Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 20 best British songs - Music Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

20 best British songs

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Sporky said:
    thecolourbox said:Having reread my list and just seen Sporky's list where i only really recognised one song, it has made me think how I should have included Prodigy's Firestarter in my 90s list! 
    Breathe?

I wasn't deliberately going obscure, I was dredging my musical youth for the stuff that most grabbed me - and things that are good songs in themselves.
    Sorry I wasn't very clear with what I meant, Breathe by Prodigy was the only one I knew, but it made me think of Firestarter which is my favourite.

No problem with being obscure as it's only obscure to me, I'm sure many people will know more than me :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    Sporky said:
    ewal said:

I loved Moose!

Might try and do a list later, but likely to be another "songs of your youth" because that's mainly when I predominantly listened to UK music.
    I know a lot of bands get described as "different live", but Moose were almost unrecognisable on record. Suzanne and Untitled Love Song were my favourites.
    I think I saw them live. Memory is extremely hazy though. Suzanne and Jack, the singles basically, were my standouts. Had a listen today, Suzanne really is a classic.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Sorry I wasn't very clear with what I meant, Breathe by Prodigy was the only one I knew, but it made me think of Firestarter which is my favourite.

No problem with being obscure as it's only obscure to me, I'm sure many people will know more than me :)
    All good - I might have sounded more defensive than intended. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    Also U2 because Edge was born in Essex to Welsh parents and Adam Clayton was born in Oxfordshire ..
    Damnit that's really disappointing to hear. We'd gladly trade you those pair for that d1ck of ours Bono all day, every day :)
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Ah, go on then.

Something - The Beatles
    Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin 
    Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
    White Room - Cream
    War Pigs - Black Sabbath
    Teenage Kicks - The Undertones
    All Right Now - Free
    Baggy Trousers - Madness
    Live Forever - Oasis
    Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones
    Badge - Cream
    Since I’ve Been Loving You - Led Zeppelin 
    Pinball Wizard - The Who
    We Are The Champions - Queen
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd
    Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks
    Nowhere Man - The Beatles
    This is a Low - Blur
    Common People - Pulp
    Green Manalishi - Fleetwood Mac
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1728
    There are dozens I could nominate in my top twenty but the top two would be Golden Brown and Smooth Operator.
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1204
    edited September 2023
    Slightly controversial to state this in a thread started by a Australian! 

AC/DC - Back in Black.

Well, the Young brothers were from Glasgow originally, Bon Scott also from Scotland, Cliff Williams and Brian Johnson are English,  Dave Evans the original singer was born in Wales.
    I don't think it is a controversial viewpoint, just wrong. AC/DC (especially the Bon Scott era band) are the quintessential Australian band. That most of the band members were born outside Australia just makes them similar to many other Australians of their generation. The band is Australian through and through. Nor do I think the addition of Brian Johnson changed that because he had minimal creative impact on the band (and being dropped from the band a few years ago demonstrated how important he was to the Young brothers).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    There's loads here I hadn't thought of which should be on the list.  Ripping off the plaster and just listing them without too much thought I get:

Beatles - Day In the life
    Stones - Wild Horses
    Kinks - Waterloo Sunset
    Procul Harum - whiter shade of pale
    Dusty Springfield - Son of a preacher man
    The Hollies - He Ain't Heavy
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Dire Straits - Tunnel of Love
    Elvis Costello - Olivers Army
    The Jam - Strange Town
    Police - So Lonely
    Smiths - This Charming Man
    Kate Bush Running up that hill
    Stone Roses - Made of Stone
    Inspiral Carpets - She comes in the fall
    Manic Street Preachers - Motorcycle Emptiness
    Suede - Animal Nitrate
    Pulp - Disco 2000
    Radiohead - Paranoid Android
    Prodigy - No Good Start the Dance

I've run out of places!

• 1 - Tomorrow Never Knows - the Beatles
    2 - Waterloo Sunset - the Kinks
    3 - Loving Cup - Rolling Stones
    4. - The Ocean - Led Zepplin
    5 - Kinky Affro - happy Mondays 
    6 - Moonage Daydream - David Bowie
    7 - True Faith - New Order
    8 - Roads - Portishead
    9. - Pick up the pieces - Average White Band
    10 - Unfinished Sympathy -  Massive Attack
    11 - Live Forever -  Oasis
    12 - Higher than the Sun - Primal Scream
    13 - Ghost Town - The specials 
    14 - She bangs the drums -  Stone Roses
    15 - Inspection - Leftfield
    16 - Inner City Life - Goldie
    17 - Guns of Brixton - the Clash
    19 - Cool Waves - Spiritualized 
    20 - Juggle tings proppa -  Roots Manuva

that was not easy..... 
  • Slightly controversial to state this in a thread started by a Australian! 

AC/DC - Back in Black.

Well, the Young brothers were from Glasgow originally, Bon Scott also from Scotland, Cliff Williams and Brian Johnson are English,  Dave Evans the original singer was born in Wales.
    I don't think it is a controversial viewpoint, just wrong. AC/DC (especially the Bon Scott era band) are the quintessential Australian band. That most of the band members were born outside Australia just makes them similar to many other Australians of their generation. The band is Australian through and through. Nor do I think the addition of Brian Johnson changed that because he had minimal creative impact on the band (and being dropped from the band a few years ago demonstrated how important he was to the Young brothers).
    I was just being facetious after previous comments on tenuous British links. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2424
    1. Anarchy In The Uk - Sex Pistols
    2. Hey Jude - The Beatles
    3. Every Breath You Take - The Police
    4. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
    5. Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis
    6. Paranoid - Black Sabbath
    7. Going Underground - The Jam
    8. We Are The Champions - Queen
    9. Motorcycle Emptiness - Manic Street Preachers
    10. Salisbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
    11. Don't You Want Me - Human League
    12. Common People - Pulp
    13. Dakota - Stereophonics
    14. Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush
    15. Atmosphere - Joy Division
    16. A Forest - The Cure
    17. Ace Of Spades - Motorhead
    18. Too Much Too Young - The Specials
    19. Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols
    20. My Sweet Lord - George Harrison

It's liked the piped music around my local Morrisons.

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    Pffft.

No Pilot?

No Del Amitri?

I am disappoint.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    In no particular order, and my choice of songs/artists could change on any day:

1. 10cc - Dreadlock Holiday
    2. Adamski - Killer
    3. Cat Stevens - Peace Train
    4. Chris Rea - Bombollini
    5. Del Amitri - Here and Now
    6. Depeche Mode - Policy of Truth
    7. Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
    8. Elvis Costello - Chelsea
    9. James - Sit Down
    10. Marillion - Kayleigh
    11. Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill
    12. Queen - Now I'm Here
    13. Robert Plant - 29 Palms
    14. Tears for Fears - Head Over Heels
    15. Pilot - January
    16. The Who - Pinball Wizard
    17. The Zutons - Why Won't You Give Me Your Love
    18. XTC - Senses Working Overtime
    19. The Clash - London Calling
    20. Elton John - Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I was regretting not having something by James.

Also Jesus Jones. Hugely underrated. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I tried to put my top 20 Radiohead songs together once. Laboured over it but a few years on it’d be different. I’m fucked if I’m even trying this! Far too many choons to choose. 
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1430
    I always thought Dusty Springfield was an Aussie.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    ICBM said:
    No Status Quo so far and nothing by Graham Gouldman be it 10CC or other - Are the BeeGees allowed in a British listing - And what about The Police
    Much as I love Quo - I've got every album up to Never Too Late - I don't think they have one that quite qualifies as being in a best song list.

Police - good shout, I'd probably pick Can't Stand Losing You.

I don't think of the BeeGees as British, but maybe they are.
    So Lonely or Can't Stand Losing You would be my Police shouts, but they do have a fab back catalogue to pick from.  Oddly, I wasn't that keen on them at the height of their fame but I've come to really appreciate them.  I've even managed to push my personal dislike of Sting to one side.  He too has some great solo material - An Englishman In New York is superb, as is Fields Of Gold.

Quo - Caroline or Paper Plane for me.

BGs - the whole of SNF is a masterpiece, and again I was not a fan when it came out.  New York Mining Disaster 1941 would probably be up there as well.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I'm incapable of coming up with a list of 20 best British songs, but I do think the Bee Gees were British.