Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Mike McCready Strat MIM version - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Mike McCready Strat MIM version

What's Hot

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    ^^So how does it play?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Offset said:
    ^^So how does it play?
    Already answered earlier in the thread.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    edited September 2023

Offset said:
    ^^So how does it play?

Like Butter Man

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975 said:

Offset said:
    ^^So how does it play?

Like Butter Man

Hahaha, nicceeee 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• Looks amazing mate, nice guitar, lovely fretboard too.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    I really really want this. I don't get like that about guitars very often. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    Offset said:
    ^^So how does it play?
    Already answered earlier in the thread.
    Oops, missed it.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    edited September 2023
    How dark is that fretboard!? Beautiful guitar. I’m a huge PJ fan and would be attempting to an Even flow solo in front of the mirror (badly, obviously!) on first play. How do Fender do these? I’m a seasoned spray painter and it amazes me how they get this consistent relic effect. Bravo!
    I play at my dining room table.
  • soma1975 said:

Offset said:
    ^^So how does it play?

Like Butter Man

Sounds a bit like a Telecaster there....
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    I'm surprised the usual review channels have put out any videos of these yet.      

@kennedydream1980 ;  that looks great!   Not sure I can justify that much for a mexican strat but I'm tempted if they all look that good.   

• gusman2x said:
    @kennedydream1980 , did it arrive?
    Yes and it’s bloody brilliant. I thought I would need to do the classic mod to wire the tone control up to the bridge pick-up, but it doesn’t need it. The bridge pick-up sounds just fine as is and fattens up nicely winding the volume back a touch. 

The setup is perfect for me and it just feels like a very well made guitar. I’ve owned custom shop guitars that didn’t feel as good to play and sound as good as this does.

The case is also lovely. So overall I’m very very happy with it. :-)
    Pleased for you man  & just right straight outta the box , I must say I’ve always had good results with GAK . So glad it’s all you expected Is the case like a G&G . Can’t wait to see pics or a demo .
    happy new guitar day 
    Yes the case is a G&G like the custom shop cases.
    That’s good ,they’re very expensive 
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3275
    @kennedydream1980 looks great pal. 
  • JJ72JJ72 Frets: 41
    Looks great. Still find it ridiculously expensive for a Mexican strat and although I've never tried one, the thought has crossed my mind that you could buy two PRS SE silver sky's for the same price.
  • JJ72 said:
    Looks great. Still find it ridiculously expensive for a Mexican strat and although I've never tried one, the thought has crossed my mind that you could buy two PRS SE silver sky's for the same price.
    Yeah but at least you don't have to hate yourself for owning a PRS ;)

Seriously though, the point you make is just the labour involved being more expensive, and the nitro/relic finish and G&G case. Plus it's Alder not Poplar I guess. I think it's just a choice about having the proper name and a relic finish Vs an extremely good Strat copy but it's not a Fender.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 182
    edited September 2023
    I’m impressed tbh I think it looks bloody great.  I’d like to see them keep this style of relicing in the future and stick a chunky neck on it and I’d be tempted to try one.  

Josh Allen has a review on it on YouTube 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    Having said earlier in the thread I'm not a fan of the look of the actual original, therefore the CS and Mex reissues are not for me either... I really like your one @kennedydream1980 !

I think it looks great. 

Enjoy.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• I wouldn't consider myself a Strat guy, and I always (for reasons I can't articulate, but probably because of the cool name) "preferred" Stone Gossard, but McCready is a bloody incredible player.

I will almost certainly never spend that kind of money on a guitar, but I have a powerful yearning for one - I've entered a competition to win one, which I'll almost certainly not win, but if I do I think I'll become a Strat guy pretty quickly (my being "not a Strat guy" is possibly because I've only played my S type, which is a cheap copy with a verrrrry slightly twisted neck).
  • This looks (and sounds - from the one snippet I’ve heard) like a really nice guitar.

Conceptually, I guess this shoots in the direction of the Custom Shop Rory Strat (eg based on an early 1960s model, rosewood board, heavily worn nitro sunburst), although obviously skewed towards Mike McCready’s particular nuances both visually and sonically.

So what’s not to like !! @kennedydream1980, that’s just fab, and I’m jealous to put it mildly. I wish I could justify another Strat, but just don’t think I can - doh. 

As for ‘it is too much £££ for a MiM’. Lordy, I certainly feel beyond the US vs MiM analysis on VFM. Sure, it is super expensive - but special guitars ARE (to a point) expensive, wherever they are made. And many of the current MiM Fenders are VERY well made.

Congrats !!
  • So tempted by this and also the Jason Isbell Telecaster! Decisions, decisions! Or maybe save for both! 

• That looks like a guitar I'd love to pick up and play. Lucky you!
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2139
    GAK have the first second hand example I've seen so far here - https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-mike-mccready-stratocaster-rosewood-fingerboard-second-hand-/969846
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 526
    The price may divide opinion but I'd have one in a flash . . . it looks awesome :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    StefB said:
    Someones wife must’ve googled the price of the new guitar that appeared in the front room
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2139
    elstoof said:
    StefB said:
    Someones wife must’ve googled the price of the new guitar that appeared in the front room
    "You paid how much for a Mexican Strat?"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StefB said:
    It will be the one I had which I had to send back to them. There is an issue with these where the high e string is very close to the edge of the Fretboard. It was causing me issues. It wasn’t unique to this particular example as it seems that a few others have had the same problem. I guess it comes down to your playing style and technique. But for me it did cause me issues.

it was such a shame as I really did love the feel, look and sound of it. But if I’m forking out that much for a guitar I need it to be right for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    StefB said:
    It will be the one I had which I had to send back to them. There is an issue with these where the high e string is very close to the edge of the Fretboard. It was causing me issues. It wasn’t unique to this particular example as it seems that a few others have had the same problem. I guess it comes down to your playing style and technique. But for me it did cause me issues.

it was such a shame as I really did love the feel, look and sound of it. But if I’m forking out that much for a guitar I need it to be right for me.
    Sorry to hear you had to return it.  Isn't that pretty much a vintage Strat issue generally?  Combination of a relatively narrow neck and very wide string spacing at the bridge.
    maw4neu said:
    The price may divide opinion but I'd have one in a flash . . . it looks awesome :-)
    It's funny how divided we all are on this sort of guitar (well, on any sort of guitar!) - I think it looks bloody awful!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    StefB said:

Man, that was a common issue on the Ed O’Brien Strat as well. Wonder they haven’t taken measures to prevent it…
    Philly_Q said:
    StefB said:

Sorry to hear you had to return it.  Isn't that pretty much a vintage Strat issue generally?  Combination of a relatively narrow neck and very wide string spacing at the bridge.
    Well it has a 9.5 radius neck, so perhaps not quite vintage.  Just MIM quality :-)