Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Mike McCready Strat MIM version - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Mike McCready Strat MIM version

What's Hot

Comments

• Jeez that's pricey!!! :open_mouth: 

It does look great though, and it's the first roadworn series with rosewood in quite a while too - I can't see them taking too long to sell out if that's a limited release.

- Do I want one? Yes.
    - Will I buy one? No.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    edited September 2023
    Jeez, a few years ago I could have picked up a used CS for that much.  There is inflation and there is INFLATION.  I thought £1099 for a MIM was the new normal but this is another 50% jump.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I got a Bravewood custom made one. It's ace!

4reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I would have said the same, but I recently tried one of the J Mascis MIM Telecasters and I thought the build/sound/feel of the whole package was as good as, if not better than, anything from the standard US range.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    edited September 2023
    Japan's where it at, again   - though the very top end Mexicans are as good as any other production line Fender imo.

£1549 is still a bit rich!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AlunAlun Frets: 79
    It is a bit pricey, but some of the higher end PRS SE's have been nudging close to that as well, to be fair.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Heavier relic job, custom pickups, looks like possibly a custom neck profile, hard case, so the price isn't surprising, I guess.
    I would have said the same, but I recently tried one of the J Mascis MIM Telecasters and I thought the build/sound/feel of the whole package was as good as, if not better than, anything from the standard US range.
    That's good to hear – based on the recent noise I'd have more confidence buying MIM blind than regular-production US. Reviews of the Japanese guitars seem a bit more mixed than in the past, too.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Is it a limited run? Looks labour intensive
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    If a heavy relic is over £5k these days, I don't think that's awful if the wear is close to the original (which I guess it will be as believe they use stencils in the Mexico factory). 

I paid more for the Rocky Strat and thats MIM
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    The MIM guitars are really good. This might be expensive to some people but just like the US built relic guitars there is an up
      charge for the distressing of the finish. You would pay less if it didn't have a relic finish.
      I think the better option would be to buy one of the Vintera II guitars which are on the way .
  • Buy a standard MIM, tie it to the back of your car and drive a few KMs. Job done.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1239
    tFB Trader
    My first though was 'oh, I suppose Pearl Jam must have had a guitar player'. They're a rock band after all, but it had never crossed my mind.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    It's expensive because the relic process involves smashing an H9 to pieces
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    edited September 2023
    timhulio said:
    My first though was 'oh, I suppose Pearl Jam must have had a guitar player'. They're a rock band after all, but it had never crossed my mind.
    eh? They have 2 (3 including Eddie) very good guitar players, who have written some very good songs over the last 30+ years. Let's hear your stuff, and we'll go from there eh!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timhulio said:
    Mike McCready is an amazing guitarist! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 303
    edited September 2023
    timhulio said:
    come on now, Mike is a great guitar player!

also £1649 on Peach, I think you can save a grand more and get a used Custom Shop, unless of course if you are a fan. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timhulio said:
    My first thought was 'oh, I suppose Pearl Jam must have had a guitar player'. They're a rock band after all, but it had never crossed my mind.
    McCready is quality and I can’t tell you how much I want one of these, could be a wee fire sale coming shortly 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • They go to all that effort doing a matching relic look, and then they stick the string tree in the wrong place. I know a lot of people don't care, but it bugs me. Bastards!
  • Wouldn’t pay that much for any MEX Fender,
    personally. 
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4108
    edited September 2023
    These Sig model MIM are going the same way price wise as the Epiphone Sig models price  wise.  Absolute joke!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    The McCready Masterbuilt CS models were like £12k and although there obviously weren't a *lot* of them, the few that got allocated to the UK sold within *hours*... these will be similarly successful among a certain demographic, I'm sure.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4327
    edited September 2023
    Looks great, but I'll bet the flippers are licking their lips in anticipation....

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• StefBStefB Frets: 2139
    These Sig model MIM are going the same way price wise as the Epiphone Sig models price  wise.  Absolute joke!
    The market is starting to speak though as they can't 'give' the Mustaine Vs away at £1,099, and most other Epi signature models have ended up heavily discounted too.
  • Mike McCready. Plays the guitar.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    Why not just buy a sunburst Strat and attack it with blunt objects randomly until it looks utterly terrible... you could save a lot of money and the end result would be incredibly similar.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• @MagicPigDetective a lost classic that album.
  • Mike McCready. Plays the guitar.

Fantastic stuff, Mad Season Above is a classic Album for me, and Barrett Martin is superb 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Shock of the day - big guitar company charges big money to pay for big overheads.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timhulio said:
    These "I've never heard of [insert name of hard working, accomplished and often famous guitarist]" comments seem to pop up from time to time. The usual one's about YouTubers come across a bit naive. This one sets a new bar. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • steersteer Frets: 1043
    I hope that it plays and sounds better than it looks. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter