Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Epiphone Joe Bonamassa '63 SG Custom - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Epiphone Joe Bonamassa '63 SG Custom

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    I don't care about JB either way, I'm just not keen on an Epiphone G400 for five times the normal price. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I can see the appeal in collecting all these Epiphone JB limited editions if you are a fan, you get a reasonable copy of some of his more eclectic guitars and you if keep them mint the could be an upside to selling them as a pristine collection in years to come when they are hard to come by.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    I honestly don't get all the hate for Joe B. on here.  He has had both Fender and Gibson, the two arch rivals of electric guitar brands, not only release ''signature'' Joe B. guitars, but have released them in the same year at the same time, as in you can buy a Joe B. ''signature'' Gibson/Epiphone electric guitar on the same day you can buy a Fender ''signature'' Joe B. guitar, and this has happened more than once.  How many other guitarists can say that they have had the two biggest competitors in the guitar industry manufacture a signature guitar for him at the same time, yet alone have both these companies to do it multiple times?
    As @Kilgore says, it's not hate ... certainly with me it's wonderment at the blandness of the music he plays. I have a massive soft spot for 'good' blues/rock and love the fire of players like Jeff Healey or SRV ... but I find Joe's playing, while technically brilliant, possesses as much fire as a damp crisp. 
    I'm not a fan of signature this or that, and usually more interested in the music than the gear a player uses ... so with me it's mostly lack of interest - and mild wonderment at the overpriced stuff some folks are prepared to buy if it has his name on it :-) 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I honestly don't get all the hate for Joe B. on here.  He has had both Fender and Gibson, the two arch rivals of electric guitar brands, not only release ''signature'' Joe B. guitars, but have released them in the same year at the same time, as in you can buy a Joe B. ''signature'' Gibson/Epiphone electric guitar on the same day you can buy a Fender ''signature'' Joe B. guitar, and this has happened more than once.  How many other guitarists can say that they have had the two biggest competitors in the guitar industry manufacture a signature guitar for him at the same time, yet alone have both these companies to do it multiple times?
    As @Kilgore says, it's not hate ... certainly with me it's wonderment at the blandness of the music he plays. I have a massive soft spot for 'good' blues/rock and love the fire of players like Jeff Healey or SRV ... but I find Joe's playing, while technically brilliant, possesses as much fire as a damp crisp. 
    I'm not a fan of signature this or that, and usually more interested in the music than the gear a player uses ... so with me it's mostly lack of interest - and mild wonderment at the overpriced stuff some folks are prepared to buy if it has his name on it :-) 

If I could award a wiz for every one of your points I would.  My thinking down to a 'T' on JoBo, signatures and prices.

The comparison between Jeff Healey and JoBo is a massively telling one - they are absolutely worlds apart.  Healey's playing was the polar opposite to JoBo's when it comes to fire, passion and excitement.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’ve actually really liked the stuff of his that I’ve heard. No, it’s not authentic blues, whatever that actually means, but I like it.  

I’m with most people on here regarding the massive proliferation of signature models, though. I always thought the whole idea of a signature model was either a faithful recreation of a truly iconic guitar that a player is known for (like Van Halen’s Frankenstein, or Brian May’s Red Special) of a model tweaked and modded to the exact requirements of a player, like a Clapton Strat.  This idea of just copying a guitar that a well known player happens to own strikes me as idiocy.  Well, buying said guitar is, anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    RobG3294 said:
    Looks ridiculous with the full on yellow tint to the headstock binding and whiter than white board binding.

Gibson Custom type guitars are fitted with white binding throughout, so yellow faded clearcoat on the headstock but showing white fretboard binding is actually more “accurate”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 365
    edited September 2023
    elstoof said:
    RobG3294 said:
    Looks ridiculous with the full on yellow tint to the headstock binding and whiter than white board binding.

Gibson Custom type guitars are fitted with white binding throughout, so yellow faded clearcoat on the headstock but showing white fretboard binding is actually more “accurate”
    Kindly put (thank you for sharing the knowledge) - I'm aware of that mate, and what they're admirably trying to achieve (albeit with questionable execution - been done before on previous JB sigs). In this case it's the actual shade of yellow used as I said - utterly ridiculous aesthetic. Lightly tinting the clear poly wouldn't have been hard.

I might sound a right c u next tuesday* - but if you're going to charge Gibson money for a poorly spec'd Epiphone with no Gibson parts on it (as is available elsewhere in the range at a greatly reduced cost) then it needs to see an improvement in other areas such as the aesthetic attention to detail (whoopy do - they put on Kluson waffle back repros - again, not an expensive cost to them, as all Kluson tuners are now made in S Korea - despite their tailpieces etc being american still).

*Edit - I probably am! 
  • I honestly don't get all the hate for Joe B. on here.  He has had both Fender and Gibson, the two arch rivals of electric guitar brands, not only release ''signature'' Joe B. guitars, but have released them in the same year at the same time, as in you can buy a Joe B. ''signature'' Gibson/Epiphone electric guitar on the same day you can buy a Fender ''signature'' Joe B. guitar, and this has happened more than once.  How many other guitarists can say that they have had the two biggest competitors in the guitar industry manufacture a signature guitar for him at the same time, yet alone have both these companies to do it multiple times?
    Well. His music kinda sucks. I feel like he’s more famous for his guitar collection. 

And how many people here would happily give both their left and right nut, to be able to play half as good as him, and give up a hell of a whole lot more to be in his position, instead of paying to play to a crowd of 50 people at their local pub?
    Personally, not me. I'm sure others might. I don't play local pubs/blues/covers/whatever - absolutely opposite scene to my music. 
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 7650
    edited September 2023
    CavemanGrogg  said:
    I honestly don't get all the hate for Joe B. on here.  
    Ah, well, you see, I could wax lyrical for hours on that topic.

He has had both Fender and Gibson, the two arch rivals of electric guitar brands, not only release ''signature'' Joe B. guitars, but have released them in the same year at the same time, as in you can buy a Joe B. ''signature'' Gibson/Epiphone electric guitar on the same day you can buy a Fender ''signature'' Joe B. guitar, and this has happened more than once. 

How many other guitarists can say that they have had the two biggest competitors in the guitar industry manufacture a signature guitar for him at the same time, yet alone have both these companies to do it multiple times?

Sorry, but IMHO, Irrelevant. Simply couldn't care less.

Fender and Gibson could personally deliver each and every JB signature guitar via a rainbow-shitting unicorn and the unquiet spirit of Jimi Hendrix, who'll perform Red House live in your back bedroom on that very instrument, but I still wouldn't want one.

The worst kind of cynical marketing to blinkered fanboys.

JB is a fucking cartoon, who'd milk anything to maximise $$$. Exactly the same with Slash, blahblahblah.

As @Kilgore says, it's not hate ... certainly with me it's wonderment at the blandness of the music he plays.

I have a massive soft spot for 'good' blues/rock and love the fire of players like Jeff Healey or SRV ... but I find Joe's playing, while technically brilliant, possesses as much fire as a damp crisp.  

Again (and as per my contribution to the 'Controversial Opinions' thread), IM(non-)HO (sorry!), it's all shite - JB, JH, SRV and the entire Blues/Rock genre - conservative, tedious, dead-end boring wank. As remotely distant from anything I'm interested in as possibly can be.

The thought of pub gigs/jam nights full of Blues aficionados fills me with existential dread - away with your reactionary fretwankery and gurning*.

I'd much sooner listen to these two than any amount of JB or SRV:

*But then again, I actively dislike far more music than I actually like. I'll get me coat.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I honestly don't get all the hate for Joe B. on here.  He has had both Fender and Gibson, the two arch rivals of electric guitar brands, not only release ''signature'' Joe B. guitars, but have released them in the same year at the same time, as in you can buy a Joe B. ''signature'' Gibson/Epiphone electric guitar on the same day you can buy a Fender ''signature'' Joe B. guitar, and this has happened more than once.  How many other guitarists can say that they have had the two biggest competitors in the guitar industry manufacture a signature guitar for him at the same time, yet alone have both these companies to do it multiple times?
    Well. His music kinda sucks. I feel like he’s more famous for his guitar collection. 

And how many people here would happily give both their left and right nut, to be able to play half as good as him, and give up a hell of a whole lot more to be in his position, instead of paying to play to a crowd of 50 people at their local pub?
    Probably many would - but there are loads of players on this forum who are a lot more enjoyable to listen to, to my ears.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3503
    edited September 2023
    Kilgore said:
    For my part it's not hate but ridicule.

He'll put his name on anything. There's nothing wrong with that. He's made a decision to monetize every aspect of his career (JoBo Stratocaster back scratcher anyone?) If he could sell a signature turd he would. In the process he's turned into an odd caricature of himself.

He's a very good player, unfortunately he chooses to play a blues(?)/rock that is the equivalent of baby food, a bland tasteless mush.

By all accounts he seems to a nice chap but I'll continue to take the piss out of him.
    Ann Summers line of 'Rock with Joe's cock' vibrators are coming soon.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    Nothing branded Joe Bonamassa will ever appreciate in value.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197

Probably many would - but there are loads of players on this forum who are a lot more enjoyable to listen to, to my ears.
    That's very kind of you, but honestly, you're overestimating me.
  • Stupid money…..Limited Edition…..Celeb endorsement?….meaningless and just marketing bullshit to get your money….
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 303
    soma1975 said:
    Maybe not the Epiphone stuff but the Gibson stuff it's almost double the price!

Love his Gibson 60's 335 awesome guitar.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    Dumodal said:
    soma1975 said:

Selling for or listed at?
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 303
    edited September 2023
    soma1975 said:
    Dumodal said:
    soma1975 said:

I think the last 335 JB sold for £4500 the one The Guitar Center had, I think they were £3k new?

• … a rainbow-shitting unicorn …
    Behold. The Joe Bonamassa signature Squatty Potty. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Dumodal said:
    soma1975 said:
    Dumodal said:
    soma1975 said:

I think the last 335 JB sold for £4500 the one The Guitar Center had, I think they were £3k new?

I think those sunburst JB Epiphone Firebirds have trebled in value, if you can find one.
  • JJ72JJ72 Frets: 41
    And wait for it.....there is now a Martin JB 000-45 in the pipeline according to Guitar.com
  • I think if it was say £150 more than a bog standard epiphone custom then it wouldn't be an issue.

Jobo has no effect on me, im not really a fan of his playing. I find him unnecessarily showy for the sake of it (and I'm a huge Allan Holdsworth fan). 
    He clearly has a niche and a market so more power to him. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    I think those sunburst JB Epiphone Firebirds have trebled in value, if you can find one.
    I seem to recall someone on here commenting that they'd owned one and it was a piece of crap.  They were definitely being listed for stupid money at one point but I'm perplexed as to why.  I don't think the 'value' has gone up, but the price has :-)
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    edited September 2023

Again (and as per my contribution to the 'Controversial Opinions' thread), IM(non-)HO (sorry!), it's all shite - JB, JH, SRV and the entire Blues/Rock genre - conservative, tedious, dead-end boring wank. As remotely distant from anything I'm interested in as possibly can be.

The thought of pub gigs/jam nights full of Blues aficionados fills me with existential dread - away with your reactionary fretwankery and gurning*.

I'd much sooner listen to these two than any amount of JB or SRV:

We are probably on the same page. 

This is right up my street as well...

My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow (Official Music Video) - YouTube

A shed load of Mogwai today is sorting me right out. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    Has anyone actually considered that it *could* be a very good instrument, irrespective of price and the dubious JoBo connection?
    We constantly have people raving over Chinese made Gibson copies made by Eastman - and they are similar money. So why couldn't these be just as 'great'?

Oh and for the record, whiney-white-boy-blooz bores the bollocks off me too. Posh suits, shades and expensive vintage guitars is as far removed from rock n roll and blues as it can be, IMHO.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I’ve already got 5 excellent SGs so won’t be buying one.
    Epiphone prices are creeping up so people might as well buy Gibson’s 
    plenty of great new and used deals about these days.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2139
    edited September 2023
    impmann said:
    Has anyone actually considered that it *could* be a very good instrument, irrespective of price and the dubious JoBo connection?
    We constantly have people raving over Chinese made Gibson copies made by Eastman - and they are similar money. So why couldn't these be just as 'great'?
    I'm sure it probably is, but it seems to me that Gibson are trying to 'do a Skoda' with the Epiphone range and I'm not sure it will wash with buyers used to paying much lower prices for what has always traditionally been Gibson's budget line.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Eric Clapton John Mayer Joe Bonamassa Buddy Guy Santana ZZ Top Crossroads  2023 might offer the greatest lineup of guitar talent ever assembled   Guitar World
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    I honestly don't get all the hate for Joe B. on here.
    I do not hate Joe at all. What I dislike is the fawning behaviour exhibited by his adoring fans. 

The demographics of his concert audiences might prove interesting. (I predict overwhelmingly male and white.) Joe certainly loves Blues music but I never get the feeling that he has lived it the way that, say, Buddy Guy has.

To paraphrase Vivian Stanshall, "can blue men play the whites?"

Err....that isn't paraphrasing is it?  It's the name of the song.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • soma1975 said:
    Go and try to buy a Epi Firebird I in either colour, for less than double the RRP. 
  • soma1975 said:
    Go and try to buy a Epi Firebird I in either colour, for less than double the RRP. 
    Genuinely intrigued why anyone would pay double? Just...don't buy it?