Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Good/bad dog names - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Good/bad dog names

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• We have a car that comes to us and has done since he was a kitten. We don’t see him for weeks then he rocks up for a wee while 

I have christened him Charles Booford the 3rd 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    stufisher said:
    I agree ... history is what it is ... as unpleasant as it may sound or appear in the 21st Century.

A flip side example would be that homosexuality in the UK was not decriminalised until c.60 years ago whilst it seems such an alien concept to 21st C society that it'd even be outlawed in the first place.

Societal norms change continuously and IMHO it's not within any era's remit to retrospectively tamper with what has gone before.
     but is it ok to call your Racehorse Sir Gaylord ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    Emp_Fab said:
    No.  You just don't understand the difference.  That's on you, not me.
    If you say so, champ.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited September 2023
    If I had a pet I would call it Fanny.
  • ‘Stay’… the most confused dog in the world.
    ”come here stay”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SimonC said:
    Don’t call that dog Lifesaver, call him Shithead 
    Love those films
  • My wife wanted to call our dog Gaultier. No way was I going to be running after a Beagle with no recall shouting Gaultier, Gaultier.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    My wife wanted to call our dog Gaultier. No way was I going to be running after a Beagle with no recall shouting Gaultier, Gaultier.
    ...wherefore art thou, Gaultier?
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Emp_Fab said:
    I think it should be left in.  The film is intended to be truthful about the events of the war, it should also accurately portray the social norms of the day too.  
    Terrible dog name
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Cranky said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I think it should be left in.  The film is intended to be truthful about the events of the war, it should also accurately portray the social norms of the day too.  
    Terrible dog name
    No-one is claiming otherwise.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 662
    Still think Dave takes some beating, in the park, meeting other owners in the street, whispering sweet nothings while cuddling the thing at home, your kids telling their friends at school their new dog is called dave, doggy tombstones. If single male, think telling your date you have a dog called dave is significant pulling power.

Dont worry, be silly.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    This is honestly true.

My great uncle Dick, retired gamekeeper in the Ribble Valley had a dog called Bugger. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I think dogs should have dog names, not people names. There are loads of people with people names already.

Also it's frowned upon if you call your child "Binbag" or "Doofus" or "Smidsy". 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Cats should be called Tiddles. If it was good enough for Mrs Slocombe's Pussy, it's good enough for me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 559
    We have a new pig arrive at the weekend (long story and I had to make a new fence etc and anon rapidly) that I have named "Bacon Sandwich".

The kids have named it "Tilly".

It will become bacon sandwiches next Easter.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    Doggy McDogface?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Sporky said:
    Also it's frowned upon if you call your child "Binbag" or "Doofus" or "Smidsy". 
    Not on the Jerry Springer Show.

(RIP)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    swiller said:
    Still think Dave takes some beating, in the park, meeting other owners in the street, whispering sweet nothings while cuddling the thing at home, your kids telling their friends at school their new dog is called dave, doggy tombstones. If single male, think telling your date you have a dog called dave is significant pulling power.
    Some friends of mine had a dog called Dave.  He came to an early demise, sadly.  Their new dog is called Sidney.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I always chose non-dog names for my dogs.

Previously we've had:
    Mr Hobbes (pictured, with the hat on).
    Calvin
    Humphrey
    Currently got:
    Daniel
    Bernard
    Albert
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15657
    Tree Shit Monkey does not strike me as a very good dog name but each tae their own
    tae be or not tae be
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 559
    Captain Barnacle?
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023
    How about Adam Britton, or just plain Adam?  I here it's all the rage with cats at the moment, apparently cats are lining up to change their names via deed poll to have their name changed to some form of Adam Britton to scare off their local dogs.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    edited September 2023
    If I had a bad dog I would name it Emp