Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Epiphone Joe Bonamassa '63 SG Custom - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Epiphone Joe Bonamassa '63 SG Custom

What's Hot
StefBStefB Frets: 2139
At last, the guitar we all think of first when Joe springs to mind - https://www.gak.co.uk/en/epiphone-limited-edition-joe-bonamassa-1963-sg-custom-dark-wine-red/966275

A bargainous £1,499 to you, complete with Epiphone pickups.
13reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    edited September 2023
    Just what the kids have been crying out for
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • This is absolutely insanely overpriced. If people pay that they really have more money than sense.

The best bit:

"without the steep vintage price." 

Well....

Epiphone humbuckers and a case. Such a good deal....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    StefB said:
    At last, the guitar we all think of first when Joe springs to mind - https://www.gak.co.uk/en/epiphone-limited-edition-joe-bonamassa-1963-sg-custom-dark-wine-red/966275

A bargainous £1,499 to you, complete with Epiphone pickups.
    Ahhhhh, but it's a limited edition, see.  'Limited' because the number of times JoBo has been spotted playing an SG are, well,  'limited'.  And they're not just ANY old Epiphone pickups, oh no.  They're individually voiced, offering an array of tonal possibilities.  So there.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The 2 pickup Gibson with wonky vibrato is a similar price. I'm sure these will be on sale soon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Oh well that’s more January sale guff for the stores. Gibson can’t seem to grasp that these joke prices aren’t shifting units. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I mean, it looks nice but £1500…for an Epiphone SG when you can get a decent Gibson SG for that any day of the week is just silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286

Well... I can't say its something I've seen JoBo play much, but its a pretty cool spec SG. Parking the price tag for a moment, the actual spec is great - Maestro, plus three pickup and the bound board look very cool. I like the colourway *a lot*.

So back to the price - I'm not sure it *is* ridiculous. If the quality is good, then why the heck not? We get folks crowing all the time over Far Eastern made Gibson copies that cost more than this. But because it says Epiphone on the top... it can't be expensive and good can it? 

Anyhoo... personally, I think it looks great. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I couldn’t believe it when I saw it advertised in an email ,another Jo Bo sig
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    Oh, but one thing... someone tell Joe he looks *really dumb* wearing shades indoors. Its not cool. At all.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Apparently JoBo was as surprised as anyone when they told him he had a 63 SG Custom in his collection
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    FIFTEEN HUNDRED QUID FOR A FUCKING EPIPHONE??!! 

That's outrag....

No, I don't give a shit really.  It's just what they cost now, isn't it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’ve had a word with my legal team and, apparently, you don’t have to buy it if you don’t actually want it or don’t like the price. Problem solved. Cushty!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 86
    edited September 2023
    They should really just put these out as the Bonamassa Collection shouldn't they? Limited runs with no suggestion he plays it, just "here's a copy of a particularly cool guitar from the collection" like Fender do the FSR colorways. Surely he has enough cool stuff tucked away to fuel the engine for a couple rounds at least. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Pretty sure I saw the real vintage Gibson equivalent on Gumtree about 5 years ago for not far off that price. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    They didn’t shift the 335s that quickly which were cheaper than this.
    Mental
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2770
    impmann said:
    Oh, but one thing... someone tell Joe he looks *really dumb* wearing shades indoors. Its not cool. At all.
    Given what he's playing, maybe he was trying to avoid being recognised, rather than look cool? 

I’ve had a word with my legal team and, apparently, you don’t have to buy it if you don’t actually want it or don’t like the price. Problem solved. Cushty!
    You had to run that past your legal team....? ;) 
  • impmann said:
    The dude screams 'I am trying' but it doesn't work. Please just don't. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    edited September 2023 tFB Trader
    You know that Halloween episode of the Simpson’s when Bart had the monkey paw and asked to be rich and famous? The Simpson’s ended up EVERYWHERE and people got annoyed, fed up and bemused by it all? 

No idea why that just sprang into my mind.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Limited to just 300.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1137
    This should pair nicely with a JB sig Spider combo retailing at 2k. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 303
    I'm just thinking that used Custom Shops From the big two are looking more and more like a bargain right now.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    edited September 2023
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    WBT2079 said:
    Limited to just 300.
    Thank goodness for that 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WBT2079 said:
    Limited to just 300.
    Thank goodness for that 

Limited to 300 guitars, for this batch perhaps, who know how many will be made for their 2024 batch
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    Have Epiphones come with ebony boards before?
  • elstoof said:

Yes, and not just on signature models
  • Bloody hell - I got my Gibson SG Standard 61 for less than that a year ago…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoof said:
    Inspired By series Custom, Modern, and Prophecy LPs, SGs, and Explorers which start from around 6/700 I think. Couple of signatures like the Lucille and JJN Goldtop. Before the Inspired By range I don't remember any obvious ones and the Customs all had rosewood. 

It's definitely dyed Ebony of some kind because the Custom I have is consistently dark and there's no way they're using premium at that price point, but it does look and feel pretty good. 
  • elstoof said:
    Inspired By series Custom, Modern, and Prophecy LPs, SGs, and Explorers which start from around 6/700 I think. Couple of signatures like the Lucille and JJN Goldtop. Before the Inspired By range I don't remember any obvious ones and the Customs all had rosewood. 

It's definitely dyed Ebony of some kind because the Custom I have is consistently dark and there's no way they're using premium at that price point, but it does look and feel pretty good. 

Also the old ''Pro line'' that was replaced by the ''inspired by Gibson'' models.