Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Good/bad dog names - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Good/bad dog names

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    edited September 2023
    Saw a TV play in the early 80's which had a dog called 'Haversack'.
    Love the name but I keep ending up with rescues that are already named... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    My grandmama had a Black Scottie called Romeo who was always running away
    she genuinely used to shout across the park 'Romeo,Romeo where art thou '
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KevSKevS Frets: 309
    Ebola MacBubo.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Never had a dog. But my cat's name was Woof.
  • Tannin said:
    Girlfriend's sister named her cat Duck, and the dog Bear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 825
    School friend had a dog called Trigonometry (Trigger for short) on account of it having a white triangle of hair on it's forehead. 
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
  • swiller said:
    Surely...
    Male - Dave
    Female - Barbara

I've got a chihuahua called Dave. Hard as nails.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited September 2023
    When I was about 11 we got a rescue kitten.  My Mother called her "Puff" because she was a fluffy wee ball.  The problem was that she grew up into a big strong beast that would chase us around the garden clawing at our legs to bring us down like prey.  I still squirm when I think back to having to go out and call her in for food when I thought I was a real hard man of about 15.  I did manage to deepen my voice as I called out her name in case any of the other kids heard me.

There was a big hoo-ha on Facebook about 6 years ago when a Spanish girl posted photos of her dog named Negro (much like we would call a dog "blackie") and loads of people accused her of being a racist.  I would guess that if an amp enthusiast named her dog or cat "Blackface" it would generate a similar furore.

My friend as a kid had a Bull Mastiff that they named "Baskerville".  It would chase cars and bite the tyres.  It lost a few teeth doing this.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Taking a dog named Shark for a walk on the beach is a bad idea.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• Tannin said:

There's a cockerpoo on our street called Bear, I think more Teddy than Grizzly. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • My mate's dog is called Bow-ie. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• I quite like human names for dogs and we called our previous staffie Eric, but we currently have Smurf and Beau. Smurf started life as Murphy but had his name changed in rescue to try to soften his image as brindle staffies are a hard sell. Beau is female so probably ought to have been "Belle" but was, too, named by a previous owner. 

We thought that re-homing would be stressful enough without a name change so we've kept them as is.

"I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Cols said:
    Taking a dog named Shark for a walk on the beach is a bad idea.
    I had a rabbit called Sniper. 

We didn't take her on walks very often. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Good name: RSS Sir David Attenborough
      Bad name: Boaty McBoatface

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Doggy McDogface? 
  • Good name: RSS Sir David Attenborough
    Every dog should start: RSS. Good call. :lol: 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Our rescue was called Phoebe when we got her from The Dog's Trust.  We'd never seen a dog that looked less like a 'Phoebe' so she became Pickle the day we brought her home.

Our lab is Ozzy, named after The Prince Of Darkness hisself.
    Good name: RSS Sir David Attenborough
    Every dog should start: RSS. Good call. :lol: 
    RSS News Feed is a great dog name.
  • Offset said:
    Our rescue was called Phoebe when we got her from The Dog's Trust.  We'd never seen a dog that looked less like a 'Phoebe' so she became Pickle the day we brought her home.

I have thought about having a second dog and that dog would be called Pickle although I realize that walking over the park shouting 'Cheddar and Pickle!' would only confirm for locals that I am, well, to be avoided. 
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 2357
    edited September 2023

Tannin said:

A cockerpoo being named Bear, I can understand, but a Jack Russel?  It makes no sense to me, there's nothing bear like about the breed, but then naming a dog ''Toddler On Meth'' is probably not socially acceptable.

Her naming her cat Duck, actually makes a lot of sense, once you meet the cat, it a real weirdo as far as cats go, she loves water and will dive in sinks, bath tubs, anything with enough water to fully submerge herself really so she can either have a paddle about, or just simply sit in it and relax like she's at a posh spa.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    edited September 2023

Tannin said:

A cockerpoo being named Bear, I can understand, but a Jack Russel?  It makes no sense to me, there's nothing bear like about the breed, but then naming a dog ''Toddler On Meth'' is probably not socially acceptable.

Her naming her cat Duck, actually makes a lot of sense, once you meet the cat, it a real weirdo as far as cats go, she loves water and will dive in sinks, bath tubs, anything with enough water to fully submerge herself really so she can either have a paddle about, or just simply sit in it and relax like she's at a posh spa.
    JRs should have names like old people. Ours was Alfie but Doris, Clive,Arthur,etc, all acceptable. Every Jack Russell is the reincarnation of a grumpy old soul who liked cribbage, nursing a pint of mild and shouting at children. 
  • My mate's dog is called Bow-ie. 

There was a dog named bowie round here a while back. It had different coloured eyes.
  • I knew someone who had a rabbit called Strimmer...
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    Deefer.

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    My sister has a beautiful black cocker spaniel called Dax.  I don't know where the name came from (maybe better suited to a dachshund) but I like it.  One syllable, nice and simple.
  • Our dog was called Tinkerbell at the rescue centre, but we didn’t fancy yelling that across the local park so we changed it.

A friend has a chihuahua/Pomeranian cross called Teddy because he looked like a cute little teddy bear. He’s a snarly yappy little shit.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    My mate’s dog was called Plank. 

He wasn’t the brightest dog. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• One of our other Chihuahuas was a rescue called Maverick, of all names. He sleeps most of the day and is the least dynamic dog you could ever meet. Hardly an appropriate name.

He's now called Bob.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Woof-o , woofer , 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    Anyone said Deefer yet?