Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Epiphone Joe Bonamassa '63 SG Custom - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Epiphone Joe Bonamassa '63 SG Custom

What's Hot

Comments

• My 2016 Epi custom Les Paul had ebony fingerboard  outstanding guitar 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    impmann said:
    Oh, but one thing... someone tell Joe he looks *really dumb* wearing shades indoors. Its not cool. At all.
    The dude screams 'I am trying' but it doesn't work. Please just don't. 
    He wears them on stage because he is light sensitive. But they are not good sunglasses
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StefB said:
    At last, the guitar we all think of first when Joe springs to mind.
    The Wangcaster?
    Be seeing you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Something inside cringes every time I see yet another JoBo or Slash ‘limited release’. The whole thing is so contrived that it reminds me of the old folks collecting overpriced competitive plates advertised in the back of the daily fail. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 673
    They've been reading all the posts on here saying
       'My epiphone les paul plays better than the Murphy lab I saw in a shop once, it's a gibson killer'
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    impmann said:
    Oh, but one thing... someone tell Joe he looks *really dumb* wearing shades indoors. Its not cool. At all.
    They're actually from the Joe Bonamassa 'Inspired by' Sunglasses Collection. You can get Roy Orbison, Billy Gibbons, Slash, etc.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Something inside cringes every time I see yet another JoBo or Slash ‘limited release’. The whole thing is so contrived that it reminds me of the old folks collecting overpriced competitive plates advertised in the back of the daily fail. 
    I can picture a relative on antiques roadshow or in a guitar shop in twenty years time.
    Relative: "No no, it is worth more than that...they were limited to just 300 guitars. This is a JOE BONAMASSA signature"

Shop assistant/ expert: " im sure those numbers are correct sir, but £250 is what it is worth.
    Besides you said exactly the same thing for the Flying V, 335, double neck les paul, stratocaster, telecaster, gretsch, warlock, RG and the seven string PRS SE. Bonamassa was only favoured by a select few.....Now if you had a one string fretless Tim Henson sky water blue abasi chrome controller..then it would be worth something"

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    DrJazzTap said:
    Something inside cringes every time I see yet another JoBo or Slash ‘limited release’. The whole thing is so contrived that it reminds me of the old folks collecting overpriced competitive plates advertised in the back of the daily fail. 
    I can picture a relative on antiques roadshow or in a guitar shop in twenty years time.
    Relative: "No no, it is worth more than that...they were limited to just 300 guitars. This is a JOE BONAMASSA signature"

Shop assistant/ expert: " im sure those numbers are correct sir, but £250 is what it is worth.
    Besides you said exactly the same thing for the Flying V, 335, double neck les paul, stratocaster, telecaster, gretsch, warlock, RG and the seven string PRS SE. Bonamassa was only favoured by a select few.....Now if you had a one string fretless Tim Henson sky water blue abasi chrome controller..then it would be worth something"

There's always a strong kernel of truth in the best humour.  Touche DJT  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Kilgore said:
    impmann said:
    They're actually from the Joe Bonamassa 'Inspired by' Sunglasses Collection. You can get Roy Orbison, Billy Gibbons, Slash, etc.
    He’s like your embarrassing uncle who thinks Blues Brothers is the best film ever and truly believes everyone else thinks it’s as timelessly cool as he does
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmann said:
    He just needs better frames - something like a Wayfarer would be a much better look.

I'm not remotely surprised by a JB SG happening - it's the last mainline Gibson shape he hasn't had a sig of, isn't it? Or maybe he hasn't had an Explorer (that'll be next year, presumably)

As for the guitar itself, it's a nice looking SG but these price rises are clearly raising questions. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1681

I'm not remotely surprised by a JB SG happening - it's the last mainline Gibson shape he hasn't had a sig of, isn't it? Or maybe he hasn't had an Explorer (that'll be next year, presumably)

Good shout on the Explorer - i'd put money on that being available next year.

2025 is the JoBo Sonex 180 i'm sure of it !
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Blues Kermit has more Epiphone signature models than he knows what to do with. This latest one is a joke and priced accordingly. 
    You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 698
    They are not signature models in the sense that JB plays them regularly but rather Epiphone replicas of his vintage Gibson guitars. I think it's an interesting approach as some of these models are actually rare or unusual (as is the case of this custom with the reshaped neck heel and custom colour).

It is however too expensive for a Chinese made, with dubious wood types, poly finished and Epi HB's equipped guitar. Too close to Gibson SG standard prices as well.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    I really, really need to see the Epiphone Joe Bonamassa Cümbüş
  • When our future descendants excavate the remains our civillisation they'll think that JoBo was some kind of king with the amount of tat with his name/likeness that'll end up in landfill
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2139
    tomajoha said:
    When our future descendants excavate the remains our civillisation they'll think that JoBo was some kind of king with the amount of tat with his name/likeness that'll end up in landfill
    Will they be using JCB Joe Bonamassa signature diggers though I wonder?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    tomajoha said:
    When our future descendants excavate the remains our civillisation they'll think that JoBo was some kind of king with the amount of tat with his name/likeness that'll end up in landfill
    Spot the difference:

Tutankhamuns Mask  Joy of Museums Virtual Tours
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Philly_Q said:

Spot the difference:

Tutankhamuns Mask  Joy of Museums Virtual Tours
    One is a man worshipped by his followers and hailed as a living God.

The other is Tutankhamun. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    ^^ At least it looks like micro-Joe's head nods.  I bet Tut's doesn't.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited September 2023
    Offset said:
    ^^ At least it looks like micro-Joe's head nods.  I bet Tut's doesn't.
    You'd have to be bloody strong to make Tut's head nod, that's for sure.
  • Looks ridiculous with the full on yellow tint to the headstock binding and whiter than white board binding.

Suprised they've limited them to 300, given the crazy extra profit these things will make them. Probably costs them les to make than the 61SG Epiphone (given the lack of gibson pickups). 

I picked up a 2015 Gibson SGS3 for that money which has very similar spec (okay sideways wiggle stick rather than a maestro wiggler) and is even more limited than 300. Bizzare money. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    fnpt said:
    They are not signature models in the sense that JB plays them regularly but rather Epiphone replicas of his vintage Gibson guitars. I think it's an interesting approach as some of these models are actually rare or unusual (as is the case of this custom with the reshaped neck heel and custom colour).

It is however too expensive for a Chinese made, with dubious wood types, poly finished and Epi HB's equipped guitar. Too close to Gibson SG standard prices as well.
    Does he keep buying more vintage guitars so they can make signature models? Like it sort of pays for itself?

Good idea if it works...
  • I honestly don't get all the hate for Joe B. on here.  He has had both Fender and Gibson, the two arch rivals of electric guitar brands, not only release ''signature'' Joe B. guitars, but have released them in the same year at the same time, as in you can buy a Joe B. ''signature'' Gibson/Epiphone electric guitar on the same day you can buy a Fender ''signature'' Joe B. guitar, and this has happened more than once.  How many other guitarists can say that they have had the two biggest competitors in the guitar industry manufacture a signature guitar for him at the same time, yet alone have both these companies to do it multiple times?
  • I honestly don't get all the hate for Joe B. on here.  He has had both Fender and Gibson, the two arch rivals of electric guitar brands, not only release ''signature'' Joe B. guitars, but have released them in the same year at the same time, as in you can buy a Joe B. ''signature'' Gibson/Epiphone electric guitar on the same day you can buy a Fender ''signature'' Joe B. guitar, and this has happened more than once.  How many other guitarists can say that they have had the two biggest competitors in the guitar industry manufacture a signature guitar for him at the same time, yet alone have both these companies to do it multiple times?
    Well. His music kinda sucks. I feel like he’s more famous for his guitar collection. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Well. His music kinda sucks. I feel like he’s more famous for his guitar collection. 

And how many people here would happily give both their left and right nut, to be able to play half as good as him, and give up a hell of a whole lot more to be in his position, instead of paying to play to a crowd of 50 people at their local pub?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2022
    I honestly don't get all the hate for Joe B. on here. 
    I like Joe Bonamassa, just to be clear. (I realise it's not all about me, of course!)
  • Dave_Mc said:
    I honestly don't get all the hate for Joe B. on here. 
    I like Joe Bonamassa, just to be clear. (I realise it's not all about me, of course!)

I bet he'd be worshiped as a god around here if he played nothing but Harley Bentons and Harley Benton made Joe B. signature guitars.
  • I honestly don't get all the hate for Joe B. on here.
    I do not hate Joe at all. What I dislike is the fawning behaviour exhibited by his adoring fans. 

The demographics of his concert audiences might prove interesting. (I predict overwhelmingly male and white.) Joe certainly loves Blues music but I never get the feeling that he has lived it the way that, say, Buddy Guy has.

To paraphrase Vivian Stanshall, "can blue men play the whites?"
    Be seeing you.
  • My problem with Epiphone is that for £999 or £1,499 you get pretty much the same guitar you’d get for £599, with some Gibson humbuckers (sometimes) and a case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    I honestly don't get all the hate for Joe B. on here.  He has had both Fender and Gibson, the two arch rivals of electric guitar brands, not only release ''signature'' Joe B. guitars, but have released them in the same year at the same time, as in you can buy a Joe B. ''signature'' Gibson/Epiphone electric guitar on the same day you can buy a Fender ''signature'' Joe B. guitar, and this has happened more than once.  How many other guitarists can say that they have had the two biggest competitors in the guitar industry manufacture a signature guitar for him at the same time, yet alone have both these companies to do it multiple times?
    For my part it's not hate but ridicule.

He'll put his name on anything. There's nothing wrong with that. He's made a decision to monetize every aspect of his career (JoBo Stratocaster back scratcher anyone?) If he could sell a signature turd he would. In the process he's turned into an odd caricature of himself.

He's a very good player, unfortunately he chooses to play a blues(?)/rock that is the equivalent of baby food, a bland tasteless mush.

By all accounts he seems to a nice chap but I'll continue to take the piss out of him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter