Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Mike McCready Strat MIM version - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Mike McCready Strat MIM version

What's Hot

Comments

• Sold out instantly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Flippers delight...... 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • But of course, I understand others will have the complete opposite view, which is fine. I consider McCready a guitar legend and one of my all time guitarists and fully deserving of signature guitars. Although I can't stand Noel and his music, I fully accept his role and influence in the guitar world! 

I'm not being arsey here  =) - but what makes McCready a guitar legend to you? I'm genuinely interested in what makes him special in yours and other posters on here eyes?
    I know it's in no way fully representative of the guy's ouvre but in the Fender promo posted above I didn't see anything particularly noteworthy (power / barre chords/ basic pentatonics, unison bends with wah and Hendrix rhythm / lead thing). I did appreciate the punk strumming vibe / play loud / thrash it out thing he had going on - but other than that?
    Any particular song / album.? I'm not asking you to justify the guy - but hey - maybe myself and others can learn something from this?

As for the "deserving of sig guitar thing" I feel that's nothing to do with the skill / fame of the player and completely about the $$$$ / business of selling guitars. Fender obviously feel there's a sizeable chunk of well heeled players who are fans of the band hence the justification.
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    Sold out instantly. 
    Boromedic said:
    Flippers delight...... 
    Huh? a) they are all on preorder everywhere - could be anywhere from October to January, depending on which dealer you believe... none have been available yet at all and b) there is no indication they are limited, so not sure where a flipper would make money, except perhaps to a total idiot, which I concede is not impossible.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    Cols said:
    timmypix said:
    So, understandably, Pearl Jam are a big band so there's demand for this but... what makes this a signature model other than the relic job? The original's a 1960 Strat, right, nothing unique to it other than the wear?

I see the spec lists special pickups:
    > custom Mike McCready Stratocaster pickups are voiced to replicate Mike's vintage single-coils 
    But surely they already do a 60s style Strat pickup in the Mexican line up? Or am I ignorant of something special about Mike's pickups?
    I think the only real distinction from a standard 60s MIM Strat (other than the dubious benefits of having a friendly Mexican beat the shit out of your guitar before it leaves the factory) is that the fretboard radius is slightly flatter at 9.5” instead of 7.5”.
    Of course, they aren't beating the shit out of it. They're building a replica of his guitar.
    I really don't get why this is so difficult to understand.
    I realise some people see the need to moan about relics and have done for the last 25 years, but in this case, why would you want them to build an inaccurate replica?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    9/10 signature guitars are no different to this, even when the player is as legendary as Noel Gallagher
  • They go to all that effort doing a matching relic look, and then they stick the string tree in the wrong place. I know a lot of people don't care, but it bugs me. Bastards!
    Really ? At the price point you’d expect it to be pretty spot on 

For some reason, on the Strats they always stick the string tree in between the A and D tuners; this identifies them as MIM I think. They don't always do this on the Teles though. I guess the Teles have less room for manoeuvre, so they can't always do it as it wouldn't sit right with the decal. It's a little thing, but it bugs me and has put me off many a purchase. Bloody pedants eh!! :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    impmann said:  
    There was so much better stuff starting to come through on this side of the pond... 
    And then - like a steaming turd being dropped into a favourite Ming vase - Oasis happened, and British guitar playing was dumbed down for years.
    Yes they did... but no it wasn't.

Blur, Manics, Suede (with Bernard or Richard), Mansun... plus there were myriad of other genres around using guitars as either primary or secondary instruments, such as Acid Jazz and even some of the DnB cross-over acts coming through toward the end of the decade. Plus the Prog and Metal genres never went away...

And whilst you may not like Oasis (and some of the later stuff wasn't great, tbh) their music inspired lots of other people to get up and play. Technically, they weren't great guitarists (and never pretended to be) - but much like the likes of Steve Jones two decades earlier, you didn't *NEED* to be, as it was about the song not the widdle-fest. 

Y'see, technical brilliance isn't necessarily something I relate to... YMMV, but I tend to connect with songs not a solo. 

And I never connected with the songs of PJ but I get that others do. 

Its still overpriced for an ugly sunburst strat with unrealistic 'relic damage', IMHO, no matter how you dress it up.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CaseOfAce said:
    But of course, I understand others will have the complete opposite view, which is fine. I consider McCready a guitar legend and one of my all time guitarists and fully deserving of signature guitars. Although I can't stand Noel and his music, I fully accept his role and influence in the guitar world! 

I'm not being arsey here  - but what makes McCready a guitar legend to you? I'm genuinely interested in what makes him special in yours and other posters on here eyes?
    I know it's in no way fully representative of the guy's ouvre but in the Fender promo posted above I didn't see anything particularly noteworthy (power / barre chords/ basic pentatonics, unison bends with wah and Hendrix rhythm / lead thing). I did appreciate the punk strumming vibe / play loud / thrash it out thing he had going on - but other than that?
    Any particular song / album.? I'm not asking you to justify the guy - but hey - maybe myself and others can learn something from this?

Anybody can be a guitar legend to anyone, if they've inspired you or if their playing moves you. I just love his lead style, it's nothing new or revolutionary, but when I was 17 or whatever, him, Cobain, Cantrell, Thayil etc were my guitar heroes, same as every generation has their heroes.... for their technical side of things has nothing to do with it, it's about feel, emotion, attitude, how their guitar parts fits in the song. His guitar playing on the end of Black gives me shivers every time.... but someone could easily dismiss it as basic pentatonic wah fiddling. There are hundreds of live versions about, I've just picked a random one out. Some of you will not find it anything special that's  fine, but it does a lot for me:

"basic pentatonics, unison bends with wah and Hendrix rhythm / lead thing" - yes it is, but I love that and the way he plays that, it's as simple as that. 

The technical, virtuoso guitarists at the time had no interest for me, and did not inspire me at all, though I have by now grown to appreciate that side of things! 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Cols said:
    having a friendly Mexican beat the shit out of your guitar before it leaves the factory
    @chris78 reading this comment…

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 117
    CaseOfAce said:
    But of course, I understand others will have the complete opposite view, which is fine. I consider McCready a guitar legend and one of my all time guitarists and fully deserving of signature guitars. Although I can't stand Noel and his music, I fully accept his role and influence in the guitar world! 

I'm not being arsey here  - but what makes McCready a guitar legend to you? I'm genuinely interested in what makes him special in yours and other posters on here eyes?

Anybody can be a guitar legend to anyone, if they've inspired you or if their playing moves you. I just love his lead style, it's nothing new or revolutionary, but when I was 17 or whatever, him, Cobain, Cantrell, Thayil etc were my guitar heroes, same as every generation has their heroes.... for their technical side of things has nothing to do with it, it's about feel, emotion, attitude, how their guitar parts fits in the song. His guitar playing on the end of Black gives me shivers every time.... but someone could easily dismiss it as basic pentatonic wah fiddling. There are hundreds of live versions about, I've just picked a random one out. Some of you will not find it anything special that's  fine, but it does a lot for me:

"basic pentatonics, unison bends with wah and Hendrix rhythm / lead thing" - yes it is, but I love that and the way he plays that, it's as simple as that. 

The technical, virtuoso guitarists at the time had no interest for me, and did not inspire me at all, though I have by now grown to appreciate that side of things! 

Same... and now I'm going to be playing pentatonic noodles over live versions of Black for the rest of the day. I remember when Live on Two Legs came out and I learned the Black solo note for note. 

More bonus McCready content - skip to the 5ish minute mark for some awesome tag teaming with Boom the organ player:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm not ashamed to say i'm a Pearl Jam fanboy, and i'm going to pre order one

*shrug* 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • They go to all that effort doing a matching relic look, and then they stick the string tree in the wrong place. I know a lot of people don't care, but it bugs me. Bastards!

For some reason, on the Strats they always stick the string tree in between the A and D tuners; this identifies them as MIM I think. They don't always do this on the Teles though. I guess the Teles have less room for manoeuvre, so they can't always do it as it wouldn't sit right with the decal. It's a little thing, but it bugs me and has put me off many a purchase. Bloody pedants eh!! :-)
    I never knew this , thanks for the info 

I never knew this , thanks for the info 

It's just my take. There may be MIM Strats out there with the string tree in-line with the A tuner post, but I can't remember seeing one. To be fair, USA made models were the same for a while, even the Clapton Custom Shop models were like that. Historically there are loads of Strats out there with 'badly aligned' string trees (Hendrix and George Harrison were two), but I like a bit of alignment myself. It must have been those technical drawing lessons I had at school!
  • I’m beginning to think the price is about right if you compare it to a Vintera roadworn and add on the £400 to £500 premium for it being a signature  as the roadworn Vintera seems to start about £1000 .

they could do a cheaper one I guess by using the method LTD did on the George Lynch strat quite a few years ago  where the relic was a decal or stencilled then clear coated  I think at the time this resulted in it being just less than £500 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Whitecat said:
    Sold out instantly. 
    Boromedic said:
    Flippers delight...... 
    Huh? a) they are all on preorder everywhere - could be anywhere from October to January, depending on which dealer you believe... none have been available yet at all and b) there is no indication they are limited, so not sure where a flipper would make money, except perhaps to a total idiot, which I concede is not impossible.
    Just from a friend who was after one and everywhere are telling him sold out limited run only. 
    edited September 2023
    Whitecat said:
    Sold out instantly. 
    Boromedic said:
    Flippers delight...... 
    Just from a friend who was after one and everywhere are telling him sold out limited run only. 
    "Everywhere" is sure doing a lot of heavy lifting there...

https://www.coda-music.com/fender-mike-mccready-strat-3-color-sunburst.html

https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/solid-body/fender-mike-mccready-stratocaster-rosewood-3-colour-sunburst.htm

https://www.andertons.co.uk/fender-mike-mccready-stratocaster-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-mike-mccready-stratocaster-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/966961

and one actually claiming "in stock" as of the moment I write this but I'd take that with a grain of salt - EDIT - it's now 'preorder' - if they had one, they sold it since I posted this originally:

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-mike-mccready-stratocaster-rw-3-color-sunburst

and there are loads more...

• Whitecat said:
    Sold out instantly. 
    Boromedic said:
    Flippers delight...... 
    GAK have just emailed me to say the stock is due in next 7 days 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    "Get ready to rock with the Fender Mike McCready Stratocaster, a true masterpiece designed in collaboration with Pearl Jam's iconic guitarist. With its hand-crafted Road Worn Nitrocellulose Lacquer finish, custom vintage-style pickups, and unique aesthetics, this guitar is a rare gem in the world of music. Channel the spirit of rock legends and experience the timeless tone and passion that define Mike McCready's signature sound. Elevate your music to new heights with the Mike McCready Stratocaster."

All hyperbole, but the 'rare gem' bit takes the biccie.  And £1649... sheesh.
  • The (Asian) Kim Thayil Guild S-100 is giving me much more GAS and at half the price..... though looking at these McCready videos is making me want to pick up my strat again, which I haven't touched for a few months. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    The (Asian) Kim Thayil Guild S-100 is giving me much more GAS and at half the price..... though looking at these McCready videos is making me want to pick up my strat again, which I haven't touched for a few months. 
    tbf that strat and that SG make a perfect 2-guitar setup. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Ahh limited run is surely going to make the price keen , they will be appearing on eBay and reverb soon with an extra £1000 added which is a shame as it will mean someone will miss out on some due to speculative buying . 
    Ahh limited run is surely going to make the price keen , they will be appearing on eBay and reverb soon with an extra £1000 added which is a shame as it will mean someone will miss out on some due to speculative buying . 
    it doesn't say anywhere that it's actually limited though. at least nowhere I've looked...
  • Im torn, i have a big birthday this year and this would be a 50th treat to myself , but i dont want to buy till i see them hit the market and if it IS a ltd run then could miss out 
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Cols said:
    having a friendly Mexican beat the shit out of your guitar before it leaves the factory
    @chris78 reading this comment…

I’m genuinely astounded that I’m not on Chris’s blocked list.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    You always make me laugh @Cols and you’re also right about bigsbys and teles
  • I'm a big fan, but already have 3 strats and can't justify a 4th that will sound like 1 of my others. The reason Mike is such a legend, is when he plays live he puts his guitar behind his head and knocks out some of the most amazing solos. I know there are some amazing guitarist on this forum but Mike can play the guitar better behind his head than 98% of us can play it with it on a strap hanging in front of us. When you see him live you'll understand.
  • Pear jam were and are a big band still. 
    They have regularly sold out massive stadiums in the US and Europe plus the bonus for fender is that the core demographic of pearl jam fans are mid 40’s-50’s with probably the disposable income to buy and enjoy this guitar. 
    I like PJ but I’m not an Uber fan, I think the guitar is overpriced but will sell. 
    When I bought the Kurt Cobain Jaguar MIM relic it was £1100 and that was about 11 years ago. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    I loved Pearl Jam back in the day but haven't listened for years. 

The Strat looks great but not something I'd be interested in buying.  Quite tempted by the Kim Thayil Guild though.
  • impmann said:
    stickyfiddle said:

And for the record - I fucking hate the Eagles. :)

"Get the **** outta my cab!"
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life