's not coffee anyway.
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    Personally I think the police should, for the protection of other road users, be allowed to shoot a driver like the one in the video and immediately ram his van into the crash barrier using the artic unit.  Hmmm.  Maybe that's a bit extreme.  A taser might be more appropriate  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    BillDL said:
    Personally I think the police should, for the protection of other road users, be allowed to shoot a driver like the one in the video and immediately ram his van into the crash barrier using the artic unit.  Hmmm.  Maybe that's a bit extreme.  A taser might be more appropriate  ;)

Shooting's too good for 'em. Crucify them, I say.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Chicago police shout out Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    I'm surprised that Emp physically drives the car. With his expertise in drone technology I assumed he would have converted the Civic to an autonomous vehicle.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Chicago police shout out Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    YOU FAT PIG!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    Sassafras said:
    BillDL said:

If it helps, I know where there is some sycamore offcut if you need it....
    Chalky said:
    Sassafras said:
    BillDL said:

If it helps, I know where there is some sycamore offcut if you need it....
    Too soon  :'(
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    It's always been technically illegal, I remember a woman in London getting nicked about 15 years ago for taking a swig from a water bottle while stopped at a red light (and for being non-caucasian, obviously).

Years ago in the US a lot of laws were enacted from individual, very specific test cases, which is why it's illegal to eat spaghetti while driving in Montana.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sassafras said:
    BillDL said:

And they have to supply their own wood for their cross, we don't want to chop down trees for these clowns.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    I really don't understand the people that feel the need to banquet in their car whilst driving or not .....can't think of anything so uncomfortable or a less enjoyable way of eating other than weirdos who walk along whilst forking from a container 
     Whatever next .....A Swiss family holding a full-on Fondue evening complete with gas burner whilst en route from Geneva to Zurich ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
This discussion has been closed.