Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Good/bad dog names - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Good/bad dog names

What's Hot

Comments

• I knew a guy who had named all his cats after different types of jazz. Bebop was one, and another called Swing. Might have been one called Fusion. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Great shout @EricTheWeary ... our Parson Russell is an Alfie too ... isn't it amazing that you know him so well without having met him :astonished: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tone1 said:
    Anyone said Deefer yet? 
    ive a friend with a dog called Deefer
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1322
    edited September 2023
    Don’t call that dog Lifesaver, call him Shithead 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Philly_Q said:
    My sister has a beautiful black cocker spaniel called Dax.  I don't know where the name came from (maybe better suited to a dachshund) but I like it.  One syllable, nice and simple.
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine I'd imagine :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I knew a guy who had named all his cats after different types of jazz. Bebop was one, and another called Swing. Might have been one called Fusion. 

Welcome To Jazz Club Fast Show GIF - Welcome To Jazz Club Fast Show The Fast Show GIFs
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited September 2023
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    My sister has a beautiful black cocker spaniel called Dax.  I don't know where the name came from (maybe better suited to a dachshund) but I like it.  One syllable, nice and simple.
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine I'd imagine :-)
    No, my sister wouldn't even know the original Star Trek, never mind one of the "new" series!   

I think it was actually her youngest daughter who gave Dax his name, but she wouldn't know Star Trek either.  They're more Anne of Green Gables or Little Women types.  Maybe Suits if they wanted to watch something modern.

(And incidentally, I've just demonstrated that I don't know anything about Deep Space Nine either.)
  • My friend had a Dog called Minton.

If it misbehaved, he would say " Bad Minton".

B) 
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I think it was a politician who named their cat ''Margaret Thatcher'', and when the cat died, a number of world leaders actually thought it was the Iron Lady herself who died, and sent their condolences.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    My uncle had a dog called Minton. It was always eating shuttlecocks
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    Attention Whore
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    Lord Quentin Havercroft Cuntchops III
  • Offset said:
    I knew a guy who had named all his cats after different types of jazz. Bebop was one, and another called Swing. Might have been one called Fusion. 

Welcome To Jazz Club Fast Show GIF - Welcome To Jazz Club Fast Show The Fast Show GIFs
    Exactly! 
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Attention Whore
    we know ;-)
    My Trading Feedback

"If it smells like shit...It is probably shit"
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Guy Gibson, who led the Dambusters raid had a black Labrador called Nigger -
    Guy Gibson, who led the Dambusters raid had a black Labrador called Nigger -
    Yeah, and there's been quite a bit of controversy in recent years about the dog.  His headstone was replaced recently and his name was removed; then the RAF had listed building consent refused when they tried to relocate the grave to another airbase.

There has been censorship of the name over the years in which the Dambusters raid has been recounted, and Peter Jackson's proposed remake of the original film has seen debates over historical accuracy versus causing offence.

Make your own mind up - it's a difficult one.
    I think it should be left in.  The film is intended to be truthful about the events of the war, it should also accurately portray the social norms of the day too.  
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 430
    You've changed your tune.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    No.  You just don't understand the difference.  That's on you, not me.
  • Dav275Dav275 Frets: 256
    Used to have a dog called Goofy. 
    My wife had two call ducks, called Aromatic and Crispy.
    Like it or not, 'Nigger' was a fairly common name for a black dog back then and nothing was thought of it.  The name was also the code word transmitted in morse to signify the success of the dam raids, so is significant from that historical perspective as well.

I understand why some people find the dog's name problematic but unfortunately you can't re-write history.  The name is out there as a matter of fact.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I agree ... history is what it is ... as unpleasant as it may sound or appear in the 21st Century.

A flip side example would be that homosexuality in the UK was not decriminalised until c.60 years ago whilst it seems such an alien concept to 21st C society that it'd even be outlawed in the first place.

Societal norms change continuously and IMHO it's not within any era's remit to retrospectively tamper with what has gone before.
    Offset said:
    Like it or not, 'Nigger' was a fairly common name for a black dog back then and nothing was thought of it.  The name was also the code word transmitted in morse to signify the success of the dam raids, so is significant from that historical perspective as well.

I understand why some people find the dog's name problematic but unfortunately you can't re-write history.  The name is out there as a matter of fact.
    It's a difficult one... I don't know the best way to deal with it.  I don't approve of re-writing history but I realise it's a word that causes great offence in today's society, and we can't dictate to anyone that "you have to put this in its historical perspective".  People are entitled to see things from whatever perspective they want.

Maybe the best you can do is include a warning at the start, like they do with some old cartoons and Disney films: "This film contains outdated attitudes, language and/or cultural depictions which may cause offence today".  I'm sure that's not enough for some observers, but there are thoughtful people at the film studios who genuinely care about film history and don't want to see films banned or censored.

Whenever this topic comes up, I always think of the many films I've seen where the N-word is used quite casually and frequently, but there never seems to be a big push to (for example) censor all the blaxploitation films of the 1970s.  I guess perhaps very few people are even aware they exist so no-one kicks up a storm about it.  I'm pretty sure the word is even used in a number of Quentin Tarantino's films, which are relatively recent, but again I'm not aware of any big reaction.
    ^^ Yep, plenty of use of the 'N' word in QT's movies - Django and Pulp in particular spring to mind.  There seems to be a clear  delineation between art and history when it comes to tolerating its' use, which I admit puzzles me.  
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1004
    My dog's called Peppa (she's a lashaPoo,11 YOA now)

Best name i ever heard called after a dog was Thor & it was a massive British BullDog! a women on my local park has x2 Pugs called Pesi & Max.....I think Loki or Mozart would be cool names for a Dog
    Dav275 said:
    Used to have a dog called Goofy. 
    My wife had two call ducks, called Aromatic and Crispy.
    Ha!  A friend's dad had a couple of ducks too.  They were called Christmas Day and Boxing Day...
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2221
    Syndrome.

• We named our second cat Holly Rainbow Legend Gloria Stripey Sparky Banging Bear Sprinkles. Our first cat is called Wesley or more formally Mr. Wesley...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Mr Trousers is a good dog name, especially for a lady dog. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    If I had a cat I would call it Colin.  I don't have any predetermined dog names though, dogs are more idiosyncratic, I think.