Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Mike McCready Strat MIM version - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Mike McCready Strat MIM version

What's Hot

Comments

• Ridiculously overpriced for a MiM, and that sunburst attempt is just appalling - no fading between colours at all, just a line around the edge...and the line's weirdly straight, too, like they're trying to blot out the natural curves of a Strat body.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • timhulio said:
    My first though was 'oh, I suppose Pearl Jam must have had a guitar player'. They're a rock band after all, but it had never crossed my mind.
    These "I've never heard of [insert name of hard working, accomplished and often famous guitarist]" comments seem to pop up from time to time. The usual one's about YouTubers come across a bit naive. This one sets a new bar. 
    Corksniffers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    Ridiculously overpriced for a MiM, and that sunburst attempt is just appalling - no fading between colours at all, just a line around the edge...and the line's weirdly straight, too, like they're trying to blot out the natural curves of a Strat body.  
    I can't unsee that badly done sunburst now.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    edited September 2023
    timhulio said:
    My first though was 'oh, I suppose Pearl Jam must have had a guitar player'. They're a rock band after all, but it had never crossed my mind.
    These "I've never heard of [insert name of hard working, accomplished and often famous guitarist]" comments seem to pop up from time to time. The usual one's about YouTubers come across a bit naive. This one sets a new bar. 
    How so Ben?
    I'm at best aware of Mike McCready and Stone Gossard name wise as being the guys out of Pearl Jam...but other than the intro to Alive I'm sorry - I draw a blank - in the same if someone asked me about Ed O'Brien from Radiohead.
    To the vast majority of guitar players out there I can well imagine a similiar response - almost certainly true if they weren't around when '10' was released in the early 90s heyday.

Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    You remember the into but not the solo in Alive?
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    edited September 2023
    elstoof said:
    Nope.  =)
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    It’s a pretty tasty 3-4 minutes, worth a retread. He’s done some great ones for PJ, Temple of the Dog etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • elstoof said:
    The main riff (as played by Stone Gossard) is by far the more memorable bit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    CaseOfAce said:
    elstoof said:
    Nope.  =)
    You aren't alone. 

I'm not a fan - and when it came out, I thought it was a bit 'meh'... my ex even bought me a copy of it on 12in single (which I think I still have, somewhere), as she thought it was incredible. I've just relistened to it and my opinion hasn't changed - its a track that's not offensive and its perfect MTV-friendly angst. The solo isn't 'spectacular' and is a pentatonic whig out with some Hendrix-alike phrasing and tones. But if I'm honest, its not *that* original really... I'm sure he's a nice player and all, but Alive doesn't do much for me (and never has). That said, I've not heard anything by Pearl Jam that I particularly like... so I'm not target market.

Good luck to anyone that wants to replicate the sound by buying this guitar - but I think you could do exactly the same for a lot less. Signature models are nice and all for those who are uber-fans but they just appear a bit pointless to those who don't know/care.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    edited September 2023
    Signature relics like this lend themselves very well to the Roadworn series, as these have always been reliced to a template anyway. Yes it's a little more work than a typical Roadworn, but once the template is done they can be cranked out at much lower cost from Ensenada than the Custom Shop.
  • Ridiculously overpriced for a MiM, and that sunburst attempt is just appalling - no fading between colours at all, just a line around the edge...and the line's weirdly straight, too, like they're trying to blot out the natural curves of a Strat body.  

Original 1960:

MIM:

Fender CS:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmann said:
    CaseOfAce said:
    elstoof said:
    Nope.  =)
    You aren't alone. 

I'm not a fan - and when it came out, I thought it was a bit 'meh'... my ex even bought me a copy of it on 12in single (which I think I still have, somewhere), as she thought it was incredible. I've just relistened to it and my opinion hasn't changed - its a track that's not offensive and its perfect MTV-friendly angst. The solo isn't 'spectacular' and is a pentatonic whig out with some Hendrix-alike phrasing and tones. But if I'm honest, its not *that* original really... I'm sure he's a nice player and all, but Alive doesn't do much for me (and never has). That said, I've not heard anything by Pearl Jam that I particularly like... so I'm not target market.

Good luck to anyone that wants to replicate the sound by buying this guitar - but I think you could do exactly the same for a lot less. Signature models are nice and all for those who are uber-fans but they just appear a bit pointless to those who don't know/care.
    I am a huge PJ fan but Alive is easily one of my least favourite songs. Ten wouldn't be a lesser album without it IMO. For those who think if PJ as sounding like 10, go with VS. for the more visceral energetic side of them and Yield for something different and mature.

I am really torn on the MM strat, if it was around the £1100 mark I could justify it but there is something stopping me from pre-ordering. I've not owned a strat in 5 years and not particularly missed having one, but this was a bedroom poster guitar growing up. I expect the flippers will be all over this.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    Jeez that's pricey!!! :open_mouth: 

It does look great though, and it's the first roadworn series with rosewood in quite a while too - I can't see them taking too long to sell out if that's a limited release.

- Do I want one? Yes.
    - Will I buy one? No.
    All of this. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • JJ72JJ72 Frets: 41
    I made my own replica last year when the custom shop one came out:
    96 Squier YN strat=£120
    s/h Fender PV59 pickups =£80
    Aged kluson tuners=£40
    James Home of tone harness=£70
    Raw vintage springs=£40
    Grand total=£350
    Now a great guitar (notwithstanding the homemade relicing!)and I bet it would hold it's own against a £1500 mexican Fender

https://imgur.com/a/CMwq2dH
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Pearl Jam are an album band. You have to persevere a tiny bit, but they're a great band. Strong music, lyrics, energy and sincerity.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2170
    I think its okay in the scheme of things....I've seen worse relics from Nash, Bravewood and the others. The CS masterbuilt ones go for £16k now so a tenth of that price for a MIM is not the end of the world. PJ and MM have a huge fanbase so I'm sure they will sell ok.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    A lot of love for MIM Fenders here. I’ve had two recent vintnera roadworns (actually 3 including one I sent back as the neck was so out of spec), and played many more recent ones and the fingerboard and fret ends ranged from poor to abysmal. I’m assuming they’ve sorted their problems out. My issue with the Mex Roadworn finishes, not bad but they look like they’d never been a finished guitar in the first place before relic’ing, very flat looking. And the necks just felt rough rather than played in. 

I’ve just picked up a 2014 Classic Player Lacquer Tele on eBay and it supports my option that Mex Fenders have got worse not better. 
  • Fender CS:

Honestly, I don't think any of those are good sunbursts; the CS one being the least bad of the three. The best one I've seen was by Golden Era Guitars back when they were SC Relics...I'll see if I can find a pic of it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 8492
    It’s really funny the standard relic comments on this thread.
    The guitar is supposed to be a replica. The original is very well worn. I’m sure McCready didn’t drag his guitar behind a pickup truck. Imagine if it had been a NOS. It’d be more ridiculous given the original. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    Very surprised at the comments about Pearl Jam and guitarists generally having limited knowledge of their line up. They are an enormously popular band with a huge following. Whether you like them or not isn't really relevant. Sold out two shows last year at Hyde Park, regular sell out enormodomes across Europe and the states. 

I'd have thought Mike McCready was pretty well known, especially in the market for relic Fenders - I'm amazed he doesn't appear to be. He's got a great gear collection and has done plenty of interviews / videos about it. On top of being one of two excellent rock guitarists in the band. Seems I'm wrong, but I do find that surprising - especially on a guitar forum. 

We have a million signature guitars for Joe Bonamassa - I'd be very surprised if he has sold anywhere close to the volume of albums Pearl Jam have, or sold a tenth of the number of tickets for his shows. Jason Isbell - who I love - has a signature Tele, relic'd. Is he better known in the guitar fraternity? Any non-hardcore fans able to hum a great solo by him?

Doesn't surprise me one bit that he has a signature model of his most famous guitar. 

I sound like a total fanboy but I'm not, I promise! I also have no desire to have a copy of his guitar and certainly not at that price. World's gone mad on that point!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    It looks cool if beat up Strats are your thing; at least a more thoughtful approach than the Slash Epi’s “paint it a different colour and charge another £400” scheme.  And certainly more bang for your buck than the £15k Custom Shop model.

timhulio said:
    I’m not sure why people jump on threads like this to declare their lack of knowledge.  Pearl Jam have been going for over 30 years and are one of the best-selling bands of all time; they’re not exactly niche.  A large part of that success is the excellent guitar work of McCready and Gossard.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    McReady is an amazing player. PJ, Temple of the Dog and Mad Season all great. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • soma1975 said:
    McReady is an amazing player. PJ, Temple of the Dog and Mad Season all great. 
    The Temple Of The Dog album is IMHO one of the best things ever to come out of '90s Seattle. 
  • I’d rather a PJ / MM sig that yet another Bonamassa guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    When people ask me “Scott, I have a guitar I’d like your to “relic”, but it’s acrylic/urethane finish. If I send it to you can you do something for me please?” all I have to do is show them close ups of the MM Strat and say “no”.

• I’d rather a PJ / MM sig that yet another Bonamassa guitar. 
    Well, the good news is that you can have both now!
  • I don't want one but I like it and I don't think the price in insane considering regular road worns were 850 or so 10+ years ago. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    He's a cracking guitarist. 

But I think his original Strat is unappealing looks wise, so the MIM and CS were never going to be winners for me.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• When people ask me “Scott, I have a guitar I’d like your to “relic”, but it’s acrylic/urethane finish. If I send it to you can you do something for me please?” all I have to do is show them close ups of the MM Strat and say “no”.

Shame that it’s nitro then… ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    When people ask me “Scott, I have a guitar I’d like your to “relic”, but it’s acrylic/urethane finish. If I send it to you can you do something for me please?” all I have to do is show them close ups of the MM Strat and say “no”.

Shame that it’s nitro then… ;)
    Well, it’s their version of “nitro”. But they’ve caked it on so thick that a thin coat of urethane probably would have worked better both visually and financially!