Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 20 best British songs - Music Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

20 best British songs

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    No Status Quo so far and nothing by Graham Gouldman be it 10CC or other - Are the BeeGees allowed in a British listing - And what about The Police
    Much as I love Quo - I've got every album up to Never Too Late - I don't think they have one that quite qualifies as being in a best song list.

Police - good shout, I'd probably pick Can't Stand Losing You.

I don't think of the BeeGees as British, but maybe they are.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
    edited September 2023

Matty Groves - Fairport Convention.

I'm going to be a total pedant and point out that although this is originally a British folk song, the version Fairport sang comes from America. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
     - Are the BeeGees allowed in a British listing - 
    I've put them in my list. TBH, I think you can make reasonable arguments for and against.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    ICBM said:
    No Status Quo so far and nothing by Graham Gouldman be it 10CC or other - Are the BeeGees allowed in a British listing - And what about The Police
    Much as I love Quo - I've got every album up to Never Too Late - I don't think they have one that quite qualifies as being in a best song list.

Oh Baby and Is There A Better Way trump 99% of the songs already mentioned.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    If we are playing fast and loose with the definition of Brtitish the correct answer is 

Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
    Rainbow - Stargazer
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

When I said 'what about The Police' - I meant are they a British Band, or American 

Bee Gees - Born in the Isle of Man - Raised in Australia - Spent many years in the USA

When I said 'what about The Police' - I meant are they a British Band, or American
    I think they’re a British band with an American drummer… probably.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

I think they’re a British band with an American drummer… probably.
    with a high ranking CIA asset in the family - Wasn't Stewart the founder of The Police
    edited September 2023
    guitars4you said:

with a high ranking CIA asset in the family - Wasn't Stewart the founder of The Police
    Yes. His dad was Miles Copeland - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Copeland_Jr.

Not sure how I forgot Bowie’s Space Oddity on my list either…

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    edited September 2023
    I've given this a try... I don’t actually like some of my list. I’ve tried to be pragmatic. 

Black Sabbath - Ironman
    Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
    Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
    Led Zeppelin - Kashmir
    New Order - Blue Monday
    A Guy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray
    Roni Size - Brown Paper Bag
    Radiohead - Everything In It’s Right Place
    Roots Manuva - Witness
    Chemical Brothers - Leave Home
    The Jam - That’s Entertainment 
    Fleetwood Mac - Man of the World
    The Who - My Generation
    Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World
    Motörhead - Ace of Spades
    Clash - London Calling 
    Blur - For Tomorrow
    Elbow - One Day Like This
    Elton John - Daniel
    Duran Duran - Girls on Film 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Wow! I never knew that The Beautiful South were a British band. You learn something new every day if you remain open to learning something new.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• Here's an arbitrary late twentieth century 20 best songs from the West Midlands list with one per artist and a vague effort to make them not all heavy rock, 2tone and reggae. Not asked for, not really helpful but it gave me something to think about on the toilet. West Midlands connection is a bit of a stretch for some but as no one wanted this list anyway I think that's fine. 

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love
    Steel Pulse - Klu Klux Klan 
    The Selecter - Three Minute Hero
    Slade - Cum on Feel the Noize
    ELO - Mr Blue Sky
    The Moody Blues - Question 
    The Specials - Gangsters
    The Goodies - Black Pudding Bertha
    The Beat - Mirror in the Bathroom
    Judas Priest - Breaking the Law
    Ocean Colour Scene - The Riverboat Song 
    Diamond Head -  Am I Evil
    UB40 - King 
    Duran Duran - Rio
    The Spencer Davis Group - Keep on Running
    Hazel O'Connor - Will You 
    Dexys Midnight Runners - Geno
    Joan Armatrading - Drop the Pilot 
    Wonderstuff - Size of a Cow

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Rocker said:
    Wow! I never knew that The Beautiful South were a British band. You learn something new every day if you remain open to learning something new.....
    @Rocker out of curiosity where did you think they were from? 
    Or is this a joke I'm not getting? 
    tFB Trader
    Rocker said:
    Alabama is down South
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    Rocker said:
    They were a band that I never heard of until I found a couple of their CDs in a charity shop. From their name I assumed that they were from the USA. The CDs I have are good, lovely harmonies and good use of male and female voices. 
    And No, there was no joke hidden in my post. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    Rocker said:
    They were a band that I never heard of until I found a couple of their CDs in a charity shop. From their name I assumed that they were from the USA. The CDs I have are good, lovely harmonies and good use of male and female voices. 
    And No, there was no joke hidden in my post. 
    Ahh, I see where you are coming from, they were a post House Martins band to me and therefore tied to some quite Northern British roots (I've always presumed the name The Beautiful South was ironic). 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3663
    1. XTC - Senses working overtime
    2. Queen - Bohemian rhapsody (it bloody is!)
    3. Level 42 - Running in the family
    4. The Jam - Eton rifles
    5. Duran Duran - Save a prayer
    6. Madness - One step beyond
    7. The Specials - Gangsters
    8. The Clash - White riot
    9. Kate Bush - Army dreamers
    10. Elastica - Connection
    11. The Smiths - How soon is now
    12. Blur - Song 2
    13. Oasis - Rock n roll star
    14. David Bowie - Space oddity
    15. The Damned - Smash it up (parts 1 and 2)
    16. The Who - Bell boy
    17. Elton John - Goodbye Yellow brick road
    18. Buzzcocks - Ever fallen in love 
    19. Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK
    20. Dire Straits - Sultans of swing 

I play at my dining room table.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6405
    Tannin said:
    ^ Mistaken pedantry rejected. 60% (3 out of 5) members makes Fleetwood Mac British. 

Can I kick in with some Jimi Hendrix Experience?  The rhythm section of Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding makes it a predominantly British group.
  • Rocker said:
    Rotterdam, presumably?! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Cols said:
    Tannin said:
    ^ Mistaken pedantry rejected. 60% (3 out of 5) members makes Fleetwood Mac British. 

Can I kick in with some Jimi Hendrix Experience?  The rhythm section of Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding makes it a predominantly British group.
    Also U2 because Edge was born in Essex to Welsh parents and Adam Clayton was born in Oxfordshire and has a posh English accent
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Cols said:
    Tannin said:

Also U2 because Edge was born in Essex to Welsh parents and Adam Clayton was born in Oxfordshire and has a posh English accent
    Guns n Roses coz Slash.

Axl's a knobhead and most people couldn't name any of the others. ;)

• Rocker said:
    Rotterdam, presumably?! 
    Or anywhere
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've found this quite hard to do and I suspect on another day I'd probably come up with several others which could go in the list, depending on what catches my eye scrolling through Spotify or if something triggers a memory of something.

I've decided to restrict myself to one song per artist, otherwise it would be a short list with all the various options from certain bands or singers.

I've also not listed them in order of best-ness, that was too hard. I've just grouped them by decade. Interestingly the 00s were where I got most into music but only one song from that decade makes it. I can only assume that's because I didn't really like British indie bands at the time was more into American music. Also that was the start of the digital music era and also the start of me discovering more and more stuff so i was able to go back in time a lot more via the library, itunes, MusicMatch (if anybody remembers that) and of course my dad's cd collection

Nothing from the 2020s yet as I think they need to face the test of time just yet. But can imagine As It Was, Seventeen Going Under, Bad Habits, or Someone You Loved making it in a few years time for me if they are still holding up

Anyway Here we go

60s
    A Day In the Life - Beatles (Obviously lots of choices here as well)
    Waterloo Sunset - the Kinks
    70s
    Northern Sky - Nick Drake
    Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
    Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
    Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who
    Imagine - Lennon
    Heroes - Bowie
    80s
    This Woman's Work - Kate Bush
    Every Breath You Take - Police
    Should I Stay Or Should I Go - Clash
    90s
    Don't Look Back in Anger - Oasis
    Circle of Life (from The Lion King) - Elton John
    Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve (Though I prefer Drugs Don't Work)
    The Universal - Blur
    High & Dry - Radiohead (several other possibles here too)
    00s
    Rehab - Amy Winehouse
    10s
    Thinking Out Loud - Ed Sheeran
    What He Wrote - Laura Marling
    Someone Like You - Adele
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    I like your list @thecolourbox. Well, the first half of it. I stopped listening to new music around 1990 or 2000  'coz almost all of it was crap and I couldn't be bothered sifting through all that dross to find the gold but your first four decades worth of songs are well-chosen.

I particularly like your choice of Heroes as your one and only Bowie song. I'm damned if I know what it is about that particular number which makes it such a classic, it really doesn't seem like much the first time you hear it, but it just grows and grows on you.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    edited September 2023
    Yeah Heroes has always been my favourite even before I really got into Bowie's stuff. Simplicity, repetition, but enough intrigue and of course that big crescendo. I kind of always felt the chord sequence and rhythm was quite velvet underground ish, but with the Bowie histrionics over the top. Beautifully written and the recording/production is also very satisfying to listen to somehow.

There aren't many on my list after the 90s to be fair so if you liked the 60s through 90s I'm sure you could stomach the remaining 4 songs :)
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2863
    edited September 2023
    Slightly controversial to state this in a thread started by a Australian! 

AC/DC - Back in Black.

Well, the Young brothers were from Glasgow originally, Bon Scott also from Scotland, Cliff Williams and Brian Johnson are English,  Dave Evans the original singer was born in Wales.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    Sporky said:
    As everyone else seems to be doing "songs of your youth", I'll have another go.

Too Much Kissing - Senseless Things
    Happy - Ned's Atomic Dustbin
    Clear Blue Skies - Mega City Four
    You And I - Kingmaker
    Tomorrow's Tears - Cranes
    Teardrop - Massive Attack
    Frozen - Curve
    You Made Me Realise - My Bloody Valentine
    Ten Storey Love Song - Stone Roses
    Big Ship - Cardiacs
    I Am The Sun - Dark Star
    I Kicked A Boy - The Sundays
    Black Metallic - Catherine Wheel
    Dipping - Bleach
    Breathe - Prodigy
    Walking In My Shoes - Depeche Mode
    Suzanne - Moose
    All Of Us - Slowdive
    The Killing Jar - Siouxsie And The Banshees
    For Her Light - Fields Of The Nephilim
    I loved Moose!

Might try and do a list later, but likely to be another "songs of your youth" because that's mainly when I predominantly listened to UK music.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Having reread my list and just seen Sporky's list where i only really recognised one song, it has made me think how I should have included Prodigy's Firestarter in my 90s list! Though appreciate it's a little bit at odds with the otherwise quite square and MOR nature of my list.

Incredible song though and so instantly recognisable from the first note. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    Slightly controversial to state this in a thread started by a Australian! 

AC/DC - Back in Black.

Well, the Young brothers were from Glasgow originally, Bon Scott also from Scotland, Cliff Williams and Brian Johnson are English,  Dave Evans the original singer was born in Wales.
    I would have counted them as British, but they didn't have any songs good enough. :)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    ewal said:

I loved Moose!

Might try and do a list later, but likely to be another "songs of your youth" because that's mainly when I predominantly listened to UK music.
    I know a lot of bands get described as "different live", but Moose were almost unrecognisable on record. Suzanne and Untitled Love Song were my favourites.

Having reread my list and just seen Sporky's list where i only really recognised one song, it has made me think how I should have included Prodigy's Firestarter in my 90s list! 
    Breathe?

I wasn't deliberately going obscure, I was dredging my musical youth for the stuff that most grabbed me - and things that are good songs in themselves.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."