Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Death - is coming. - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Death - is coming.

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
For me...   for you....   for every living thing on this Earth.

Have you thought about it ?  Or, like most people, do you just pretend it's not going to happen to you or your loved ones, or that  you just don't want to think about it, so you quickly dismiss it from your thoughts ?

For some strange (and slightly concerning) reason, the YouTube algorithms have decided that I would be interested in watching lots of terminal cancer sufferers vlogs about their diagnosis, treatment and ultimately, premature death.

I feel so deeply for these people, crying on YouTube that they've just had their consultant tell them they have x months left to live.
It kind of puts my own life into perspective.  Right now, I have some medical issues that are probably trivial, but could potentially be much more than that.  You imagine how it's gone for the vloggers...   mild symptoms, investigations, scans, they're expecting something straightforward, scan shows something... more scans... etc etc etc...  Before too long, you're documenting your fight for life on YouTube.

Shit like this ALWAYS comes out of nowhere....    One moment your life is great, the next, it's turned upside-down and you're laying in bed trying to get to sleep and also worrying whether you will wake up in the morning.

I've been the executor for my late mother and her sister.  Thankfully, both hard the sense to make a will.

In short....   what safety plans do you have in place for the worst-case scenario ?
Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    I bought Dr Longevity's Elixir of Life 
    I only look 61 but I'm actually 578 years old .
    I was strumming the Lute before you guys learnt your first E chord on the guitar
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    Since my wife passed nearly 5 years ago I count every day as a bonus. I wake up happy that I woke up and try to stay happy for the rest of the day. If death takes me then so be it. I've lived in the greatest age ever for a human to be alive and in a part of the world where food, clean water, welfare, shelter and freedom are the norm. I got blessed with ok physical and mental health. I've seen lots of things, done lots of things and have no regrets.

But. Worst case scenario.

My daughter knows that if I message her to say 'I've gone to be eaten by a bear' she knows I've been diagnosed with something nasty, incurable and likely full of pain. Not what I want. I've had a blast and intend to go out on my terms. Give a bear or a shark or a lion a meal, or succumb to the cold on a snow covered mountainside. Suicide?  Nah, just leaving it up to God or nature. 

All my affairs will be in order. All documentation easy to find. Some sort of other book with names of people to contact and a bit of a life story for the funeral. The house will be clean and nothing 'dodgy' lurking around on phones, pc's or otherwise. 

However, if I got knocked over by a bus tomorrow, my daughter would think I'm a right c*nt. So, I probably need to pull myself together, give the house a good spring clean and get my affairs in order. 

Because as you say...you just never know when.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I prefer it when death lets me know she's coming, gives me a chance to try and get there too. Bony f*cker.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It's in my will that you lot have to have a deathmatch to decide who runs this place.

In case it isn't obvious, the loser gets it. Ideally, it'll be televised.
    <space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
    The algorithm knows you're a very mentally poorly boy and is trying to help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    edited September 2023
    It is written.  My wife and kids will get a bunch of books, instruments, and whatever else I have laying around the place.  And whatever my life insurance payout is.

Well, technically the trust will inherit those things.   The house is already in the trust.  The kids will get the trust.

Despite my deep-seated belief that everyone will be better off without me, I continue to exercise and eat well (minus the ice cream), I even get massages sometimes, I rarely drink, don’t smoke, and my genetic history suggests that I am very disease- and pest-resistant.

We’re all set.  

This is the way.
  • It’s not something I pretend isn’t going to happen, equally it’s not something that I allow to consume my thoughts too much.

My view is when your time is up - it’s up. Simple. There’s not a lot of point worrying or thinking to deeply about it.

That said, there are some things that are in my control to keep the reaper at arms length like staying healthy etc. So I do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    As soon as I saw the thread title I knew who the OP was.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The inevitability of death is what makes life so mysterious and beautiful.
       Death doesn’t scare or worry me in the slightest, I’ve lived life and had a ball. I’m pretty much done now, so anything extra is a bonus. This perspective doesn’t mean I’m old, it just means I’m content…at least that’s how I see it.
       I’m not religious, but my guess would be when I’m dead there will be no suffering or pain, just like the eternity before I was born. 
       Be kind, be loving and understanding, then when your time comes…you will rest in peace x.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I not so worried about dying myself  , I’d like it to be painless & quick hopefully  I can’t bear the thought of losing my mother though  I’d sooner go first 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    Dominic said:
    I bought Dr Longevity's Elixir of Life 
    I only look 61 but I'm actually 578 years old .
    I was strumming the Lute before you guys learnt your first E chord on the guitar
    Was it a blue lute? 
    578 is no age. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    Oddly my wife recieved  an email rom a solicitor today because someone left a 3rd of their estate to her business in their will.   Not a charity, a business she is now running, that is part of a much larger Corp.

It's easier for everyone if you make your will clear!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    The inevitability of death is what makes life so mysterious and beautiful.
       Death doesn’t scare or worry me in the slightest, I’ve lived life and had a ball. I’m pretty much done now, so anything extra is a bonus. This perspective doesn’t mean I’m old, it just means I’m content…at least that’s how I see it.
       I’m not religious, but my guess would be when I’m dead there will be no suffering or pain, just like the eternity before I was born. 
       Be kind, be loving and understanding, then when your time comes…you will rest in peace x.

In general this is very similar to my view I defeat death by not giving two shits about it. 

The only reservation to this is I have an autistic son who will need help his whole life so missus munckee and I are committed to one of us at least being with him as long as possible. 

Looking at missus Munckee’s health; remission from cancer, hospitalized with Covid, asthma, allergic to every living thing etc I assumed it would have to be me.  In her wisdom she says my body is totally unused to illness and she will have 29 years on me as my first illness will do for me.  

So if I’m hoping for either to cough then drop dead one day or have a quadrophenia or butch and Sundance middle finger type death.  I quite like Shrews idea but I want to take the shark with me so they find me and a 30 foot great white both dead from a massive rumble!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckee said:
    The inevitability of death is what makes life so mysterious and beautiful.

In general this is very similar to my view I defeat death by not giving two shits about it. 

The only reservation to this is I have an autistic son who will need help his whole life so missus munckee and I are committed to one of us at least being with him as long as possible. 

Looking at missus Munckee’s health; remission from cancer, hospitalized with Covid, asthma, allergic to every living thing etc I assumed it would have to be me.  In her wisdom she says my body is totally unused to illness and she will have 29 years on me as my first illness will do for me.  

So if I’m hoping for either to cough then drop dead one day or have a quadrophenia or butch and Sundance middle finger type death.  I quite like Shrews idea but I want to take the shark with me so they find me and a 30 foot great white both dead from a massive rumble!
    Yeah, I forgot to add that this is purely my perspective upon myself and my own selfish concerns. Obviously there is the external impact our demise has upon others such as in your case and generally most people and the loved ones they leave behind.
  • I don't fear death now, its the years of being bedbound before it happens.

Going to see the Parkinsons nurse does not help sometimes.  :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 390
    I think maybe we're programmed not to fixate on our own deaths. It's not denial, I think - more a survival instinct. Our death may seem vague and somewhat unreal so that we can get on with the business of living without a perpetual tombstone hanging round our necks.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Philly_Q said:
    Er... yeah....   It's got my name right next to the title ! 

It ain't rocket surgery is it ! :lol: 
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Besides...  I was wasted - weirdly only two hours ago, but now I feel stone-cold sober.  WTF is that all about ?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Emp_Fab said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Er... yeah....   It's got my name right next to the title ! 

It ain't rocket surgery is it ! :lol: 
    I was on my phone at the time - which doesn't show names, just thread titles.  And I thought, that's an Emp one.

(Not meant critically or sarcastically, by the way.  Just an observation.)
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    Emp_Fab said:
    Besides...  I was wasted - weirdly only two hours ago, but now I feel stone-cold sober.  WTF is that all about ?
    It means you're homosexual. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It’s pointless to fear death.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Wiser to fear the other end-of-life certainty - HM Revenue & Customs.
    Be seeing you.
  • munckee said:

Pedant alert 

Jimmy doesn’t actually die in quadrophenia - the opening scene of him walking back from the cliff top is chronologically the last scene :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Don't must humans die a painful death? 

There's murder via shooting stabbing, strangling, torture etc
    Then there's Death via accidents like fire,  car crash,  drowning etc
    Then death via illness with various organ failures 
    Maybe death by pining and love sickness

I guess that accounts for the vast majority 

I estimate only a small % get to go instantly and painlessly or in their sleep without any illness. 

So,  basically most of us have a horrible painful end to it existence t to look forward to. 

Always struck me as bizarre we don't all choose our own ending ahead of all that suffering.  Like a big party pre funeral where you have cocaine and hookers and say goodbye to everyone and then slip off to death peacefully via injection or something. 

No suffering,  everyone gets a chance to say goodbye and grieve,  no elderly population to feed and heat etc. 

Win win. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    Death is coming and I'm taking as many of you fuckers with me as possible.

@Cirrus - prepare The Machine!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stevebrum said:
    It’s not something I pretend isn’t going to happen, equally it’s not something that I allow to consume my thoughts too much.

My view is when your time is up - it’s up. Simple. There’s not a lot of point worrying or thinking to deeply about it.

That said, there are some things that are in my control to keep the reaper at arms length like staying healthy etc. So I do.
    Pretty much sums up my own thoughts.

I'd like to hang around for another 13 years, so that nothing of my kids reach 20.

• BrioBrio Frets: 1499
    I've been dead. No biggie.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Me and the mrs have made our wills, and powers of attorney for health and finance. House is slowly being de- cluttered, in a sort of slow motion Swedish death cleaning. We're sort of prepared I guess. With no kids, our nephews and nieces might do nicely out of us.
    Having just helped clear out my late father in law's house, I realised one person's lifetime accumulation of stuff is mostly just junk to everyone else!
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6460
    Nothing to fear about death.  It is a reminder not to live in your head, and to live in the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    Just coz youtube suggests sad, miserable depressing videos doesn't mean you have to watch them.