Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 20 best British songs - Music Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

20 best British songs

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 4394
On Saturday nights, we get on-line with our half-a-world-away relatives to drink rakija and talk bullshit (as you do). 

Sometimes we set each other homework and have to come back with lists of ... well, nearly anything. Last week it was "Your Top 20 British Songs". I didn't make notes so I can't tell you their lists, only mine. 

Note that a "song" has  words.  (See any dictionary.) So sadly, Hank B Marvin's sublime Sasha is not a "song" within the meaning of the act. (And yes, we have among our number some legalistic bastard who will bring that up and complain if you try to list an instrumental.) 

(Well, OK, me.)

Anyway, here is my top 20 British songs. I could revise it and add to it and it's shocking how many great songs are not included. But what can you do? I can't bear to leave any of these out, so here it is.

20: Golden Brown The Stranglers
19: Rebel Rebel - David Bowie
18: The Logical Song – Supertramp
17: Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress - the Hollies
16: A Whiter Shade of Pale – Procol Harum

15: Nights in White Satin – Moody Blues
14: Wild Horses - Rolling Stones
13: Fire at Midnight - Jethro Tull
12: The Chain - Fleetwood Mac
11: Heroes - David Bowie

10: Let it Grow - Eric Clapton
9: Yesterday - The Beatles
8: Aqualung - Jethro Tull
7: Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
6: Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols

5: Paperback Writer - Beatles
4: Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones
3: The Hallelujah Chorus - Handel
2: You Can't Always Get What You Want - Rolling Stones
1: Jerusalem - Sir Hubert Parry & William Blake (arr. Elgar). Must be a proper version (i.e., choir and orchestra) none of this ELP crap thank you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    I don’t have a complete list to offer right now, but I do know I’d want Oasis “Don’t look back in anger” in there somewhere.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2600
    'There is a light that never goes out' must be on there?

but my favourite British song is 'Leslie (A Lone Stick of Wheat)' by Vin Garbutt.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Tannin said:

1: Jerusalem - Sir Hubert Parry & William Blake (arr. Elgar).
    One of my late Dad's favourites, and one of mine as it happens.  We sang it at his funeral and Dad would have been chuffed to pieces to know that the organist on the day was one of Parry's direct descendants (sadly also now deceased).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Pedantry: The Chain is not a British song, it's a British-American song. The best *British* Fleetwood Mac song is Man Of The World.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    ^ Mistaken pedantry rejected. 60% (3 out of 5) members makes Fleetwood Mac British. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited September 2023
    Tannin said:

Note that a "song" has  words.  (See any dictionary.) So sadly, Hank B Marvin's sublime Sasha is not a "song" within the meaning of the act. (And yes, we have among our number some legalistic bastard who will bring that up and complain if you try to list an instrumental.) 

If Rachmaninov were British, would we be allowed his Vocalise?
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Luckily, I'n not familiar with it. :) (I have never liked the romantic period generally, and Rachmaninov especially.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Tannin said:
    Luckily, I'n not familiar with it. :) (I have never liked the romantic period generally, and Rachmaninov especially.)
    Fair enough!
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Tannin said:
    ^ Mistaken pedantry rejected. 60% (3 out of 5) members makes Fleetwood Mac British.
    Pedantry upheld: that incarnation of the band is always described as British-American, and although The Chain is actually credited to all five members - it evolved from a collection of previously written parts - the majority of the parts were written by the Americans, and the *song* part of it (the lyrics) definitely was, specifically Stevie Nicks.

Handel was German too, I missed that :).

(OK, a naturalised British subject later in his life.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • It's actually really hard to do this kind of thing really, it is for me anyway. For example a lot of the songs I like I will gladly accept are not as good as some others which I like less. For example Let It Be is a better song than Tomorrow Never Knows or I Am the Walrus, but I know which of those I listen to more often.

I can imagine the lively discussions having to produce this kind of thing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    Handel lived in the UK for decades, and composed most of his best work in the UK. The Messiah had its first  two performances in occupied Ireland which was part of the UK at the time, with the subsequent ones in London. 
  • Nice idea for a thread. Though I'm dismayed by the OP's list. 2 Stones tracks and neither are their best, and The Chain is definitely not a "British Song" imo. I won't even get into Tull, Clapton & Supertramp, which are all just odd imo. 

Anyway, my suggestions, in no particular order: 

1. Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis
    2. The Universal - Blur
    3. Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve (even though I prefer several others, this is the best)
    4. Common People - Pulp
    5. Fake Plastic Trees - Radiohead
    6. Here Comes The Sun - The Beatles 
    7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles
    8. My Generation - The Who
    9. Satisfaction - Rolling Stones (again I like others more but this is the best)
    10. Sweet Dreams (are made of this) - Eurythmics
    11. Live & Let Die - Paul McCartney
    12. Under Pressure - Queen & Bowie
    13. Romeo & Juliet - Dire Straits
    14. Let's Dance - Bowie
    15. All Right Now - Free
    16. Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Divison
    17. This Charming Man - The Smiths 
    18. The Whole of the Moon - The Waterboys 
    19. Angels - Robbie Williams
    20. Merry Xmas Everyone - Slade 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • @stickyfiddle people will query Queen as a British band.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited September 2023
    @stickyfiddle people will query Queen as a British band.
    D Well good luck to them... 

From Wikipedia...

"As Zanzibar was a British protectorate until 1963, Mercury was born a British subject, and on 2 June 1969 was registered a citizen of the United Kingdom and colonies after the family had emigrated to England." 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @stickyfiddle people will query Queen as a British band.
    Which people?
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1204
    edited September 2023
    Incidentally, there is a world of difference between a list of 20 favourite British songs (which is what the OP's list is) and a list that attempts to list (as objectively as possible) a list of the best British songs. No reasonably objective list will have Clapton's Let it Grow or The Hollies' Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress anywhere near it. The latter isn't even in a top 20 list of the best songs by The Hollies.
    No reasonably objective list will have Clapton's Let it Grow or The Hollies' Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress anywhere near it. The latter isn't even in a top 20 list of the best songs by The Hollies.
    Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress, quite so. Just a personal favourite. 

Let it Grow, however, is one of the best dozen love songs ever written anywhere. Yes it comes from Clapton, but that's not the song's fault. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    I can’t see any (electronic) dance music in these lists. 

A scene which we’ve lead the world for years. 

I know it’s a guitar forum, but ignoring British electronic music is a blinkered approach. 

Shame on you :lol: 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 169
    no "just like heaven" by The Cure? Fail.

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 169
    @stickyfiddle people will query Queen as a British band.
    Crazy people?

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• WYNIR0 said:

I was *this close* to putting it on mine - honest! 
  • Tannin said:
    On Saturday nights, we get on-line with our half-a-world-away relatives to drink rakija and talk bullshit (as you do). 

Sometimes we set each other homework and have to come back with lists of ... well, nearly anything. Last week it was "Your Top 20 British Songs". I didn't make notes so I can't tell you their lists, only mine. 

(Well, OK, me.)

Anyway, here is my top 20 British songs. I could revise it and add to it and it's shocking how many great songs are not included. But what can you do? I can't bear to leave any of these out, so here it is.

20: Golden Brown The Stranglers
    19: Rebel Rebel - David Bowie
    18: The Logical Song – Supertramp
    17: Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress - the Hollies
    16: A Whiter Shade of Pale – Procol Harum

15: Nights in White Satin – Moody Blues
    14: Wild Horses - Rolling Stones
    13: Fire at Midnight - Jethro Tull
    12: The Chain - Fleetwood Mac
    11: Heroes - David Bowie

10: Let it Grow - Eric Clapton
    9: Yesterday - The Beatles
    8: Aqualung - Jethro Tull
    7: Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
    6: Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols

5: Paperback Writer - Beatles
    4: Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones
    3: The Hallelujah Chorus - Handel
    2: You Can't Always Get What You Want - Rolling Stones
    1: Jerusalem - Sir Hubert Parry & William Blake (arr. Elgar). Must be a proper version (i.e., choir and orchestra) none of this ELP crap thank you.

Yup, totally agree those are definitely the best British songs ever.

;) 

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    edited September 2023
    So you like that Steps song. There's no shame in it. What would Chris do?

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    Judas Priest - Dreamer Deceiver/Deceiver
    Iron Maiden - 22 Acacia Avenue
    Napalm Death - Evolved As One
    Madness - Our House
    Groundhogs - Cherry Red
    Carcass - Exhume To Consume
    Leatherface - Not A Day Goes By
    UFO - Doctor Doctor
    Deep Purple - Child In TIme
    Led Zeppelin - Out On The Tiles
    The Specials - Ghost Town
    Budgie - Breadfan
    Echo And The Bunnymen - The Killing Moon
    Angel Witch - Angel Witch
    Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil (a touch one as loads of killer songs to choose from in the 60s)
    The Beatles - Elenor Rigby
    Hawkwind - The Psychedelic Warlords
    Edgar Broughton Band - Evening Over Rooftops
    Sabbat - Hosana In Excelsior

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    April Skies - the Jesus And Mary Chain
    I Am The Message - Fightstar
    Can't Be Sure - The Sundays
    Push - The Cure
    Open Wound - Svalbard
    All Of Us - Slowdive
    Two More Years - Bloc Party
    Hold/Release - Palm Reader
    If I Sit Still, Maybe I'll Get Out Of Here - This Town Needs Guns
    Dogstar - Hybrid
    Jonny Sniper - Enter Shikari
    Silver - Hundred Reasons
    Lucrecia My Reflection - Sisters of Mercy
    Stolen Car - Beth Orton
    UFOs - Amplifier
    Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs - Oceansize
    High Spirits - Conjurer & Pjin
    Never Lose That Feeling, Never Learn - Swervedriver
    Gorecki - Lamb
    Cover Me - Sunscreem (but the version from Ten Mile Bank)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Reverend said:

Angel Witch - Angel Witch

My word!  I remember their track 'Baphomet' from the 'Metal For Muthas' album released in c.1980. I even went to see them (they were crap).

Front Cover Photo Of VARIOUS ARTISTS - Metal for Muthas Iron Maiden NWOBHM 12 LP ALBUM VINYL

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Baphomet is a killer song. They were too heavy for the time, got loads of stick from the press but massively influential with the likes of Metallica and Megadeth, as well the whole black and death metal scenes later on. 

Saw them in the late 90s and then seen them loads since they came back about 15 years ago. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    WYNIR0 said:

Not when they also did "Push".

I'm not sure Just Like Heaven is even one of the Cure's best twenty songs. Though it is better than most of the things on most of the lists posted thus far...

;) etc
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    You Really Got Me
    Dedicated Follower of Fashion
    Lola
    Tired of Waiting for You
    Shangri-La
    The End of the Day
    Picture Book
    Apeman
    All Day and all of the Night
    Waterloo Sunset

Life on Mars
    Queen Bitch
    Alladin Sane
    Suffragette City
    TVC15
    Young Americans
    Modern Love
    Ashes to Ashes
    Space Obbity
    Lady Stardust

But also...

War Pigs
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Paranoid
    NIB
    Snowblind

No Good
    Voodoo People
    Out of Space
    Everybody in the Place
    Fire

London is the Place for Me
    Jump in the Line
    Steel Band Music
    Shame and Scandal
    Kitch Come go to Bed

That's 5 artists. Over 30 Songs. I'm doing this wrong.

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong