Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 20 best British songs - Music Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

20 best British songs

What's Hot

Comments

• Why do people love Lola? Our drummer keeps suggesting it but it's stupidly boring and no-one under 30 knows it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Reverend said:
    Baphomet is a killer song. They were too heavy for the time, got loads of stick from the press but massively influential with the likes of Metallica and Megadeth, as well the whole black and death metal scenes later on. 

Saw them in the late 90s and then seen them loads since they came back about 15 years ago. 
    Yep, Baphomet was a cracking track as was Angel Witch but they were awful when I saw them.  Admittedly the venue was the size of a broom cupboard - think it was in the back of London boozer...?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    GoFish said:
    Waterloo Sunset

I don't think any song should be included if there's a cover better than the original (see also Just Like Heaven). 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082

Sporky said:
    GoFish said:
    Waterloo Sunset

I don't think any song should be included if there's a cover better than the original (see also Just Like Heaven). 

Cathy Dennis''s ill -fated cover doesn't count :bleep_bloop: But some of the other great pop songs she has written should.

I guess we'd cover for both these if we say that we are listing songs, not performances. it's a bit legalistic though. 

Besides, why argue over Just like Heaven when we have Friday I'm in Love?

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I should put more smileys in my posts.

Waterloo Sunset is jolly good, and it is the song we are putting forward, as you say. :) 

I forgot New England. 
    1. Here Comes The Sun - The Beatles 
    I was going to say that but I wasn't sure if this was a safe place. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    Hmmm - george harrison
    they'd have to evoke an image of Britishness or capture a point in time in Britain...
    • Bus Stop - The Hollies
    • Something In The Air - Thunderclap Newman
    • Nights In White Satin - Moody Blues
    • White Room - Cream
    • Cum On Feel The Noize - Slade
    • London Calling - The Clash
    • Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
    • Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty
    • The Day We Caught The Train - Ocean Colour Scene
    • Wonderwall - Oasis
    • Arthur - Rick Wakeman
    • Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum
    • Try Me - UFO
    • In A Big Country - Big Country
    • Stand On Your Liver - Adam Ant
    • A View To a Keel - Duran Duran
    • Relax - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
    • While My Guitar Gently Weeps - George Harrison
    • Jet - Wings

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Incidentally, there is a world of difference between a list of 20 favourite British songs (which is what the OP's list is) and a list that attempts to list (as objectively as possible) a list of the best British songs. No reasonably objective list will have Clapton's Let it Grow or The Hollies' Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress anywhere near it. The latter isn't even in a top 20 list of the best songs by The Hollies.
    It's also criminal to leave out The Kinks  :)
  • No Depeche Mode yet?!

• Nothing by THE JAM?!

• WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 169
    Sporky said:
    WYNIR0 said:
    no "just like heaven" by The Cure? Fail.

Not when they also did "Push".

I'm not sure Just Like Heaven is even one of the Cure's best twenty songs. Though it is better than most of the things on most of the lists posted thus far...

;) etc
    Greatest love song ever written IMHO Sporks old pal.

monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

No Depeche Mode yet?!
    I'd considered Enjoy The Silence - not my favourite of theirs, but a superb bit of pop songwriting. 
    WYNIR0 said:

Greatest love song ever written IMHO Sporks old pal.

Wotcher!

I was probably a bit harsh with "not in their top 20" - it is a jolly good song. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Why do people love Lola? Our drummer keeps suggesting it but it's stupidly boring and no-one under 30 knows it.

Because its a great song and pretty much on topic .....................

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4314
    Pick four by any five of the following

The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks. The Animals, Cream, The Move, etc.

You don't really have to go past 1975 for a very impressive list.  In fact, you could do this by decade and it would be easier.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    edited September 2023
    Tannin said:
     to drink rakija

Which kind?
    Well .. are we telling the truth here?

All of them.

Here in Tasmania, we can only get one kind, Badel Travarica, plus Badel slivovitz (remembering that slivovitz is in fact a type of rakija).

They cost, respectively, $75 and $78 a bottle. In Croatia, we pay €9 or €10. (Say about $16 or $18.)  Oh, and you can buy at least six different ones at any supermarket (often many more than 6). Not to mention that your next-door neighbour's uncle makes it and he's been doing it since 1964 and is really good at it. He'll sell you 5 litres of the real stuff (better than you can buy in a shop) for 20 or 30 Euros, or swap you for some vegetables you pickled, or maybe just give it to you as a thankyou for mowing his lawn. 

Mrs Tannin and I were just remarking that if we gave up drinking for a year or so, we would not only be healthier, we could afford to buy a return ticket to Croatia .. er ... and drink a lot of  €10 rakija.

In mainland Australia there are many more to choose from. Sometimes we mail-order all sorts of interesting rakijas from Melbourne. 

PS: Most of the countries in South-east Europe make rakija (spelling it in various ways) and I think they all claim to be "the original" one. We haven't really got around to sampling many from outside Croatia. Not sure our livers could stand it, to be honest!

I think I tried some of that in Hungary.

It was not to my taste. To the point that I think I should probably be a little scared of anyone who can enjoy it, because they must be a lot tougher than I am!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Tannin said:
    Tannin said:
     to drink rakija

Which kind?
    Well .. are we telling the truth here?

All of them.

Here in Tasmania, we can only get one kind, Badel Travarica, plus Badel slivovitz (remembering that slivovitz is in fact a type of rakija).

They cost, respectively, $75 and $78 a bottle. In Croatia, we pay €9 or €10. (Say about $16 or $18.)  Oh, and you can buy at least six different ones at any supermarket (often many more than 6). Not to mention that your next-door neighbour's uncle makes it and he's been doing it since 1964 and is really good at it. He'll sell you 5 litres of the real stuff (better than you can buy in a shop) for 20 or 30 Euros, or swap you for some vegetables you pickled, or maybe just give it to you as a thankyou for mowing his lawn. 

Mrs Tannin and I were just remarking that if we gave up drinking for a year or so, we would not only be healthier, we could afford to buy a return ticket to Croatia .. er ... and drink a lot of  €10 rakija.

In mainland Australia there are many more to choose from. Sometimes we mail-order all sorts of interesting rakijas from Melbourne. 

PS: Most of the countries in South-east Europe make rakija (spelling it in various ways) and I think they all claim to be "the original" one. We haven't really got around to sampling many from outside Croatia. Not sure our livers could stand it, to be honest!

Oh yes, that's exactly what my Croatian friend told me when she moved to Australia few years ago, only two kinds of store bought rakija of poor quality, and insanely expensive.

Here in Balkans, when you move towards rural areas and smaller towns, almost every household produces decent to quality rakijas for home uses, due to less strict laws. There are also tons of legal top shelf stuff from smaller manufacturers, you can buy real psychedelic stuff for up to 30-40 euros a bottle max.They are made from plums mostly (šljivovica, and this is usually the stronger rakija, up to 55%), and also from quinces, apricots, pears, apples... and also travarica, with assorted herbs. In the Croatian seaside (Dalmatia and Istria) there also rakijas made of locust bean, myrtle and such stuff, they are also great but with greater amount of sugar.

Fuck, now I'm craving some quality rakijas :/ But I tend to avoid them in recent years due to high sugar amount, I drink mostly vodka. But there are some real ayahuasca experiences with real quality ones.
  • rlw said:
    Why do people love Lola? Our drummer keeps suggesting it but it's stupidly boring and no-one under 30 knows it.

Because its a great song and pretty much on topic .....................

It's just a plodder. Next to zero energy and doesn't go anywhere. I've just never seen the point
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086
    Some favourites:

Dire Straits - Tunnel of Love
    Hazel O'Conner - Will You
    Silver Sun - Lava
    Terrorvision - Oblivion/Perseverence (can't decide)
    Blur - End of a Century
    Supergrass - She's So Loose
    Elvis Costello - Watching The Detectives
    The Freshies - I Can't Get Bouncing Babies by The Teardrop Explodes
    The Beautiful South - Dumb
    Jessie J - Price Tag
    Small Faces - Afterglow
    Juliet Turner - Take The Money & Run
    Siouxsie And The Banshees - Happy House
    Killing Joke - Wardance
    Muse - Plug In Baby
    The Jam - Strange Town/When You're Young
    Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
    XTC - Mayor of Simpleton
    Laura Marling - Blow by Blow
    ELO - Shangri-La
    Zodiac Mindwarp & The Love Reaction - Untamed Stare
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    Sporky said:
    No Depeche Mode yet?!
    I'd considered Enjoy The Silence - not my favourite of theirs, but a superb bit of pop songwriting. 
    ^^ Yep - it's a brilliant song and my fave DM track.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Twenty of my favourites, in I think approximately chronological order, but only one allowed per artist. No apologies for being very mainstream choices, that’s because they are great songs which have stood the test of time.

The Beatles - In My Life
    The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset
    The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil
    Ralph McTell - Streets Of London
    Fleetwood Mac - Man Of The World
    The Who - Behind Blue Eyes
    Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven
    Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water
    Pink Floyd - Time
    Queen - Brighton Rock
    Elton John - Candle In The Wind
    Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill
    Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
    The Clash - London Calling
    Dire Straits - Tunnel Of Love
    Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight
    Tears For Fears - Mad World
    Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
    Wham! - Careless Whisper
    Pet Shop Boys - It's A Sin

Too many great songs left out for it to be possible to say they're anywhere near the best though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Who Knows Where the Time Goes - Sandy Denny.

You Really Got Me - The Kinks

Stepping Out - Joe Jackson

How Deep is Your Love - Bee Gees

In My Life - Beatles

True - Spandau Ballet

Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who

Beautiful Ones - Suede

Enola Gay - OMD

Daniel - Elton John

Up The Junction - Squeeze

Wild Horses - The Stones

1952 Vincent Back Lightning - Richard Thompson

Shipbuilding - Elvis Costello

Reflections of My Life - Marmalade

Father and Son - Cat Stevens

Life on Mars - Bowie

Space Age Love Song - A Flock of Seagulls

West End Girls- Pet Shop Boys

Man of the World - Fleetwood Mac

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 399
    Great thread …. I am sure this list would be different on any chosen day of the week but today the ones that spring to mind are ……

1 Wont get fooled again - the Who

2 Whole lotta love - Zep

3 Maid in Heaven - Be Bop Deluxe

4 God Save the Queen - Sex Pistols

5 No More Heroes - Stranglers

6 Neon Nights - Sabbath

7 Dakota - Stereophonics

8 A Day in the Life - Beatles 

9 Waterfront - Simple Minds 

10 Day of the Eagle - Robin Trower

11 Deal with the Preacher - Bad Company

12 Running up that Hill - Kate Bush

13 Red Rain - Peter Gabriel

14 Woke up Laughing - Robert Palmer

15 Woman in Chains - Tears for Fears

16 In a Rut - The Ruts 

17 Getting Tighter - Deep Purple

18 Can you dig it? - Mock Turtles

19 pyjamarama - Roxy Music

20 Watcher of the Skies - Genesis 

I quite like the Beach by All Saints too but only because … William Orbit 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    PeteC said:

I quite like the Beach by All Saints too but only because … William Orbit 

I think that one is a glorious combination. Same as his Madonna album, and his stuff with Beth Orton. He's the common factor, but his best stuff has the best contributing partners. 
  • I'm not sure about the other 19, but I'm fairly sure Ace of Spades should be on the list.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Waterloo Sunset - Kinks.
    Some of Shelley's Hangups - Blyth Power.
    Floating Anarchy - Here and Now. 
    Vincent Black Lightning - Richard Thompson. 
    Pink Moon - Nick Drake.
    St Domonic's Preview - Van Morrison.
    New Rose - The Damned. 
    I am the Resurrection - The Stone Roses.
    Songs that make Sophie fizz - Martha Tilston. 
    I've had enough - The Who. 
    Taking Tiger Mountain - Brian Eno. 
    If there is something - Roxy Music. 
    Matty Groves - Fairport Convention.
    Albatross - Fleetwood Mac. 
    Dry The Rain - The Beta Band. 
    Them's the vagaries  - Half Man Half Biscuit. 
    Right to decide - Hawkwind. 
    Rudi can't fail - The Clash. 
    Seagulmania - The Astronauts. 
    The most beguiling eyes - Clive Gregson and Christine Collister. 

I've excluded the Smiths and The Beatles, or else there'd be nothing else. 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    edited September 2023 tFB Trader
    No Status Quo so far and nothing by Graham Gouldman be it 10CC or other - Are the BeeGees allowed in a British listing - And what about The Police
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader

Mungo Jerry - In the summertime
    Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
    Pink Floyd - Shine on you crazy diamond
    Tears for Fears - everybody wants to rule the world
    Squeeze - Cool for cats
    Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel - Make me smile (Come up and see me)
    Duffy - Warwick Avenue
    Mark Ronson feat Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk
    Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax
    Ian Dury and the Block heads - Hit me with your Rhythm Stick
    The Who - Can you see the real me
    The Who - Squeeze Box
    Slade - Goodbye to Jane
    John Lennon - Stand by me - Think my only cover in this list
    David Bowie - Let's Dance 
    Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
    Sade - Smooth Operator
    The Specials - Ghost Town
    Sailor - Girls Girls Girls
    The Animals - We gotta get out of this place
    As everyone else seems to be doing "songs of your youth", I'll have another go.

Too Much Kissing - Senseless Things
    Happy - Ned's Atomic Dustbin
    Clear Blue Skies - Mega City Four
    You And I - Kingmaker
    Tomorrow's Tears - Cranes
    Teardrop - Massive Attack
    Frozen - Curve
    You Made Me Realise - My Bloody Valentine
    Ten Storey Love Song - Stone Roses
    Big Ship - Cardiacs
    I Am The Sun - Dark Star
    I Kicked A Boy - The Sundays
    Black Metallic - Catherine Wheel
    Dipping - Bleach
    Breathe - Prodigy
    Walking In My Shoes - Depeche Mode
    Suzanne - Moose
    All Of Us - Slowdive
    The Killing Jar - Siouxsie And The Banshees
    For Her Light - Fields Of The Nephilim
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter