Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Death - is coming. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Death - is coming.

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    edited October 2023
    Emp_Fab said:
    .  Maybe a personal note or video, your wishes for your funeral....  whatever is important to you.  Even if you don't update it in the future, it will still be a lot better than leaving your loved ones guessing at information that you've just taken with you forever.
    Since we're talking about such things, I have to say I've never much liked the whole funeral business. The person's dead - what earthly point, ahem!, is there in dressing up and spending a whole bunch of money and time with a whole bunch of people whose commiserstions will probably depress the crap out of you?

Back in the day when developed countries embraced mythologies as national religions, maybe this ritual performed some positive.finction. Nowadays, it just seems like a morbid and depressing waste of money and time. When my parents, whom I loved, died, I found the funerals gross and inappropriate displays of feelings better kept in quiet, contemplative reflection. If people really wanted to 'celebrate their lives', they could have done so in their hearts without making such a public song and dance about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    bluecat said:
    Perhaps if we wanted longer before we actually die , we should have been trees, then in the afterlife we could be made into Guitars.
    With my luck, I know what reincarnation would have in store for me...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stevebrumstevebrum Frets: 6759
    Timcito said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    .  Maybe a personal note or video, your wishes for your funeral....  whatever is important to you.  Even if you don't update it in the future, it will still be a lot better than leaving your loved ones guessing at information that you've just taken with you forever.
    Since we're talking about such things, I have to say I've never much liked the whole funeral business. The person's dead - what earthly point, ahem!, is there in dressing up and spending a whole bunch of money and time with a whole bunch of people whose commiserstions will probably depress the crap out of you?

Back in the day when developed countries embraced mythologies as national religions, maybe this ritual performed some positive.finction. Nowadays, it just seems like a morbid and depressing waste of money and time. When my parents, whom I loved, died, I found the funerals gross and inappropriate displays of feelings better kept in quiet, contemplative reflection. If people really wanted to 'celebrate their lives', they could have done so in their hearts without making such a public song and dance about it.
    Sadly funerals are now one of the few times we all get together as a family. 

The last one was my uncle’s and it was nice to remember him, catch up with family and we actually had some fun and laughter.

I think it’s dependant on the person/people involved. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1988

We get only one go.  I want to wring out of this life what I can but not in a goal-driven way, more to just enjoy whatever I do, even if it's wasting time chatting shit on a forum.
    This.
    Was thinking something similar this morning as I hung the washing out...took pleasure in the sun shining and the blue sky.

Maybe change your religion and get a few more goes at it.
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 606
    Haven't had time to read the whole thread but, frankly,  is this whole dying thing just some excuse to get out of building the £6k drone boat?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Benm39 said:
    Haven't had time to read the whole thread but, frankly,  is this whole dying thing just some excuse to get out of building the £6k drone boat?
    One of these days we will wake up to the headline "Emp sinks entire Black Sea Fleet, says 'Did it to spite Fretboarders for price of fish supper'..." and we will all feel really silly.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Benm39 said:
    One of these days we will wake up to the headline "Emp sinks entire Black Sea Fleet, says 'Did it to spite Fretboarders for price of fish supper'..." and we will all feel really silly.
    Careful the Pesky Russkies are monitoring all web sites. 

Vladmere: Your name will also go on my list, what is your name ?
    Fretter Wilson : Dont tell em Emp
    Vladmere: Ah Emp 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited October 2023
    I like this quip from Charlie Munger about death:

“All I want to know is where I’m going to die, so I’ll never go there.”

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter