Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Death - is coming. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Death - is coming.

What's Hot

Comments

• BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    edited September 2023
    Quote: House is slowly being de- cluttered, in a sort of slow motion Swedish death cleaning.

I'm there at the moment flogging so much stuff on Reverb and ebay. I've even tucked notes into each guitar case so my brother will know what my stuff is so he can sell it accordingly.
    I've not deleted my browser history yet so I think I don't believe it is going to happen just yet...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dominic said:
    I bought Dr Longevity's Elixir of Life 
    I only look 61 but I'm actually 578 years old .
    I was strumming the Lute before you guys learnt your first E chord on the guitar

How did you cope when you got to the big 5-00?
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    merlin said:
    Dominic said:
    I bought Dr Longevity's Elixir of Life 
    I only look 61 but I'm actually 578 years old .
    I was strumming the Lute before you guys learnt your first E chord on the guitar
    Was it a blue lute? 
    578 is no age. 
    I can't remember ............it was a long time ago !
    Better than everybody here pondering on when they are going to be taking up the Harp
  • I've always been more afraid of living than of death and really resent the fact that I was born at all as life is generally more of a PITA than a pleasure. Contrarily, I'm not too keen on the idea of dying though as I fear it will be neither quick nor painless.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    For me...   for you....   for every living thing on this Earth.

I've been the executor for my late mother and her sister.  Thankfully, both hard the sense to make a will.

In short....   what safety plans do you have in place for the worst-case scenario ?

You're getting carried away with this death thing.  (interesting Freudian slip though).
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thebreeze said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    For me...   for you....   for every living thing on this Earth.

I've been the executor for my late mother and her sister.  Thankfully, both hard the sense to make a will.

In short....   what safety plans do you have in place for the worst-case scenario ?

You're getting carried away with this death thing.  (interesting Freudian slip though).

You may be confusing executor with executioner...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    munckee said:

So if I’m hoping for either to cough then drop dead one day or have a quadrophenia or butch and Sundance middle finger type death.  I quite like Shrews idea but I want to take the shark with me so they find me and a 30 foot great white both dead from a massive rumble!
    Pedant alert 

Jimmy doesn’t actually die in quadrophenia - the opening scene of him walking back from the cliff top is chronologically the last scene :-)
    WTF -  I've watched that film more than ten times and never remember seeing that scene!  That's ruined the whole film for me for ever.   Nice one @DrCornelius !!
  • Don't must humans die a painful death? 

There's murder via shooting stabbing, strangling, torture etc
    Then there's Death via accidents like fire,  car crash,  drowning etc
    Then death via illness with various organ failures 
    Maybe death by pining and love sickness

I guess that accounts for the vast majority 

I estimate only a small % get to go instantly and painlessly or in their sleep without any illness. 

So,  basically most of us have a horrible painful end to it existence t to look forward to. 

Always struck me as bizarre we don't all choose our own ending ahead of all that suffering.  Like a big party pre funeral where you have cocaine and hookers and say goodbye to everyone and then slip off to death peacefully via injection or something. 

No suffering,  everyone gets a chance to say goodbye and grieve,  no elderly population to feed and heat etc. 

Win win. 
    My gran had an odd death, by that estimation (and most, really). She went out, got her garden ready for the winter, came in and made a cup of tea, wrote letters to my mum and her sister, then sat back and peacefully went to the big sleep with a smile on her face.

Complete mystery, and no - there was nothing in the tea, and no toxins...she just knew - but that's the kind of death we should all wish for.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107

When I get more feeble my wife has promised to lovingly and compassionately smother me with a pillow so I can go peacefully without pain. I don't want her to but she's insisting. 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have a feeling the world won't be worth living in within the next 20 years or so anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    The minute you take your first breath you start dying. Some of us take longer to die than others it is just the luck of the draw. It is not dying that wories me, it is the loved ones left behind that concerns me more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • horsehorse Frets: 1502
    Don't must humans die a painful death? 

I estimate only a small % get to go instantly and painlessly or in their sleep without any illness. 

So,  basically most of us have a horrible painful end to it existence t to look forward to. 

Always struck me as bizarre we don't all choose our own ending ahead of all that suffering.  Like a big party pre funeral where you have cocaine and hookers and say goodbye to everyone and then slip off to death peacefully via injection or something. 

No suffering,  everyone gets a chance to say goodbye and grieve,  no elderly population to feed and heat etc. 

Win win. 
    My gran had an odd death, by that estimation (and most, really). She went out, got her garden ready for the winter, came in and made a cup of tea, wrote letters to my mum and her sister, then sat back and peacefully went to the big sleep with a smile on her face.

Complete mystery, and no - there was nothing in the tea, and no toxins...she just knew - but that's the kind of death we should all wish for.
     There was an old guy died around the corner from us the other week - lived alone - was discovered sitting on a chair in his garden, which seemed a good way.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    Emp_Fab said:

I've made a Gone Belly-Up playlist on Spotify.
    It's not for my actual funeral; too long and idiosyncratic.  
    It's what I would like to listen to at my funeral if I were there, which I won't be, so I enjoy it every now and then while I can.

• bluecat said:
    The minute you take your first breath you start dying. Some of us take longer to die than others it is just the luck of the draw. It is not dying that wories me, it is the loved ones left behind that concerns me more.
    I think I've mentioned this before, but I saw it on Reddit of all places - everybody on the planet is a couple of minutes from death at any given moment. Taking a breath just resets the clock.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • me...me...look at me...me...
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • "Boy: bring wine and dice.  Let tomorrow seek its own salvation.  For Death, twitching the ear, says 'enjoy your life... I come' "

Virgil - Appendix Virgiliana - The Copa :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Bit like when Socrates relaxed after drinking the Hemlock
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    bluecat said:
    The minute you take your first breath you start dying. 
    Not really. Death is inevitable from the first moment, but a large chunk of your life is your body growing and improving, not dying.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 429
    Perhaps if we wanted longer before we actually die , we should have been trees, then in the afterlife we could be made into Guitars.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    I knew an old chap who sat next to his wife on the sofa one afternoon and said "I'm not feeling well luv".  She was reading a book so she told him to lie his head on her shoulder.  Then a few minutes later he was getting a bit heavy on her shoulder, and she tried to move him and realised he'd silently died.  They'd been married for over 60 years, and several weeks later she died too.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Death is in my mind for two reasons

1) lost mum 2 years ago
    2) dad is 95 and won't last forever. It worries me ultimately the thought of going through their possessions and basically scrapping the things that they have collected over their lives, saying goodbye to the empty, lifeless family home that has been a big part of my life for 60 years.

I don't fear death, but I do worry because 2 of my 4 grown up children have autism and I don't know how they will get on when me and the Mrs are out of the picture.

Strangely, I feel a bit concerned about what will happen to my guitars. Not the bought ones, but I have a close bond to the ones I have built myself. It's a strange thought that they will all outlive me. 
  • Don't must humans die a painful death? 

Win win. 
    Where do I sign? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    nero1701 said:
    me...me...look at me...me...
    Really ?  You think it's attention seeking behaviour to ask a sensible question about a serious subject that people clearly want to discuss as it's reached three pages overnight ?

Why such bitterness and hostility ?

Back to the thread....  I wasn't really asking about death, the fear of it or obsessively thinking about it.  I meant what plans have you put in place to help your loved ones.  Do they know where any insurances are, is there any money coming to them and how do they access it, which of your guitars are worth anything (so they don't unwittingly sell a £5K instrument for £50), what your wishes are, what the passwords are to important accounts or websites, what song(s) you would like at your funeral, what kind of funeral etc etc.  Practical stuff.

Trying to sort all that out when the deceased has left no instruction or help is a nightmare - especially if the person trying to sort it all out is grieving at the same time.

So, if you were to suddenly vanish from your partner's life, how would they cope, and do they really know what to do and where everything is ?  It's the last act of kindness to help them when they need you most.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Emp_Fab said:

Death - is coming.

Have you had a note from the Spanish Musicians Union?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    ^ Nobody expects the Spanish Musicians Union...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    First, thoughts about jumping off building, now thinking about death...

• tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    My Mum’s got a saying…..”What’s meant for you, won’t miss you”……I try not to worry about the inevitable, and it’s not the actual dying but more the getting there that I occasionally mull over…
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    I'm not going waste what precious time I have worrying about something that I have no control over.

/end of conversation for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 770
    edited September 2023
    Emp_Fab said:
    nero1701 said:
    me...me...look at me...me...
    Really ?  You think it's attention seeking behaviour to ask a sensible question about a serious subject that people clearly want to discuss as it's reached three pages overnight ?

Why such bitterness and hostility ?

Back to the thread....  I wasn't really asking about death, the fear of it or obsessively thinking about it.  I meant what plans have you put in place to help your loved ones.  Do they know where any insurances are, is there any money coming to them and how do they access it, which of your guitars are worth anything (so they don't unwittingly sell a £5K instrument for £50), what your wishes are, what the passwords are to important accounts or websites, what song(s) you would like at your funeral, what kind of funeral etc etc.  Practical stuff.

Trying to sort all that out when the deceased has left no instruction or help is a nightmare - especially if the person trying to sort it all out is grieving at the same time.

So, if you were to suddenly vanish from your partner's life, how would they cope, and do they really know what to do and where everything is ?  It's the last act of kindness to help them when they need you most.
    @Emp_Fab ;;;

I've been here for about a year and I've seen countless threads and comments from you with the lack of any real substance. Yes I do think its attention seeking. The majority of your banal threads are. Do you get a thrill with the little notification icon?
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"